Photo

Eric Thompson RIP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 13:20

This may be ignored in light of Justin Wilson and Guy Ligier's deaths but Eric Thompson has also died according to the BRDC.
Thompson was an utterly delightful fellow who I had the pleasure of communicating with about 10 years ago. Very unassuming and self-deprecating but he was a damn good driver who could've done much better if he didn't have restrictions from Lloyds.

He was a true enthusiast with a great passion for the sport and I send my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

What a sad sad weekend for the sport.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 14:06

He only did a handful of single-seater races, but put up some impressive performances, including a couple of wins against top quality British opposition. In his only championship Grand Prix he qualified 9th out of 32, ahead of many well-known names, and finished fifth. As Richard says, what might he have achieved if only he'd been able to devote more time to motor racing. RIP.

#3 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 15:42

A very friendly, polite and likeable man who I met at Silverstone in 1980 where I asked him to sign my Nixon/Wyer Aston Martin books, my condolences to family and friends.

#4 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 16:11

This may be ignored in light of Justin Wilson and Guy Ligier's deaths but Eric Thompson has also died according to the BRDC.
Thompson was an utterly delightful fellow who I had the pleasure of communicating with about 10 years ago. Very unassuming and self-deprecating but he was a damn good driver who could've done much better if he didn't have restrictions from Lloyds.

He was a true enthusiast with a great passion for the sport and I send my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

What a sad sad weekend for the sport.

More sad news. I saw Eric takethat fine 5th place in the 1952 British Grand Prix after an excellent drive. Many years later he wrote about having taken the saturday away from his office after being invited to by Ken McAlpine to drive a Connaught at Silverstone. When asked how he had spent his weekend after returning to work on the monday, he told colleagues that he done some motoring on the saturday!. A very nice and modest man and an excellent racing driver. What different times we live in.

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 16:18

9VEDFd.jpg[/IMG]

Eric Thompson pictured at the 2010 British GP, Silverstone.

#6 Nick Wa

Nick Wa

• 186 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 16:30

Eric Thompson won the first proper racing car race I ever saw (Snetterton Apr '53). Thanks for the memory.

#7 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 16:53

We have just lost an absolute gentleman.

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 18:21

Indeed - a perfect gentleman. Sincere condolences to his family and many friends...

DCN

#9 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 20:31

Nice tribute in the Telegraph - http://www.telegraph...r-obituary.html