Jenson Button and wife gassed and robbed in France

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 AmnGoogly87

AmnGoogly87

• 140 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:01

http://www.dailymail...belongings.html

I have to admit I was pretty shocked when this came up on my news feed, it's extremely scary and disturbing. So happy they're ok, hope they catch the robbers ASAP!

Advertisement

#2 Volcano70

Volcano70

• 871 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:07

Oh my that's horrible. I hope the stolen items are retrieved and the robbers are punished. I hope no trophies were stolen....

#3 AmnGoogly87

AmnGoogly87

• 140 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:11

I'm just glad they're OK, this could have been so much worse... 

#4 Button4life

Button4life

• 6,059 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:12

Damm, that's pretty scary. Isn't it the 2nd time this happened to Jenson

#5 bananaSpanner

bananaSpanner

• 833 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:12

Bloody hell. Scary stuff if they were actually gassed, but it's not clear from the article if they were or not (they quote the spokesman saying that the thieves "even go as far as gassing", buy doesn't say it definitely happened in this case)

#6 AmnGoogly87

AmnGoogly87

• 140 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:16

Damm, that's pretty scary. Isn't it the 2nd time this happened to Jenson

They attempted to kidnap him in Brazil in 2010 but they were unsuccessful thankfully

#7 Volcano70

Volcano70

• 871 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:22

What do people have against button?

#8 Button4life

Button4life

• 6,059 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:25

He's a rich guy. He has something like 100 mil euros

#9 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:26

I can't believe it. I have heard of that method being used to steal things from people on camping and caravan holidays, but not on the scale of a villa!

This story could have been so much worse if they were gassed, thank god it was just belongings that were taken and no harm came to them physically.

#10 Volcano70

Volcano70

• 871 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:30

I know that Button's rich, but he is a nice person. This story is just crazy. Have any other motorsport drivers gotten robbed?

#11 Rakaman

Rakaman

• 196 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:30

Between Brazil in 2010 and now this, I am convinced Jenson is some kind of top secret international spy and someone really high up in Specter is coming after him. 

Seriously though, glad they are ok. 

#12 AmnGoogly87

AmnGoogly87

• 140 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:36

Between Brazil in 2010 and now this, I am convinced Jenson is some kind of top secret international spy and someone really high up in Specter is coming after him. 

Seriously though, glad they are ok. 

Well, his initials are JB ... it was in front of us all this time!

I kid now but obviously, this was very serious and those burglars need to be put behind bars as fast as possible. 

#13 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:36

Must be hardcore Barrichello fans.

Seriously, this is pretty awful. Hope the police can track the robbers down, as a robbery like this has the potential to turn violent.

#14 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 22:55

That is shocking. I'm just glad they are both OK.

#15 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 23:21

Jenson doesn't have the best luck with criminals - wasn't he almost kidnapped in Brazil a few years back?

Anyway, people suck. Glad they're both okay.

#16 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 23:25

Christ, that's scary. Glad everybody's alright. If they were gassed, that could have had really serious consequences...

#17 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 23:31

Although it is sad what happened i'm so glad they are all ok. To think they were unconcious that could have been so much worse.

#18 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 23:50

Jenson had a legit reason to complain about his balance this time..

But seriously, far out. 

#19 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 23:51

I'm not clicking a Daily Mail link so don't know the specifics of the story, but yeah sucks that this happened to Jenson, he seems like a really nice guy with some shitty luck regarding criminals. He may be crazy rich but all the money in the world means zero in the moments you're fearing for your life.

Advertisement

#20 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 00:00

It's also been copied and pasted onto a nice safe BBC page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33814823

Holidaymakers have also reported beging gassed, but I think the authorities played it down (they would, wouln't they?). What must make that even worse than a regular burglary is being compeletely helpless, and knowing that it could happen again unless one is obsessively vigilant. And what gas is being used? I doubt the burglars are going to do clinical trials to assess the long-term impact of this.

#21 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 00:05

Holidaymakers have also reported beging gassed, but I think the authorities played it down (they would, wouln't they?). What must make that even worse than a regular burglary is being compeletely helpless, and knowing that it could happen again unless one is obsessively vigilant. And what gas is being used? I doubt the burglars are going to do clinical trials to assess the long-term impact of this.

