Perrinn - an F1 team for the public in the making

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,450 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:37

Very interesting article by SKY: http://www.skysports...esign-an-f1-car

Nicolas Perrinn is aiming to launch a Formula 1 Team in the near future, although current regulations don't allow his method of designing the car (although he thinks that this attitude will change). Apparently the design of the car will be open to the public! 

He also plans to design an LMP1 car.

Advertisement

#2 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:47

Apologies to SkyF1, but they've been beaten to the punch to the Perrinn F1 car story by half a year and the Perrinn LMP1 by almost two years.

http://www.dailyspor...rrinn-lmp1.html

http://www.gpupdate....-on-f1-journey/

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:54

File with Stefan Gp and that pizza parlour guy from Salt Lake City.

#4 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,450 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:16

File with Stefan Gp and that pizza parlour guy from Salt Lake City.

3cdcf463ba928bb91fdc4db725f996be6a015a05

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:22

It's MyF1Dream all over again.

#6 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,725 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:26

Is the guys first name Reggie?

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:59

This was the bit I liked 

In 2011, he established Perrinn – given an extra 'n' to help generate the brand "

That extra N makes all the difference, of course!  I am thinking of adding an extra G to my handle - BRGG - see how my brand has been generated?

#8 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 13:06

This was the bit I liked

" In 2011, he established Perrinn – given an extra 'n' to help generate the brand "

That extra N makes all the difference, of course! I am thinking of adding an extra G to my handle - BRGG - see how my brand has been generated?

One of my favourites was the one-word 'poem', 'Lighght', which successfully received a $500 grant from the NEA. What!? :rotfl:

Also brings to mind a favourite Mitch Hedberg line: 'I get confused because my new girlfriend and my old girlfriend have the same name: Lynn. The only difference is that the new 'Lynn' spells her name with an extra 'n'. Sometimes I f&$k up and call my new girlfriend by my old girlfriend's name. She can tell because I don't say '-nn' as long.' :lol:

Edited by Afterburner, 04 August 2015 - 13:12.

#9 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,931 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 13:14

I'm highly skeptical that crowd funding or whatever you want to call it will work in motorsport. I've long had doubts about the Brabham project, and this seems even more like a pipe dream. The costs are so colossal in motorsport, and I doubt that many people will be willing to donate much money to such a project.

Didn't people raise a million for Caterham to race at Abu Dhabi? Fat load of good that did...

#10 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,450 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 13:53

I'm highly skeptical that crowd funding or whatever you want to call it will work in motorsport. I've long had doubts about the Brabham project, and this seems even more like a pipe dream. The costs are so colossal in motorsport, and I doubt that many people will be willing to donate much money to such a project.

Didn't people raise a million for Caterham to race at Abu Dhabi? Fat load of good that did...

It's not crowdfunded.

#11 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 14:04

Interesting what this guy has been "planning" for 5 years now.

It's not crowdfunded.

It's not funded.

Next.

Edited by maximilian, 04 August 2015 - 14:04.

#12 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 14:06

This was the bit I liked 

In 2011, he established Perrinn – given an extra 'n' to help generate the brand "

That extra N makes all the difference, of course!  I am thinking of adding an extra G to my handle - BRGG - see how my brand has been generated?

You just earned a master's degree in marketing, congratulations!

#13 ch103

ch103

• 2,036 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 14:34

Never underestimate the wisdom of crowds.

#14 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,931 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 15:13

It's not crowdfunded.

Apologies. I'm sure I remember hearing that the plan for the LMP1 was for it to be crowdfunded, so assumed it would be a similar deal with any F1 project.

#15 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 15:14

I like the concept, though. I'm not an engineer or technician or in anyway useful in creating the car, but I work in marketing and would love to spend evenings and weekends helping an internet-collaboration team. If engineers or designers also feel that way, it could work?

Edited by Jackmancer, 04 August 2015 - 15:14.

#16 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 15:45

This was the bit I liked

" In 2011, he established Perrinn – given an extra 'n' to help generate the brand "

That extra N makes all the difference, of course! I am thinking of adding an extra G to my handle - BRGG - see how my brand has been generated?

Unfortunately it doesn't work too well if adding a 4th letter to a previously 3 letter acronym. I now have no idea who you are.

#17 krobinson

krobinson

• 610 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 15:57

It's MyF1Dream all over again.

:rotfl:

Oh yes, I remember that.

