Photo
- - - - -

Halftime in F1 - your opinion?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
162 replies to this topic

Poll: F1 Halftime (257 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the best driver so far?

1. Hamilton (106 votes [41.25%])

Percentage of vote: 41.25%

2. Rosberg (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Vettel (119 votes [46.30%])

Percentage of vote: 46.30%

4. Bottas (1 votes [0.39%])

Percentage of vote: 0.39%

5. Räikkönen (2 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

6. Massa (2 votes [0.78%])

7. Ricciardo (3 votes [1.17%])

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

8. Kvyat (1 votes [0.39%])

9. Hülkenberg (3 votes [1.17%])

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

10. Grosjean (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Verstappen (13 votes [5.06%])

Percentage of vote: 5.06%

12. Nasr (1 votes [0.39%])

13. Perez (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Maldonado (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Alonso (4 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

16. Sainz (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Button (0 votes [0.00%])

18. Ericsson (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Merhi (0 votes [0.00%])

20. Stevens (2 votes [0.78%])

What was the best race of the season so far?

1. Australia (2 votes [0.78%])

2. Malaysia (11 votes [4.28%])

Percentage of vote: 4.28%

3. China (2 votes [0.78%])

4. Bahrain (2 votes [0.78%])

5. Spain (1 votes [0.39%])

6. Monaco (1 votes [0.39%])

7. Canada (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Austria (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Great Britain (37 votes [14.40%])

Percentage of vote: 14.40%

10. Hungary (201 votes [78.21%])

Percentage of vote: 78.21%

Vote

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 15:44

Now we have the summer break and the mid season. What is your opinion about the current season so far?

Best driver:
Worst driver:
Best race:
Worst race:
Biggest surprise:
Biggest disappointment:
Satisfaction with the season so far:
Expectations for the rest of the season:

Edited by Marklar, 27 July 2015 - 22:47.

Advertisement

#2 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 15:52

Best driver: In the front arguably Vettel is edging Hamilton for me. Both had great races, both bad races (Vet - BHR, Lewis - Hungary), both are owning their teammates, but Vettel has been a bit more impressive to me. In the midfield Alonso has been faultless this season, always maximized his position. Verstappen a honourable mention for the best surprise.

Worst driver: Maldonado

Best race: Hungary

Worst race: Austria

Biggest surprise: Hungary as a whole

Biggest dissapointment: McLaren-Honda

Satisfaction with the season so far: It ended the half-time on a high note. Looking forward to some other great tracks (Monza, Suzuka, Spa, Singapore).

Expectations for the rest of the season: I expect good races with Mercedes constantly messing up their starts.

#3 DinosaursRoarForHugs

DinosaursRoarForHugs

• 153 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 15:56

Best driver: Hamilton/Vettel

Worst driver: Maldonado (today was the icing and the cherry and several layers of cake)

Best race: Hungary (actually exciting. A good race)

Worst race: Spain and Austria were both quite bad if I recall correctly

Biggest surprise: Carlos Sainz and McLaren's actual terribleness 

Biggest dissapointment: The fightback from Ferrari that seemed eminently possible after Malaysia and until today had evaporated

Satisfaction with the season so far: A clandestine handy-j in the back seat of your car from a semi-hot Tinder hookup. 5/10

Expectations for the rest of the season: Hamilton to romp home. Slightly boring races at Spa and Monza

Edited by DinosaursRoarForHugs, 26 July 2015 - 15:57.

#4 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,326 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 15:59

Best driver: Lewis Hamilton, bar today, he's been faultless so far. Vettel is a close second.

Worst driver: Pastor Maldonado. He seemed to improve after Canada and Austria, but after today, my, my.

Best race: Hungary, it had everything, though Silverstone and Bahrain were good as well.

Worst race: Surpisingly I chose Melbourne. Very disappointing season opener with all those cars not starting or retiring early on and we only had like 10 cars still going.

Biggest surprise: Ferrari, after winter testing their pace was good, but I wasn't expecting such a revival after last year.

