- - - - -

Pet Hate: Fantrums

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 13:25

What are the frequent tantrums thrown up by fans that you find annoying?  Lets be positive about this, and not take offence.  :)

For me its : "Lets change the qualifying format" while I find it very good. 

Advertisement

#2 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 13:33

The worst was the "cheese tyres" whine that, I believe, actually contributed to the 2013 season being utterly ruined. Pirelli even warned that Red Bull would run away with it if they changed the tyres. I refused to watch a single race after the change and didn't miss anything really.

The other one is "bring back refueling" by some people who believe in some false nostalgia that everything was better 10 years before any given point in time.

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 13:36

"Bring back refuelling because F1 is boring"

#4 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,712 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 13:41

"The Honda PU is the only reason Mclaren aren't fighting for race wins!"

"Paved runoffs are ruining modern circuits!"

"I won't attend races any more because the new engines sound like crap"

Wait, that last one actually applies to me. Never mind.

#5 HeidfeldsBeard

HeidfeldsBeard

• 599 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 13:55

"Nico Hulkenberg should be driving a top car!"

While it's quite reasonable for fans to think that based on some of his performances, surely if he really was that great he would have made the step up?

#6 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,712 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 13:57

While it's quite reasonable for fans to think that based on some of his performances, surely if he really was that great he would have made the step up?

This mimics what people used to say about Nick Heidfeld. I agree.

#7 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 14:56

The worst was the "cheese tyres" whine that, I believe, actually contributed to the 2013 season being utterly ruined. Pirelli even warned that Red Bull would run away with it if they changed the tyres. I refused to watch a single race after the change and didn't miss anything really.

The other one is "bring back refueling" by some people who believe in some false nostalgia that everything was better 10 years before any given point in time.

At least Red Bull ran away with it on tyres that weren't a dangerous artifice. I guess it depends on what fans want to see, closer competition by artifice or domination on a more sporting set of rules. Complaining about the mid season tyre change was at least as much of a "fantrum" as those complaining about the tyres in the beginning. Especially as Red Bull had won races on all the different compound and constructions of tyres that Pirelli had produced over the years. It wasn't as if the change was rigged to favour Red Bull, though I know the final sentence is not what you meant, Jim.

On another note, there's a few "fantrums" put forward already that are just differences of opinion e.g. qualifying rules/refuelling. I'd class a "fantrum" as complaining about a situation only when a favourite team or driver is affected. E.g. Schumacher/Ferrari domination, didn't see as much of a backlash as subsequent dominant seasons. But that's because Ferrari is the most popular team.

Or pitifully absurd complaints such as "waaa, Glock pulled over for Hamilton to win the championship, waaa" :drunk:

Edited by hittheapex, 12 August 2015 - 15:51.

#8 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:10

Alonso fans crying sabotage after the Spygate and Hungary affair, don't they forget Hamilton was beating him before all that?

#9 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:31

This thread has no chance of ending in disaster. :rolleyes:

But to contribute

"Hamilton/Alonso/Vettel/Schumacher/Senna/etc. is the greatest driver to ever grace his presence of the face of the planet"

"Reverse grids because there isn't enough overtaking"

"There isn't enough overtaking"

"Why is F1 trying to be green"

"Spa 2008"

"These turbo engines are ruining F1"

"Let's go back to the glory days"

I should stop...

#10 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:35

But to contribute

"Hamilton/Alonso/Vettel/Schumacher/Senna/etc. is the greatest driver to ever grace his presence of the face of the planet"

The issue with those debates is that people sometimes go to rabid lengths.

I.E

- Downplaying all the positives of the driver they dislike, and playing up the strengths of the driver they like. 

- Proclaiming themselves as being wholly objective

- Dismissing alternative opinions as "revisionist history" or replying with strawman arguments. 

#11 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:38

This thread has no chance of ending in disaster. :rolleyes:

But to contribute
"Reverse grids because there isn't enough overtaking"
"There isn't enough overtaking"
"Why is F1 trying to be green"
"Spa 2008"
"These turbo engines are ruining F1"
"Let's go back to the glory days"

I should stop...

It's a fairly good question though, why the hell is F1 trying to be green?

#12 CPR

CPR

• 5,822 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:42

The engine manufacturers in particular care about it and some of the teams.

#13 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:44

The issue with those debates is that people sometimes go to rabid lengths.

I.E

- Downplaying all the positives of the driver they dislike, and playing up the strengths of the driver they like. 

- Proclaiming themselves as being wholly objective

- Dismissing alternative opinions as "revisionist history" or replying with strawman arguments. 

I agree. It always comes down to one fandom yelling at another fandom arguing over something that can't actually be determined.

:drunk: I don't want to go here and derail the thread. But simply put I think it was branded/marketed wrong as there is nothing green about what they are doing.

#14 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:46

There just isn't enough moaning on here, so let's moan about all the moaning.  :D

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:51

Nothing to add, but congratulations on coining the word 'Fantrums', which I hope will gain widespread use.  It fits the Verstappen fans perfectly!

#16 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:57

The endlessly repeated complaints about how expensive F1 races are and how crowded they are, particularly Silverstone.

