- - - - -

Summer shut down

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Abranet

Abranet

• 287 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:40

Given Honda have came on and said they do not have a holiday and will keep working (which I can understand as they are a supplier rather than a team). To enable equality are Ferrari/Mercedes allowed to see their engine department as a separate 'supplier' and they keep working over the break?

Who exactly is affected by the shut-down in an F1 team

Advertisement

#2 Sebastien007

Sebastien007

• 637 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:47

It is really good for Honda, because they are so much behind but

Yeah, I'm asking if it is fair or not, that Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes have to be closed and Honda can still working.

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:47

Only the F1 team (the factory) is affected by the shut-down. The teams are even ordering before the shut-down at their suppliers some new parts which are produced (backed) during the shut-down and are ready when the shut-down is over. Thats also the reason why it is possible to have decent upgrades in Spa.

#4 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:00

It is really good for Honda, because they are so much behind but

Yeah, I'm asking if it is fair or not, that Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes have to be closed and Honda can still working.

I definitely heard during the SkyF1 broadcast last weekend that the summer shutdown (at least this year) does not cover power unit activities.

Regulations say:

22.13 During the shutdown period the following activities will not be considered a breach of the above :  
a) Repairs carried out with the agreement of the FIA to a car seriously damaged during the Event preceding the shutdown period.  
b) The assembly and servicing of running or static show cars, none of which may entail the production, assembly or servicing of any current car parts.  
c) The operation and use of any wind tunnel or computer resource for Restricted CFD Simulations provided this is being carried out for projects with no direct relation to Formula One or for or on behalf of a competitor that is not at that time within its own shutdown period.  
d) Any activity the sole purpose of which is supporting projects unconnected to Formula One, subject to the written approval from the FIA.  
e) Any activity in relation to the power unit as defined in Article 28.4(b).

So by my understanding, power unit development can go on for everyone during the summer break.

#5 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:04

I think it's a regs loophole... as there was no in-season development planned... :smoking:

#6 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 958 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:07

Silly question but out of interest, which side builds the clutch system?

#7 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:09

Silly question but out of interest, which side builds the clutch system?

Everything is done by suppliers if I'm not mistaken.

#8 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 958 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:12

Copy dat

#9 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:44

Paddy Lowe on what is allowed during the shut-down (at 5:05) [for the F1 team itself]

#10 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 14:35

I think it's a regs loophole... as there was no in-season development planned... :smoking:

It's not. It was always understood that development work goes on all the time. They are just aiming it at next year, instead of next race. (With exception of the token loophole.)

#11 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 21:57

Was in Maranello today on my holidays, and there were certainly a lot of guys in Ferrari uniform exiting the factory about half five. Maybe the shutdown is a myth :p

#12 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 21:58

Was in Maranello today on my holidays, and there were certainly a lot of guys in Ferrari uniform exiting the factory about half five. Maybe the shutdown is a myth :p

#13 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 21:59

The shutdown is BS.  They really should get rid of it.  Interrupting the MAIN part of the season for weeks is just nonsense :down:

#14 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,046 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 22:28

According to sky at least as far as Mercedes are concerned Brackley shuts down but Brixworth doesn't and Renault would do the same as Honda. So Honda wouldn't have an advantage. They also mentioned something about Ferrari having both the F1 team and the car manufacture under one roof (Maranello) and that it would be impossible to shut down one and not the other one.

They can still be open now because the equipment is coming back from Hungary, they just have to be shut down for two weeks out of this four week break.

Edited by SilverArrow31, 30 July 2015 - 22:32.

#15 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 23:00

The shutdown is BS.  They really should get rid of it.  Interrupting the MAIN part of the season for weeks is just nonsense :down:

And yet, those within the whole F1 travelling circus seem to want to keep the opportunity to see their children in the summer holidays.

#16 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:29

Yeah how dare real people have a break. 

F1 isnt just drivers.  

