* - - - - 1 votes

Wacky F1 Ideas.

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 16:42

I've recently been trying to think of crazy yet realistic ideas for F1 and shake it to its boots. A great idea for me is that we scrap the set driver lineup, why not make each driver race each car thoughout the season. That way we'd would see the likes of Vettel and Hamilton driving wheel to wheel in a Marussia at Bahrain for instance.

The points system would need altering so even the backmarkers would score points because let's face it Hamilton in a Marrusia would get nowhere driving a car like that, can any of you guys think of crazy yet realistic ideas for the sport??

Edited by Wally123, 04 August 2015 - 18:24.

Advertisement

#2 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,648 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 16:44

Drivers swapping around was one of the ideas that Max Mosley came up with years ago when Schumacher was dominating. In the end they settled on changing the points system.

But if the drivers aren't connected to the teams, who gets to decide who is an F1 driver?

#3 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 16:47

Drivers swapping around was one of the ideas that Max Mosley came up with years ago when Schumacher was dominating. In the end they settled on changing the points system.

But if the drivers aren't connected to the teams, who gets to decide who is an F1 driver?

Well I personally think my idea would set F1 on fire, the excitement would be crazy at the thought of seeing Vettel vs Alonso, Hamilton vs Ricciardo.... The only downside is I can imagine there would be lots of favourism and possibly sabotage.....

#4 Montie

Montie

• 1,833 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 16:54

Would the sponsors change with the driver? Imagine a huge sponsor coming to a team interested because of Hamilton, Alonso and so on, just to have him replaced by Will Stevens or Roberto Merhi for the next race.

#5 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,904 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 16:58

Sprinklers!

#6 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 16:58

Would the sponsors change with the driver? Imagine a huge sponsor coming to a team interested because of Hamilton, Alonso and so on, just to have him replaced by Will Stevens or Roberto Merhi for the next race.

Yeah and the likes of Will Stevens and Roberto Merhi could be involved in one of the greatest races in F1 if they were in a top car...

#7 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:05

Run the tracks backwards. Or really crazy, Qualifying is run in a reverse configuration but the race is run normally.

Of course I'm just pulling things out of my a$$

#8 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:07

Run the tracks backwards. Or really crazy, Qualifying is run in a reverse configuration but the race is run normally.

I don't think my idea is silly at all tbh, nothing artificial is involved. It would be man against man in different machinery on different circuits, mouth watering to say the least.

#9 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Sprinklers!

In the grandstands!

#10 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

One that should happen is a two race format, like they do in Superbikes and BSB and BTCC.

I personally believe in a Saturday or veen friday race for young drivers, a sort of rookie championship, then the main guys take over on Saturday.

#11 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:20

I don't think my idea is silly at all tbh, nothing artificial is involved. It would be man against man in different machinery on different circuits, mouth watering to say the least.

Your idea is pretty silly, I get where you're coming from, but it is very artificial and not suited to F1.

Sorry if I miss understood the point of the thread... I thought it was to bring in crazy ideas whether or not they would actually work or be effective.

#12 043Max

043Max

• 390 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:21

The wings and earo on tech on the cars should push them downwards hard enough to add loopings in the track no?

Add loopings!

#13 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,904 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:21

In the grandstands!

Sounds like Silverstone almost every year...

#14 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:24

Ah, the obsession with a levelled field...

I'd say let's replace all cars with hippos the drivers should ride.

Except the McLarens.

#15 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:28

The comedians are in the building I see....

#16 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:04

Get rid of Constructors championship. Especially with Rosberg/Hamilton we would have better races because they could decide their pit stop strategy on their own.

#17 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:08

Get rid of Constructors championship. Especially with Rosberg/Hamilton we would have better races because they could decide their pit stop strategy on their own.

Yeah or split the team into two sides so it would be team Hamilton against team Rosberg.

#18 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:21

As far as I'm aware, Knockhill in Fife is the only circuit currently licensed by the FIA to go both ways.

Nosecone on springs, for those awkward photo finishes... that's my wacky idea.  Maybe an oil sprayer out the back too...

