Photo

Dan Gurney's autobiography

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 13:24

I read an interview with him in Motorsport back in 2008 which said he was working on his autobiography.  As it's now 2015 wondered if anyone knew if it's been put on hiatus or scrapped altogether?  Would be a fascinating read.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 14:18

Here's a fairly recent update, from the books thread:

From Robin Miller's mailbag feature today at racer.com, for those keeping up with the status of Dan Gurney's autobiography:

Q: Loved your video with Dan Gurney and his 1967 Eagle. Do you have any update on the status of his autobiography?
Rick Johnson, Lynnwood, WA

RM: I asked Evi Gurney and she’s got all the text finished so now it sounds like a matter of deciding how many books. Gurney the racer and Gurney the car builder are both great stories so I’m hoping we get one of them by 2016.

#3 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 23:27

Looking forward to this; having the Ludvigsen Gurney's Eagles and Harry Weslake books on my shelves.

#4 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 13:06

You should also get John Zimmermann's "Dan Gurney's Eagle Racing Cars". It is a model by model rundown of every Eagle. Very complete, and I have used it to settle more than one argument. For one thing, it gives the model designation for each type, an area in which there has always been much confusion.  E.G.: there is no such thing as a "Gurney Eagle" nor a "T1G".

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 26 August 2015 - 13:08.

#5 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 15:03

An update from Robin Miller's Mailbag for January 24, 2018:

Q: I read a 2009 article titled "Lunch with Dan" from the MotorSport Magazine website and in it the writer said that Dan was working on his autobiography. Do you know if he finished the book? I looked on Amazon and could not find it.

Robin Miller: Evi finished writing it a few months ago, and she and Dan had been sorting through the thousands of photos in what will likely be a two-volume collector's item. One book will be about his driving career, and the other will be about his life as a car owner, builder and free thinker. I think the hope is to have one book ready by next Christmas, and I was joking with The Big Eagle over New Year's that we needed something ASAP because I was going to buy 50 of them for Xmas presents.

#6 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 23:07

I'm afraid that Robin Miller's mailbag was rather too much for me to take in.

Is there a short answer to Dunc's 2015 question?

#7 red stick

red stick

• 14,105 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 18:13

I'm afraid that Robin Miller's mailbag was rather too much for me to take in.

Is there a short answer to Dunc's 2015 question?

From all appearances, it's "Ask Evi." 

#8 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:47

Wow, Red Stick, welcome back!