* - - - - 1 votes

BUT, ALO, RAI, WEB, MON in Indycar

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:06

They are all not far from retirement. I wish this happens one day. Would be so much better than the current F1. Cars are closer in performance, more real racing, less PR and pressure.  :clap:

Is there a possibility to see them together again?

Advertisement

#2 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:18

F1 rejects then! Why would anyone be excited watching them in anotherseries?

#3 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:23

Because not being in the top 0.001% of F1 doesnt make them bad drivers?

#4 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:30

Because there is much more equality between teams and it is more likely all of them will end up in a competitive machinery. That is not possible in F1.

Besides I feel sorry for this generation going away, it as a really good one imho. Want to see them going somewhere else together. I would try to achieve it if I was somebody responsible for the marketing side of Indy Car. 

Edited by beqa16v, 31 August 2015 - 06:32.

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:35

The chances are very high that we see 3 of them (Alonso, Webber, Button) in WEC together, maybe even Kimi, but all together in Indy Car? I doubt it.....

#6 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:26

Naaah, Nope. Don't care. It will be a sad day when they retire, especially Kimi, but they can't go on forever.

#7 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:40

Maybe this is what fans of these "close to retirement from F1" drivers want in order to see their heroes continuing in racing at least somewhere

But I really doubt if that is what Indy car needs to strengthen their fanbase in America again and make it the strong series it once was again.

The die hard Indycar fans don't care that much about the drivers named here, spoiled in F1 with outrageous salaries that can't be paid in Indycar. let alone the demands on making themselves much more accessible to the public at the tracks. Imagine Kimi doing sessions behind a desk sitting autographs for at least an hour.......

I think the US fans prefer other drivers making it big into Indycar, preferrable from their own championships and, if possible, American....

Henri

#8 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:57

Can you imagine Raikkonen dealing with the even more media aware American series?

I find his dullard, rude and sarcastic approach to media painful, rude and extremely unprofessional, and am damn sure Americans would even more!

#9 Christbiscuit

Christbiscuit

• 354 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:04

I can't see Button, Alonso or Raikkonen going to Indycar, ever. Webber isn't going to leave a factory Porsche WEC drive in a hurry either.  I think WEC is where old F1 heads will ease into retirement for the foreseeable future.

#10 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:07

Maybe this is what fans of these "close to retirement from F1" drivers want in order to see their heroes continuing in racing at least somewhere

But I really doubt if that is what Indy car needs to strengthen their fanbase in America again and make it the strong series it once was again.

The die hard Indycar fans don't care that much about the drivers named here, spoiled in F1 with outrageous salaries that can't be paid in Indycar. let alone the demands on making themselves much more accessible to the public at the tracks. Imagine Kimi doing sessions behind a desk sitting autographs for at least an hour.......

I think the US fans prefer other drivers making it big into Indycar, preferrable from their own championships and, if possible, American....

Henri

From what I got when Kimi was racing the truck series in the US in '10 is that he was very much liked by the meadia at least and got a lot of attention. Not sure about the fans but since the media was all hyped I guess the fans would have been as well.  But I agree with you with regards to US fans prefering american drivers.

Nonetheless it would be a chance for Indy or any series outside of europe to draw some attention from the european fans if that would be the goal one day because Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen and Vettel are the big names in motor racing in europe.

#11 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,860 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:08

Can you imagine Raikkonen dealing with the even more media aware American series?

I find his dullard, rude and sarcastic approach to media painful, rude and extremely unprofessional, and am damn sure Americans would even more!

Not even mentiong how much he and Alonso aire paid annually. I think there is a decent chance that what they are paid in a year is close to if  notr more than enough to run a team for a full season. No way they can demand a fee like they are used to in Indycar.

Besides that, Indycar means Indy and other high speed ovals: walls and extreme speeds and much more danger than they are exposed to in F1 for much less money? And an increased risk to die because of the mishap of another you can't avoid run into like Justin a week ago?

henri

#12 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:23

No Indy team has that kind of money. They can get much more in WEC for less work and they can stay in Europe where their family and friends are.

#13 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:25

If you want to believe Montoya nothing is worse than F1 media...

Anyway for competing in Indy Car you need to live in the US for 6 months after a long and exhausting F1 career. Except of the south american drivers and Lewis I cant see anyone doing that.

Edited by Marklar, 31 August 2015 - 08:28.

#14 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:25

You forgot something?

Car.jpeg

#15 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:32

I truly doubt any of them will go to Indycar. The F1 drivers that end up there tend to have left F1 before they wanted to, as opposed to retiring when they chose to. I think that all the drivers mentioned will leave F1 pretty much when they are ready too and will therefore have made the decision to step away from top flight single seaters.

Edited by TheManAlive, 31 August 2015 - 08:47.

#16 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:43

The only attraction to seeing them in IndyCar is for The Indy500.

Now if they were all going to sign up for Daytona 24hr and LeMans as well, we might be getting somewhere.

Or maybe they should all hair enter cars in the Macau GP like what the current young guys are talking about.

#17 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:33

I'd like to see them cameo in Formula E

#18 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:39

Hardly 'rejects'

Some of the guys in Formula E may qualify for that tag but not those mentioned by the OP.

#19 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:10

Kimi only did that as he had nothing better to do and was failing miserably at rallying!  I am not stupid, I know he had a go, but he hardly set the world alight.

And anyway, his attitude would rate after a while, he would soon get fed up with the constant media stuff. As he does anywhere he goes.

Advertisement

#20 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:44

Meh.

Truth be told I'd probably remain indiferent and watch it only when I was doing nothing on a Sunday afternoon. Something about Indycar prevents me from liking it. It always seems like the races are crash strewn and random to the point they assume a lottery like nature. And the current cars are ugly.

Edited by Atreiu, 31 August 2015 - 15:15.

#21 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:52

Yes, JPM has done very well on his return to Indycars, but don't forget about what happened to Barrichello. I think he had 2 top 5s in a full season with a decent team, and generally under performed. His departure also really appears to have been a sign of the times as far as the series finances. He's a big name and talented enough that he probably could still be on the grid, but he was going to have to pay out of pocket to keep a ride and that's just not worth it to someone like him. 

http://autoweek.com/...ted-opportunity

Don't think it'd be any different for the guys mentioned in the OP, except that 3 of them have world titles and that could draw in some sponsors that wouldn't be interested in RB. I just don't see any of them selling the risks of oval racing to their families and moving to the US.

#22 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 13:53

I think you'll see them all in WEC (except Monty).

A Webber/Alonso Porsche is a given and maybe Hulk as #3.

#23 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 14:35

From what I got when Kimi was racing the truck series in the US in '10 is that he was very much liked by the meadia at least and got a lot of attention. Not sure about the fans but since the media was all hyped I guess the fans would have been as well.  But I agree with you with regards to US fans prefering american drivers.

Nonetheless it would be a chance for Indy or any series outside of europe to draw some attention from the european fans if that would be the goal one day because Alonso, Hamilton, Raikkonen and Vettel are the big names in motor racing in europe.

I hear all the time about the US preferring American drivers, but I don't see it as any different from the Dutch leaning towards Verstappen, the Brits towards Hamilton, or the Fins supporting Kimi or Bottas. I think the idea that Americans want American drivers largely comes from a time when competitive American drivers were few to none in the series.

#24 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:12

Because there is much more equality between teams and it is more likely all of them will end up in a competitive machinery. That is not possible in F1.

Besides I feel sorry for this generation going away, it as a really good one imho. Want to see them going somewhere else together. I would try to achieve it if I was somebody responsible for the marketing side of Indy Car. 

Hardly 'rejects'

Some of the guys in Formula E may qualify for that tag but not those mentioned by the OP.

Fact is,they will all be past their prime minute no one else is interested in them in F1..And yeah, talking of the quality of F1 'has-beens' in FE, eh, Villeneuve was a F1 WDC was he not?

#25 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:35

FE teams and organisers are just offering huge salaries  and deals for names.

Oldest trick in the book, even damn rallycross did it!

Simple trickery, people think the drivers are there coz they love FE, theya re there coz they are being paid handsomely

#26 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:56

FE teams and organisers are just offering huge salaries  and deals for names.

Oldest trick in the book, even damn rallycross did it!

Simple trickery, people think the drivers are there coz they love FE, theya re there coz they are being paid handsomely

I think the fact that FE is the new kid on the block formula wise makes it different.I for one am interested in it because of the technology.I couldn't care less about the drivers.