#19 ch103

ch103

• 2,036 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:22

Mud tires - race of Motocross style tracks.

Advertisement

#20 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:41

Rather than having drivers jump cars and see top drivers in bad cars and midfield drivers in top cars, it would be better to have all drivers in similar cars. That way we could really see which drivers are making the difference. The idea of drivers jumping cars, though interesting, is probably not realistic.

I'd be for maybe having two one hour races, as, the way it is now, starts and finishes are the better parts of races. Might as well have two of each. Could be one race in each direction.

Not that wacky, has been tried before, should be tried again: one set of tyres per race.

Unlimited number of blocking moves per straight.

#21 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:43

Great idea, that should avoid TOs somewhat.

#22 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:48

Have a one-make cost-capped GP1 category as the support series with cars broadly conforming to F1 regulations, and calibrated to be competitive with the bottom half of the F1 field (e.g. through concessions on clearly defined rules - maybe even tyres). Then, allow the top four finishers in the Saturday race to join the back of the F1 grid for Sunday.

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,704 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:49

That's not a problem with the constructors championship. It's a problem of each car not having it's own pit crew and box.

#24 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:50

As far as I'm aware, Knockhill in Fife is the only circuit currently licensed by the FIA to go both ways.

Indy comes to mind: Oval and F1 track...

Henri

#25 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:51

Yeah or split the team into two sides so it would be team Hamilton against team Rosberg.

Or dump 2 driver teams altogether. 1 drive 1 team.

#26 greenman

greenman

• 1,565 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:55

If the race is boring, unleash DRACONE on the track

#27 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 18:59

Or dump 2 driver teams altogether. 1 drive 1 team.

Then we would need lots more teams and also lose the excitement of a teammate battle.

#28 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:01

Rather than having drivers jump cars and see top drivers in bad cars and midfield drivers in top cars, it would be better to have all drivers in similar cars. That way we could really see which drivers are making the difference. The idea of drivers jumping cars, though interesting, is probably not realistic.

I'd be for maybe having two one hour races, as, the way it is now, starts and finishes are the better parts of races. Might as well have two of each. Could be one race in each direction.

Not that wacky, has been tried before, should be tried again: one set of tyres per race.

Unlimited number of blocking moves per straight.

But then that would be a spec series and the teams would want out, I don't see how my idea is too unrealistic tbh.

#29 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 849 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:01

I've recently been trying to think of crazy yet realistic ideas for F1 and shake it to its boots. A great idea for me is that we scrap the set driver lineup, why not make each driver race each car thoughout the season. That way we'd would see the likes of Vettel and Hamilton driving wheel to wheel in a Marussia at Bahrain for instance.

The points system would need altering so even the backmarkers would score points because let's face it Hamilton in a Marrusia would get nowhere driving a car like that, can any of you guys think of crazy yet realistic ideas for the sport??

What? You mean like as in all other forms of team sports? Oh, wait...

You got one thing right though: "Crazy."

#30 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:05

Shortcuts that has to be used 2 times a race.

At Hockenheim they could resurface the old track and the drivers would have to go around the old track 2 times.

Nurburgring they would go around the old Ring but just one time.

#31 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,648 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:07

Well I personally think my idea would set F1 on fire, the excitement would be crazy at the thought of seeing Vettel vs Alonso, Hamilton vs Ricciardo.... The only downside is I can imagine there would be lots of favourism and possibly sabotage.....

OK, but how do you decide on the drivers?

#32 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:08

What? You mean like as in all other forms of team sports? Oh, wait...

You got one thing right though: "Crazy."

Who says F1 needs to be like "other" team sports...

#33 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:08

Increase the length of the races back to 3 or 4 hours, open tyre choices for compound and manufacturer, set fuel limit and any number of cylinders for engines. Alternatively if you want silly, make F1 race with gp2 and abolish blue flags.

#34 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:10

OK, but how do you decide on the drivers?

I'm working on it, can't be that difficult can it hahaha.

#35 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,648 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:11

OK, here's a wacky one. I don't think it could ever happen but hear me out.

Instead of the teams/drivers choosing the tyre compound themselves when they pit, make it so that there are two compounds and they have to use both in the race. I can't think of any advantages at the moment, but I'm sure they'll become apparent if we just implement the idea anyway and see what happens.

Also, make it so that the two tyre compounds are different each race, and arbitrarily selected by the tyre manufacturer just to leave that sour hint of a possibility that they could influence race/title outcomes by favouring certain teams on certain tracks.

#36 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,648 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:14

You know how in some arcade racing games the driver behind goes faster to make it "better"? Yeah, have that in F1. I'm not sure how, but maybe you could speed the cars up by having some sort of adjustable rear wing. I mean, it worked on some arcade games I played in the 90s, so why wouldn't it in F1?

#37 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:16

The final race of the year should have this format...

#38 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:29

Separate the driver and contructor championships.  Saturday the drivers race in identical cars for driver points, Sunday they race in their team cars for constructor points. 

Start the race with a pile of parts: nothing is preassembled.  Team has to put car together, pass tech inspection and start the race. 

#39 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:33

Separate the driver and contructor championships. Saturday the drivers race in identical cars for driver points, Sunday they race in their team cars for constructor points.

Start the race with a pile of parts: nothing is preassembled. Team has to put car together, pass tech inspection and start the race.

That could cause a lot of mistrust with the drivers, say for example Rosberg won the spec race on a Saturday yet was tonked by his teammate on Sunday that would make him scream sabotage.

Edited by Wally123, 04 August 2015 - 19:33.

Advertisement

#40 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:35

Or have the WCC decided by their lowest scoring driver. There would still need to be an incentive for the midfield teams and I was going to say have it decided by whoever finishes higher but then teams would sacrifice their 2nd driver to let the 1st driver get maximum points. This way they have to employ the best two drivers they can. If they get someone who crashes all the time and scores 0 points then they'll fail!

#41 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 19:46

I'm trying to workout how each driver could be paired up and on which circuit in a random and fair manner, any ideas?

Edited by Wally123, 04 August 2015 - 19:47.

#42 Sonic2k

Sonic2k

• 261 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 20:21

Reading this thread feels like attending to a strategy group meeting.  :smoking:

#43 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 20:32

Each team has 4 drivers who try and qualify once in each car. Fastest 2 get to race with the slower one getting choice of car (from the 2 in their team)

Edited by Giz, 04 August 2015 - 20:33.

#44 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 20:56

But then that would be a spec series and the teams would want out, I don't see how my idea is too unrealistic tbh.

Yes, a spec series would be the best way to compare drivers...without the bullshit. Not unrealistic? For starters, who would hire the drivers? FIA, FOM, Bernie? Because that's the only way they could switch. Or would they be paid on a race by race basis by each team? How would the small teams be able to afford the top drivers and why would the top teams be interested in the midfield drivers? In short, realistically, how would this driver jumping be organized?

#45 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 20:59

670px-Win-a-Race-in-Mario-Kart-Double-Da

#46 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 21:00

That could cause a lot of mistrust with the drivers, say for example Rosberg won the spec race on a Saturday yet was tonked by his teammate on Sunday that would make him scream sabotage.

Just because he makes the spec car work doesn't mean his setup in the team car is going to be good. 

#47 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,648 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 21:09

I'm trying to workout how each driver could be paired up and on which circuit in a random and fair manner, any ideas?

I think you forgot something. It's just a wacky idea - you don't need all the details! But just do it randomly if you want.

#48 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 21:27

Put wings upside down. The faster they go, the less grip they have!

#49 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 21:37

Hmm how about really soft tyres that degrade very quickly and canĀ“t be pushed?

Or a mechanism that makes a car go faster by pushing a button?

Maybe put limits on the amount of fuel cars can use so that they can't go as fast as they potentially could?

Or some sort of system that harvests energy from braking that later can be used to push a button that makes the cars go faster?

Or mandate the drivers to stop and use tyres of different colors?

Nahhh, that would be too artificial...

#50 ninetyzero

ninetyzero

• 706 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 21:50

I think some of you are watching the wrong sport... :well: