Photo
- - - - -

Wolff in two minds over Red Bull engine supply.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:53

Mercedes Benz boss Toto Wolff has spoken this week in an interview about his conflict regarding the idea of supplying engines to Red Bull and his thoughts as mentor to Valtteri Bottas on whether the Finn will move to Ferrari.
The 43 year old Austrian, at the helm of the team for almost two and a half years, has been approached by Red Bull on several occasions as they look to find a competitive solution to their engine supply problems. Their very public fall out with Renault and the expectation that Renault will have its own works team soon, possibly through the acquisition of Lotus, means that Red Bull are getting desperate to find an engine with which they can compete.
Toto Wolff

“If I wear my Mercedes Benz motorsport boss’ hat and think about what is in the best interests of F1, then I have to say it’s (a Red Bull engine supply) an interesting option because it it would link us to a brand that has huge appeal among the young and it’s a winning brand,” Wolff told Gazzetta dello Sport.
“However, speaking as the boss of a rival F1 team, I have to say that it’s not ideal to strengthen one of your main competitors

Advertisement

#2 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:57

Not exactly a scoop...

#3 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:58

They must be mad if they agree to the idea.

#4 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 13:06

Enlightening stuff as ever from the big Austrian.

#5 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 13:12

Indeed.Be only a matter of time before accusations of recieving below par engines should Mercedes tonk them on a regular basis.

#6 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 13:16

These engines are so complex that the works teams will always have a massive advantage which is in contrast to the V8 era. Red Bull would need a significant better chassis to beat Merc..

Edited by Marklar, 14 August 2015 - 13:18.

#7 Wally123

Wally123

• 272 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 13:17

Indeed.Be only a matter of time before accusations of recieving below par engines should Mercedes tonk them on a regular basis.

I wonder if we'd here people crying about about aero equalisation if Redbull were wiping the floor with everyone again, Horner wouldn't be saying much that's for sure....

#8 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 14:10

You often hear "we win together, we lose together" at Mercedes, not "we win together, waaah, **** you, we're leaving, we hate you" which is more the standard line at Redbull.

I'm sure that has significant bearing upon Wolff's reluctance to supply Redbull, too. Horner &co's constant complaining about Renault and the current engine format in general over the last 18 months may well come back to bite him.

Edited by Counterbalance, 14 August 2015 - 14:13.

#9 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 14:13

This is already being discussed in the Renault vs Red Bull thread:

http://forums.autosp...l-merged/page-7