#17 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:44

most teams are starting the shutdown today ;) (its two weeks they can choose when they want to take them)

#18 Abranet

Abranet

• 287 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:57

I know MB deffo close down, a mate is very much looking forward to a couple of weeks off. As much as we may dislike the down time the team guys like it alot, their wives and kids quite like it too apparently :)  

#19 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:45

Only the F1 team (the factory) is affected by the shut-down. The teams are even ordering before the shut-down at their suppliers some new parts which are produced (backed) during the shut-down and are ready when the shut-down is over. Thats also the reason why it is possible to have decent upgrades in Spa.

No they don't, the suppliers aren't allowed to produce F1 part during the shutdown, this is specificly in the regulations, to prevent teams just out-sourcing parts manufacturing for two weeks, at great expense.

Advertisement

#20 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:51

No they don't, the suppliers aren't allowed to produce F1 part during the shutdown, this is specificly in the regulations, to prevent teams just out-sourcing parts manufacturing for two weeks, at great expense.

At least it was 1-2 years ago the case ;) Could be possible that they changed that.

#21 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 15:12

Yeah how dare real people have a break. 

F1 isnt just drivers.  

Agreed. Even for fans, the break can be a good thing. Holy Cow ....... there's so much to do in the summer! Swimming, cycling, time with the family, ..... and there is always IndyCar, MotoGP, or even NASCAR.

#22 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 15:57

They also mentioned something about Ferrari having both the F1 team and the car manufacture under one roof (Maranello) and that it would be impossible to shut down one and not the other one.

That's all right, no-one in their right mind would ever imagine that Ferrari might not adhere to the rules.

#23 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:08

The whole shut down notion is nothing but utter c*ap.

How is it policed? Certainly not by the FIA as they've been absent since Suzuka 2014.......

#24 cas422

cas422

• 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 17:56

Great Question. I was wondering that when I heard the Honda interview. Seems inconsistent. 

#25 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:24

And yet, those within the whole F1 travelling circus seem to want to keep the opportunity to see their children in the summer holidays.

How amazing.  Must be why every other company on the planet also shuts down when some of their employees go on holidays.  Oh wait, they don't.

It really is a monumental nonsense.

Neil

#26 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 768 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:28

How amazing.  Must be why every other company on the planet also shuts down when some of their employees go on holidays.  Oh wait, they don't.

Neil

Unlike most company, in F1, you travel... a lot. Thus the opportunity to meet with their family is not as much as regular employee.

Btw, are most of you guys work on Saturday and Sunday?

I really don't understand people like you and some others that think the holidays is nonsense.

#27 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:08

I hate the summer break, 2 weeks of silence and 4 weeks without a race but I totally understand why they have it.

I have noticed there is a bit of a difference when the teams have there 2 weeks shut down. For instance Red Bull finished Friday whereas Merc and Toro Rosso stopped from Monday. This suprised me a bit as I would have thought waiting until Monday 17th to start to send trucks out to Belgium was leaving it a bit late? Or are they allowed to send the motor homes on in advance with haulage companies? (as I figure its those that take the time to get set up early). I guess Belgium is pretty close and easy to get to so maybe they do have enough time by leaving early Monday anyway.

Wow, can't believe I'm pondering this, shows how bored I am already :(

#28 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:16

Neil

What a silly comparison.  You think that F1 should let some of their employees go on holiday whilst racing is continuing?  So at Spa, there is no Kimi because he is on holiday?  Lewis comes in for a pitstop but only gets three new wheels because the guys on the right rear are on holiday?  Most organisations that need a full work force to maintain continuous operations have an annual shut down for holidays.  The great British seaside resorts like Blackpool were built on factory shutdowns.

Or F1 teams could employ even more people and spend even more money that they haven't got to have the extra staffing to allow for holiday absences.  :rolleyes:

#29 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 14:46

How amazing. Must be why every other company on the planet also shuts down when some of their employees go on holidays. Oh wait, they don't.

