Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

If you follow BOTH F1 and IndyCar, which one do you follow more closely?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: If you follow BOTH F1 and IndyCar, which one do you follow more closely? (134 member(s) have cast votes)

If you follow BOTH F1 and IndyCar, which one do you follow more closely?

1. F1 (91 votes [67.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.91%

2. IndyCar (24 votes [17.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.91%

3. Equal (19 votes [14.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 15:51

Just having a poll on this. Vote only if you really follow both series, I mean if you try to see most races, follow the news, and try to know what's going on in both series.

Last year when F1 was still an equal favorite series alongside IndyCar for me, I probably followed F1 more closely. That was just because I had done it most of my life and it was more or less of an habit, IndyCar has less media coverage, and I wasn't as aware of the options there are to follow IndyCar. That was the case even when I'd started to prefer IndyCar.

But nowadays I'm even struggling to to follow F1 the way I defined it above. I watch races if I have time for it, don't religiously look for news but check them if I see something interesting. Just enough to have some idea on what's going on. But definitely less than IndyCar. It's more like following F1 was, trying to watch all sessions and watch full replays of missed races. And checking news daily, or rather multiple times daily.

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 15:54

I follow F1 more closely even though I probably enjoy Indycar a bit more. But I think that's more down to the media exposure that makes it easier for me to keep up with the developments in F1.

I really noticed it this weekend at Sonoma when I had to be referring to my spotter guide for a number of backmarkers and less well known drivers. That would never have happened if I was at a Grand Prix.

#3 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 15:59

Definitely F1. I like IndyCar well enough, but I'm not too bothered about watching the races days or even weeks later and when I watch them I also don't pay nearly as much attention as I do to the F1 races.

I don't really get excited about searching for F1 related news, though. I visit this and a Dutch discussion forum and between them I think I have a pretty good idea of the main stories - and some of lesser importance, as well.

#4 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 16:00

F1 for sure, but Indycar is growing on me year by year.

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 16:01

With the media attention and the status of F1 it is difficult not to follow F1 more than Indy Car unless you live in North America.

#6 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 16:05

Indycar/ US open wheelers is slowly regaining the sort of attention I gave to CART until the self-harming IRL years, but it's still got some way to go to match the attention I pay to F1. If it's your main attraction then you are now in for a ludicrously long off-season.

#7 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 16:21

Mostly IndyCar, primarily because living in California means watching F1 happens at about 4AM, also because with the neutering of tracks is a joke in F1 and they are more like a Prius engine than anything I have seen raced before.

IndyCar is past it's glory CART days, but it is getting closer to what it was back in the day, but as long as it's controlled from Indiana it will remain essentially a spec series.

#8 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 16:34

I watch IndyCar races (missed 1 this year), but I follow F1. I watch every practice, Q session and race, often several times. In addition I constantly check various racing sites for F1 news, and watch selected races in the off- season. I anticipate the start of the new F1 season almost from the moment the previous season ends, and start ramping up my interest at the dawn of the New Year. I have the ski season as a bit of a diversion, but by March I am beside myself with excitement. I really enjoy most IndyCar races, and it has replaced MotoGP as my second fav motorsport. Still it ranks behind bike racing and ski racing for television viewing, as well as F1.

#9 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 16:41

I've noticed that recently on these forums it's...... IndyCar this.... IndyCar that.

Something tells me it ain't just a snack anymore.

Jp

#10 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 16:51

I voted F1, despite substantially preferring Indycar.

But my vote is based on ease of access to information which enables me to 'follow' it.

Stuff happens in Indycar that I have no clue about in advance, for instance I can have watched about 20 laps before realising that a certain driver will suddenly be driving say an orange car instead of the usual black. There'll be no mention of it anywhere beforehand, so I'll have no idea I should be looking out for said car, whereas in F1 if a driver moves a sponsor logo 5cm to the left it is headline news.

Even driver moves or swaps happening week after week, you tend to forget who is where and when, or a backmarker driver drops out of the series and you simply never notice.

