Photo
- - - - -

How great would a Ferrari win be in Hungary after the Bianchi news?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Vettelari

Vettelari

• 1,564 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:07

I know that the chances are EXTREMELY low, but I cannot even imagine how emotional of a victory it would be.

Heck, how about a Ferrari win and Manor scores some points too! Even better! Ha ha!

I know come conspiracy theorists might chime in here, but I remember Dale Jr. winning the summer Daytona race held after his dad had passed away in the Daytona 500. It was if it was just meant to be. Almost in a karmic kind of way.

Against all odds, I will be cheering for the prancing horse to pull off one of the bigger upsets of all time and dedicate the win to #17, Jules Bianchi.

I believe 100% that we would be talking about how excited we are to see him take over for Kimi in 2016 had it not been for his accident. I think he'd be driving for Sauber this year (He was rumored to have signed a contract. Along with 5 other drivers, however...), beating Nasr, and fighting with Kyvat, Hulk, and Grosjean for 8th in the WDC standings right now. That is just my completely unfounded personal speculation, though. He was one hell of a talent!

I do not think we will see it happen, but how great of a sight would it be?

Advertisement

#2 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:08

Well if the race is very hot or wet then Ferrari has a realistic chance.

#3 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:12

Think it would be better for a Manor victory.... Fat chance of that happening though. And im sure whoever wins (Mercedes) will dedicate the win to Bianchi

#4 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 1,207 posts

Well if the race is very hot or wet then Ferrari has a realistic chance.

I thought the Ferrari hot weather performance thing was a myth?

#5 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

A manor in the points would be much better than the team he never raced for in F1 winning.

#6 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:15

I thought the Ferrari hot weather performance thing was a myth?

Wasn't that the armchair strategist explanation on here for Malaysia? :lol:

#7 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:16

Manor getting more points. Doubt it would happen here, they were really close at Silverstone.

#8 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:20

Ferrari getting a win? Meh. There would just be a fight over whether it was the 'right' driver.

Manor getting a win? Now you're talking.

Whoever wins will most likely dedicate it to Bianchi anyway.

#9 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:46

Not great at all. He might have had ties with them, but not enough for it to mean anything significant besides the win itself.

Great would be Williams winning. Or anyth other thing who is long overdue.

#10 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:51

A Ferrari win is always great! But I'm not really the sentimental type. Jules Bianchi isn't affected either way by the result of the race. Whoever wins it won't bring him back.

#11 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:54

Well remember Ferrari got a 1-2 in 1988 against all odds the week after Enzo died... the gods sometimes work in mysterious ways. 

#12 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:54

Hamilton will win and will dedicate the victory to Jules the way Senna was going to dedicate the San Marino victory to Roland Ratzenberger (I think he even carried an Austrian flag with him in the car that day).

#13 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:56

Manor getting more points. Doubt it would happen here, they were really close at Silverstone.

Force India - not starting due to suspension problems.

McLaren- the usual weekend (1 crash and the other car retires on lap 9)

Maldonado- doing the Maldonado

At least two of the RB or Torro Rosso's retiring in the heat.

Raikönen changing to heavy wets for the last 5 laps

another DNF due to the heat.

-> points for Marussia

#14 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 15:05

Can some explain the significance of a Ferrari win and Jules? Manor point I understand.

Sorry if being dumb.

#15 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 15:06

Hamilton will win and will dedicate the victory to Jules the way Senna was going to dedicate the San Marino victory to Roland Ratzenberger (I think he even carried an Austrian flag with him in the car that day).

Woah. That's not a comparison I want to hear.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 15:08

I hope all future WC's are dedicated to Bianchi, and what would have been.

#17 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,073 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 15:15

I hope all future WC's are dedicated to Bianchi, and what would have been.

and fastest laps in every race

#18 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 15:27

Can some explain the significance of a Ferrari win and Jules? Manor point I understand.

Sorry if being dumb.

He'd been a Ferrari junior driver for a few years, obviously never drove for them in F1 but was still aligned with them, that was probably what played a part in them getting Ferrari engines also (only a part - they used Cosworths in '13 and are still with Ferrari this year). He'd also tested for Ferrari just a few months prior to Suzuka when he set the quickest time, and had been linked with maybe replacing Kimi in the near future (whether that actually would have happened we'll never know of course).

In fact in qualifying for this very race last year, Bianchi made the Q2 cut at the expense of Raikkonen, I'm sure I remember the commentators saying something about "Ferrari driver bumped by potential future Ferrari driver" or something along those lines.

I agree that a Manor point would trump a Ferrari win in the sentimentality stakes though.

Edited by FerrariV12, 24 July 2015 - 15:28.

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 15:29

and fastest laps in every race

No those still belong to Kubica.

Advertisement

#20 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 16:01

A manor in the points would be much better than the team he never raced for in F1 winning.

also a manor point scoring finish would not clash with TDGOATest of all time winning the race. :smoking:

#21 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,792 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 16:02

A Ferrari win would be so irrelevant in this context. 

Manor getting even 10th will be a million times greater. 

#22 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 16:10

Manor.

#23 Vettelari

Vettelari

• 1,564 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 16:16

Ha ha!

A manor win would certainly be the most incredible thing of all time, but I am trying to be halfway realistic.

There are a ton of "coincidences" involving a victory following a tragedy in sports.

A few I can think of...

The New York Giants winning the Super Bowl in the year following 9/11

The New Orleans Saints winning the Super Bowl in the year following Hurricane Katrina

My aforementioned victory by Dale Jr. In Daytona following his father's passing in the Daytona 500 in the same year

Dale Jr. winning the Nationwide Series race in Daytona 2010 in his first and only (?) time ever driving the #3 car

I am sure there are quite a few more. Admittedly, my sporting history has a big American "slant".

Can anybody else think of any other such "coincidences" in sports history?

#24 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,169 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 16:20

Ill take Manor points over a Ferrari win.

#25 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 934 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 16:59

Ha ha!

A manor win would certainly be the most incredible thing of all time, but I am trying to be halfway realistic.

There are a ton of "coincidences" involving a victory following a tragedy in sports.

A few I can think of...

The New Orleans Saints winning the Super Bowl in the year following Hurricane Katrina

My aforementioned victory by Dale Jr. In Daytona following his father's passing in the Daytona 500 in the same year

Dale Jr. winning the Nationwide Series race in Daytona 2010 in his first and only (?) time ever driving the #3 car

I am sure there are quite a few more. Admittedly, my sporting history has a big American "slant".

The Schlesser-assisted Ferrari 1-2 at Monza '88 just after the death of Enzo has been mentioned, there was also John Watson scoring Penske's first (and only) F1 win at Austria in '76 a year to the race after Donohue's accident.

My knowledge outside of motor racing is a bit limited unfortunately :)

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,555 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 17:07

Well remember Ferrari got a 1-2 in 1988 against all odds the week after Enzo died... the gods sometimes work in mysterious ways. 

What's Jean-Louis Schlesser up to right now?

#27 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 17:10

I would think manor in the points would be more appropriate.

#28 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 17:23

A good outing for the Manussia Team, with points for the drivers if at all possible.

#29 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,908 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 17:33

Ha ha!

A few I can think of...

Castroneves winning the Indy 500 in 2009 after his problems with a lawsuit that cost him the first race of the season.

Birthday Boy Jean Alesi winning his one and only Grand Prix in 1995 at the `Circuit Gilles Villeneuve`, drivng the Ferrari numbered #27....

Was it last year at Le Mans? Fisichella and his teammates ruining a 458Italia in practice and qualifying, a new car being built up that has little to no running time until the warm-up before the race and then win the class.

Henri

#30 OO7

OO7

• 23,408 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 17:36

I don't know, but if it involves a Sauber Mercedes C11 then I wholeheartedly approve.

#31 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 18:52

A Ferrari win would be so irrelevant in this context. 

Manor getting even 10th will be a million times greater. 

A Ferrari win is always relevant in every context.

Edited by redreni, 24 July 2015 - 18:53.

#32 TurnOffTheLights

TurnOffTheLights

• 755 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 19:25

Gerhard Berger winning against all odds 1997 in a Benetton at Hockenheim 2 weeks after his father died. Berger hadn't won a single race for 3 years and it was also his last ever victory.

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,555 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 19:33

Gerhard Berger winning against all odds 1997 in a Benetton at Hockenheim 2 weeks after his father died. Berger hadn't won a single race for 3 years and it was also his last ever victory.

A bit of an exaggeration. The Benettons with their Renault engines did well at the fast circuits in 96/97 and Gerhard nearly won it the previous year. The most impressive thing about it though was that he was just coming back from illness.

#34 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,908 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 19:40

A Ferrari win is always relevant in every context.

To me a Manor in the points, preferrably ahead of the McLarens (  :rotfl:   ) would be the better `tribute` to Jules.

Though I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a Ferrari win the race if it is only for the fact that it means that Mercedes lost a race at last.

But both are too much to ask for as things are right now so I won't do such....

Henri

#35 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 20:44

Ignoring the fact that Bianchi was a member of the FDA, and had been testing for Ferrari for numerous years before he ever was a Marussia driver, of course...

It would be nice to see a Ferrari win AND Manor score points, but both look pretty unlikely. Not much more other than that to say about this.

#36 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 21:33

Ignoring the fact that Bianchi was a member of the FDA, and had been testing for Ferrari for numerous years before he ever was a Marussia driver, of course...

It would be nice to see a Ferrari win AND Manor score points, but both look pretty unlikely. Not much more other than that to say about this.

When did he race for Ferrari in F1? Please show me which Grand Prix he drove for them.

#37 Acathla

Acathla

• 614 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 22:01

If Fernando would be a Ferrari driver I'd say yes, but now just .... eh .... no

#38 Celloman

Celloman

• 1,604 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 22:06

Bianchi is nothing more related to Ferrari than Perez for instance, it's silly to draw such conclusions based on "what could have been" in 2016.

#39 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,561 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 22:08

The #7 Ferrari Finishes 1st. What a story that would make.  ;)

Advertisement

#40 Vettelari

Vettelari

• 1,564 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:38

Celloman, your comment comparing Bianchi to Perez are confusing. Surely you are aware that Jules was a developmental driver for Ferrari, right? Recent articles have even gone as far to say that the entire "Ferrari Academy" for young talent was created specifically as a means to support and develop Bianchi alone. He had a stronger link to Ferrari than even a driver like Vandoorne currently has with McLaren. I just watched the recent Indy Lights Race from Iowa. It is another one of these "coincidences" born out of tragedy. Bianchi's teammate from Marussia, Max Chilton, won the race soon after hearing about the tragedy. His first win in the Lights Series. Chilton has not performed well in that series this season, IMO. His highest previous finish was 3rd & he struggled to finish in the top 5 in most races while racing in a field of 12 cars or less. Plus, it was at an oval track. His team, Carlin, is new to the Indy Series & doesn't have any experience racing on ovals before this season. Max Chilton winning the race was a very welcome surprise & watching how emotional he was afterwards was a sight to behold.

#41 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:21

Yeah if Raikkonen is the winner ;-)

But seriously Manor scoring a point and or making it out if Q1 would be great think everyone needs a feel good story right now

A Ferrari win isn't one

#42 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:10

No idea. But we have Pastor Maldonado. 

#43 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:21

Ha ha!

A few I can think of...

Schumacher won the 2003 San Marino GP hours after his mother died. Sadly, Ralf just missed out on a podium.

#44 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:26

It's hot in Hungary so that might fit Ferrari, but victory contenders? Not a chance, unless both Mercedes cars are taken out. As the season goes by, it becomes more and more clear that Malaysia was a one of. These Mercedes cars are so reliable this year that it's very hard to imagine anyone else winning the remaining races unless we're getting a very wet and/or chaotic race, then maybe, but even so, I reckon one of them will be there to take P1!
 That being said, I would absolutely go crazy and joyful if somehow Ferrari wins this one AND WITH KIMI!!! Because he really needs a miracle now, more than ever to stay at Ferrari next year! But it's only a dream... even with P3 I would be pleased.

#45 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:30

It's hot in Hungary so that might fit Ferrari, but victory contenders? Not a chance, unless both Mercedes cars are taken out. As the season goes by, it becomes more and more clear that Malaysia was a one of. These Mercedes cars are so reliable this year that it's very hard to imagine anyone else winning the remaining races unless we're getting a very wet and/or chaotic race, then maybe, but even so, I reckon one of them will be there to take P1!
 That being said, I would absolutely go crazy and joyful if somehow Ferrari wins this one AND WITH KIMI!!! Because he really needs a miracle now, more than ever to stay at Ferrari next year! But it's only a dream... even with P3 I would be pleased.

He goes well here, and its his 'home' race in terms of fans, so you never know... 

#46 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:05

Marussia/Manor have done nothing to make me love them and I wouldn't really find anything special and symbolic about them scoring points this weekend. Just don't connect them with Bianchi either, he was there because he couldn't be at a better team at the time and somehow scored a fantastic result in Monaco by his own talent.

#47 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,543 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:40

You must be a very happy person to be around Briz.

#48 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:56

When did he race for Ferrari in F1? Please show me which Grand Prix he drove for them.

Irrelevant, really. He was a member of the Ferrari driver academy since 2009, I believe.

He had a longer relationship with Ferrari than Marussia. If you really want to split hairs, Bianchi wasn't even supposed to drive for Marussia in 2013. It was only because of Razia's contract issues that he did.

But, you know, it's a pointless having this argument seeing as neither Ferrari or Manor look like being on for a good result. :stoned:

#49 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:14

While we are already pondering about this, I guess in terms of probability Ferrari's victory is more possible than Manor's point, even if both are somewhat outsiders for the achievement and need the race to go "their way".

However, if for whatever reason Hungary is an attrition race, or even more so a wet race, many things can happen. :p

#50 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:54

for the moment it's looking good.. for the moment only