#18 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 15:58

Open source development has huge potential and would most likely be extremely successful in building any sort of car. There are plenty of individuals that have the expertise and know how to substantively contribute to these kind of projects, but their connections and means hold them back.

The problem is that there needs to be a structure that oversees the commons. If you don't have people overseeing the progress that can identify when ideas will not be effective, the entire project becomes a mess.

#19 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:31

I now have no idea who you are.

Me neither.  Particularly in the mornings.

Advertisement

#20 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,954 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:56

I didn't get where I am today by chucking money at anything named Perrin..

1003.jpeg

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 04 August 2015 - 17:58.

#21 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:05

Well if public forums and the internet have taught me anything, it's that people always know what they're talking about and know better than everybody else.

There is zero chance this ends up in complete failure.

Edited by Seanspeed, 04 August 2015 - 18:05.

#22 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:06

Is the guys first name Reggie?

Very droll.

#23 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 19:45

There is zero chance this ends up in complete failure.

I agree.  Some pillock is bound to fall for this scam and send him the £40 for a 'membership package', so Perrinnnnnn will be at least £40 better off.  Not a complete failure.

#24 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 19:51

This was the bit I liked 

To be fair, a quick Google search indicates that there are several noteworthy individuals and companies called Perrin - including this automotive company - whereas Perrinapparently has no competition, so he's not wrong.

#25 loki

loki

• 12,038 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 20:01

Open source development has huge potential and would most likely be extremely successful in building any sort of car. There are plenty of individuals that have the expertise and know how to substantively contribute to these kind of projects, but their connections and means hold them back.

The problem is that there needs to be a structure that oversees the commons. If you don't have people overseeing the progress that can identify when ideas will not be effective, the entire project becomes a mess.

In open source software projects the number of contributors that get anything into any project is very low compared to the number interested in the project, using it or following it.  In open source hardware the number is even less.  In fact in most open source hardware projects the only significant contributions come from the initial developer and a few others.  The skill sets are very different software to hardware and being as designing a race car, particularly an F1 race car is somthing that is going to be a huge challenge, if not insurmountable, for any sort of community wide effort.   The tools for design and validation are going to put most out even before any sort of knowledge inclusion happens.  Local Motors tried the open source vehicle model a few years back and didn't get very far.  They've pivoted a couple of times and while they still offer DIY vehicle kit building, the open source/crowd contribution model is lacking.  I see this effort as trying to leverage open source as a marketing approach rather than a way to build a serious, competitive race car.

Edited by loki, 05 August 2015 - 20:02.

#26 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,177 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 20:43

I didn't get where I am today by chucking money at anything named Perrin..

1003.jpeg

Jp

He should get Didier Perrin in to design his car.

#27 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:32

Wonder if Nicolas has been in touch with Finbar yet?

Accounting ability AND Team Principal experience....

#28 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:32

I'm stealing this guys idea for my next portfolio

Samsungg

Benqq

Ikeaa

Rolexx

Sonyy

Ferrarii

Rivieraa

McDonaldss

Red Bulll

#29 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:39

This was the bit I liked 

So Kimi should call himself Raikkonenn if he wants to stay on at Ferrari?

#30 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 13:19

In open source software projects the number of contributors that get anything into any project is very low compared to the number interested in the project, using it or following it.  In open source hardware the number is even less.  In fact in most open source hardware projects the only significant contributions come from the initial developer and a few others.  The skill sets are very different software to hardware and being as designing a race car, particularly an F1 race car is somthing that is going to be a huge challenge, if not insurmountable, for any sort of community wide effort.   The tools for design and validation are going to put most out even before any sort of knowledge inclusion happens.  Local Motors tried the open source vehicle model a few years back and didn't get very far.  They've pivoted a couple of times and while they still offer DIY vehicle kit building, the open source/crowd contribution model is lacking.  I see this effort as trying to leverage open source as a marketing approach rather than a way to build a serious, competitive race car.

I certainly don't think it will be nearly as successful as software because as you say the user base is not very wide. But I think there is still potential for some innovative ideas in hardware that users may find. These guys will probably never make a grid and if they do the car won't be impressive. However the concept of open source development to build a race car could be viable. And I think the more high profile the project the wider the contributor base will be. While yes it's probably more about marketing, it still could prove to be an interesting concept if nothing else. There a plenty of other benefits that could come out of it besides the building of a race car. The next Newey might be a user on the project and get a shot at something more legitimate. That's certainly been the case in the software industry to some extent.