Usually goes something like this:

I wouldn't pay £150 for general admission and by charging this much they are keeping people away and the event is so busy you can't see anything anyway because of all the people there. It was better when you could pay 5p on the door and have the entire circuit to yourself and in those days you had 200,000 people show up because of the better pricing...

After which they pointedly and repeatedly state that it will never last and they won't be going to it. Repeat annually.

#17 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 16:05

At least Red Bull ran away with it on tyres that weren't a dangerous artifice. I guess it depends on what fans want to see, closer competition by artifice or domination on a more sporting set of rules. Complaining about the mid season tyre change was at least as much of a "fantrum" as those complaining about the tyres in the beginning. Especially as Red Bull had won races on all the different compound and constructions of tyres that Pirelli had produced over the years. It wasn't as if the change was rigged to favour Red Bull, though I know the final sentence is not what you meant, Jim.

On another note, there's a few "fantrums" put forward already that are just differences of opinion e.g. qualifying rules/refuelling. I'd class a "fantrum" as complaining about a situation only when a favourite team or driver is affected. E.g. Schumacher/Ferrari domination, didn't see as much of a backlash as subsequent dominant seasons. But that's because Ferrari is the most popular team.

Or pitifully absurd complaints such as "waaa, Glock pulled over for Hamilton to win the championship, waaa" :drunk:

You must not have been here during the first part of 2013. People were openly accusing Pirelli of rigging races and using Maldonado/Williams at Spain the previous year as an example. There were about 20 pages of the photoshop topic that were nothing but "cheese tyres" memes; it was the biggest non-driver "fantrum" I've seen in a while.

The tyres weren't a dangerous artifice so much as the teams were careless. And the results bare out the fact that the season would have been significantly closer without a drastic mid season rule change.

http://www.theguardi...tish-grand-prix

Edited by Jimisgod, 12 August 2015 - 16:10.

#18 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 16:11

The engine manufacturers in particular care about it and some of the teams.

Why should they? These new engines are more complex and way more expensive are they not?

#19 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 17:10

Why should they? These new engines are more complex and way more expensive are they not?

The manufactors are tending to downsize their engines and to change from the combustion engine (because oil could become an issue in the near future) to hybrid engines and in the final step to electric engines (if possible). Thats the reason why the racing series are green now. The manufactors are using the racing series to gain informations for their developments for the road cars and they are using it to promote their road cars.

Advertisement

#20 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,994 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 17:15

For me its : "Lets change the qualifying format"

This.

People wanting to change it for the sake of changing it without stopping and thinking about what a good system this one is. Its a trade-off of the positives about all the other formats whilst negating all the negatives. This format negates the unfairness of having different conditions in single lap qualifying by giving everyone the same opportunity. It ensures cars are constantly out on track most of the time and also it gives people, who don't want to sit through an entire hour of boredom just in case the pole lap is set early in the session, an assurance that only the final 12 minutes matter.

But then people come to me saying its bad because of Parc Ferme which has nothing to do with the qualifying format.

#21 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 17:23

The manufactors are tending to downsize their engines and to change from the combustion engine (because oil could become an issue in the near future) to hybrid engines and in the final step to electric engines (if possible). Thats the reason why the racing series are green now. The manufactors are using the racing series to gain informations for their developments for the road cars and they are using it to promote their road cars.

And I can bet every pound I have if Renault were given the opportunity to go back to the V8's they'd say yes quicker than the speed of light...

#22 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 17:29

Moaning that the engine noise is awful and that is all that matters about f1! So tedious.

#23 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 17:30

And I can bet every pound I have if Renault were given the opportunity to go back to the V8's they'd say yes quicker than the speed of light...

Funny thing is that Renault was the only team who wanted these engines. Merc wanted V4 engines and Ferrari wanted to stay with V8. Just Renault wanted the V6...

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,261 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 17:40

1) Posters that have no sense of humour or the ridiculous. 2) Kimi threads. 3) Paddock club toss pots. 4) venue security guards.

#25 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 17:40

What are the frequent tantrums thrown up by fans that you find annoying?

All of them. This place was drowning in them for a while.

#26 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 18:11

1) Posters that have no sense of humour or the ridiculous.2) Kimi threads. 3) Paddock club toss pots. 4) venue security guards.

I'd add a secret number 13 to that list accessed only by an elaborate up down left right activation method which would single out those intolerant to fish based puns. Oh and a Number 14 which are those who take some of Bernie's suggestions at face value.

#27 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 18:16

This has never ever happened. The car manufacturers all have multi billion dollar research and development facilities, they don't use the extreme ends of motor racing to test their ideas because that data would be useless for your average road car.

#28 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 18:20

This has never ever happened. The car manufacturers all have multi billion dollar research and development facilities, they don't use the extreme ends of motor racing to test their ideas because that data would be useless for your average road car.

Thats actually a difficult point. The technology F1 is using is a big compromise actually. The technology is pretty useless for road cars I think. But in the WEC it is for sure the case.

#29 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 18:21

Do we have a specific thread were we can moan about all the moaning going on ? ****, this forum is eating it's own tail. 

#30 totgate

totgate

• 199 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 18:31

Formula 1 is great now. It's only people living in the past that doesn't realize that it's never been better or sounded better.

Formula 1 is a sport!!! 

Edit: Just to clarify: These are the statements i hate!!!!  ;-)

Edited by totgate, 12 August 2015 - 18:34.

#31 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 18:44

Anyone defending DRS and/or rules that add to 'The Show'.

#32 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 18:57

But shouldn't a driver who is quicker have the chance to make a pass in an era where following a car is nigh on impossible? Don't forget the overtaken driver can use DRS the very next lap.

#33 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 645 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 18:57

So fantrums are just ideas or opinions we disagree with basically then.

#34 ANF

ANF

• 29,536 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 19:17

I remember rating the Japenese GP 10/10, so you must have missed something. :)

#35 CurbPainter

CurbPainter

• 1,089 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 19:19

Not being able to be enthusiastic about something, because you have take into account there are people who have problems being it themselves, and they hate it when others still can be enthusiastic about things.

#36 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 19:27

Citing two great races in any given year and calling it the golden age of F1 we must strive to go back to.

There aren't many years that don't have two great races. Having two great races is not an exceptional year, it's the norm. Hungaroring, Silverstone. And with the controversy of Monaco and the surprise Ferrari resurgence in Malaysia, why don't all F1 years try to be like 2015?? etc etc.

#37 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 19:35

When Senna cheated it was justified, when Schmacher did it we should bring back hanging....

#38 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 19:42

When Senna cheated it was justified, when Schmacher did it we should bring back hanging....

Indeed.

But some on this board have made similar statements with the names reversed.

#39 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 19:46

From the guy mentioning people moaning about ticket prices...

You are signing your own extortion racket fella. Why would anyone drop the price if tens of thousands of people happily hand it over, same as paywall tv.  If you are happy to pay these extortionate amounts to watch F1 fine, but many hundreds of thousands of people are not I am afraid. Sadly people who will just hand over however much every year are pushing the prices up and up. And also forcing Silverstone to overprice other events to pay off this hosting fee every year, hence the Classic, MotoGP prices etc. It is supply and demand obviously. But in all honesty if you think that much, for that level of entertainment is value, then you clearly have more money than sense. Which is where we began!

Advertisement

#40 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 20:03

1: The invention of the 'word' "fantrums". You can't make one word by sticking one and a half together!

2: The V6 engines are/sound rubbish and are ruining F1.

3: DRS is artificial and ruining F1.

#41 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 20:17

Anyone who says that there is no real racing because of DRS.

#42 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 20:28

#43 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 20:43

"When [Nico] was with [Ferrari-engined] Sauber we had access to all his data, and somehow we were never totally convinced," one Ferrari insider told this writer. "Ask yourself why we didn't sign his when we had the chance before bringing Kimi back."

http://plus.autospor...1436.1409600381

#44 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 20:53

"When [Nico] was with [Ferrari-engined] Sauber we had access to all his data, and somehow we were never totally convinced," one Ferrari insider told this writer. "Ask yourself why we didn't sign his when we had the chance before bringing Kimi back."

http://plus.autospor...1436.1409600381

I think they need to update their data then because it clearly isn't working....

#45 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 20:57

Driver X only wins because of the car, nothing to do with talent.

#46 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 21:18

Schumacher never had any competition.

#47 DS27

DS27

• 4,688 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 21:21

Funny that. For me it's people saying that if Hulkenberg was good enough he would already have been given the oppurtunity.

Yeah, because life is fair like that.

#48 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 21:22

From the guy mentioning people moaning about ticket prices...

You are signing your own extortion racket fella. Why would anyone drop the price if tens of thousands of people happily hand it over, same as paywall tv.  If you are happy to pay these extortionate amounts to watch F1 fine, but many hundreds of thousands of people are not I am afraid. Sadly people who will just hand over however much every year are pushing the prices up and up. And also forcing Silverstone to overprice other events to pay off this hosting fee every year, hence the Classic, MotoGP prices etc. It is supply and demand obviously. But in all honesty if you think that much, for that level of entertainment is value, then you clearly have more money than sense. Which is where we began!

Well I don't go to Silverstone for the F1, too expensive and I prefer drag and stock car racing anyway.

My point was that people are contradictory, they want cheaper tickets to bring more people in, but then get annoyed that they are paying so much not to get to see anything because it is so busy. They want cheap prices and no-one else to be there.

Unfortunately given the situation F1 is in at the moment, boycotting the race won't bring down ticket prices, it would just see it cut from the calendar and replaced with another empty grandstand race on a freshly build Tilke circuit in a country with questionable human rights records...

#49 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 21:30

Verstappen fans who moan that anyone who isn't 100% behind their favourite driver just ...

'isn't getting it ;)'

... in 3 decades I can't recall a driver who sported fans more irritating than those of Verstappen Jnr. It's irrational, but it just puts me off him, almost guilt by association.

Edited by superden, 12 August 2015 - 21:32.

#50 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 21:31

Anyone who says that there is no real racing because of DRS.

I agree.