* * * * - 12 votes

Nico Rosberg v. Lewis Hamilton 2015, 3rd Edition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4030 replies to this topic

#1 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:12

Here we should continue to discuss who has the look in his eye, who wants it more, what the keys to the race are, and most importantly who has the EDGE.

Be nice to one another.

Advertisement

#2 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:14

Just to keep it going....

Lewis Hamilton at Mclaren vs Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes

110 Races - 49 Races

21 Wins - 18 Wins

49 Podiums - 31 Podiums

26 Poles - 22 Poles

12 Fastest laps - 12 Fastest Laps

913 Points - 800 Points

2 Hattricks - 6 Hattricks

0 Grand Slams - 1 Grand Slam

1 WDC - 1 WDC

0 WCC - 1 WCC

He could beat nearly every stat from his McLaren-years by the end of this season. In half the races.   :up:

Edited by GoldenColt, 25 August 2015 - 07:51.

#3 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:19

Those are stats I can understand.

#4 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:23

SR388, you couldn't wait for the magic 80 before the other thread closed :p

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:31

Wasnt this thread last year by the same time somewhere around the 7th edition? I guess we need some controversy.....

#6 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:34

Wasnt this thread last year by the same time somewhere around the 7th edition? I guess we need some controversy.....

Yeah. This year simply pointing at the scoreboard ends most discussions.

#7 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 13:05

Love this quote of Michael Schmidt (AMuS) today in his driver rating article

Perhaps Rosberg didnt relaxed enough during the summer break and swotted too much F1. Hamilton just made party. Quite obviously this was the better preperation...

Interesting article of James Allen today (inclusive the mention that everyone expected that the manual starts will suit Rosberg more)

“I just need to understand how I can improve qualifying a little bit now. [I’m] chasing my tail a little bit.”

After he was informed of his teammate’s remarks, Hamilton reckoned that Rosberg should focus on setting-up his car to suit his strengths, rather than going back to options from last season.

Hamilton said: “I think he shouldn’t chase his tail, I think he’s been driving really well. I get the car where I need it to be, and I think for him for sure that’s going to be hard.

“It’s never good to be behind your teammate by that amount, but still regardless, he’s still close in the championship. It’s not the be-all and end-all, but it’s definitely good for me.”

If he is to have any chance of defeating Hamilton for the 2015 world title, Rosberg needs to rediscover his qualifying form and avoid any more slip-ups in the remaining races

http://www.jamesalle...la-1-dominance/

Edited by Marklar, 24 August 2015 - 13:18.

#8 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 13:12

Vettel's S2 time was slower than that of Sainz who was running with a skinny rear wing.

The difference in top speed between Hamilton and Sainz was 3kph (Hamilton faster).

The difference in top speed between Sainz and Ricciardo was 3.9kph (Sainz faster and had what appeared to be a slightly skinnier rear wing).

The difference in S2 time between Hamilton and Ricciardo was 0.5 seconds

The difference in S2 time between Ricciardo and Sainz was 0.5 seconds.

#9 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 13:21

:lol: I assume he was being light hearted but he raises a very good point.  I have no idea what Nico did during the summer break or exactly how he works to optimise his F1 performance, but one needs the correct balance.  Lewis mentioned during the Spa weekend that he actually spent a lot of time during the summer break working on his fitness and is now lighter than he has been all season.

The Williams sisters were criticised for having a life outside tennis, but they are still around contending tournaments and Grand Slams, whereas many of their peers and younger counterparts have fallen at the wayside burnt out, over-stressed, suffering from personal issues etc.  It is all about balance and what is balanced for me isn't necessarily balanced for you.

Edited by OO7, 24 August 2015 - 13:27.

#10 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 13:26

Interesting article of James Allen today (inclusive the mention that everyone expected that the manual starts will suit Rosberg more)

This whole new formula was supposed to suit Nico.  Remember that Usual Suspects quote from Will Buxton, well I guess it is still relevant.  In any event we have only experienced one race with the new start procedure, so it's still early days.

#11 jcpower13

jcpower13

• 891 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 13:32

:lol: I assume he was being light hearted but he raises a very good point.  I have no idea what Nico did during the summer break or exactly how he works to optimise his F1 performance, but one needs the correct balance.  Lewis mentioned during the Spa weekend that he actually spent a lot of time during the summer break working on his fitness and is now lighter than he has been all season.

