Photo

Help sought in tracking down drivers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 18:03

Having exhausted all the sources and contacts that I have at my disposal, I would like to seek the help of TNFers in trying to track down some drivers. Can you help me to make contact with any of the following people? Even the most miniscule detail might help me, such as what part of the country/world they were from, companies/teams they might have worked for, etc.

Trevor Howard (was in Barnet area 1965, worked at The Chequered Flag in Edgware, club raced in early 60s, briefly owned a Lotus 23 in 1965, doesn't appear to have been UK-born as I have DoB and there is no record of a birth on or near the date)

Stuart Allen (all I know about him is that he was the co-driver entered with Howard for the 1966 Circuit of Mugello)

Joe Lanny (raced at Croft a lot in the 1970s, I have a postal address in Cleveland, looking for a telephone number/email address) FOUND!

Len Bridge (raced in historics mid-70s to mid-80s, I have an address from the Basingstoke area but it didn't yield a response) FOUND!

Keith Grant (possibly connected to a Lotus dealer called Hammond & Oakwood, either the company or Grant was based in Ravensbourne, SE London - more or less where the 02 Arena is now) FOUND!

Chris Appleby (raced a Mini in 1971, then a Chevron B8 and B21 in 1972 - quite a step up...) Now don't need to find him as he was a potential route to Keith Grant...

Tony Griffin (raced Elans in historics in the early-to-mid 1980s, then I think moved on to a Chevron sports car). I have an address, looking for telephone/email.

All contributions/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Michael

Edited by Michael Oliver, 11 August 2015 - 11:57.

Advertisement

#2 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 18:29

I knew Chris Appleby when I was Dubai based around 14 years ago. He had been living in the Gulf for some years and claimed to be involved in the sport & a BRDC member, but this is the first I've heard of him since those days. I will try to follow up and locate him.

#3 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 19:03

I knew Chris Appleby when I was Dubai based around 14 years ago. He had been living in the Gulf for some years and claimed to be involved in the sport & a BRDC member, but this is the first I've heard of him since those days. I will try to follow up and locate him.

Intersting, thanks Tony. He is not listed as a BRDC member at the moment. What sort of age would you guess he was 14 years ago?

#4 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 20:21

I would guess he was around 60 then. I recall he was a pal of Keith Jupp & Clive Santo, Michael.

#5 PZR

PZR

• 135 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 23:18

Keith Grant (possibly connected to a Lotus dealer called Hammond & Oakwood, either the company or Grant was based in Ravensbourne, SE London - more or less where the 02 Arena is now)

It might be wise to be careful about the 'Ravensbourne, S.E. London' bit, as you might be being led astray by the location of the (new) Ravensbourne College.

Ravensbourne College was originally near to Bromley Common, and then moved to near Chislehurst. It was only five or so years ago that it moved up to Greenwich Peninsula and near to the O2 Arena. Ravensbourne School is still in Hayes Lane, Bromley.

The river Ravensbourne itself tracks a couple of miles West of all that, rising in Keston and eventually flowing into the Thames via Deptford Creek. As far as I am aware, there's no actual area of south East London that is called 'Ravensbourne', and it could possibly refer to anywhere along the river. Most likely to be near to the original college location(s) or the school, in my opinion. Bromley, really.

Good luck with your search.    

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:52

I'm inclined to agree with PZR. Hammond & Oakwood were at 162/166 Croydon Rd, Beckenham (now occupied by Masons Motor Co) and Ravensbourne station is just a couple of miles away in the Ravensbourne valley, which is on the borders of Beckenham and Bromley.

However, there is a Ravensbourne Park in Catford, which today would fit better with 'Ravensbourne, SE', since it's SE6. Having said that, although the Croydon Rd address is in BR3, it's only a few hundred yards from the border with SE20: in pre-postcode days it might have been in an SE London postal area.

#7 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:36

Gents thanks, you are absolutely correct. It was a RAVensbourne telephone code, which I've just double-checked with a good 'Old London telephone codes' guide I've found in the past few days and that code was for Bromley. So the telephone number in the advert was probably that of Hammond & Oakwood. But at least it might help me find Keith Grant if I search in the Bromley/Beckenham area rather than near the 02 Arena!

#8 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:36

I would guess he was around 60 then. I recall he was a pal of Keith Jupp & Clive Santo, Michael.

Ah, now Keith Jupp is another person I'd like to know more about, if he's still alive and, if so, how I could contact him...

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:19

They may have dropped the S at some point, but phone books actually show them as Hammonds and Oakwood. They seem to have moved about a bit and sometimes had more than one site in operation. But the only Ravensbourne number I've found dates from 1954 - RAV 4533, with an address at 100 Beckenham Lane, Shortlands. Next directory seems to be 1957, by which time that address had apparently closed: it's now the Kent Fireplace Company, but the site still has an air of a typical 1950s car dealership.

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:31

Ah, now Keith Jupp is another person I'd like to know more about, if he's still alive and, if so, how I could contact him...

I have a feeling Keith passed away a few years back, Michael.

#11 PZR

PZR

• 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:12

But at least it might help me find Keith Grant if I search in the Bromley/Beckenham area rather than near the 02 Arena!