Yeah,gassing has been around for a few years now but doesn't get much publicity,several Australians were robbed on an overnite Train in Europe after being gassed,i did a Google and it didn't show but i think it was around 2010.

http://www.telegraph...ers-warned.html

Edited by Ian G, 07 August 2015 - 00:07.

#22 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,888 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:59

I didn't know about this method with gas, really scary stuff, they were lucky the robbers only wanted money and not rape, murder or straight kidnapping.

Glad they are OK.

#23 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:08

http://www.dailymail...belongings.html

I have to admit I was pretty shocked when this came up on my news feed, it's extremely scary and disturbing. So happy they're ok, hope they catch the robbers ASAP!

Whaaa.....??  :mad:  :down:

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,636 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:09

Glad they're ok. On a side note, even if I was rich like that, I just can't see myself vacationing with "valuables worth £300,000" in my room.  I realize that a watch or the ring could easily eat up much of that amount, but damn. Seems like a bad idea to me. 

Edited by AustinF1, 07 August 2015 - 02:46.

#25 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:03

Glad they're ok. On a side note, even if I was rich like that, I just can't see myself vacationing with "valuables worth £300,000" in my room.  I realize that a watch or the ring could easily eat up much of that amount, but damn. Seems like a bad idea to me. 

From the BBC article it seems they were in a friend's villa with friends so I guess the stolen items were from all of them. This circumstance also implies that Jenson and his wife weren't primary targets, they just happened to be in the house the burglars chose. 

#26 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:12

The reports on this supposed gassing are totally sensationalist, when they are based on a quote from the police effectively saying the method of gassing may have been used in the past in their opinion, or some outlets quoting the obligatory 'source close to...' who say they may have been gassed.

All we know to date as fact is they were robbed. I prefer my news based on facts.

Important to read this link, which while based on motorhomes, applies here. In fact it applies even more so here. If it wouldn't work in a motorhome, it certainly won't in a villa. Gassing is a myth:

http://www.rcoa.ac.u...-motor-vehicles

Edited by Imperial, 07 August 2015 - 06:31.

#27 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:23

It sounds like they were travelling pretty light as far as high value items goes. If the engagement ring alone was £250k, it would only taken a couple items of jewellery and a watch or two to hit £300k.

#28 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:24

Scary thing especially if you are currently yourself on vocations. Luckly nothing serious happened eventhought the loss of the engagement ring is hurting a lot. Scary that this happened again after Brazil.

#29 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:24

The reports on this supposed gassing are totally sensationalist, when they are based on a quote from the police effectively saying the method of gassing has been used in the past, or some outlets quoting the obligatory 'source close to...' who say they may have been gassed.

All we know to date as fact is they were robbed. I prefer my news based on facts.

Quite true, best to only take information from the official statement. As opposed to an article from The Daily Mail via The Sun who quote from a nameless 'source close to the McLaren driver'

#30 Razoola

Razoola

• 544 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:29

I'm not says the gas never happened but I personally want to wait to see if that's confirmed before believing it, its the British press after all. Glad they are ok though,

#31 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,717 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:01

I am glad nothing serious have happened for both of them.

It is again Renault's fault. First RedBull, now Jenson and Jessica  :down: :rolleyes:

#32 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:10

What a horrid ordeal, glad everyone is ok (if somewhat shaken up). I hope they catch those responsible and get back those precious items. Shame.

#33 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:22

Will Jenson use the robbery as an excuse to transfer to Paris Saint-Germain?

#34 brr

brr

• 480 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:32

What a horrid ordeal, glad everyone is ok (if somewhat shaken up). I hope they catch those responsible and get back those precious items. Shame.

Maybe it wasn't a horrid ordeal. Go to sleep, wake up, jewels gone. Better than being beaten up or shot to death.

#35 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:41

Maybe it wasn't a horrid ordeal. Go to sleep, wake up, jewels gone. Better than being beaten up or shot to death.

I'm sure it's safe to say being robbed is a horrid ordeal.

#36 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 1,468 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:43

Not a word on autosport about it

#37 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:57

I am speechless, wow. Glad they are ok, hopefully karma bites those robbers back.

#38 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:55

Not a word on autosport about it

They never cover non-sporting issues and I agree with this policy. Leave it for the tabloids.

#39 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:02

Think gassing sounds pretty implausible from everything I've read, surprised the BBC are running with it. I read Roald Dahl's autobiography and he basically had to be smothered with a cloth soaked in chloroform to knock him out for operations in his childhood. No way you'd get that concentration of anaesthetic in a room just by pumping it through the air conditioning (which also happens to pump air back outside constantly as well...)

Thieves can be very sneaky and determined, especially if they know exactly what they are planning to steal and how to do it quickly and efficiently. They might have been observing the people staying in the villa for a while to get an idea of their movements and potential entry points.

Plus they're on holiday, it's hot, I'm sure Jenson is probably allowed to have a drink or two by Mclaren when he's relaxing. Not out of the realms of possibilities that they were all just sleeping heavily and didn't hear anything to warrant getting out of bed.

Advertisement

#40 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:15

Official statement as quoted from BBC:

"Two men broke into the property whilst they all slept and stole a number of items of jewellery including, most upsettingly, Jessica's engagement ring.

"The police have indicated that this has become a growing problem in the region with perpetrators going so far as to gas their proposed victims through the air conditioning units before breaking in."

So gas has been used in the region in similar burglaries, but there's not anything to suggest that a) gas was used in this case or b) it was anything except a case of being targetted because expensive holiday villas normally contain rich people and their expensive belongings.

#41 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:58

Does Jessica not sleep in her ring? If she does it's quite conceivable that they would have been gassed as it would be difficult to sleep through someone taking it off your finger.

Must have been a really difficult morning for them all.  :well:

#42 Ayrtonnn

Ayrtonnn

• 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:14

Oh, super bad news.. But I'm happy they are ok.. :)

#43 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,633 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:49

Telegraph says it didn't happen.

http://www.telegraph...xperts-say.html

Or at least, they were, like, well tired, not drugged.

I like the way the Royal College of Anaesthetists assume the only gases to knock people out must be safe anaesthetics. What about carbon monoxide? I'm sure the thieves don't care too much whether anyone dies (or am I being pessimistic?)

#44 tmekt

tmekt

• 1,254 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:51

I know that Button's rich, but he is a nice person. This story is just crazy. Have any other motorsport drivers gotten robbed?

Jules Bianchi was if I recall correctly. A bar night and they took his wallet and watch or something. Not 100% sure, though.

#45 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 13:02

Telegraph says it didn't happen.

http://www.telegraph...xperts-say.html

Or at least, they were, like, well tired, not drugged.

I like the way the Royal College of Anaesthetists assume the only gases to knock people out must be safe anaesthetics. What about carbon monoxide? I'm sure the thieves don't care too much whether anyone dies (or am I being pessimistic?)

I think the robbers would rather have the police chasing them on robbery charges than murder charges. Makes the getaway a bit tougher you see.

#46 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 13:06

Well, Fangio got kidnapped...

Edit: http://en.espn.co.uk...tory/23608.html

Edited by Kristian, 07 August 2015 - 13:09.

#47 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 13:08

Jules Bianchi was if I recall correctly. A bar night and they took his wallet and watch or something. Not 100% sure, though.

Better than his spectacles and testicles...

Burglary is not pleasant to be on the receiving end of - I've been broken into twice in the last 20 years, and each time I've had serious paranoia for some time after.

Fencing that ring is not going to be easy - even if they break it up, the stones themselves will probably be recorded somewhere - I hope that the police get the gits, and that Jenson, Jessica and their 3 guests don't have to many problems after

Edited by Lotus53B, 07 August 2015 - 13:09.

#48 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,701 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 13:38

Does Jessica not sleep in her ring? If she does it's quite conceivable that they would have been gassed as it would be difficult to sleep through someone taking it off your finger.

Would you sleep with this thing on?

Jenson-Button-Jessica-Michibata-MAIN.jpg

I'm sure he's insured for all these valuables, but it still must have been a very scary thing to wake up to that.

#49 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 13:40

That ring could be dangerous to wear while sleeping! I think going au naturale is smart.

Hopefully they're handling it well. Jenson seems like the type who doesn't want to live behind a wall or have bodyguards and all that, which I respect.

#50 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 15:34

This is why I decided not to get rich!!

Seriously, hope they are OK with no lasting after-effects.