Photo

New reply "black dot" no longer there?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 22:00

The black dot on the left of the forum indication new replies is no longer there. Nothing done or added to PC in the last month.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:00

You might simply have accidentally clicked on 'Mark Community Read' at the bottom of an index page. In which case you're probably now seeing them again.

If not, check your setting for 'Mark threads in which I have posted' under General Settings in your profile.

If neither of those solves it, log out, clear all Autosport cookies and log in again.

#3 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:06

Did all and still no new messages dot visible. Only board of (6) having a problem and it just started a few days ago.  Using Firefox, but it does the same in IE.

#4 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 21:51

Any other suggestions?

#5 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:17

Nothing's changed with this in the past few weeks, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's gone wrong here. Usually the only reason why the black blobs (separately from the black stars which show that you've posted in a thread) vanish is if you've logged out, but if you're posting then that that obviously isn't the problem.

Which browser are you using? Could you try logging in with a different browser to see if this problem still persists?

#6 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:15

Perhaps this is the place/time to comment on the inconsistent use of blobs in the left margin.

As referred to above we have a black (circular) dot next to a thread, which shows that new posts have been made in the thread since ones last visit and clicking on that dot takes you to the new posts (more or less if there are pictures).

For threads one has posted in the circular dot becomes a star, and again clicking on that takes you to the new posts.

There is also an amorphous splodge containing opening/closing quotation marks which appears next to Forum/Sub-Forum showing that new posts have been made in the Forum/Sub-Forum. However clicking on that splodge does not take one to the new posts - it marks them all as "read" which seems an unlikely thing for anyone to need, cf. going to a new post.

Since the blob-in-the-margin system came with the last major revision some two years ago, it's a bit late for me to expect the logic to be changed, but if no-one says anything TPTB assume all is well!

#7 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 23:02

Nothing's changed with this in the past few weeks, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's gone wrong here. Usually the only reason why the black blobs (separately from the black stars which show that you've posted in a thread) vanish is if you've logged out, but if you're posting then that that obviously isn't the problem.

Which browser are you using? Could you try logging in with a different browser to see if this problem still persists?

No with Firefox and IE, yes with SeaMonkey.

#8 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,479 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 14:49

I'm on XP

FireFox Version 40 works fine

Chrome Version 44 does not

IE Version 8 does not

#9 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 19:08

Fixed! Turning off AdBlock Plus fixed the problem.

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:56

Fixed! Turning off AdBlock Plus fixed the problem.

In which case you might want to look at your ABP custom filters for anything with Autosport in the name. You may have inadvertently created a rule which blocks it.