I might be putting two and two together and making 22, but I wonder if there's any connection with Robert (Rob) Grant? A brother?

A few years back I was trying to trace anybody who might have had something to do with an outfit called 'Bromley Performance' - based at one point in Lewisham, SE26 - and gentleman named Ronald (Ron?) Parkes. The period of interest to me was the early 1970s. There was a connection (albeit tenuous) with Rob Grant, and - possibly - 'Motor Racing Facilities Ltd.' which he was involved with. Rob Grant campaigned a Chevron B8 for a while too, so I'm wondering if there's any Chris Appleby link there...?

Apologies if I'm overthinking this...

#12 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 14:13

They may have dropped the S at some point, but phone books actually show them as Hammonds and Oakwood. They seem to have moved about a bit and sometimes had more than one site in operation. But the only Ravensbourne number I've found dates from 1954 - RAV 4533, with an address at 100 Beckenham Lane, Shortlands. Next directory seems to be 1957, by which time that address had apparently closed: it's now the Kent Fireplace Company, but the site still has an air of a typical 1950s car dealership.

Thanks for this, the company actually still exists and is based down near Chichester. I have got some contact details now for a Brian Hammond (born 1938) so perhaps he might be able to shed some light on my enquiry!

#13 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 14:38

I have a feeling Keith passed away a few years back, Michael.

Ah, that's a shame, Tony. Thanks anyway.

#14 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 14:40

I might be putting two and two together and making 22, but I wonder if there's any connection with Robert (Rob) Grant? A brother?

A few years back I was trying to trace anybody who might have had something to do with an outfit called 'Bromley Performance' - based at one point in Lewisham, SE26 - and gentleman named Ronald (Ron?) Parkes. The period of interest to me was the early 1970s. There was a connection (albeit tenuous) with Rob Grant, and - possibly - 'Motor Racing Facilities Ltd.' which he was involved with. Rob Grant campaigned a Chevron B8 for a while too, so I'm wondering if there's any Chris Appleby link there...?

Apologies if I'm overthinking this...

Quite possibly, I had contact details for Rob Grant but have just tried them and the person at the other end of the phone keeps cutting me off, so I'm a bit stuck on that one. There was also a big department store in Croydon called Grants and it did occur to me that Keith Grant could have been part of that family.

#15 PZR

PZR

• 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 15:24

Quite possibly, I had contact details for Rob Grant but have just tried them and the person at the other end of the phone keeps cutting me off, so I'm a bit stuck on that one.

Rob Grant lives in France now, I believe. Near Le Mans.

#16 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 21:07

Rob Grant lives in France now, I believe. Near Le Mans.

Good news, I have now made contact with Keith Grant. My instincts when it comes to research seem to be getting better, as I found a mention of someone running a jazz club in Farnborough, Kent and thought the proximity to Beckenham and also Brands Hatch plus the jazz connection with motor racing (think Chris Barber, Pete King/Ronnie Scotts etc) made it a good chance he was my man, and he was! Whether he will be able to help me with my query remains to be seen but at least I have made contact!

#17 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 21:17

Michael and PZR I would welcome any news of Rob Grant for my own project. I lost contact after he moved back to the UK from France a while back. Perhaps other TNFers might be able to help.
Roger Lund

#18 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:00

Michael and PZR I would welcome any news of Rob Grant for my own project. I lost contact after he moved back to the UK from France a while back. Perhaps other TNFers might be able to help.
Roger Lund

Hi Roger

I only had a number for him in France, I'm afraid, so I don't think that's going to be much help to you, sorry.

Michael

#19 PZR

PZR

• 135 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 14:39

I only had a number for him in France, I'm afraid, so I don't think that's going to be much help to you, sorry.

That's my situation too, sorry.

Advertisement

#20 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 17:33

Thank you, both. I will let you know when I find him again.

RL

#21 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 13:03

Thanks to everybody who has helped on this, I've found/ruled out a few people but still looking for any info on Trevor Howard...

#22 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:02

Roger Lund

Possibly?

Rob Grant, Sports writer at Australian Associated Press Melbourne Australia Area...

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 05 August 2015 - 08:59.

#23 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:56

Possibly?

Rob Grant, Sports writer at Australian Associated Press Melbourne Australia Area...

Hi 275 GTB4

I'm guessing that this Rob Grant isn't working any more, so I would be surprised if it was that one.

As it happens, I've now made contact with Keith Grant, so I don't really need to contact Rob to ask if he is Keith's brother!!!

But thanks again for your help on this, much appreciated.

#24 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:00

Just to update, I've now found Keith Grant, Len Bridge and Joe Lanny, still looking for leads on Trevor Howard and my letter to Tony Griffin hasn't produced any response yet. Going to Shelsley Walsh next weekend so perhaps time for a bit of door-stepping!

#25 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:07

Hi 275 GTB4

I'm guessing that this Rob Grant isn't working any more, so I would be surprised if it was that one.

As it happens, I've now made contact with Keith Grant, so I don't really need to contact Rob to ask if he is Keith's brother!!!

But thanks again for your help on this, much appreciated.

Not a problem Michael - I know of several Families who for one reason or another are estranged! So I did not assume that a brother would be in contact or indeed know where his sibling was :-) All's well that ends well.