- - - - -

New Chebby 4.6 bore spaced small-block

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:15

This article is rather interesting, plus this site has info on the mighty U.S. vee eights few others do.

http://www.enginelab...ll-block-chevy/

Edited by Bob Riebe, 13 March 2024 - 01:25.

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:32

That story points out all the freedoms given to 'new' manufacturers that ended up costing millions and make the engine totally unproduction.

The same as has happened here in V8 Stupid Cars with 'foreign' engines given freedoms to make the proverbial 4x3" bore engine. And even with their OHC heads and 4 valves per cylinder they are still behind for both power and economy against the FordRolets that were being used. The Ford is a canted valve engine inspired by the Boss 302. The Chev homolgated now is a canted valve Windsor deckheight abortion. Though still has Chevy oiling and 5 bolts per hole for the heads. 

The pretenders are all using special blocks, heads, etc etc to make the [I believe] mandated 4x4" bore and stroke. All of the engines originally use smaller bores and longer stroke except for the Ovlov which started out about 4 litres. The Nissan is based on the V8 Patrol engine [has that actually hit the Nissan dealers yet?] and the Benz is a bigger bore and shorter stroke version of their I believe 6 litre engine in full size cars.

As for the rest really is bigger bore spacing really required? Drag Racing notwithstanding most racing has 5 or 6 litre limits and always has. I feel GM made a screw up with the current engine that is about 6020 cc. Either rule makers allow it or everyone has to use a slightly shorter stroke crank. Good engine but slightly too big. Ford and Mopar have forced aspiration engines that while may be good road engines are useless for motorsport.

410 Sprintcars may like the bigger bore spacing though I doubt they will allow existing engines too be out of date.

And they are a minority anyway, WoO and many Aussie and NZ Sprinters but the true international engine is 360ci and Chev based anyway.

#3 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:44

I did some checking into WoO engines and from the articles I could find, they use production based engine, at least Ford and Chevy do, but as to which engine is used seems to depend on who is paying the bills.

Some big names successfully used Ford and Dodge but when sponsors changed so did the engines.

One would have to go to the rules book page to see what can and cannot be used but I believe  some are running the Toyota NASCAR engine at least one sanction.

Can you give more info on the engines you are speaking of, push-rod, OHC, etcl?

Chevy did/does offer a canted-valve engine for the Mouse engine.

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 22:06

I did some checking into WoO engines and from the articles I could find, they use production based engine, at least Ford and Chevy do, but as to which engine is used seems to depend on who is paying the bills.

Some big names successfully used Ford and Dodge but when sponsors changed so did the engines.

One would have to go to the rules book page to see what can and cannot be used but I believe  some are running the Toyota NASCAR engine at least one sanction.

Can you give more info on the engines you are speaking of, push-rod, OHC, etcl?

Chevy did/does offer a canted-valve engine for the Mouse engine.

WoO engines are these days so far removed from Productiopn engines. Alloy blocks, alloy everything. Though as far as I know std Chev bore spacing. 

Other engines have been around. Mopar had some good engines a decade or so ago, and a couple of people have run Clevelands! Both here and the US. From recollection Gaerte makes an alloy block. I feel there is still a Mopar or two in use here in Oz but not up to date equipment.

The canted valve SBC head was a Nascar head. Look a lot like an Improved Clevo head in chamber and runners. Never a production head. A couple of versions, small chamber and runners  suit eg 5 litre and then the Nascar or Sprinter versions. I cannot keep up these days with what is being used. IF I went to the races and talk tp people I may be more current though I dont think many are using them now.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 23 July 2015 - 22:11.

#5 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:50

WoO engines are these days so far removed from Productiopn engines. Alloy blocks, alloy everything. Though as far as I know std Chev bore spacing. 

Other engines have been around. Mopar had some good engines a decade or so ago, and a couple of people have run Clevelands! Both here and the US. From recollection Gaerte makes an alloy block. I feel there is still a Mopar or two in use here in Oz but not up to date equipment.

The canted valve SBC head was a Nascar head. Look a lot like an Improved Clevo head in chamber and runners. Never a production head. A couple of versions, small chamber and runners  suit eg 5 litre and then the Nascar or Sprinter versions. I cannot keep up these days with what is being used. IF I went to the races and talk tp people I may be more current though I dont think many are using them now.

The rule book says the 410 must be alloy but having seen the Chevys they are running, most if not all parts, will interchange between them and prod. Mouse engines.

The current 2015 parts book number for the splayed valve Mouse heads is 12480146