Neil

Many companies do actually more or less shut down or downsize for summer holidays. Especially if there are factory operations, as they require the workers to be present. Of course, the management is often available even during the holidays as they can do a lot of the stuff remotely as well.

No-one can cope with non-stop work all year (or at least without their efficiency suffering).

#30 Vibe

Vibe

• 383 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 14:51

If you look at Red Bull before and after the summer break in their champion years,I think it's rather obvious how much of a break it really is.

#31 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:32

Neil

Lots of big companies have mandated 'off days' that employees have to take as holiday... some people don't go to work between Christmas and New Year, because there's not enough people to make opening up worthwhile.. teachers are told when they have to be on holiday...

But there again, maybe what we need to spice a race up is half the pit crew taking a holiday... drivers can pick which two tyres they'd like changed at any one pitstop, and at the other end of the car there's a nice postcard from Majorca... :rotfl:

This is ignoring the fact that the shutdown isn't because the team can't function without a few people at a time - the shutdown is to stop the team making sure they won't have to by not granting any holiday. It's protection for guys (and girls) that spend half their year travelling and it's also protection for those at the factory that are being pressured for that extra bit of development... it's like drivers and yellow flags - if you can't trust that they can self-regulate, then I don't see the problem with someone applying external pressure for the wellbeing of all.

It's not even like a mid season break is a totally F1 thing... don't lots of European football leagues have a Christmas shut down period?

#32 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:49

Neil

Shut up Neil.

#33 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:01

Unlike most company, in F1, you travel... a lot. Thus the opportunity to meet with their family is not as much as regular employee.

Btw, are most of you guys work on Saturday and Sunday?

I really don't understand people like you and some others that think the holidays is nonsense.

I really don't understand the notion that great sacrifices are being made by becoming a part of an active F1 team, travelling the world and working Saturdays and Sundays?

That's if I've read your post correctly....

Many would give their right one AND their left to be part of that scene. Get real FFS!

#34 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:43

The summer shutdown...when the one of the most brutal, Machiavellian, corrupt, greed fueled sports environments suddenly becomes sacntimonous re: private lives of mechanics and factory workers. :drunk: I agree it's a bit of farce...

#35 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 768 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:38

https://uk.sports.ya...-082920458.html

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the most brutal, Machiavellian, corrupt, and greedy bastard don't want the shutdown. It's for the relatively small people that worked hard, probably pouring more times than your average worker in Europe, especially on race weekends and on away races.

#36 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:37

I really don't understand the notion that great sacrifices are being made by becoming a part of an active F1 team, travelling the world and working Saturdays and Sundays?

Many would give their right one AND their left to be part of that scene. Get real FFS!

Yes, because flying cattle class every week for 8 months straight is fun, that working 7 days a week should be considered normal. How dare these people want to actually spend some time with the fmaily.

#37 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:36

You've never worked a 50 hour + week on a regular basis have you? It's exhausting and it doesn't matter how much you like your job. And I say that as someone who doesn't travel across time zones to do it, and I say that as someone who doesn't have children to miss out on while I'm doing it.

Many people would like to be part of that scene, but many people aren't willing to make the necessary sacrifices to get there or to stay there. I don't see why the sport would want to ask those that have to make extra sacrifices... it's two weeks holiday that can't be cancelled or changed or told 'yes, we'll pay you overtime and you'll get your holiday pay on top but we would like you to come to work today, and yes it's a request but no it's not optional and we don't care that you promised to take your kids out.'

The problem with jobs that everyone wants to do, generally, is that you're treated like crap once you're in them.

#38 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 14:47

Sure it may be true that most would give anything for these jobs, however they are still humans and can't be worked constantly.

I;m lucky to have gotten my dream job, but that doesn't mean I don't get holiday and vacation leave. People are more than their jobs and are entitled to have lives outside of work regardless of the field. Jobs should come with certain guarantees to allow the employee to maintain an outside life. No matter what the job, employers cannot assume their employees will/can always been available, so if by completely shutting down operations at certain times of the year guarantees their available the rest of the year it makes sense.