• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:23

Details of the 2016 Members' Meeting have just been announced

GOODWOOD MOTOR CIRCUIT TO STAGE 74th MEMBERS’ MEETING IN MARCH, 2016

The Goodwood Road Racing Club is delighted to announce that the 74th Members’ Meeting will be held on the weekend of March 19-20, 2016, at Goodwood Motor Circuit.

The Members’ Meeting was revived in 2014 for members of the GRRC to continue the tradition of the 71 club motor sport events held at Goodwood from 1949-66, and has, for the past two seasons, become the ‘must-attend’ opener for the historic motor racing season.

Star names including Le Mans 24 Hours winners Jochen Mass Emanuele Pirro and Richard Attwood, touring car legends Steve Soper, Rob Huff, Matt Neal, Rob Gravett, Tim Harvey, Mat Jackson, Andrew Jordan and Jason Plato, and current professionals like runaway GP2 championship leader Stoffel Vandoorne and FIA World Endurance Champion Anthony Davidson, contested this year’s event, which featured some of the greatest competition ever seen at Goodwood.

The 74th Members’ Meeting features several new races, one of which will mark the debut of motorcycle racing at the event in a special on-track encounter for 250 and 350cc two-stroke grand prix bikes of the 1970s and early ‘80s – an era that featured world title success for riders such as Giacomo Agostini, Walter Villa, Johnny Cecotto and Toni Mang.

Also making their debuts in 2016 will be an into-the-dusk encounter on Saturday exclusively for the Ford GT40 to mark the 50th anniversary of the car’s maiden win at the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1966, and the introduction of the Whitmore Trophy for mid-1960s saloons in honour of former British and European Touring Car Champion Sir John Whitmore.

The hugely-popular Gerry Marshall Trophy – which pairs professional racers with Group 1 touring cars of the early 1980s – returns for a third successive year, while the Bruce McLaren Trophy for early Can-Am protoypes is also retained from 2015.

The 2016 Members’ Meeting will feature a total of 13 races – the most ever staged at the event, with 11 taking place on a packed Sunday of on-track action that will cater for some exquisite historic sports and single-seater cars among the daffodils.

High-speed demonstrations will be held for ‘ground-effect’ Formula 1 cars of 1977-82; examples of which were driven to World Championship success by legends such as Mario Andretti, Nelson Piquet and Keke Rosberg, and for spectacular Group 6 sportscars such as the iconic Le Mans-winning Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512.

Off-track, the battle for the Goodwood House Cup, won by Anthony Reid’s ‘Methuen’ House for the past two years, will be bolstered by fun competitions – all counting for House points – throughout the weekend, and will feature a huge Saturday night party for all guests, culminating in a spectacular fireworks display set to music.

Members of the GRRC can secure their spots at the event now with those on the Club waiting list able to purchase from 2 November. A small number of tickets will go on general sale on 1 January next year, subject to availability.

Advertisement

#2 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 14:57

I shall now begin the process of convincing The Boss to cross the pond for the South Downs for yet the ninth time.......Wish me luck!

#3 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 21:59

Tickets for the Members' Meeting are now available for purchase by those who aren't members of the GRRC

http://ticketing.goo...44h2r7G5Qpxm.97

#4 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:25

Looking forward to this event, last year was amazing, plus no traffic jams. Great atmosphere.

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 20:24

I've just seen that a few tickets are now available for both days for non-members, at £82 each. They must be bluddy mad. There's no way I'm going to pay that much, I think I'll just watch it on Motors TV for free.

#6 IanWegg

IanWegg

• 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 14:08

I've just seen that a few tickets are now available for both days for non-members, at £82 each. They must be bluddy mad. There's no way I'm going to pay that much, I think I'll just watch it on Motors TV for free.

Tickets to watch 90 minutes of football at my local ground are £43. Seats for a 2.5 hour musical performance at the theatre have just cost me £59.50.

£82 for an entire day's motor racing plus evening entertainment sounds like a bargain to me.

#7 56Lotus

56Lotus

• 55 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 14:51

£82 is for 2 whole days and 1 evening, not bad I think.

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 00:19

'£82 is for 2 whole days and 1 evening, not bad I think'

Nope;  

#9 chris shaw

chris shaw

• 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:13

Seems to be some confusion on exactly what you get for your money - I read it as £82 per day and £131 for 2 days. I guess we all have different ideas of what is value for money depending on our circumstances.
Reality is for a couple attending, programme, food, petrol etc you are looking at £200 for a day out. I would love to be there but realistically it is more likely that I see it on the telly and live historic will be courtesy of HSCC meetings. Maybe that's why it isn't so crowded ?

#10 john aston

john aston

• 2,676 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:14

I don' think £82 is excessive in objective terms - but it may be pricey for many of us. Decent meal out £40 plus each, name band at the Sage £50, Opera - I have paid £170 before now and a BTCC race(with rubbish support races ) £30 plus. My bargain is Silverstone classic where as a car club member it works out at less than £20 per day- and with infield car parking.    

