- - - - -

Whiting interview: Weekend protocol, role of Race Director and Race Control

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,594 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:55

I found this interview where Charlie describes with many details how race weekends are run from Race Directors point of view. I found it interesting reading even though it seems to me CW appears a bit arrogant with his answers.

http://www.gpupdate....f1-news/329569/

Advertisement

#2 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:53

"Are there certain drivers who are more outspoken than others?

There's always a small group that will say something. It varies, of course. Some drivers never say anything. You know if Kimi [Räikkönen] says something it's important, because he never says anything. But if he feels strongly enough about it, he will say something, so you need to listen to what he says, because he actually means it. Some drivers will say something because they feel that they have to. I like Kimi. He's a proper star."

I wonder who the loud mouth non-proper stars are.

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:15

"Are there certain drivers who are more outspoken than others?

There's always a small group that will say something. It varies, of course. Some drivers never say anything. You know if Kimi [Räikkönen] says something it's important, because he never says anything. But if he feels strongly enough about it, he will say something, so you need to listen to what he says, because he actually means it. Some drivers will say something because they feel that they have to. I like Kimi. He's a proper star."

I wonder who the loud mouth non-proper stars are.

When you believe media reports, complainments in media and complainments during wet SC periods, I would put my money on our three multiple world champions.....

Edited by Marklar, 30 August 2015 - 12:25.

#4 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:43

Charlie is in a fortunate position.  He gets to buddy buddy up with the drivers, gets to make decisions that impact the sport both technical and sporting and play a large role in the sport as a whole, and gets to have his ass covered by the powers that be if something goes wrong.  It wouldn't be surprising if he acts arrogant because he can pretty much do as he likes, as long as he doesn't ruffle the feathers above him in the pecking order.  Which obviously he doesn't otherwise he'd be long gone by now.  It sounds like a whinge but in the highly political environment of F1, he's probably one of the better ones but that's not saying much.  It's all relative.

Here's hoping he's not still doing the same job when he's 80.

It's rare in any sport for the "powers that be" to be there for years after year without turnover or change.  It's usual for the leadership/referees etc to have a constant turnover every 5 or 10 years.  I believe this is also why most countries prevent their prime minister/president from staying in power for any long period of time.  One to three terms etc.

But then again, F1 isn't like most sports.

#5 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 15:13

Charlie is in a fortunate position.  He gets to buddy buddy up with the drivers, gets to make decisions that impact the sport both technical and sporting and play a large role in the sport as a whole, and gets to have his ass covered by the powers that be if something goes wrong.  It wouldn't be surprising if he acts arrogant because he can pretty much do as he likes, as long as he doesn't ruffle the feathers above him in the pecking order.  Which obviously he doesn't otherwise he'd be long gone by now.  It sounds like a whinge but in the highly political environment of F1, he's probably one of the better ones but that's not saying much.  It's all relative.

Here's hoping he's not still doing the same job when he's 80.

It's rare in any sport for the "powers that be" to be there for years after year without turnover or change.  It's usual for the leadership/referees etc to have a constant turnover every 5 or 10 years.  I believe this is also why most countries prevent their prime minister/president from staying in power for any long period of time.  One to three terms etc.

But then again, F1 isn't like most sports.

It would be a bit rich if Bernie were to tell Whiting "you've had things your own way for far too long; it's not healthy to have the same person in charge for decades on end...."

#6 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 17:35

Whiting was glad ragging with Yamaha this weekend at teh MotoGP event.

Picking up some tips maybe on how to make motorsport interesting?

Or just the free lunch no doubt

#7 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 17:42

Must have been shocking to him to see wet racing

#8 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 18:09

Must have been shocking to him to see wet racing

On the other side he certainly liked the aborted start   ;)

#9 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 18:12

I found it interesting reading even though it seems to me CW appears a bit arrogant with his answers.

I know it's fashionable around here to disparage Charlie, but what answers do you feel are arrogant as I can’t see it. :confused:

#10 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 20:35

I know it's fashionable around here to disparage Charlie, but what answers do you feel are arrogant as I can’t see it. :confused:

Neither can I.

#11 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 21:52

Well, when he says that he takes notice of what Kimi says, he seems to imply that there are other drivers he ignores.

Perhaps those are drivers who complain about inconsistent stewarding, or track limits going unpunished.

#12 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 23:09

Well, when he says that he takes notice of what Kimi says, he seems to imply that there are other drivers he ignores.

You may infer that, but what he says is

Some drivers never say anything. You know if Kimi [Räikkönen] says something it's important, because he never says anything.

and I don't think that there is any implication that he ignores others, merely that if a a well know taciturn WDC speaks up then it's worth paying attention to...

#13 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:04

I remember Perez saying a while back that Glock (when he was in F1) was always the one that spoke the most during the dirver meetings. I wonder who's that driver now

Pretty sure its not Alonso, Hamilton or Kimi

Maybe Jenson? or Seb?

#14 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:46

Both Jenson & Seb are directors of the GPDA so not only are they likely to be the ones referred to but their role demands them to be talkative. I get the feeling Hamilton keeps a low profile anywhere near Charlie or anybody who has influence with stewards.

#15 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:54

Both Jenson & Seb are directors of the GPDA so not only are they likely to be the ones referred to but their role demands them to be talkative. I get the feeling Hamilton keeps a low profile anywhere near Charlie or anybody who has influence with stewards.

From what I know is that Hamilton is recently very active in the driver meetings
- he complained apparentely together with Alonso some time ago about the inconsistency of the race stewards
- he demanded from Charlie some time ago to resolve the Alonso incident and to open the telemetrys of this incident
- he asked in Spa for a new tyre supplyer which Charlie found "unfair"

Of course it is just the media reports, and perhaps it is the only times he spoked, but I spotted that you read more often these things now. Judging from reports in the past I think that Massa and Vettel might talk a lot there. And Alonso and Button also.

#16 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:57

On the other side he certainly liked the aborted start   ;)

When I heard he was there, I immediatly suspected the RD was at the toilet en Charlie took over, instantly postponing the start.

#17 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:17

Judging from reports in the past I think that Massa and Vettel might talk a lot there. And Alonso and Button also.

Alonso talks very little or nothing at all in this meatings. Explainded by himself in the documentary they did of his last day at Ferrari.

#18 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:26

Alonso talks very little or nothing at all in this meatings. Explainded by himself in the documentary they did of his last day at Ferrari.

As I said already for Hamilton: its probably the case that he is not talking about every nonesence and overall not much, but - judging from the media reports - it appears that whenever their is a real point to discuss he seems to take an Important part (which is good by the way).

Edited by Marklar, 31 August 2015 - 09:27.

#19 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:30

Weird that he doesn't explain that the red lights don't just turn off when he presses a button (assuming I am right in thinking there is a randomly timed delay?).

Advertisement

#20 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:33

Not a huge fan of Whiting, not even sure if he really qualifies for the job. Compare him to Eduardo Freitas in the WEC; he is how a Race Director should operate.

#21 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,594 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:35

Neither can I.

Well maybe it is just me or how the reporter has written the story but two things had my attention:

1. The way he describes how the teams contact him gives an impression that he is selective who to answer and when rather than relying on that if a team contacts him, they have something important to say to the Race Control.

2. I get doubts how much he values and appreciates the driver meeting since first he comments that he is not sure if it is needed at all and then goes on explaining that some drivers talk there for just the sake of talking.

These two points gave me a bit arrogant impression of a person that is not very open to hear the opinions of other stakeholders. I may be wrong...

Edited by Jvr, 31 August 2015 - 09:41.

#22 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:00

1. The way he describes how the teams contact him gives an impression that he is selective who to answer and when rather than relying on that if a team contacts him, they have something important to say to the Race Control.

He only talks about muting teams in the context of situations when I'm sure you'd want his attention to be on the track, such as the safety car.

2. I get doubts how much he values and appreciates the driver meeting since first he comments that he is not sure if it is needed at all and then goes on explaining that some drivers talk there for just the sake of talking.

He says he's not sure of the value as he sends a comprehensive document to drivers in advance, and then discusses it with the team managers. He never says that some drivers talk for the sake of it, but that some drivers feel they have to say something.  He never says he dismisses their opinions, or doesn't listen to them or ....  I still don't get what is arrogant about any of this.

#23 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 14:46

Well maybe it is just me or how the reporter has written the story but two things had my attention:

These two points gave me a bit arrogant impression of a person that is not very open to hear the opinions of other stakeholders. I may be wrong...

They press a button – Race Control. Then I'll get in my ear, 'team calling', I'll look down and see who it is. Then you've got high-pressure situations, such as with the Safety Car, when you can see all the lights come on, and I've got a nice button called 'mute'. So I don't keep getting, 'team, team, team' in my ear!

Is that the bit you're talking about? I'm not seeing the problem with him prioritising the safety car or the medical car over the teams?? Surely those two are more important.

As for not seeing the value of the drivers briefing, even if I disagree with him (I do) then I can understand where he's coming from. Everything that was previously discussed in the briefing is now emailed around, so there's less need to formally gather the drivers together. Theoretically, Race Control is more accessible now than ever before, so why have a formal time set aside - he can reach the teams and drivers whenever, they can reach him at any time.

#24 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 15:45

It seems obvious to me that the problem with the drivers meetings is that it's harder for CW not to listen when several drivers are saying the same thing.

Naturally he would appreciate someone like Kimi who keeps quiet.