The Williams sisters were criticised for having a life outside tennis, but they are still around contending tournaments and Grand Slams, whereas many of their peers and younger counterparts have fallen at the wayside burnt out, over-stressed, suffering from personal issues etc.  It is all about balance and what is balanced for me isn't necessarily balanced for you.

Lewis has learned the wisdom of some good R+R to counter-balance going at work full-pelt. It's much the same in almost everything, you get better results if you throw in times of relaxation among all the hard work. Nico needs to learn this or he'll burn himself out without seeing the results he expects for all that work on the track, though with him about to become a father I'm not sure he'd get much respite when he goes home - sleepless nights in the Rosberg household. 

#12 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 14:17

Here we should continue to discuss who has the look in his eye, who wants it more, what the keys to the race are, and most importantly who has the EDGE.

Be nice to one another.

You could have just said who has the 'eye of the tiger'.

#13 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 14:20

Vettel's S2 time was slower than that of Sainz who was running with a skinny rear wing.

The difference in top speed between Hamilton and Sainz was 3kph (Hamilton faster).

The difference in top speed between Sainz and Ricciardo was 3.9kph (Sainz faster and had what appeared to be a slightly skinnier rear wing).

The difference in S2 time between Hamilton and Ricciardo was 0.5 seconds

The difference in S2 time between Ricciardo and Sainz was 0.5 seconds.

As Rob Smedley said after qualifying, its hard to judge the gap to Mercedes because you don't know whether or not it was a bit of 'Hamilton magic'. I was quite surprised hearing that from him.

#14 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 14:21

I think a sample of 1 event is never sufficient evidence for anything. Maybe Nico just made a mistake now but it doesn't yet mean he has a problem with the new starts.

Lewis didn't get away that quickly either, but it was enough to keep him in the lead here at Spa. Perez and Ricciardo seemed to get away much better. It will be interesting to see what happens in Monza or Russia, where the run to the first corner is significant. 

#15 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 14:26

I think a sample of 1 event is never sufficient evidence for anything. Maybe Nico just made a mistake now but it doesn't yet mean he has a problem with the new starts.

Lewis didn't get away that quickly either, but it was enough to keep him in the lead here at Spa. Perez and Ricciardo seemed to get away much better. It will be interesting to see what happens in Monza or Russia, where the run to the first corner is significant. 

I agree, it could have been pot luck and could quite easily go the other way next time. That was the best start from Ricciardo for quite a while, he's normally very poor, even against Vettel last year.

#16 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 14:28

I was just about to mention this. A start like this in Monza wouldn't be enough to keep P1 after turn 1.

#17 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 14:32

I agree, it could have been pot luck and could quite easily go the other way next time. That was the best start from Ricciardo for quite a while, he's normally very poor, even against Vettel last year.

Indeed. I got the suspiciouns that RIC adopted Webbers great starts

#18 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,122 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 15:11

Regarding the starts, I have a theory that Mercedes suffered from clutch overheating again due to the extra formation lap with Lewis perhaps coping better than Nico. If we compare Lewis's start yesterday and at Hungary it was very much the same, the "first phase" of the getaway was sluggish on both occasions (caused by the overheating clutch imo) with him really hooking up the "second phase" on both occasions, the only difference being the run town to T1 wasn't long enough to get jumped. 

#19 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 15:22

Regarding the starts, I have a theory that Mercedes suffered from clutch overheating again due to the extra formation lap with Lewis perhaps coping better than Nico. If we compare Lewis's start yesterday and at Hungary it was very much the same, the "first phase" of the getaway was sluggish on both occasions (caused by the overheating clutch imo) with him really hooking up the "second phase" on both occasions, the only difference being the run town to T1 wasn't long enough to get jumped. 

Lewis said that he'd gone through the clutch overheating issue due to aborted starts during the break - and with his engineers, came up with a contingency plan.

Advertisement

#20 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 15:28

As Rob Smedley said after qualifying, its hard to judge the gap to Mercedes because you don't know whether or not it was a bit of 'Hamilton magic'. I was quite surprised hearing that from him.

I remember that  :).  He said something similar during the 2008 Chinese GP weekend.

#21 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 15:31

Lewis said that he'd gone through the clutch overheating issue due to aborted starts during the break - and with his engineers, came up with a contingency plan.

Someone needs to create a Photoshop of Lewis with a cigar in his mouth (Barbados), with the words 'I love it when a contingency plan comes together.'

#22 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 15:48

Someone needs to create a Photoshop of Lewis with a cigar in his mouth (Barbados), with the words 'I love it when a contingency plan comes together.'

:lol:  :up:

#23 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 16:05

Do it yourself Obi. There will be no slacking on my watch  ):

Yeah. This year simply pointing at the scoreboard ends most discussions.

Yeah, during this time last year, things were much more open ended in terms of performance. After Spa last year, Nico actually had a bigger points lead than Lewis enjoys this year (29 vs 28) However, Nico's advantage last year was heavily influenced by favourable reliability/luck. In contrast, Lewis's advantage this year is mainly as a result of winning on merit. 

We can argue about the size of the gap this year, and whether it truly reflects the performance gap between the two drivers, but I don't see how it can be argued that the better man is not the WDC leader. 

It's not quite domination, but Lewis is doing enough to not make it close. 

#24 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 16:11

What an idiot Ham is. Doesn't he know that he has to make everyone think he's stupid? Keep it to yourself! :p

PS: I was watching his BBC interview yesterday and he told the presenters the exact points delta he had to Nico at Spa last year without batting an eyelid. He also remembers vividly a lot of key moments during the race. He's a highly intelligent man and I don't think he gets enough credit.

#25 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 16:25

I wouldn't mind it if Lewis got a nice run of wins and sealed the title before Abu Dhabi. But it's not like the title remains a formality, Rosberg is always there and about.

I don't think either of them has to worry with Vettel after yesterday.

As long as Lewis doesn't have hose terrible brainfades, things should remain as they are.

#26 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 16:26

Took a little liberty with the text. Shall be edited if you so desire.  :smoking:

M3qvOAu.jpg

#27 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,307 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 16:27

I was just about to mention this. A start like this in Monza wouldn't be enough to keep P1 after turn 1.

As long as he's ahead of Nico then it doesn't matter. Its now a 2 horse race and even if he doesn't win, he just needs to beat Nico.

#28 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 16:27

Indeed.

It looked to me Lewis' start seemed as average as usual. Perez would have taken the lead if they were at Hungaroring again.

#29 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 16:36

I wouldn't mind it if Lewis got a nice run of wins and sealed the title before Abu Dhabi. But it's not like the title remains a formality, Rosberg is always there and about.

I don't think either of them has to worry with Vettel after yesterday.

As long as Lewis doesn't have hose terrible brainfades, things should remain as they are.

I think Lewis and his fans deserve or would at least really enjoy having a title cinched up early. I was a mess watching Abu Dhabi last year.

#30 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 16:52

Indeed.
It looked to me Lewis' start seemed as average as usual. Perez would have taken the lead if they were at Hungaroring again.

Considering the gap he had to everyone else except Perez after La Source: No, it was not average. It was his best start since Bahrain. Perez start was just by a margin the best (together with Alonsos) followed by DR and Hamilton.

#31 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 17:23

Considering the gap he had to everyone else except Perez after La Source: No, it was not average. It was his best start since Bahrain. Perez start was just by a margin the best (together with Alonsos) followed by DR and Hamilton.

It's a shame there was no overhead of the start.

#32 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 17:27

Yeah, it seemed okay to me.

#33 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 17:47

Another great Spa Pole Position!  Look at the tight line he holds around Rivage.

#34 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 19:21

Took a little liberty with the text. Shall be edited if you so desire.  :smoking:

M3qvOAu.jpg

Dossier!  :lol:

#35 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,317 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 19:23

What an idiot Ham is. Doesn't he know that he has to make everyone think he's stupid? Keep it to yourself! :p

PS: I was watching his BBC interview yesterday and he told the presenters the exact points delta he had to Nico at Spa last year without batting an eyelid. He also remembers vividly a lot of key moments during the race. He's a highly intelligent man and I don't think he gets enough credit.

I'm always reminded of Baudelaire's quote, "the finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist", so superbly adapted by Spacey in The Usual Suspects.

#36 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 22:03

Another great Spa Pole Position!  Look at the tight line he holds around Rivage.

Ahem, I need a tissue :blush:

The more I forget about the sound of the V8, the more of a surprise I get when I hear it, just ear meltingly good. :up:

#37 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 22:18

I hate the V8 and really can't stand them now, they sound like an annoying mosquito. The acceleration is pathetic as well. If it's N/A its 10 cylinders or bust.

The Merc V6 sounds really good now and has a smoooooth and even tone. The aero noise adds to the impression of speed as well

Edited by CountDooku, 24 August 2015 - 22:20.

#38 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 23:26

I hate the V8 and really can't stand them now, they sound like an annoying mosquito. The acceleration is pathetic as well. If it's N/A its 10 cylinders or bust.

The Merc V6 sounds really good now and has a smoooooth and even tone. The aero noise adds to the impression of speed as well

Sounds like you have never heard a V8 in person.  The new formula sounds like a sewing machine compared to the V8 which 

sounds like a wild angry animal.

#39 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 10,709 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 23:30

The V8's tone is nothing special. I like the actual deeper rasp of the V6 far more. But there isn't enough of it so the WOW factor has gone. Just needs a few decibels more.

Edited by J0rd4n, 24 August 2015 - 23:31.

Advertisement

#40 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 00:05

Sounds like you have never heard a V8 in person.  The new formula sounds like a sewing machine compared to the V8 which 

sounds like a wild angry animal.

Have to agree with you about the sound, hearing the V10 for the first time in person was amazing. The V8's were still extremely loud but I was very underwhelmed by the sound of the new V6 Turbo, however I love the technology in these things and the speeds they are producing are putting the V8's to shame.

#41 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 00:10

The V8's were loud. But I was always more impressed by the stateside stuff that turned 9000rpm with 50% of the tech advancements.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=zRn5bPVSPgM

Both are fun, but the more power is really impressive to hear.

Edited by SR388, 25 August 2015 - 00:16.

#42 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:49

For me the V8 more sounded like an buzz saw, but maybe it was just my impression because I totally loved the V10 and was disappointed when they changed to V8. The V8s by the way are sounding different (and better) when you hear them in person. The V6 engines have for me the better sound than V8s, but are lacking of volume.

By the way - for returning back to the topic - I've just hear why Hamilton was that much faster than Rosberg through S2. He made for the qualifying an adjustment on his front wing (something you are allowed to change even before the race), he made it more steeply, that gave him an bigger advantage through S2.

Edited by Marklar, 25 August 2015 - 05:25.

#43 hollowstar

hollowstar

• 2,190 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:31

By the way - for returning back to the topic - I've just hear why Hamilton was that much faster than Rosberg through S2. He made for the qualifying an adjustment on his front wing (something you are allowed to change even before the race), he made it more steeply, that gave him an bigger advantage through S2.

If it was just a matter of wing, Nico would have done the same :-)  if he hasn't. 

#44 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:47

Just to keep it going....

Lewis Hamilton at Mclaren vs Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes

110 Races - 49 Races

21 Wins - 18 Wins

49 Podiums - 31 Podiums

26 Poles - 22 Poles

12 Fastest laps - 12 Fastest Laps

913 Points - 800 Points

2 Hattricks - 6 Hattricks

0 Grand Slams - 1 Grand Slam

1 WDC - 1 WDC

0 WCC - 1 WCC

He could beat nearly every stat from his McLaren-years by the end of this season. In half the races.   :up:

But Ron said that it was a mistake to leave McLaren...

#45 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 10,709 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:49

But Ron said that it was a mistake to leave McLaren...

The same Ron who said Honda would dominate this year? The man lies through his teeth.

#46 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,122 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:12

If it was just a matter of wing, Nico would have done the same :-)  if he hasn't. 

Agree, given how transparent the two sides of the garage are, a front wing adjustment wouldn't have gone unnoticed by Nico's side. It was just a couple of super special laps that Nico simply couldn't touch, possibly Lewis's best quali laps in the past couple of years. 

#47 PAGATRON

PAGATRON

• 958 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:18

Leave Ron alone you big meanies he's got enough problems of his own

#48 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:34

So, Mercedes have taken all 11 Poles Positions this year, with Lewis securing 10 and Nico 1.  With only 8 races remaining Nico can no longer challenge for this team-mate battle and will have to relinquish his position as the qualification champion.

Lewis Hamilton, the 2015 DQK!!!  That ones for you Kingshark, wherever you may be.  ;)

#49 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 13:09

So, Mercedes have taken all 11 Poles Positions this year, with Lewis securing 10 and Nico 1.  With only 8 races remaining Nico can no longer challenge for this team-mate battle and will have to relinquish his position as the qualification champion.

Lewis Hamilton, the 2015 DQK!!!  That ones for you Kingshark, wherever you may be.  ;)

I heard the ceremony is at a gentlemans club in Croydon.

#50 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 13:11

I heard the ceremony is at a gentlemans club in Croydon.

I also heard they'll be a carnival like float, with lots of loud music and dancing.