#27 4Wheeldrift

4Wheeldrift

• 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 19:04

Drivers who go down the rung normally do so because they have no choice. So, ex-F1 to IndyCar is normally someone forced out, rather than genuinely retiring - there are some exceptions, Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti, for example, but mostly it's because they can't get a top flight drive in Europe. As others have said a lack of opportunities is not going to befall BUT, ALO, RAI and WEB.

Salary is important, but not so much they won't race elsewhere.

The other thing to consider is that these four have spent over a decade (Kimi did have a forced absence and went to NASCAR) away from spec series.  The idea for these guys to actually turn up and race a car that is not tailored to their needs is an anathema.  It's not that they can't race in the same car as everyone else-  but that is what "Star In a Reasonability Priced Car" is for. I mean, ALO can't keep his hat on for very long when he has 500 people focussed on his every whim, he's not going to tolerate a world where the parts bin for his car is the same from race to race, and the same as every other car on the grid.

So you tend not to see them in spec series after they leave F1.

That and the fact that Ovals are a different breed of racing that it's not normally the kind of thing you take on as you approach your forties.

#28 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 19:09

NASCAR is a bigger challenge for these drivers than Indy. I hear Lewis wants to try it someday.

Edited by discover23, 31 August 2015 - 19:10.

#29 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,174 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 21:16

I see them more to WEC, Button could easily be a great amongst them as I think he is a very efficient driver. Alonso I would expect more in other series where he can drive more agressive. Maybe if rallye cross picks up.

#30 loki

loki

• 12,037 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 21:35

He ran a truck race and a Nationwide race and the press and others in the NASCAR garage loved him.

#31 loki

loki

• 12,037 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 21:39

NASCAR is a bigger challenge for these drivers than Indy. I hear Lewis wants to try it someday.

The Lewis doesn't have the demeanor or the attachments to run big time circle track.   He gets into winge mode when a teammate gets close.  Imagine how it would be with 42 others, all of which are willing to push you to the wall if necessary.

#32 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 21:46

So what about the Latin drivers?

Do you guys think Mass, Perez, Nasr and Maldonado will drive in Indycar?

That's a more realistic scenario I think

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 22:11

Maldonado at Indy Cars is the worst idea ever and I mean that serious...

#34 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 23:14

I would love nothing more than this. But I'll settle for WEB BUT ALO in WEC, MON in Indycar and RAI in Nascar.

#35 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,593 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 23:21

I bet Button and Alonso would be having a lot more fun than they are now!

#36 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 00:36

Wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting though, and I'd rather see Maldonado in complete retirement.

#37 LB

LB

• 13,553 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:55

Maldonado at Indy Cars is the worst idea ever and I mean that serious...

thats actually a scary thought

#38 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:37

thats actually a scary thought

The picture of him leaving the pits on an oval will probably be one of the scariest experiences Indy drivers will ever experience  :rotfl:

#39 SirVanhan

SirVanhan

• 155 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:23

A Ganassi driver would still win thanks to random events.

Advertisement

#40 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 13:16

Honestly, I think Maldonado has a very good chance of driving in Indycars. Citgo paid for Milka Duno to trundle around at the back of IRL races for a long time, and Pastor is a more capable driver than her.

If/when Lotus gets its finances sorted or Renault takes over, he'll be out of F1. PDVSA owns Citgo outright, and they don't currently have a presence in Indycar but I'm sure they would like to be there. Maldonado is just about the best Venezuelan driver out there, and racing in the US is easy for a lot of South American drivers, they all buy 2nd homes in Miami.

Yes, the thought of him trying to dive down the inside of another driver at Indy T1 gives me goosebumps of horror, but it's much more plausible than some of the other names mentioned here...

#41 viceroy1

viceroy1

• 125 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 23:21

I agree! He comes across as an ungrateful douchebag. He's being paid MILLIONS of dollars every year to travel around the world and race the fastest cars on the planet, the least he could do is act like a pro, even if he doesn't like it. His "fans" write it off as "Ooohhh look Kimi is soo uber cool he doesn't care about the media" but if any of the other drivers did it, they'd get a neverending rain of outrage (faux and "real")... anyway, thats off topic enough, I'd love to see these guys battle it out in equal machinery, because we all know when it comes to f1 its 80% car anyway. Sure, we can tell to some degree just how relatively good these guys are by comparing them to their teammates (current and past) but there's still so many variables to consider it still leaves room for doubt.

#42 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:59

A Ganassi driver would still win thanks to random events.

