Posted 13 July 2015 - 23:06

Fun times for Alonso.

http://www.foxsports...-minutes-071215

Advertisement

#2 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 23:25

repost, also he wasn't last when he started.

More like mid field.

#3 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 00:57

Josef Newgarden did something similar at a Formula Ford festival a few years ago, in the rain, no less.

More dramatically, I'll always remember Cliff Brown and Danny Steyn for the unbelievable show they put on in the Spec Miata 'Luck of the Draw' race at the American Road Race of Champions at Road Atlanta a few years ago. Gridded--by random draw--on the back row of a 26 car field, they were running 1-2 by lap two and then proceeded to carry on a 19 lap duel for the lead, which ended with the pair of them running side-by-side into and through turn 12 to finish only 0.1 apart. One of the best races I've ever seen, without question.

#4 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:11

Verstappen says hi:

#5 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:54

Fun times for Alonso.

http://www.foxsports...-minutes-071215

Cool video  :)

#6 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:22

Who'd have thought it? A double world champion formula one super star is good in a go kart......

Nice video though. :)

#7 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,842 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:50

Very interesting to watch... I once talked to Huub Rothengatter about how Jos Verstappen and Fisichella could be so blindingly fast at karting. Huub understood where Jos got his time, but was perplexed by Fisichella. At said conversation we ended by putting dozens napkins as a track on a table to understand it... with the salts and pepper shaker as the karts.

Because I suck at karting myself (not so strange, perhaps, being 6 foot 6 and weighing 186 pounds) it is with uttermost modesty that I say: it is lines and knowing the slowest (but not too slow) entrance-speed. Almost all of the overtakes that Alonso performs are because the driver in front does not accelerate any more at the exit. They go in a little bit too fast, have toe either lift or maintain constant throttle... Alonso, however, just seems to speed up LONG after the has put in full throttle.

#8 ANF

ANF

• 29,232 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:14

This Video Was Embedded at FOXSports.com

You Won't Believe What Happens If You Click It Here

#9 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:36

Onboard cameras.  :up:

#10 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:37

All those overtakes in 3 laps?

I'm going to presume it wasn't a Honda engined kart...

#11 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:40

Daytona use Rotax powered Birels I beleive.

#12 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,817 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:43

More like mid field.

:rolleyes:

#13 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:57

Now the real question is who would come out on top if all the current F1 drivers went for a kart race :)

#14 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:59

Get out of the way Fernando is faster than you  :D

#15 GhostR

GhostR

• 3,782 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:06

More like mid field.

Wasn't last when they pulled away, but he was (deliberately, I think) last on the approach to turn 1 before stepping on the gas and going for it.

#16 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,267 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:07

Not bad, this Alonso kid, is he? I reckon he's ready for a step up for FFord next season!  :D

#17 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,353 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:51

His move on the #145 cart is affectionately known as the Austrian Tap.

#18 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:53

It's amazing how they make these stories seem bigger than they are. There isn't a club kart driver in the country that doesn't do the same every time they go fro a corporate karting hack in those things.

#19 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 13:38

Now the real question is who would come out on top if all the current F1 drivers went for a kart race :)

Most likely Max Verstappen as it is like riding a bike, you never truely unlearn but you will struggle against those who do it daily. And simply put Max has the most recent experience, also he reached the biggest successes of all drivers in karting, making him the most likely candidate to win that race.

Reminds me, I know they have that RoC but they used to have the awesome indoor karting event at end of year in bercy. Used to love that.

Advertisement

#20 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 13:45

It's amazing how they make these stories seem bigger than they are. There isn't a club kart driver in the country that doesn't do the same every time they go fro a corporate karting hack in those things.

Well, at least it's a motoring event. Could be much worse, like being in the news for cheesy celebrity activities or funny dresses.

#21 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 18:44

Post-retirement 1.0 MSC schooling some active F1/IndyCar stars in a kart-

Edited by Dan333SP, 20 July 2015 - 18:45.

#22 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 19:04

Most likely Max Verstappen as it is like riding a bike, you never truely unlearn but you will struggle against those who do it daily. And simply put Max has the most recent experience, also he reached the biggest successes of all drivers in karting, making him the most likely candidate to win that race.

Reminds me, I know they have that RoC but they used to have the awesome indoor karting event at end of year in bercy. Used to love that.

they had that in 2011. Vergne started both races from pole, won one, finished second to Bianchi in the other.

#23 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 19:22

Agreed. In decent karts no one would get anywhere near Verstappen. And I mean no one, the kid is on another level.

I always find it kinda sad that the Massa event never invites current professional kart drivers.... wonder why? :)

#24 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 20:08

Agreed. In decent karts no one would get anywhere near Verstappen. And I mean no one, the kid is on another level.
I always find it kinda sad that the Massa event never invites current professional kart drivers.... wonder why? :)

Well they had a race in begin with Sainz also being blown away. He even raced against Schumacher once but Max was on his peak and Michael was not really prepared.

Also remembered Berger once one a F1 drivers kart race by sabotaging every kart before the race.

#25 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 21:46

Anyone who thinks Verstappen would beat Fernando, Lewis, Vettel, etc. in karting Needs a reality check.

#26 pRy

pRy

• 26,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 22:01

Because I suck at karting myself (not so strange, perhaps, being 6 foot 6 and weighing 186 pounds) it is with uttermost modesty that I say: it is lines and knowing the slowest (but not too slow) entrance-speed. Almost all of the overtakes that Alonso performs are because the driver in front does not accelerate any more at the exit. They go in a little bit too fast, have toe either lift or maintain constant throttle... Alonso, however, just seems to speed up LONG after the has put in full throttle.

To my non racing eyes it looked as if he was just far superior at carrying more speed around the corners and keeping the revs high enough resulting in him being generally more efficient around the corners. It was impressive to watch. 

#27 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 22:22

All those overtakes in 3 laps?

I'm going to presume it wasn't a Honda engined kart...

It actually had the same engine they are currently using in F1  :lol:  :lol:

#28 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 22:31

Anyone who thinks Verstappen would beat Fernando, Lewis, Vettel, etc. in karting Needs a reality check.

Or they just looks here...

https://www.driverdb...max-verstappen/

...and know Max still karts every time he can (as Franz Tost told him to do).  ;)

Edited by CurbPainter, 20 July 2015 - 23:32.

#29 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 23:50

We know people who are amazing in karts aren't always amazing in F1, and visa versa. 

But these guys are all the upper echelon so expect them to be handy at least. 

#30 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 00:40

We know people who are amazing in karts aren't always amazing in F1, and visa versa. 

But these guys are all the upper echelon so expect them to be handy at least. 

Yes they are still good at it...Max his dad went karting with Schumacher every now and then also in the 90s when Schumacher was dominating F1...they took turns back then in who was beating who (with karting of course)...once Max started to beat Jos with karting, Jos knew how good Max was.  ;)

This is a good onboard of Max karting against stiff competition...

Edited by CurbPainter, 21 July 2015 - 00:40.

#31 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:09

Anyone who thinks Verstappen would not be capable of beating Fernando, Lewis, Vettel etc in karting needs a reality check.

It wont be a walk in the park or easy as offcourse, these guys all want to win and can, but any broker will put Max in top odds to win such a race.

#32 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:17

:lol:  

No, he'd more than hold his own against them. I'd be surprised if he didn't win to be honest.

Edited by Brandz07, 21 July 2015 - 11:19.

#33 Levike

Levike

• 1,040 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:13

At least we know that Hamilton is not too good at it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=l55ENjwBX-Y

#34 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 13:14

At least we know that Hamilton is not too good at it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=l55ENjwBX-Y

OTOH.

#35 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 13:27

Giorgio Pantano could probably beat the whole current grid in a kart.

#36 Brod

Brod

• 1,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 13:33

Hard to tell. Alonso, Hamilton, Verstappen and Button were (probably still are (; ) really good kart drivers.

It's said Hülkenberg was very talented too, but he started a bit late ( at 10). 

#37 chrisPB15

chrisPB15

• 423 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:19

Anyone who thinks Verstappen would not be capable of beating Fernando, Lewis, Vettel etc in karting needs a reality check.

It wont be a walk in the park or easy as offcourse, these guys all want to win and can, but any broker will put Max in top odds to win such a race.

At their peak, you need a reality check if you're going to single out Verstappen as being the best.  Karting is where F1 drivers learnt the trade and many F1 drivers have used it to keep themselves sharp and fit for F1. They re more likely to get rusty driving F1 cars.

You will also hear of young drivers who were apparantly quicker than famous ones yet never had the nurturing and money to get near the front. Verstappen and Hamilton had the best possible nurturing kids could require for the sport not to mention were never short of money, unlike 50% of the racers they would have progressed against.

Terry Fullerton would have probably have beaten Verstappen.

Edited by chrisPB15, 22 July 2015 - 09:27.

#38 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:35

Am I the only person who thinks this was a stage managed publicity stunt?

#39 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 14:40

At their peak, you need a reality check if you're going to single out Verstappen as being the best. Karting is where F1 drivers learnt the trade and many F1 drivers have used it to keep themselves sharp and fit for F1. They re more likely to get rusty driving F1 cars.
You will also hear of young drivers who were apparantly quicker than famous ones yet never had the nurturing and money to get near the front. Verstappen and Hamilton had the best possible nurturing kids could require for the sport not to mention were never short of money, unlike 50% of the racers they would have progressed against.
Terry Fullerton would have probably have beaten Verstappen.

You dont realise it but you just made a compelling case why Verstappen would be most likely to win such a kart race. And dont get me wrong I am not thinking bad about any of these other drivers. But Verstappen has raced against the karting kings of now, the kart drivers who have everything in karting and never progressed to single seater racing. Verstappen raced against them and beaten them. They had the ecperience and all the equipment a driver could desire. But Verstappen managed to surprise and win. He would have even raced Schumacher once but Michael backed out once he saw that the speed difference was too much.

Advertisement

#40 igoru

igoru

• 498 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 15:11

FA

#41 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 15:19

Probably yes. What is the point of doing something like that?.

Edited by kosmos, 22 July 2015 - 15:20.

#42 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 15:27

Just to keep this in perspective, FA's fastest lap on that board is in the same ballpark as the times my friends and I set when we race the Dmax karts at Sandown and I am probably 15kg heavier than Fernando.

#43 chrisPB15

chrisPB15

• 423 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 15:33

You dont realise it but you just made a compelling case why Verstappen would be most likely to win such a kart race. And dont get me wrong I am not thinking bad about any of these other drivers. But Verstappen has raced against the karting kings of now, the kart drivers who have everything in karting and never progressed to single seater racing. Verstappen raced against them and beaten them. They had the ecperience and all the equipment a driver could desire. But Verstappen managed to surprise and win. He would have even raced Schumacher once but Michael backed out once he saw that the speed difference was too much.

are you saying Verstappen had less experience and a lower budget than these 'karting kings' ?  He certainly had the best nurturing a kid could get.

#44 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 15:38

Giorgio Pantano could probably beat the whole current grid in a kart.

He'd be hard beat anyway.

Went from last to 3rd (I think) in the 1999 FSA World Championship in a field that included Raikkonen and Alonso. One of the best races I've ever seen

https://youtu.be/8ibC8NSUnZU

Current F1 driver race though?

My money would be on a Hamilton/Alonso/Verstappen top 3. Not a clue what order though.....

#45 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 21:02

Daytona at Sandown is a great little track, visited it many times myself. Thanks for sharing the vid, wish I was in that little pack! :)

#46 Tzaca

Tzaca

• 10 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 17:27

Just to keep this in perspective, FA's fastest lap on that board is in the same ballpark as the times my friends and I set when we race the Dmax karts at Sandown and I am probably 15kg heavier than Fernand

This doesn't mean anything , Daytona turn down the dmax engines quite often, to make the most of their short life span (+ 30h, then they rebuilt them). Then you have track temperature, tires wear, head wind on the main straight etc.  My personal best at Sandow is 0,3sec faster than Alonso's , same weight as him. I'm really that good ? :) Nope

LE got really wrong Alonso's lap time

Edited by Tzaca, 02 August 2015 - 14:36.

#47 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 21:52

No, I thought that was obvious and am surprised it's being taken seriously. It's an advert for TW Steel. More interesting that 'Alonso drives a kart'.