Biggest dissapointment: McLaren Honda. Though we couldn't have expected race wins, where they are now, halfway, still very disappointing. So far they've only overtaken Sauber really,

Satisfaction with the season so far: Okayish so far. A fair share of boring races, but some good ones as well.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Mercedes will continue their dominance, and how charming it is to see Vettel in the Ricciardo role from last year, I really doubt he can challenge the Merc's for the remainder of the season.

#5 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 10,709 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:00

Best driver: Close call between Hamilton and Vettel, I'll say Hamilton after his stunning Monaco performance.

Worst driver: Maldonado, today says it all. 

Best race: Hungary, plenty of action and unpredictability. 

Worst race: Spain

Biggest surprise: Sainz being able to beat little Senna, Kyvat's recent performances

Biggest dissapointment: Williams's performance in Silverstone, McLaren Honda.

Satisfaction with the season so far: Favourite team, and driver currently lead the way, but we've had some great races and surprise results. 7/10 so far.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Complete craziness because of the changes to the starts and Merc conceding a few more wins, but Hamilton emerging champion at the end of it and Merc securing the constructors again.

Edited by J0rd4n, 26 July 2015 - 16:01.

#6 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:02

Satisfaction with the season so far: A clandestine handy-j in the back seat of your car from a semi-hot Tinder hookup. 5/10

I lol'd.  :clap:

#7 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,042 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:06

Best driver: Hamilton
Worst race: Spain
Biggest surprise: Danil Kvyat performance against Ricciardo
Biggest dissapointment: Mclaren Honda
Satisfaction with the season so far: Hamilton leading the championship and Vettel redeeming himself
Expectations for the rest of the season: Hamilton to become a triple world champion

#8 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,200 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:07

I think it was a bad idea to start this so soon after the race we just had, lol. We're going to get some skewed poll results. :lol:

#9 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:11

I thought this was going to be about introducing a mid-race break. lol

#10 kvyatfan

kvyatfan

• 513 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:11

Vettel and Hungary.

#11 kvyatfan

kvyatfan

• 513 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:12

I thought this was going to be about introducing a mid-race break. lol

Yeah, with Alonso pushing his car through the pits and handing out popcorn.

#12 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:16

Best driver: Hamilton/Vettel

Worst driver: Maldonado (today was the icing and the cherry and several layers of cake)

Best race: Hungary (actually exciting. A good race)

Worst race: Spain and Austria were both quite bad if I recall correctly

Biggest surprise: Carlos Sainz and McLaren's actual terribleness 

Biggest dissapointment: The fightback from Ferrari that seemed eminently possible after Malaysia and until today had evaporated

Expectations for the rest of the season: Hamilton to romp home. Slightly boring races at Spa and Monza

Arnt you a girl?

#13 F1Racing90

F1Racing90

• 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:17

Vettel is easily the best driver up to now. 7 podiums and 2 wins out of the first 10 races. Joined a brand new team, had to get used to a new car and how team operates and has deliver some outstanding performances, considering the Ferrari is no match for Mercedes and in recent races even struggled matching the Williams. Not to mention that he has destroyed Kimi and is one of the largest differences between team mates on the grid.

42 points behind Hamilton and only 21 behind Rosberg, after 10 races and he even had more reliability problems than both Merc drivers. Super impressive. 

Edited by F1Racing90, 26 July 2015 - 16:18.

#14 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:18

Best driver: Vettel (I considered Hamilton too, but in Hungary he was simply terrible! Vettel's worst race was Bahrain, where he was mediocre, not terrible.).

Worst driver: Maldonado (can't remember anyone else with so many **** ups!

Best race: Hungarian GP

Worst race: Australian GP

Biggest surprise: Ferrari

Biggest dissapointment: McLaren-Honda. I have to mention Kimi too, he had everything: bad luck, car failures and even mistakes of his own. But McLaren-Honda was for sure, the biggest dissapointment!

Satisfaction with the season so far: that it still had some very exciting races such as the Brittish & Hungarian GPs!

Expectations for the rest of the season: Hopefully some excitement thanks to the starts, but other than that, Hamilton & Mercedes winning both championships. Boring.

Edited by Heisenberg, 26 July 2015 - 16:20.

#15 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:19

Best driver: hmmm, Vettel - just, slightly less mistakes than Hamilton after today? To be fair usually Lewis makes up for his (eg Silverstone) so maybe I'm being a tad harsh on him and before today would have given him the nod.
Worst driver: Maldonado, he can put in good performances but way to many mistakes that just cost the team much needed points.
Best race: Today was pretty good!
Worst race: Austria wasn't great.
Biggest surprise: Ferrari, no way did I think they would have 2 wins.
Biggest dissapointment: Renault. (I kind of expected a tough season for Honda and although its worse than I had hoped its not overly suprising)
Satisfaction with the season so far: 6/10
Expectations for the rest of the season: Merc (Hamilton) to win.

#16 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,622 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:19

Hamilton's been the best driver on the whole, his qualifying has been on another level. Vettel is going a great distance to redeeming himself for last year.

I really did enjoy Malaysia.

#17 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:22

Heh- this is going to be a 'vote for Hungary' sort of poll.

#18 DinosaursRoarForHugs

DinosaursRoarForHugs

• 153 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:28

Arnt you a girl?

Only in my music taste

#19 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:28

Best driver: Honestly, no driver has really stood out to me. The two drivers topping the poll are credible choices, but no one has really got my juices flowing. 

Worst driver: Pastor

Worst race: Austria 

Biggest dissapointment: McLaren Honda

Satisfaction with the season so far: Its had its ups and downs. I hope we have reshuffle in the next few years.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Manual starts are going to be a pain in the arse.

Advertisement

#20 F1Racing90

F1Racing90

• 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:29

Heh- this is going to be a 'vote for Hungary' sort of poll.

Not really. Any fan that is honest and unbiased would say Vettel has been the better driver. He has had a worse car and worse car reliability than Hamilton yet is only 42 points behind, a mere 4 points loss per race, which is nothing. Not to mention he is at a new team/car and he would have needed more time to settle.

For me Hamilton has been a disappointment. Sure he can get that flying lap in and take pole, but in the races he has been nowhere near as impressive. The amount of poles he has took, he should have delivered more wins. The good thing about the Merc drivers, when they do screw up, the raw pace of the car saves them 99% of the time. Vettel and other drivers don't have that luxury. Just have to look at Vettel in bahrain or Kimi in canada. When they had bad races, they never recovered because the car is simply not fast enough. 

Edited by F1Racing90, 26 July 2015 - 16:32.

#21 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:33

Vettel has been almost flawless this year. The same cannot be said about anyone else.

#22 krea

krea

• 2,166 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:35

It's a little unfair to compare drivers in different cars. But that Vettel is only 42 points away from Hamilton, while also dealing with more technical/out of his hands problems, is quite stunning.

#23 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:36

Not really. Any fan that is honest and unbiased would say Vettel has been the better driver. He has had a worse car and worse car reliability than Hamilton yet is only 42 points behind, a mere 4 points loss per race, which is nothing. Not to mention he is at a new team/car and he would have needed more time to settle.

For me Hamilton has been a disappointment. Sure he can get that flying lap in and take pole, but in the races he has been nowhere near as impressive. The amount of poles he has took, he should have delivered more wins. The good thing about the Merc drivers, when they do screw up, the raw pace of the car saves them 99% of the time. Vettel and other drivers don't have that luxury. Just have to look at Vettel in bahrain or Kimi in canada. When they had bad races, they never recovered because the car is simply not fast enough. 

I don't agree with this. Vettel had perfect reliability (apart from Canada Q1). Hamilton as well, but he has been having a nightmare with the clutch lately.

