Photo

Clubman car with 1172 side valve engine.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 germanty

germanty

• 160 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 17:28

Can anyone identify this car please? It was taken in 1962 and I know it had a 1172cc side valve engine with an Aquaplane head and a repaired Lotus 7 nose cone after an earlier shunt. Do remember it was very quick but not its makers name.

2wecv3o.jpg

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 18:38

Are you sure it was 1962?  It looks like a yellow Vauxhall Viva on South Bank so it must be 1963 or later?

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 19:02

Ken, with the side panel and bonnet line etc it looks very Mallock mk2ish, ignoring the wrong nose cone, although the tapered door aperture and cover throw an element of doubt, perhaps. I thought it looked Ginetta G2 at first but not so, on checking.
Maybe TNF's Mistron will throw light on it as he had to check this sort of stuff with his own project identifying what he had bought.
Rog Lund

#4 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 19:32

As is often the case, the one offs are very hard to identify. I supose the easiest way would be to try to find programmes for 750MC events at Brnds in that period and use the race number. I'll have a look through those I have, but I think most of the ones I have are later.

Doesn't look quite like a Mallock though - too square in cross section through the chassis, and generally the sides of a U2 roll over into the upper surface at the dash top. The photo is taken from n angle tht hides a lot of the detail.

I'm just disapointed it doesn't match the mysterious frame still lying in my garage...... (when it's not on Ebay)

Al

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 21:44

Originally posted by BRG
Are you sure it was 1962?  It looks like a yellow Vauxhall Viva on South Bank so it must be 1963 or later?

There's an Imp there too, isn't there? And a Morris 1100?

#6 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,766 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:29

There's an Imp there too, isn't there? And a Morris 1100?

The Morris 1100 was available in 62

#7 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:04

Is the VW a 36 hp or 40 hp, very hard to see the rear window, maybe Greg could help.

#8 germanty

germanty

• 160 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:17

Gents thank you, & sorry BRG you were right it was 1967 (found the specs!). Heres a copy of a program around that time when I had the car.

I was just trying to assist a friend wanting a picture of a Mk2 U2 which I originally thought it was. How is the book going Roger & are 'the DRW lads' still with us?

2ntl4au.jpg

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:39

Clutching at straws: did the Clubman's cars keep their race number for the year?

#10 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:52

I have a couple of '66 Brands programmes and none for '67 I'm afraid. Looking at them it seems they didn't retain the same number for the year.

The car on the cover of the Aug '68 750MC Bulletin is very smilar (though the nose is different and the body is in bare alloy) but is described in the credit as Geoff Smith in the 750 Formula race, Silverstone, June 15th '68, so it would be Reliant engined, not 1172, so not the same car.

Al

#11 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:59

Link to results in this former thread: http://forums.autosp...from-1954-1972/

Al

#12 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 19:35

Alastair, do you have a sheet for 1959 please?
Roger

#13 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:30

Unfortunately not. These came as a photocopied bundle from Neil Carr-Jones of the 750MC and hve obviously miss-fed through the photocopier at some time, so there are the off bits missing.

I think they are copies of the annul records which were printed in Bulletin at the end of the season, so it may be that the club or one of the archives might have the relevant issues.

Cheers,

Al

#14 germanty

germanty

• 160 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:06

I have received some info from a programme collector.

On 15/4/68 in a clubmans race at Silverstone (No 21) it was shown as a U-2.

On 25/5/1968 again at Silverstone (No 101) it was shown as a U2 Mk1.

On 21/4/68 Yazaki championship race at Brands H (No 97) it was shown as a Ford U2.

On 25/2/68 Rochester Trophy race at Brands H (No 107) it was shown as a U2 Ford.

I dont remember anyone querying the make/model at the time!

#15 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:36

It's not impossible it's a Mallock, but also quite possible that someone else added the 'U2' name to their car.

Early mallock cockpit sides generally roll in to meet the top of the bonnet / scuttle, and I don't recall seeing any Mallocks with that arrangement of converging trailing linkscoming to that point of the cockpit side.

You mention in the first post that you are unsure of the maker - do you mean constructor (as in Mallock) or the builder (as in customer who bought / assembled it)?

Is it a car you own? There is a specific measurement to confirm if it's a Mallock chassis which is given in 'The lone furrow' Also, does / did it have an upper tube on the cockpit sides between the dash and the seat back tube to which the roll hoop mounts? 

Al

#16 germanty

germanty

• 160 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:47

It's not impossible it's a Mallock, but also quite possible that someone else added the 'U2' name to their car.

Early mallock cockpit sides generally roll in to meet the top of the bonnet / scuttle, and I don't recall seeing any Mallocks with that arrangement of converging trailing linkscoming to that point of the cockpit side.

You mention in the first post that you are unsure of the maker - do you mean constructor (as in Mallock) or the builder (as in customer who bought / assembled it)?

Is it a car you own? There is a specific measurement to confirm if it's a Mallock chassis which is given in 'The lone furrow' Also, does / did it have an upper tube on the cockpit sides between the dash and the seat back tube to which the roll hoop mounts? 

Al

Al, I used 'maker' to cover both constructor and/or builder neither of which I knew.

Sadly I dont own it any more  and cant remember the exact layout of the cockpit. I merely wanted to help a friend who saw a picture of mine and thought it was a U2 (he has an early model himself). Ken

Edited by germanty, 01 September 2015 - 12:48.