Photo
- - - - -

Did the trubute to Jules affect the drivers?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:08

In particular HAM and MAS. I haven't seen Lewis drive that bad since he came into F1, Massa also seemed to have an odd race. There were others, too. I'm just wondering what affect the tribute had on them and should it maybe have been held after the race, or an hour before.

Advertisement

#2 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:11

Wouldn't be very professional of them if that was the case.

#3 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:13

I think emotion was high and most of the big guns over-drove. The tribute was fine and it wouldn't have lowered the emotion at all to shift it.

The race kind of reminded me of the Bathurst 1000 in 2006 after Brock died. People made silly errors all day.

Edited by Jimisgod, 27 July 2015 - 12:13.

#4 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:20

Mercedes also panicked in Malaysia when they weren't in control, and Lewis also made a silly error at the restart in Silverstone being way too hasty. The rest of the hectic was just cars falling apart so I don't think the thought of Jules affected the drivers.

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,389 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:22

No.

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:28

I have no doubt that the thoughts of their recently lost friend weighed heavily on their minds. They're only human after all.

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:28

Not the tribute per se. But in a sport where the main kind of preparation is mental, it's plausible that a few drivers were making decisions they wouldn't otherwise have made.

On the other hand, chaos breeds chaos.

#8 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:30

I would think that the drivers tried to keep their minds on the start procedure and the run down to turn 1. It's not a good idea to be distracted by emotions right before the start.

#9 Rhardrks

Rhardrks

• 538 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:32

Hamilton had a bit of pressure by not leading in to the first corner and made his customary mistakes. Using Jules as an excuse for that is pretty low.

#10 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:35

Hamilton got some more bad news which came on top of that, so with Hamilton I think it could have played a part in it.

Lewis Hamilton's mentor Aki Hintsa diagnosed with abdominal cancer as F1 champion faces new agony

http://www.irishmirr...-hintsa-6139344

#11 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:38

Races like this happen from time to time. I'd be reluctant to attribute any of it to what has happened over the past week.

#12 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:43

It didn't seem to affect Maldonado, normal race for him.

#13 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:46

Daniil Kvyat found it tough to deal with the emotion of pre-race Jules Bianchi tribute... #F1 bit.ly/1Ow8CG6

#14 ThisIsMischaW

ThisIsMischaW

• 174 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 13:04

Hamilton is a very emotional driver (and I don't mean that in a bad way, it's one of his strengths and one of the reasons why people like watching him) so I wouldn't be surprised if he and others were affected by everything that was going on.

#15 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 13:41

I was thinking this - its unusual to have so many basic errors and penalties in a race (the stewards earned their money!). A statistician would not conclude that it was due to the Jules effect at all, but I think maybe there was a bit of distraction at times. The fact that Vettel immediately talked about Bianchi on the radio when he won shows that it was on their minds.

#16 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 14:00

I believe Massa was too conservative considering that this was the very track where he almost lost his life from that suspension piece hitting his helmet.

For the rest, I don't see it that way, no excuse. For almost all professional racers, the instant they are in the cockpit and the visor comes down, they are in another world. Any errors were a result of competition and a race that did not go to plan for anyone.

It sure didn't affect the true professionals, Vettel, Alonso, Bottas, Raikkonen and others.

#17 TurnOffTheLights

TurnOffTheLights

• 755 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 14:09

The fact that Vettel immediately talked about Bianchi on the radio when he won shows that it was on their minds.

I think it only shows that probably all drivers and their teams agreed on mentioning Bianchi in the case of winning the race. Because it's good PR to do so and could become bad PR, if lacking.

#18 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,345 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 14:22

I think it only shows that probably all drivers and their teams agreed on mentioning Bianchi in the case of winning the race. Because it's good PR to do so and could become bad PR, if lacking.

I'm sure that all drivers were primed to mention Jules or dedicate their race to him if it went well. This is understandable. It would be terrible to have intended to pay a tribute and then forget, or get it wrong somehow. I don't think we can say it was just about PR, though. Not everything in life comes down to that. I'm sure it was genuinely meant in all cases. 

#19 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 14:23

I think its genuine to be honest.

Advertisement

#20 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 14:53

I would think people being emotional about a driver's tragic death in an accident, would lead to conservative driving, not to aggressive racing like we had yesterday. So, no. Although I can see why distraught drivers could make mistakes, but more of them seemed to come from aggressiveness than lack of concentration, in my oppinion.