#24 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,200 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:37

For me Hamilton has been a disappointment. Sure he can get that flying lap in and take pole, but in the races he has been nowhere near as impressive. The amount of poles he has took, he should have delivered more wins.

I disagree. I'd run it on countback, honestly; while Hamilton and Vettel have had roughly equivalent highs, I feel Hamilton's lows have been a little lower. Until the most recent race I would've given Hamilton the edge, but I'm not counting the multitude of today's errors against him beyond one race, because when it rains, it pours--and in spite of all that he still beat Rosberg. :rotfl:

Hamilton and Vettel are the obvious choices and I suspect picking one over the other is going to come down to personal preference.

#25 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Best driver: Vettel, no contest. He's having the sort of season that Alonso would have at Ferrari. Able to get on the podium more often than not.

Worst driver: Maldonado. I didn't realise he has been outqualified 9-1. Pretty shocking.

Best race: Hungary followed by GB.

Worst race: Most have been processional but Australia was probably the most disappointing.

Biggest surprise: McLaren Honda being so awful

Biggest dissapointment: McLaren Honda not allowing two world champions to show what they can do.

Satisfaction with the season so far: Mediocre. 

Expectations for the rest of the season: Hamilton will walk the title. Ferrari will win one more race.

#26 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Best driver:Vettel. Or Hamilton. Vettel won two times in an inferior car. I would deeply respect Fernando Alonso for not pouring oil on the car and throwing a burning match onto it   on his way out to greener pastures and Le Mans, but I know he gets paid 30M to smile at Ron 3-4 times a month when he climbs out of that piece of dung.

Worst driver: I don't believe there is a worst driver.

Best race: Today was entertaining, that's all I can say about F1 atm. Otherwise as a sport, it is cheap, not in a the monetary sense.

Worst race: ATM I don't believe in worst races either, because of the above.

Biggest surprise: I don't get surprised anymore.

Biggest dissapointment: See the above.

Satisfaction with the season so far: None.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Same as above.

#27 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,064 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:41

Best driver: Hamilton, with the exception of today.

Worst race: The rest, barring Silverstone.

Biggest surprise: Ferrari performance.

Biggest dissapointment: Marklar's spelling of disappointment. ( :p ) that, or Canada. A race with so much potential that failed to deliver.

Satisfaction with the season so far: 4/10. A shocker, rescued somewhat by Silverstone and Hungary.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Hamilton to pull ahead of Rosberg, Mercedes to pull ahead of the field, McLaren to pull off of the track a lot and Maldonado to keep pulling the ladies, handsome devil that he is.

#28 JAW97

JAW97

• 219 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:41

Not sure if he's been the best; that would probably go to Vettel. But Verstappen has been by far the most impressive for me.

Maldonado was horrific today but he's not had a bad season as a whole imo.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, no-one has had a standout terrible season so far. Kimi has had plenty of bad luck which makes him look worse to Vettel than he actually is, but has he actually been the worst? So I suppose votes for Pastor are fair enough.

Edited by JAW97, 26 July 2015 - 16:47.

#29 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:43

Best driver: Hamilton, with the exception of today.

Worst race: The rest, barring Silverstone.

Biggest surprise: Ferrari performance.

Biggest dissapointment: Marklar's spelling of disappointment. ( :p ) that, or Canada. A race with so much potential that failed to deliver.

Satisfaction with the season so far: 4/10. A shocker, rescued somewhat by Silverstone and Hungary.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Hamilton to pull ahead of Rosberg, Mercedes to pull ahead of the field, McLaren to pull off of the track a lot and Maldonado to keep pulling the ladies, handsome devil that he is.

Have no idea what you mean  :p

#30 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:46

Vettel has been almost flawless this year. The same cannot be said about anyone else.

That's the point. Vettel had one mediocre race at best...Lewis had a complete stonker today and a lucky race in Silverstone (bad start, getting overtaken at the restart, pace deficit to Rosberg in the wet). Before Silverstone I would have said Lewis was the best driver after the last two races my opinion changed and he would be close second. 

Edited by 1Devil1, 26 July 2015 - 16:52.

#31 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,064 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:47

Have no idea what you mean :p

Spoilsport. We all know what the edit was for. :kiss:

#32 krea

krea

• 2,166 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:52

That's the point. Vettel had one mediocre race at best...Lewis had a complete stonker today and lucky race in Silverstone (bad start, getting overtaken at the restart, pace deficit to Rosberg in the wet). Before Silverstone I would have said Lewis was the best driver after the last two races my opinion changed and he would be close second. 

The problem with Hamilton is that today wasn't the first time that he lost the control about himself when things didn't go the way he wanted. Something that didn't happen that often this year, of course, because there were barely moments when he was pushed to the limits like today.

Vettel's in Rosberg's car would be quite the event.

Edited by krea, 26 July 2015 - 16:52.

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:52

I think its pretty clear that Seb and Lewis are by a margin the best drivers of the season so far, whoever is first. I'm struggeling more to think who is the 3rd best.....

#34 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:55

Have you guys been sleeping on Verstappen? :rotfl: Or are we talking about the top teams specifically?

#35 Laster

Laster

• 3,873 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:56

Best driver: Vettel is doing the best with the car he has at the moment imo.

Worst driver: Maldonado. He's not the slowest driver, in fact he can be pretty quick, but as I have maintained throughout his F1 career, he's the most stupid.

Best race: Hungary, never thought I'd be saying that.

Worst race: I don't know we've had a quite a few poor races this year.

Biggest surprise: Just how bad that Honda engine is.

Biggest disappointment: Just how bad that Honda engine is.

Satisfaction with the season so far: 5/10 It's not as bad as people seem to make out, but it's definitely no classic either.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Hamilton will win the championship, Rosberg looked much better last season. The times he has the outright pace on Hamilton are too few and far between. I also expect Mclaren to pick up the pace a little bit to take some lower end points and pick up a place or two in the constructors.

#36 F1Racing90

F1Racing90

• 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 16:59

I don't agree with this. Vettel had perfect reliability (apart from Canada Q1). Hamilton as well, but he has been having a nightmare with the clutch lately.

LOL is all I can say really. Must be really a nightmare driving one of the best cars ever made. 

#37 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:00

Best Driver: Hamilton and Vettel, pretty equal between these two.

Worst Driver: Merhi, sometimes he's just ahead of Stevens, the rest of the time he's miles behind.

Best Race: Hungary

Worst Race: Spain

Biggest Surprise: That Ferrari have actually reached their goal of two wins in only half a season

Biggest Disappointment: McLaren-Honda, thats much worse than I was expecting.

Satisfaction with season: Not much, even the midfield has been lacking in action at times

Expectations: More of the same, but hoping for more like Silverstone and Hungary

#38 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,482 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:03

Best driver: Would have easily voted Hamilton before today. Voted VET instead.

Worst driver: MAL, not just because of today's showing.

Best race: HUN, but I liked Malaysia a lot as well! 

Worst race: Both AUS and SPA were pretty disappointing.

Biggest surprise: VET returning to form, SAI almost as good as Verstappen.

Biggest disappointment: the (lack of) performance of the Renault PU and the fact it takes ages to do something about it.

Satisfaction with the season so far: rather meagre, though there are signs that  it's getting better. Nice midfield battles.

Expectations for the rest of the season: not very high, but I like to be surprised. Midfield battles will even be more fierce with McLaren joining in!

#39 Laster

Laster

• 3,873 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:07

Biggest Surprise: That Ferrari have actually reached their goal of two wins in only half a season

It's three. - https://www.formula1...-at-other-.html - 11th Question

Advertisement

#40 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,081 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:10

Best driver: Vettel. 1 mistake (Bahrain) in half a season. Always there when there's something big to catch. 

Worst driver: No one stands out. 

Best race: Hungary, by some huge margin. 

Worst race: we had a lot of mediocre ones. 

Biggest disappointment: McLaren Honda and its livrery

Satisfaction with the season so far: Medium. But Ferrari's Power Unit updates for Monza could lead to a spectacular end of the season. 

Expectations for the rest of the season: dunno

Edited by thegamer23, 26 July 2015 - 17:10.

#41 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:11

Hamilton and Vettel are the obvious choices and I suspect picking one over the other is going to come down to personal preference.

Yeah, I would say that is fair.

#42 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:44

Best driver: Vettel. I've named Hamilton and Vettel most in the race-specific threads, but I'll give the nod to the German because his 'worst' race was less of a mess than some of the things Hamilton did today.

Worst driver: Maldonado. He has been pretty decent in racing and a lot of his early-season DNFs weren't his fault, but his repeated failure to observe simple safety regulations is not acceptable. Worse, they're the same offences! He doesn't seem to be learning from his penalties.

Best race: Either Malaysia or Bahrain, both of which I rated a 7/10.

Worst race: Leaving Monaco aside, which is always rather dreadful, the races in Australia and Spain were disappointing. I rated both of them 4/10 at the time. Perhaps Australia was worse because it came after the winter break.

Biggest surprise: Ferrari's improvement. I was hopeful after the team quickly identified where they went wrong with the 2014 car, but I didn't expect them to - depending somewhat on the track - leap ahead of Williams and Red Bull.

Biggest disappointment: That the Mercedes car and engine are still so much better than the rest. Thankfully the rest of the team isn't equally superior to their competitors.

Satisfaction with the season so far: Pretty low.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Rosberg failed to make the most of Hamilton's problems today, and instead of the WDC being a virtual tie he goes into the summer break with almost a race win of points behind. It doesn't help Rosberg that we're heading to the tracks where Hamilton made quick work of him last season. Let's hope Red Bull-Renault can stay competitive with Ferrari - their drivers are more interesting to see battle it out than Williams' line-up; plus Red Bull can actually put together a half-decent strategy.

Edited by Nonesuch, 26 July 2015 - 17:47.

#43 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:51

Best driver: Vettel.

Worst driver: Controversial, but Rosberg just for under-delivering for most the season in a very strong car.

Best race: Hungary. Silverstone 2nd. The rest have been largely forgettable.

Worst race: Canada. A lot of expectation for a race at a track that usually delivers, but it was a dud.

Biggest surprise: Ferrari's resurgence.

Biggest disappointment: Ferrari aside, the lack of competition at the front. Also Rosberg's form.

Satisfaction with the season so far: The last two races bump it up to a 4/10. Not a classic at all, on par with 2002 and 2004 for predictable results/dull racing.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Not very high. Probably many more Mercedes wins, but I hope the changes to the regulations will create more excitement at the start, like we've had at the past two races.

#44 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 18:03

Worst driver: Controversial, but Rosberg just for under-delivering for most the season in a very strong car.

I'd say Kimi surpasses him for that. A car that is largely nailed on for 4th at worst. I don't think Rosberg has dropped the ball to anywhere near the same extent. Even then, neither are anywhere near as bad as Pastor has been. He's probably got more points on his licence than he has in the WDC standings!

#45 redraven9

redraven9

• 614 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 18:13

Kimi and Rosberg are on the same level I think. Like Vettel and Hamilton.

But Rosberg can get away with bad performances with a spaceship car.

#46 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 18:27

Best driver : Hamilton, Hungary wasn't his best race, but overall still a very high level most of the time

Worst driver : Maldonado...I think all GP visitors should be given a free, "I survived Pastor" T-shirt

Best race : Hungary, wheel banging is just fun

Worst race : Canada, way too much saving of everything was going on over there

Biggest surprise : Renault engines being so unreliable and poor on BHP

Biggest disappointment : Raikkonen, I now finally understand why he's called the Iceman, he thinks he's driving on it

Satisfaction with the season so far : With Rosberg not showing he wants to become WDC...just meh

Expectations for the rest of the season : ...Rain and Rosberg, two things I can't control

#47 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,509 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 18:35

Best driver: biased version: Hamilton; unbiased: today means Vettel's edged ahead in this one

Best race: biased version: GB, for being there; unbiased: Hungary

Worst race: Australia - not just a procession, but a sinking feeling (thankfully proved incorrect) of a rather predictable season ahead

Biggest surprise: Williams - I thought 2014 would be an outlier, good to see them build on it/consolidate

Biggest disappointment: Renault - how do you go backwards?  Less powerful, less reliable.  Phenomenal effort.

Satisfaction with the season so far: ok - been a couple of good races, but also a couple of poor ones.

Expectations for the rest of the season: Manual starts could be fun.  Looking forward to half 2.

#48 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 19:11

I'd say Kimi surpasses him for that. A car that is largely nailed on for 4th at worst. I don't think Rosberg has dropped the ball to anywhere near the same extent. Even then, neither are anywhere near as bad as Pastor has been. He's probably got more points on his licence than he has in the WDC standings!

To be fair, Rosberg has a car that is at worst 2nd by default. So any time he makes an error or is plain off the pace (like today), he will still be in podium contention. The Ferrari is the 2nd best car but Williams aren't terribly far off from them so any mistakes he or Seb make means that they will be mixing with the Williams.

Rosberg has been outqualified 9-1 which is extremely poor and has on a number of times been over 4 tenths slower than Hamilton, but that is still usually enough to start 2nd on the grid so there is not so much damage. It's difficult to build a huge points advantage when you can only finish one place higher than your teammate, even when far quicker.

#49 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 19:36

Arguably Raikkonen's had more bad luck, with car issues. He was on for a good result in Australia, and could have had a strong race at Malaysia (?) if not for a puncture on the first lap, and similar story today too. But yeah, I get your point.

For me, Rosberg's just been a bit underwhelming, as shown today. Never looked like he was capable of challenging for the win, before or after the safety car. Maybe I'm being unduly harsh and Hamilton has just been that much better than him, but it's disappointing not to have had closer battles between them. Only in Spain and Austria was Rosberg capable of beating Hamilton, which just isn't often enough.

Edited by JHSingo, 26 July 2015 - 19:44.

#50 MatthewA

MatthewA

• 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 21:32

Best driver: Vettel

Worst race: Spain. Can't even remember anything from that one!

Biggest (positive) surprise: How quick Ferrari's been.

Biggest disappointments: Lotus (can't keep up with any other Merc-engined team) and Renault (we all know about this one!), not to mention Rosberg being obliterated by Lewis this time around.

Satisfaction with the season so far: 5/10. A number of dreadfully dull races, but then GB was pretty good and Hungary was incredible!

Expectations for the rest of the season: I expect Hamilton/Merc to easily wrap up the titles, whilst McLaren continue to improve and Vettel to continue being Merc's biggest threat. Interested to see if new start rules will play into Merc's hands or not: if not, then there are going to be lots of Mercs stuck behind other cars and infinitely more interesting races. If Merc ace the starts, then we're in for a boring time.

Most pathetic driver in wheel-to-wheel action: Rosberg

Most daring drivers in wheel-to-wheel action (who can actually make a good pass stick): Ricciardo and Kimi

Worst luck on the grid: Kimi

I thought so, not sure that many others did: Honda having a poor start to the season and Marussia actually racing.

Time I ate my words: I never thought of Ericsson too highly last year, but he's shown better this time around.

Biggest f%$@-ups: Mercedes pitcrew in Monaco and Lewis/Pastor's races in Hungary.

Off-track moaner, on-track never-give-up-er*: Alonso

Best team radio: Vettel's message after winning in Hungary was heartwarming.

Driver making me laugh every other Sunday: Maldonado, for demonstrating the difference between a great driver and a driver at his level.

*Forgive me, for I'm struggling to think of a better word!

Edited by MatthewA, 26 July 2015 - 21:50.