It's just an exposure thing though. Nobody watches Indycar and it has barely any exposure anywhere. There isn't just a coincidence there.

#11 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,563 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 17:07

I love watching Indycar, because they will always indycar at some point during a race. Mostly more than once.

It's good entertainment, and the Indycar race threads in this forum are something else :clap: 

But between races, I pay more attention to whats happening in and around F1. Technical stuff, mainly. 

#12 viceroy1

viceroy1

• 125 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 17:09

Mostly IndyCar, primarily because living in California means watching F1 happens at about 4AM, also because with the neutering of tracks is a joke in F1 and they are more like a Prius engine than anything I have seen raced before.
IndyCar is past it's glory CART days, but it is getting closer to what it was back in the day, but as long as it's controlled from Indiana it will remain essentially a spec series.

You do realize these current power units are almost as powerful as the v10s right? That plus they have more torque. To be honest, i'm still not big on the sound, and I think the gearbox would do well with 2 less gears, but these v6t hybrid engines are pretty powerful. I like indycars too, actually just watched my first full race in a while (Sonoma) and it was pretty good. It's a bit ironic hearing the same things (tyre deg, fuel saving) that f1 people complain about, being the difference between the winner and the rest

#13 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,364 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 17:23

I voted for both equally which is probably closest to the truth. I watch more of IndyCar tests and practice sessions due to free streaming provided on the official website while F1 practices usually come at a silly o'clock in the morning, i watch all the qualis and races for both. I attend one IndyCar race each year since it comes to town so it's not too much effort to organize my work and other responsibilities around that one weekend, but i haven't been to an F1 race in almost two decades now. I read all the relevant media, blogs and such - with F1 having much better media visibility of course. So i reckon it all comes to about the same.

#14 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 17:35

I really noticed it this weekend at Sonoma when I had to be referring to my spotter guide for a number of backmarkers and less well known drivers. That would never have happened if I was at a Grand Prix.

That's partly because you never know who are gonna be in Coyne cars and which sponsors are gonna be in Ganassi cars.

Though when watching F1 this summer, I wasn't recognize the Manor when it had blue in the sidepod. (It wasn't at the beginning of the season, was it?) Because of red, white and blue I was thinking there's a Russian-backed GP2 in F1 practice.

With the media attention and the status of F1 it is difficult not to follow F1 more than Indy Car unless you live in North America.

Depends on what media you use. I tend to skip F1 news from Finnish mainstream media so it's foreign motorsports media where I get the news from. While I used to type autosport.com some years ago when I wanted to check motorsports news, I tend to check racer.com these days. Or any IndyCar media.

#15 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 17:50

Before this year, I would probably have said I follow both equally. But, for the first time, I've missed several F1 races simply through a lack of an interest, whereas the only IndyCar races I've missed this year have been when I've been busy or whatever. So the balance has tipped slightly more in IndyCar's favour, just based on that.

Also, which do I enjoy more right now? IndyCar again, I have to say. It's just a pity F1 doesn't finish till November and that IndyCar's over by August. I'd prefer it to be the other way around. :p

#16 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 17:51

This is the first year in a long time (probably since the decline of CART in the early 2000s) where I've actually watched every IndyCar race, even if just in snippets in the week after the race.

That said, I still pay more attention to F1 and watch all of the races live when I can, or later that day. It's almost out of habit more than anything, because I don't like the current cars and the racing has been very lackluster even by F1 standards, and especially compared to Indy madnesss.

Also... DRACONE.

Edited by Dan333SP, 31 August 2015 - 17:52.

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 17:55

I've noticed that recently on these forums it's...... IndyCar this.... IndyCar that.

Something tells me it ain't just a snack anymore.

Jp

Speaking of which, have a look at which soon-to-be-bereft-of-F1 broadcaster has covered an Indycar race that featured 1) no major accidents and 2) no British winner...

#18 kozmo

kozmo

• 135 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:08

F1 will always be first for me but Indycar does seem to slowly getting its act together.  Can't imagine it will ever get back to the glory days of CART but anything is better that the split.   Now that they are returning to Road America in 2016 I think I might attend a race for the first time in a decade.

Having said that, I hate the look of the current cars.   They look fat and bulbous and the new aero kits don't help. 

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:11

Speaking of which, have a look at which soon-to-be-bereft-of-F1 broadcaster has covered an Indycar race that featured 1) no major accidents and 2) no British winner...

:eek:

Holy mother of pearl ...stand by for the planets to collide I guess.

Jp

Advertisement

#20 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,068 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:13

IndyCar is a whole heap of mostly ridiculous fun! The IndyCar threads on this forum are warm and cosy!

I like F1 but it's cold and clinical, IndyCar is just more fun for a TV/Forum spectator!

#21 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:14

Definitely F1.

I have watched most of the Indycar races for the last two years but if I don't watch it live I just look up the results, would do the same with F1, too. And I follow most of the drivers on Twitter but other than that I don't really know their personalities as well as I do the F1 drivers. I know TK Hinch Helio JP and a couple of the other top drivers but I don't even know what Carlos Muñoz or Ryan Briscoe look like.

Must try harder next year.

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:31

Don't worry, no one else knows what Ryan Briscoe looks like either.

#23 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:35

I watch all races of both, but loiter on the Indycar threads as they're more fun. Silly season, off season and off track F1 stuff is much more interesting though. Indycar has never really generated the off-track intrigue and analysis F1 has, even if it can be more entertaining once you've started racing. Never been much of one for watching practice sessions for either - I'd rather watch racing from another competitive series (BTCC, GP2/3 etc.). So, fairly even in terms of races, but more F1-oriented elsewhere.

#24 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:48

F1. Indy's a nice chill-out for me on a Sunday evening, but I don't watch the practise or qualifying, and on raceday I don't really care who wins. In many ways, that makes it more enjoyable  :p

#25 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:55

I live in a little fantasy world where the BBC picks up the live rights to the Indy 500 off BT.

Loads of people watch the Superbowl final, right?!

#26 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:57

F1, but simply because of the time zone differences. It's simply not humanly possible to balance a work schedule with watching Indycar races on the West Coast of the USA that end up starting beyond midnight here, in the very early hours of a Monday morning. If time zones were no issue, my vote would swing to "equal".

#27 Zeroninety

Zeroninety

• 184 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:59

I've made the effort to follow F1 when I can, and in the last few years, it's truly been an effort. But IndyCar has been in my blood and my soul since childhood. It's part of me in a way that I've had to lately explain to my wife, still so new to racing herself, as she struggles to understand how I can keep tuning in after watching a good man die before our eyes.

#28 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 18:59

About the same now. I use to be more into F1 up until a year, a year and a half ago but is getting too boring for me now to follow religiously and making the commitment to wake up that early in the morning to watch the races and qualifying live. I still record them but I am too busy during the day that I never get a chance to watch them fully - I lost motivation and now have other priorities, plus watching the race after the fact is not the same for me.

Indy is at a better time for me and I do watch the races when I am at home but even when I am out, I still make every effort to read the thread for updates and livetiming.

#29 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 19:15

F1. IndyCar is non-existent in broadcasting terms around here. Some races have a nasty schedule for GMT+1 viewing. I now have Sport1 and am able to follow it more closey now. Where F1 is neutered trackwise, IndyCar is neutered SC wise.

#30 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,982 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 19:21

A few years ago would have been hands down F1 but more recently I am following IndyCar more and more. I would almost begin to say that I am approaching being able to say I follow them equally. I certainly enjoy them equally in their own ways. 

And for interests sake, the reason I didn't get into Indycar earlier than I did was down to 1) Lack of coverage and 2) my own ignorance. 

#31 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 19:52

This is the first year I have followed Indycar. I would say it has been just about equal this year, but if F1 continues in its current track then Indycar will be ahead next season.
Only negative is that the season is already over and there is more than half a year till next one begins.

/Lars

#32 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 19:53

Indycar this year, but give me an entertaining F1 season and I'll be straight back there like the lady of easy virtue that I am.

#33 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:26

not sure it's a matter of following one more than the other in my case.

I'm a long time Williams fan, so I'm focused on them more than any driver or championship is concerned.

with indy car it is all driver related, way back it was Gordon Johncock and Johnny Rutherford. Tom Sneva and AJ Foyt. always Mario Andretti and Michael when he started. Then AL Jr and Bobby Rahal. was amazed by Nigel mansell, but didn't like his personality in indy car as much as I did in F1.
Emmerson Fittipaldi seemed to fit right in though, one of my favorites. then the split screwed things up.
the cars lost their identity and so did the drivers for me.
I'm a big Montoya fan, so I watch what he races.
no other driver now has any pull for me, so if Montoya stays I'll watch unless the cars become more like indy car was. but I doubt they can get back to that for obvious safety concerns. those late 80's early 90's days were special

Edited by paulogman, 31 August 2015 - 20:27.

#34 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:29

Don't worry, no one else knows what Ryan Briscoe looks like either.

I do, 'cause he married that totally hot Nicole babe and sometimes gets in her pictures.

#35 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:38

Indycar this year, but give me an entertaining F1 season and I'll be straight back there like the lady of easy virtue that I am.

We have not had one since 2010 - maybe 2012?

#36 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,593 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:45

Right now it is 50-50 for me, but Indycar is getting more exciting (despite the short season), and F1 is getting more frustrating (stupid token system, ride buyers), so I'm drifting towards Indycar more-and-more.

#37 Christbiscuit

Christbiscuit

• 354 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:49

By virtue of being in Europe alone, F1 info is everywhere so it's easy to be more aware of the goings on in F1. You have to dig in the dirt with your bare hands to find Indy sometimes, but I've enjoyed Indy a lot more than F1 for a number of years. I've been into F1 since the late 70's, I only discovered Indycar when Mansell went over in 93 (remember ITV used to have a weekly show on it then?). F1 has been part of my life, almost all my life but, in my mind at least, Indycar is the more exciting series by a long, long way. I would absolutely love to see Indycar with the same level of coverage F1 has now (including no ad breaks).

#38 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:49

We have not had one since 2010 - maybe 2012?

For the record I loved 2011 and 2012, and found 2014 very intriguing.

#39 greenman

greenman

• 1,565 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:50

I've always been an F1 guy (mainly the country I am from which doesn't care about American racing), but in the last few years I'm simply more excited by Indycar. I'm much more eager to watch Indycar races, I'm more interested in the news that come from the Indycar world than F1, and I care more about the drivers. I even find it easier to excuse the clueless officiating and silly rules in Indycar than F1.

Advertisement

#40 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 20:55

I'd say I follow F1 a bit more but I get much more enjoyment out of watching indycar. Indycar is what F1 dreams it could be at the moment which is unpredictable. I still enjoy F1 but indycar just seems more of an event if you know what I mean.

#41 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 21:06

I'd say I follow F1 a bit more but I get much more enjoyment out of watching indycar. Indycar is what F1 dreams it could be at the moment which is unpredictable. I still enjoy F1 but indycar just seems more of an event if you know what I mean.

Totally agree with that.

I've talked about this enough on other threads, but the reason I'm sometimes unmotivated to watch F1 these days is because generally it's very predictable and there are few different winners. I miss seasons like 2008, 2010 or 2012, where there were several different winners, and even a few first time winners.

IndyCar is great because it's unpredictable. Often, during a race, you don't have a clue who is going to win and that's how it should be. Yeah, there's more to a race than just who wins yada yada, but it definitely helps create excitement.

#42 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 21:32

TBH, F1 is easier to follow as with Indycar I don't have BT Sport and can't stand watching scrambled Nigerian streams for many hours.

I think I've got it all worked out though if F1 and Indycar were WWE PPVs.

F1 - WrestleMania - it's got the prestige and it can offer some extremely exciting moments in what is usually a plodding, predictable affair.

Indycar - Royal Rumble - it's madness, it's chaos, it's a free for all and it's damn fun to watch.

#43 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 21:35

Taking about time zones, for a Finn, IndyCar races hardly ever finish before midnight (the 500 is one exception whereas Sonoma started only at midnight). As a student, I have more flexibility with my schedules, so that's not such a problem. And even if I had to wake up three hours after the race has finished, I'd still watch it and somehow survive the following day with energy drink, even if it'd lead to a premature death.

Then again, what time is F1 on? 3-5pm. Exactly when I can do so many nice things on Sunday. Or the Asian races sometime in the morning, as if I'm going to plan what time I'm gonna wake up on Sunday (unless IndyCar goes to Australia or Japan, or more recently I've been getting into V8SC). I really like IndyCar's late night time slot whereas F1 has only four evening races for Europeans.

paulogman brough the favorite team aspect. I'm too a Williams fan. That's very much the only thing keeping me interested in F1 these days. It's like hockey and soccer for me. As a game I prefer hockey over soccer (like IndyCar over F1), though soccer and F1 have the teams I care the most about.

And there's the technical competition  in F1 that IndyCar lacks. But F1's been frustrating me so much in the last years that I can't anymore care about the technical innovations. Especially when IndyCar with semi-spec cars can provide much better racing with some epic IndyCar moments.

#44 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 22:37

Whatever happened to Cart?

That.I could relate to! 

#45 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 23:05

Indycar. At least since 2011.

My favorite F1 season is still the 2010 one, even if Webber lost. But the Pirelli / DRS era is absolutely killing me. No offense to Vettel and Hamilton.

I'd rank my current favorite championships this year thusly:

Honorable mentions: World Rallycross, V8s, Speedway, NHRA Drag Series, Moto2.

10. Formula 1 (just because it remains my first love)

9. ELMS

8. DTM

7. BTCC

6. Blancpain GTs

5. Formula E

4. Indycar

3. United Sportscar

2. WEC

1. MotoGP

F1, WRC, Nascar, Superbike, WTCC and European single-seater feeder series (WSR 3.5, GP2, GP3 and F3) are the biggest losers so far this year.

I just can't give F1 a worse spot than #10. It's still F1 unfortunately. Mainly because of the quality of the field and my Sunday ritual since seeing my first race at six years of age.

Edited by OvDrone, 31 August 2015 - 23:11.

#46 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 23:38

Equally.

It's incredibly easy to find decent web sites that cover each sport, a good starting point is racer.com. But Indycar delivers entertainment and unpredictability by the bucketload, Formula One is so predictable it's crazy. And not a good crazy, more like the aunt with 15 cats. Pathetically scary crazy.

IMO Indycar delivers that shoot-from-the hip, a throw of the dice and lots of luck kind of action I can't take too seriously but enjoy immensely. While Formula One does have it's quaint appeal, everyone from the drivers to the teams to the fans are just too uptight, they have forgotten how to let their hair down and have fun.

Obviously, Oddball would have been an Indycar fan.

#47 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:06

I'd say it's easier even in the Americas. There is just soooo much good F1 info out there, it's ridiculous. Impossible to read it all.

Edited by AustinF1, 01 September 2015 - 02:12.

#48 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:15

You have to be kidding me, another F1 vs. IndyCar thread...

karen-gillan-doctor-who.jpg

Just thought I'd throw that in for the stellar IndyCar posters that have found a refuge in certain threads ;)

#49 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:31

Didn't vote as I don't watch Indycar races. But the Indycar threads are SO much more fun and less uptight. But I'm just not attracted to watching oval races, and American TV grinds my gears. If the Beeb covered some Indycar races, Id probably watch them.

#50 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:51

Other than the Indy 500 the Sonoma race was the only one that I took the trouble to begin to watch. Then, in pre-race I learned this last race was double points. So I switched it off. What?

Yes, I really can't justify watching F1 now. So there's that.

But Moto GP ... well, as Huey Lewis used to say, "The heart of Rock n' Roll is still beat-ing".