#11 56Lotus

56Lotus

• 55 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:15

Correct gents, my mistake

Still comparing to other events, football/rugby etc I still think it's not too bad.  I was looking at info about Flying Scotsman (don't ask!) and prices start much higher,  £25 to attend and just take photos, for a start, actual tickets for a ride are, in my opinion, astronomical.  However I'm sure they'll all sell out.

It seems the cost of attending any event is skyrocketing.  C&SC are boasting about how good their event was but only 15,150 people turned up over the weekend, surely not enough to make it viable unless ticket prices are high, which they are.

I don't get to go to as many events as I'd like, so I try to pick the best I can and Goodwood has always produced the goods.  I get there as the gates open and they have to pry me out in the evening!  Love wondering the pits in the morning seeing the cars being uncovered and warmed up and then in the evening chatting to the mechanics, watching the cars being put away or prepared for the following day.

Jon

#12 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:46

http://i.goodwood.com/MM360/

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:53

Mike Hailwood Tribute

https://grrc.goodwoo...ffAPTT7LC1ji.97

#14 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 13:18

It is an insane amount of money for any race meeting, second only to the F1 race. I woudn't go on principle

I would never dream of spending that on watching some rich hicks driving around very slowly. Classic is the same really, a total mis costing if you compare it to anything else.

This is NOT even comparable to a Premier League footy match, that is top drawer talent on show in a game that means something!  Gigs have priced themselves up since CD's stopped selling so much and bands found gigging a way of making money and mobile phone firms told you it was the cool thing to do so you bought into it.

But then I am very, very far from March's target audience, so it figures.

I would imagine most posters on here are far more agreeable!

#15 john aston

john aston

• 2,676 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 14:03

Not sure I'd class , let me see, Messrs Stretton, Oliver, Brundle , Shedden, Kristensen , Huff, Ashley et al as 'rich hicks' and I can't say I noticed Michael Lyons in Hesketh or Bob Berridge in Mercedes C11 as being slow . 

Classic- three days, 1200 cars , innumerable desirable road cars  for £20 a day ? Bargain .....

Or HSCC or VSCC Cadwell - £15 or something and . like the Classic but unlike the Revival, no braying  hoorays ..    

#16 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 14:41

The comparison with totally different fields (football, dining out, concerts) cuts no ice so far as I'm concerned as price is always a matter of policy - in effect it's what the market will bear.

Having said that, I agree with John that VSCC Cadwell @ £15ish is the show to beat as the VSCC drivers are pretty competitive but clean. Some may well be rich and if that permits them to chance racing expensive old cars for us to see, I'm all for it!

Fortunately we are all different otherwise we'd all try to attend the same things. I'm happy to let you pay £43 to watch a football match or £40 to eat out, so long as I can go to VSCC Prescott or Cadwell whilst you're doing that!

#17 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 17:42

My issue with a lot of this is the same as a lot of historic racing sadly, the cars you often want to really see are just bimbled about and almost a moving car show rather than doing what they should be.

I do understand why and the reasons are obvious, but it has detracted from the spectacle for me numerous times which is why I tend to avoid these over expensive trinket type events like this, Goodwood and the like.

As others have said, would far rather do the more local club meetings, that is where the true enthusiasts are rather than the Swiss billionaires and their Winnebago's!

#18 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 18:27

My issue with a lot of this is the same as a lot of historic racing sadly, the cars you often want to really see are just bimbled about and almost a moving car show rather than doing what they should be.

I do understand why and the reasons are obvious, but it has detracted from the spectacle for me numerous times which is why I tend to avoid these over expensive trinket type events like this, Goodwood and the like.

As others have said, would far rather do the more local club meetings, that is where the true enthusiasts are rather than the Swiss billionaires and their Winnebago's!

Just wondering, when did you last visit Goodwood?

Edited by bill p, 30 January 2016 - 18:56.

#19 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 882 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 19:37

Just wondering, when did you last visit Goodwood?

My thoughts too! Been to a number of F1 meetings, and the Goodwood Members Meeting (thus far) has been waaaaay much better value for money: and you get racing for goodness sake!

Sadly the world is full of armchair enthusiasts, who are convinced that F1 is the pinnacle of the sport, without managing to ever leave their armchairs. In fact, on second thoughts, it's not sad - long may they remain there!

:clap:

Advertisement

#20 56Lotus

56Lotus

• 55 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 20:00

I agree

Just watch some of the on board footage from Goodwood and you'll see just how "slow" some of these guys are driving.  Maybe the cars are owned by the wealthy but in most cases they have pro or semi pro drivers.  The Revival has got too full of other "stuff" which I could well do without but the MM is great.