Or because they busted their asses to fix a broken car to get one point which ultimately made the difference a few races ago.

But sure 'random events'. 

#43 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:27

I agree! He comes across as an ungrateful douchebag. He's being paid MILLIONS of dollars every year to travel around the world and race the fastest cars on the planet, the least he could do is act like a pro, even if he doesn't like it. His "fans" write it off as "Ooohhh look Kimi is soo uber cool he doesn't care about the media" but if any of the other drivers did it, they'd get a neverending rain of outrage (faux and "real")... anyway, thats off topic enough, I'd love to see these guys battle it out in equal machinery, because we all know when it comes to f1 its 80% car anyway. Sure, we can tell to some degree just how relatively good these guys are by comparing them to their teammates (current and past) but there's still so many variables to consider it still leaves room for doubt.

I dont want this to turn into a Kimi bashing thread.

But in my opinion KR attitude will be something people will like in the U.S. Actually he is already quite popular. There is one Indy or NASCAR driver I dont remember his name who mimics Kimi very well and has to do it every time he is interviewd, because he is asked to :D

IMHO his attitude can very well be used as a product in U.S. Americans are very good at making products and selling them, I dont see his attitude as a setback.

#44 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 13:10

I dont want this to turn into a Kimi bashing thread.

But in my opinion KR attitude will be something people will like in the U.S. Actually he is already quite popular. There is one Indy or NASCAR driver I dont remember his name who mimics Kimi very well and has to do it every time he is interviewd, because he is asked to :D

IMHO his attitude can very well be used as a product in U.S. Americans are very good at making products and selling them, I dont see his attitude as a setback.

Drivers strive to get to the top, and make enough money to never worry about that. But after the honeymoon and when they get near the end of their shelf life, they basically have one of two choices, retire completely, or keep on racing. For most racing is their passion, it was what they fell in love with as kids and still want to do. So they start looking around and taking a more-than-normal interest in racing they watch. And if a certain race or series interests them, they file it away in their bucket list.

If I was a Formula One driver seeking to go racing somewhere else, I would rather look for a series where I can immediately transfer my skills over, rather than learn a completely new set of skills. That can be done in Indycar, there is one team that has an oval specialist for ovals, and a road course specialist for road courses. But Dixon probably indicated that way when he mentioned that he would like to race LeMans and the Bathurst 1000.

http://www.racer.com...-champion-dixon

The move by Webber showed the way, and Hulkenberg's victory at LeMans must have laid a golden path many Formula One drivers are seriously considering. And if they desire to race constantly, like Montoya, there is NASCAR or Indycar, or other series, such as Stock Car Brasil, Aussie V-8's, DTM, or Japanese Touring Car Championship.

#45 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 21:07

Maybe all together in the WEC?

However, far more likely for next season is the option of a more concentrated test programme for Montoya from the end of the IndyCar season onward, in preparation for a full campaign with Porsche in 2017.

http://www.motorspor...toya-lmp1-test/

#46 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 21:19

MAL will be Indycar champion 2018 or 2019.

#47 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 21:23

MAL will be Indycar champion 2018 or 2019.

Barrichello had 10 more wins in F1 than Maldonado, beat him as a teammate, and finished 12th in Indycar points the next season. The more likely scenario is Maldonado stays in F1 for longer than that, because ~$50 million is too much of an investment in a car-dominated series to turn down.

#48 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 21:34

The Lewis doesn't have the demeanor or the attachments to run big time circle track.   He gets into winge mode when a teammate gets close.  Imagine how it would be with 42 others, all of which are willing to push you to the wall if necessary.

Because Lewis has never pushed anyone off track, right? All F1 drivers would push you into a wall if they have to and can run away with it. Just because you don't see them do it every weekend, it doesn't mean they don't have the attitude and skills to do it.

Maldonado would be a good fit for NASCAR, but he'd get taught a lesson or two.

I don't see Alonso leaving Europe after F1. He still lives at his hometown. 

#49 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 21:42

BTW, Montoya tweeted a pic earlier today from inside the Porsche WEC car. I think he is getting his seat fitted. It looks like this one race Le Mans deal is happening for next year.

#50 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 21:45

BTW, Montoya tweeted a pic earlier today from inside the Porsche WEC car. I think he is getting his seat fitted....

That's going to be a lot of carbon fiber...  :rotfl: