* * * * - 8 votes

Keep Fighting, Michael

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1678 replies to this topic

#751 RandomG

RandomG

• 509 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 13:31

The only hope we have is that we know the family has been spending all the money they have on his health. I know Mrs Schumacher sold a lot of their wealth off just to ensure he continued to have the medical care he needed.

Its my personal belief they wouldn't be spending that amount of money on someone who is in a persistent vegetative state.

Edited by SophieB, 07 September 2017 - 14:04.

Advertisement

#752 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,116 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 13:43

This thread really is going round in circles now - agree with past poster that it should be closed and only re-opened if there is genuine news/update.

Thoughts?

#753 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 13:46

No, not agree. Why can't we talk about it? 

#754 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 14:03

No, not agree. Why can't we talk about it?

Because there is nothing to talk about. Unless of course, you want to talk about some people's belief that they have some sort of god given right to know everything about their famous person of choice, irrespective of how that person was fiercely protective of their family and the privacy they were entitled to.

I repeat, nothing to talk about.

#755 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 14:09

Because there is nothing to talk about. Unless of course, you want to talk about some people's belief that they have some sort of god given right to know everything about their famous person of choice, irrespective of how that person was fiercely protective of their family and the privacy they were entitled to.

Nowadays even news are made out of nothing. This is what a speculative mind lives off.  :p

#756 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 14:32

13 Reasons Why Nothing Is Worth Talking About

#757 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 14:37

So don't visit this thread?  :confused:

#758 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 14:51

Some posters would like to show words of support whenever they are reminded of Michael Schumacher, and we'd like to keep the thread open for that. Just the other weekend we were all reminded when Mick Schumacher took the Benetton out at Spa, and I rather expected to see this thread resurface for that reason. Instead I am seeing posts about wanting to see it closed. What a shame.

Please don't continue discussing whether the thread should be open. Nobody is forced to read it and it seems somewhat undignified and disrespectful to close it (or be forced to close it) while he is in some sense still with us.

If you take issue with this, please don't say so here. PM me or 'report' my post so that your message doesn't continue the off topic discussion.

#759 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,706 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 21:19

to be fair when he said 'not here' he meant not there at the opening of his exhibition.

Could have been less ambiguous about it then! But it was followed by "We must accept it and hope with everything we have that, with continued support and patience, he will one day be back with us." which sort of implies that he's not there in a more general sense.

Advertisement

#760 CockneyRebel

CockneyRebel

• 40 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 21:47

I think it's pretty clear that the Schumacher we knew will never be back. Some people think that one day we see him being interviewed right as rain, it just isn't happening I'm afraid. In a way it's in the fans best interest to keep them in the dark because would you seriously want to see any pics or videos with the state he will be in now? No thanks, I want my memories of him to be the ones when he was the real Michael Schumacher.

Edited by CockneyRebel, 07 September 2017 - 21:48.

#761 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:06

People who don't want to follow this thread should simply just not follow the thread and stop notifications. People who want to follow the thread and want to post can continue to do this. I think we have to be respectful of the family's wish to keep everything private and who am I to judge whether this is right or wrong because I'm not the one going through it and dealing with it on a day to day basis. On balance, I would prefer some facts from the family concerning the prognosis but, I say again, I completely respect the family's decision to deal with it how they want to.

#762 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,289 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:29

I can see both sides of the story, from a personal perspective I have logged on to the forum and seen this topic near the top of the board, clicked onto it expecting some news or an update and been left deflated, but its nice for the fans to have somewhere to talk about nothing, lets hope MS keeps fighting. 

#763 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 14:37

Yes, I think locking this thread is nonsense, if some people want to talk about this topic, who are you to forbid them? If you dont want to, then dont enter the thread and problem solved.

#764 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 1,120 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 21:26

Some posters would like to show words of support whenever they are reminded of Michael Schumacher, and we'd like to keep the thread open for that. Just the other weekend we were all reminded when Mick Schumacher took the Benetton out at Spa, and I rather expected to see this thread resurface for that reason. Instead I am seeing posts about wanting to see it closed. What a shame.

Please don't continue discussing whether the thread should be open. Nobody is forced to read it and it seems somewhat undignified and disrespectful to close it (or be forced to close it) while he is in some sense still with us.

If you take issue with this, please don't say so here. PM me or 'report' my post so that your message doesn't continue the off topic discussion.

Thanks!!

#765 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:05

I neither endorse nor condemn this link. I show for general interest.

#766 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 17:18

Keep Fighting Michael !

#767 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 17:38

I neither endorse nor condemn this link. I show for general interest.

Seeing as they can’t decide whether his last name is Meeks or Weeks, I’m not holding my breath.

#768 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,393 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:10

Seeing as they can’t decide whether his last name is Meeks or Weeks, I’m not holding my breath.

The news of moving to the US for the new/experimental treatment is now all over the main-stream press though.

#769 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:23

The news of moving to the US for the new/experimental treatment is now all over the main-stream press though.

Well, not all over it. Thankfully. I'm not saying it's fake, because I wouldn't know, but the story was originally published in the sports edition of this magazine:

3e6c3ad0f56fb5cdb873141a40560a8d.jpg

#770 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,393 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:59

I've seen the Swedish "Expressen" being referred as source as well. Don't know that newspaper though. And it's not as if I know ~Swedish~ anyway...

#771 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:08

Swedish is my native language. The article says exactly the same stuff as the other one linked to here. I can't imagine "Expressen" being the first hand source for Schumi info, no way.

#772 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:20

I've seen the Swedish "Expressen" being referred as source as well. Don't know that newspaper though. And it's not as if I know ~Swedish~ anyway...

Looks like the Expressen story refers to the story in Bravo...

#773 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:27

Bravo....that's a new low.

Nobody in Germany is even reporting on that Bravo story. At least I didnt saw anything yet :lol:

Edited by Marklar, 22 September 2017 - 12:27.

#774 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,173 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:37

Swedish is my native language. The article says exactly the same stuff as the other one linked to here. I can't imagine "Expressen" being the first hand source for Schumi info, no way.

That is highly unlikely. Their interest in motor sport is only visible when there are a sensational story involving Schumacher.

The usual Swede don't know of any other F1-stars. Maybe Fangio. And Peterson. 

#775 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,429 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:39

The Mail say it's not true, without quoting any source. Which isn't worth a lot, but then I'm not sure the original story was either.

#776 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,133 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 18:58

A journalist in my country, who has connections here and there, bluntly said that from what he knows, Michael does know who his close ones are and recognizes them, even communicates with them via eye movement, but is far from recovery. I trust the guy. 
Apart from that, I am really sad that this happened to an incredible person like Michael. He is truly a great driver and did not deserve such cruel fate. Keep fighting, Michael, we love you!  :up:

#777 Calorus

Calorus

• 4,062 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 19:40

Michael Schumacher was a great driver, but how much of his self/dignity/identity is left is anyone's guess. 

I hope he finds comfort in one way or another, and I hope his family can too.

In this case I fear his wealth could be a curse rather than a blessing, and I hope that when he's ready to move on to the next battle he has the means to do so.

I only hope he and his loved ones find peace.

#778 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,805 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 21:14

http://www.iflscienc...getative-state/

Never give up, Michael.

#779 RandomG

RandomG

• 509 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:13

Maybe if Michael can hang on for another 10 years or so we'll have mastered stem cell regeneration.

Advertisement

#780 lion55

lion55

• 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:59

Flavio Briatore gave recently a bit of insight. He said that, while he doesn't have direct contact with the family,  he's in touch with people who are close to MSC. He says that he is very worried and very sad.

Quite telling I think, that the only comments by someone who knows more or less his situation, are those.

Edited by lion55, 01 November 2017 - 11:01.

#781 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 957 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:01

Flavio Briatore gave recently a bit of insight. He said that, while he doens't have direct contact with the family,  he's in touch with people who are close to MSC. He says that he is very worried and very sad.

Quite telling I think, that the only comments by someone who knows more or less his situation, are those.

I've not seen any recent comments, do you have a link?

#782 lion55

lion55

• 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:05

It was a facebook Q&A. I don"t know if there are ennglish articles, I try to find.

edit: I found only this. http://nextgen-auto....cap,121851.html

Edited by lion55, 01 November 2017 - 11:07.

#783 Galoredk

Galoredk

• 323 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 16:32

I hate to put it this way, but it is very likely that he is brain damaged to a point where he is not the same person anymore, can't talk, walk, eat or anything else. My GF work with people who suffered traumatic head injury as an occupational therapist the last 12 years, and if you are not significantly recovering from the brain damage within the first 6 months, beginning to improve base functionality, you are extremely unlike to ever recover. At all. Not walk, eat yourself, talk, etc.

I have no clue as to what his current state is, but no news for so many years does not mean he is up and around.

His brain damage is more than likely irreversible and he will be a vegetable for the rest of his life.

#784 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 1,120 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 22:46

I hate to put it this way, but it is very likely that he is brain damaged to a point where he is not the same person anymore, can't talk, walk, eat or anything else. My GF work with people who suffered traumatic head injury as an occupational therapist the last 12 years, and if you are not significantly recovering from the brain damage within the first 6 months, beginning to improve base functionality, you are extremely unlike to ever recover. At all. Not walk, eat yourself, talk, etc.

I have no clue as to what his current state is, but no news for so many years does not mean he is up and around.