I do agree with the value for money of VSCC events but they don't cover the period I enjoy the most, but I'll still go when I can

Jon

#21 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 21:38

I haven't been to an F1 race since 1989 and I last went to Goodwood a couple of years ago though not for a high stakes event like these.

Sorry, but they are not priced for the ordinary man, they are priced for what March wants to be there, rich people. The horse racing country set, classic car owners etc.

The Festival of Speed is just about within reach for the everyman, but most of their events are for the middle and upper classes, not ordinary folk who understand what things cost and what represents value and good entertainment. But the last time I went there with a group of family we vowed never again, you couldn't see much, the crowds were ridiculous and it was a chore rather than an event. yes if you are sitting on your grandstand for a onner fair enough but even then I did it once as a gift and it was nothing special.

I have been to free motocross and bike enduro's that offer better entertainment, nicer people, less stuffiness I am afraid. So don't preach to me about being someone who never goes anywhere

#22 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 21:41

This is NOT even comparable to a Premier League footy match, that is top drawer talent on show in a game that means something!  

Regardless of whether it offers good value for money or not, might I respectfully suggest that a Premier League football match only means something to other Premier League football-watchers? To the majority of the population I would say it means virtually nothing, much the same as the Members Meeting or the Revival

#23 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:27

I really do not understand any point you are trying to make!

MOst people who attend a match are there because they support a team, therefore it means something, the results does, supporting their club does.

I suppose if you feel the need to support a multi millionaire peer then fair enough!  But I realised the error of my ways many years ago after briefly working among those type of people!

#24 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 882 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:41

Still - cracking meeting and amazing racing eh? What's not to like?

You pay's fer yer ticket or takes yer money elsewhere. Pretty much like anything else.

#25 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:17

And seeing Nick Swift battling with the Camaros and Rovers is worth the money alone (no discussion about period spec here - but show is great). And then add in the Lola T70 spiders etc. in a thundering field plus all the other diverse grids.

And no crowding - for which I am willing to pay a bit more - much better than the Revival (for me).

And remember - we have a rather unfavorable exchange rate at the moment ! :yawnface:

Have been to both MMs - unfortunately have to miss 2016 due to an event I am doing the weekend after, but there is the live streaming, fortunately.

Ralf

#26 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 14:53

Latest Members' Meeting news:
https://grrc.goodwoo...PeQd5zzxIPcp.97

#27 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:37

And seeing Nick Swift battling with the Camaros and Rovers is worth the money alone (no discussion about period spec here - but show is great). And then add in the Lola T70 spiders etc. in a thundering field plus all the other diverse grids.
And no crowding - for which I am willing to pay a bit more - much better than the Revival (for me).
And remember - we have a rather unfavorable exchange rate at the moment ! :yawnface:
Have been to both MMs - unfortunately have to miss 2016 due to an event I am doing the weekend after, but there is the live streaming, fortunately.

Ralf

Sorry to hear this, Ralf. I was hoping we would finally be able to meet. I was at MM last year but didn't realize you were there!

Jack.

#28 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:37

Yes, I am sorry, too. Would have been nice to meet up. 

We always do a Rally over Easter, the dates are too close this time. And this year the Rally is in the Eifel/Nürburgring area, so we probably will be freezing similar to last year´s MM....

The only consolation I have is the perspective of a live stream from MM, so will watch that the whole weekend.

Ralf

#29 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 22:03

Has anyone eaten at the Kennels lately? I've heard some disappointing stories recently about indifferent service and a decline in quality. Can anyone here chime in? This is always a special trip for us and we've enjoyed The Kennels in the past, but for what they charge it should be superior. If it isn't, I'd like to make other plans. Thanks.

Jack

#30 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 23:14

The Blue Bell at Cocking 3 miles up over the Trundle towards Midhurst is usually quite good, modest prices too.

Roger Lund

#31 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:30

The Blue Bell at Cocking 3 miles up over the Trundle towards Midhurst is usually quite good, modest prices too.
Roger Lund

Thanks, Roger. Our "usuals" are the Royal Oak in Lavant, the White Horse in Sutton (where we stay), the Star and Garter and The Fox Goes Free, both near Upwaltham, I think.

Oh, and Amelie and Friends in Chichester.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 26 February 2016 - 01:33.

#32 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 423 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 20:54

With particular apologies to Jack...

I've been a bit of a chump. I've had my head so buried in Whitney Straight's diaries that I haven't booked tickets for MM74.

If anyone finds they have two tickets up for grabs for the Saturday, could he/she PM me please? 

Much obliged.

Paul

#33 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 423 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:07

With particular apologies to Jack...

I've been a bit of a chump. I've had my head so buried in Whitney Straight's diaries that I haven't booked tickets for MM74.

If anyone finds they have two tickets up for grabs for the Saturday, could he/she PM me please?

Much obliged.

Paul

#34 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 423 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:08

For the avoidance of doubt, I would of course pay the full ticket price and P&P.

Thanks.

Paul

#35 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:01

Here's an entry list: https://grrc.goodwoo...full-entry-list

And a timetable: https://grrc.goodwoo...ional-timetable

#36 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 17:29

It's disappointing that there isn't a single Ferrari entry. You'd think there'd be one or two at least in the Graham Hill Trophy.

DCN, can you shed some light?

#37 opplock

opplock

• 944 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 17:41

No Ferraris? A quick look at the entry list shows:

Brooks Trophy - 2 x 246 Dino.

Parnell Cup        125/166

Collins Trophy     225 and 375

GP Demo           312T5

Sports Car Demo  3 x 512M, 3 x 512S

Looks like a good meeting but the £85 per day admission is too steep for me. The idea of an all Ford GT race doesn't appeal, after all one-make racing is a relatively modern disease.

Edited by opplock, 12 March 2016 - 17:43.

#38 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 19:25

Which Jaguar C type does Frederic Wakeman have?

Vince H.

#39 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 22:11

No Ferraris? A quick look at the entry list shows:

Brooks Trophy - 2 x 246 Dino.
Parnell Cup        125/166
Collins Trophy     225 and 375

GP Demo           312T5
Sports Car Demo  3 x 512M, 3 x 512S

Looks like a good meeting but the £85 per day admission is too steep for me. The idea of an all Ford GT race doesn't appeal, after all one-make racing is a relatively modern disease.

Thanks. You're correct, of course. I have no idea how I missed that! I was just hoping for a couple of GTOs in the Graham Hill Trophy race.

Advertisement

#40 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 19:27

For the avoidance of doubt, I would of course pay the full ticket price and P&P.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul, I have messaged you via your e-mail address on your website.

#41 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 19:46

I passed by the track this afternoon.  Everything is looking nearly ready - grandstands in place, car parks ready.  All it needs is race cars and race people.

#42 JMH

JMH

• 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 15:21

Watching it now. Just wondering why no one's wearing HANS when as of this year it's mandatory for anything other than std cars (or so I thought)?

JH

#43 JMH

JMH

• 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 15:28

Or are those Capris, SD1s etc all squeezing in under the pre 77 ruling?

JH

#44 rbm

rbm

• 336 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 20:23

Watching it now. Just wondering why no one's wearing HANS when as of this year it's mandatory for anything other than std cars (or so I thought)?

JH

Q.10.1 (e) An FIA approved FHR device, fitted in accordance with K.10.4, is Mandatory for drivers in Circuit Racing. With the exception of Period Defined Vehicles for which it is recommend.

Period Defined Vehicles (Non-Rally)
A – (Veteran) Cars built before 1 Jan 1905.
B – (Edwardian) Cars built between 1 Jan 1905 and 31 Dec 1918.
C – (Vintage) Cars built between 1 Jan 1919 and 31 Dec 1930.
D – (Post Vintage Thoroughbred) Cars built between 1 Jan 1931 and 31 Dec 1946.
E – Cars built between 1 Jan 1947 and 31 Dec 1961 (up to 31 Dec 1960 for single seater and two seater racing cars).
F – Cars built between 1 Jan 1962 and 31 Dec 1965 (from 1 Jan 1961 for single seater and two seater racing cars and up to 31 Dec 1966 for Formula 2).
G – Cars built between 1 Jan 1966 (1 Jan 1964 for Formula 3) and 31 Dec 1971 that are no longer eligible for current Competition.
H – Cars built between 1 Jan 1972 and 31 Dec 1976 that are no longer eligible for current Competition

so basically no HANS for period F or older

Edited by rbm, 19 March 2016 - 20:24.

#45 JMH

JMH

• 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 21:57

Ah, the logic of the MSA rules: Minis, Capris, Rovers et al built prior to 1977 are inherently safer for the driver than those built less that 7 days later! Speaking as someone who drive both pre & post 76 cars, the rules are indeed barking mad.

JH

#46 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 22:39

So what would you propose instead, that isn't 'barking mad'?  Everyone to use a HANS - that would be good for the pre 1905 veterans?

#47 JMH

JMH

• 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 14:05

Completely the other way round actually - let a driver decide for himself whatever the age of the vehicle. My point is that the rules are nuts because identical cars span the mandatory/non-mandatory dates. My 1933 car frightens the life out of me, but I wouldn't have it any other way, drive accordingly & wouldn't dream of fitting a roll hoop to it either.  

#48 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 17:22

There were a couple of nasty-looking accidents today, especially a single-seater cartwheeling at the exit of the Chicane. No serious injuries, I hope...

#49 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 18:56

The Edwardians' race was brilliant.

#50 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 19:34

Yes, but a little too staged me thinks.