His brain damage is more than likely irreversible and he will be a vegetable for the rest of his life.

And you assume that his brain is badly damaged...

How can you know that?

Please stop speculating.

We know nothing about his status. 

Keep fighting MS!!  :up:

#785 Exumer

Exumer

• 388 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 22:49

Maybe if Michael can hang on for another 10 years or so we'll have mastered stem cell regeneration.

https://www.youtube....h?v=TxFuiwSO9A8

Very interesting video, thanks.

Obviously we know nothing about current Michael’s condition but if it isn’t good and not getting any better, why not to try this method?

#786 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,920 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 23:07

How can you know that?

Please stop speculating.

He's just saying out loud what we all think. And about the brain damage, it was established in the first press conference "doctors said [the helmet] was not enough to prevent a serious brain injury".

#787 lion55

lion55

• 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:11

How can you know that?

Please stop speculating.

Keep fighting MS!!  :up:

To know that his brain is (very) badly damaged is not a speculation, it's a well-known reality  :rolleyes:

#788 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,679 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:27

This thread really is going round in circles now - agree with past poster that it should be closed and only re-opened if there is genuine news/update.

Thoughts?

Nodoby is forced to read his thread.

#789 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,679 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:28

There was a proper Michael Schumacher thread, but that was closed bythe staff. I don't know why...

#790 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:04

How can you know that?

He hit his head against a solid rock. He was unconscious. He recovered briefly and then reportedly got worse. Bleeding and swelling in the skull is extremely dangerous, and often fatal. He was operated on and kept in a coma for months. He hasn't been seen since. Even his life-long manager is kept in the dark about his condition. The miniscule number of people who has knowledge of the situation are silent or express concern. There's no point in speculating how bad Schumacher is doing, but it's hardly controversial to suggest that it's bad. Likely very bad.

#791 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,133 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 20:36

It likely very bad, but vegetable, you can't know that. There can be a limited awareness, responses with eye movement, etc. The family decided to be private about these things, but there is no need to speculate only for the worst IMO. Chances are that he'll never be the same guy, but who knows?

#792 lion55

lion55

• 51 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 20:59

there is no need to speculate only for the worst IMO. Chances are that he'll never be the same guy, but who knows?

The main part of the recovery after a brain injury happens during the first year. If there has been no or very little recovery during this period, it's unlikely there will be much after. It has been 4 years. 4 years with ZERO information, even about  the smallest improvement

A miracle recovery can't happen after so many years, it's simply impossible (or maybe happens for 1 on several million cases). 

#793 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,827 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:16

It likely very bad, but vegetable, you can't know that. There can be a limited awareness, responses with eye movement, etc. The family decided to be private about these things, but there is no need to speculate only for the worst IMO. Chances are that he'll never be the same guy, but who knows?

Sadly, the fact that some in F1 refer to him in the past tense kind of indicates he is not aware.

For example, during Spa whilst talking to Schumacher’s son, Pat said something along the lines of “your father would have been proud of you”. Mick didn’t correct him and never even flinched. It’s not the first time Micheal has been mentioned in the same way they speak of Senna... someone who is no longer with us.

#794 RandomG

RandomG

• 509 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:38

The only positive news we have is that he has shown "moments of consciousness and awakening". Consciousness is usually a state of awareness of one's surroundings. Surely this could mean he is not completely brain dead. Although it may only mean something like he has control over his eye movements and nothing else. 

#795 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:58

https://www.motorspo...no-todt-986063/

Sabine talking about Michael in the past tense...

#796 messy

messy

• 7,497 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:52

She's not really though, is she? I don't see that. Actually I think it's a fairly positive article. 

#797 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:57

No, she's not, only the past tense of his career. Otherwise, she's just saying it's sad he cannot be here.

Kehm, who accepted Schumacher's induction to the Hall of Fame, said: "I'm just a poor replacement this evening. We all know Michael should be here. I'm sure he would love to be here.

"He always had the highest respect for everyone in this room. He would feel honoured. I also know how big a friend Michael is of Jean. I'm sure he would be proud of him for making this possible.

"I don't think it was only discipline that made him so special, I think what made him so successful was the love and compassion with everyone else in the room, the love and passion for this sport."

#798 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:00

Huh? I can see no quote by her at all (edit: oh, at the end. But no, she is talking in the past tense about his career). But Todt says, "He's there, still fighting" and "A fight is going on"

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 06 December 2017 - 08:02.

#799 messy

messy

• 7,497 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:04

I really hate this thread sometimes :(

Leave the press to make up their own slant on innocuous quotes, they get paid for it. 

Advertisement

#800 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:19

Key quote “I am sure he would love to be here.”

NOT “He would love to be here”.

Clearly he has no awareness of the event even taking place.

We have in any practical sense, as they say in America “lost” Michael Schumacher