- - - - -

Formula 1 Gran Premio D'Italia 2015

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#1 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 22:58

Where to begin when thinking of the Italian Grand Prix?  It's not a race I've attended, much to my regret, so I can't add any personal touches to this post - I was hoping someone else would take the reins...but it's nearly Tuesday, I've a glass of red to finish, and we need a thread.

In 1921, the Italian Grand Prix was run at Brescia, but Monza was built in 1922, and has been the home of the most of the Italian races since then - since the revival in 1950, only one Italian GP has not been run on this iconic circuit, whereas two of  the other survivors from this date - Silverstone and Spa, have sat out many years.  Monaco, of course, is Monaco.  On these old tracks, the corners of the circuit have names, not numbers.  If the environs of Silverstone, with it's cluster of F1 factories is the powerhouse of F1, then Monza is the heart and soul of F1.  The racing fans of Italy have more passion for the sport than any others, you will see the massive Ferrari flag in the main grandstand, and this love for the Scuderia is deep - when Imola was still a track for F1, you could see it there too, but now, Monza has this passion to itself.  What marks Monza out uniquely is the sheer speed of the track.  In 2002, Juan Pablo Montoya ran a qualifying lap at an average speed of 259.827 km/h (approx 162mph).

The orginal layout was a double loop with a banked corner, but in 1928 a massive tragedy occurred where 27 spectators and 1 driver died and many were injured when a car came off this banking.  This was an era of many other tragedies, and after 1938 the banking was dismantled, and only the flat road circuit was used - until 1954, when the circuit was revamped with the construction of the famous Parabolica, and the reconstruction of a much bigger and aggresive banked corner over the original, almost flat banking.  This was used in 1955 (Fangio) and 1956 - a race notable because after Fangio's Ferrari retired with broken steering, the Italian driver was called in but refused the call, so Collins - who had a chance of the championship came in and passed his car, and is championship challenge, to Fangio.

The banking remained contraversial.  It was not built on a solid foundation, but on columns, and was incredibly rough, so for the next few years the banking was retired and only the road circuit used, but in 1960, with the powerful but heavy Ferraris losing out to the nimble British mid-engined cars during the season, it was re-instated and integrated with the road track to make the circuit much faster and more favourable to the more powerful Ferraris.  The British teams boycotted the race for safety reasons, and it became the last race won by a front engined car.

In 1961, the race returned to the combined circuit, but another tragedy occured when Von Trips and Clark collided, and the following accident claimed the life of Von Trips, and the lives of 14 spectators.  After this race, the banking was never used again - it was physically ripping the cars to pieces, and now survives as a decaying monument to the earlier, more brutal days of F1.

Since then the track has remained more or less the same - it was upgraded in 1980 with new pits a few revisions, but the layout remained almost identical.  After the tragedies in 1994, a few modifications were made, and again in 2000, but it remains the fastest track on the F1 calendar.    The cars run with almost invisible rear wings, and somehow the drivers keep the cars on the track. Well, mostly.  Last year, after the pole qualifying Hamilton made a very poor start and allowed Nico Rosberg to disappear into the distance, Nico had problems twice at the Variante del Rettifilo, the second mistake allowed a flying Hamilton who was recovering fast to pounce and he then disappeared into the distance.

Last years pole time was 1.24.109 by Lewis Hamilton, and the race was won by him as well.  The tifosi had their hearts broken when Fernando Alonso's Ferrari stopped due to an engine issue - his first mechanical problem for nearly 4 years.

After the tyre issues at Spa a couple of weeks ago, another very fast circuit, it will be interesting to see what Pirelli say about this race.

I can't think of much more to say, other than bring it on, and the folk with stats and interesting stuff please add it in. 

Because the track is unique, the race itself is unique, and is another I always enjoy.  See you all at the weekend.

Edited by Lotus53B, 01 September 2015 - 07:59.

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 23:11

Softer tyres and '15 spec engines, will we get anything like a respectable lap time?

Merc dominance
Long live Lewis

#3 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 00:06

Next to Silverstone there is Monza.I looove high speed tracks where a brave  driver in a good car  can just  hang his  balls out the cockpit and just go for it!  :eek:  :love:

Nice build up to the race OP  :up:

#4 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 00:18

The temple of speed! Race will be over in an hour and 15mins.

#5 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 00:24

:clap:  :clap: :clap: MONZA :love:  :love: :love:
Quite probably my favourite place in the world.

The weather forecast is looking decidedly dodgy (AGAIN :mad: of the 13 F1 events (I include testing) I have been to it has rained at some point at 11 of them :( I'm not amused weather gods, this is more than bad luck  :cool:)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3173435 (Does anyone have a more cheerful forecast? - having said that maybe a bit of rain will help McLaren)

Engine penalties are likely for at least Red Bull and there will quite possibly be engine upgrades for Mercedes and Ferrari.

Edited by Exb, 01 September 2015 - 00:26.

#6 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:53

Softer tyres and '15 spec engines, will we get anything like a respectable lap time?

Merc dominance
Long live Lewis

After what happened at Pocono last week and Suzuka last year, how about "Long live all the drivers."

#7 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:33

Next to Silverstone there is Monza.I looove high speed tracks where a brave  driver in a good car  can just  hang his  balls out the cockpit and just go for it!  :eek:  :love:

It will mess up the aero.

#8 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:34

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3173435 (Does anyone have a more cheerful forecast? - having said that maybe a bit of rain will help McLaren)

http://www.windguru....x.php?sc=209491

#9 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,565 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:49

Friendly reminder: Parabolica has tarmac run-off. :down:

#10 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:04

Friendly reminder: Parabolica has tarmac run-off. :down:

so what, it is just in the end of the turn... wasn't a big deal last year and will no big deal this year.

#11 worsic

worsic

• 42 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:38

Hello, it's my first post here but i have been lurking around for a year or two.

As you said, there is something different in the air when you walk around the track in Monza, the roads to the paddock are fully packed with fans waiting to se drivers cars pass to the parking, or someone going by. I've been there last year and i am going there to work this year again so if you like i can post some photos from the paddock here and i will write down if i get some insider stories.

#12 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,601 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:09

Hello, it's my first post here but i have been lurking around for a year or two.

As you said, there is something different in the air when you walk around the track in Monza, the roads to the paddock are fully packed with fans waiting to se drivers cars pass to the parking, or someone going by. I've been there last year and i am going there to work this year again so if you like i can post some photos from the paddock here and i will write down if i get some insider stories.

Hm, been there last year and going there to work this year again. Are you Russian by any chance and is your employer Red Bull?

#13 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:15

so what, it is just in the end of the turn... wasn't a big deal last year and will no big deal this year.

Yeah, besides that everyone used the tarmac run-off like hell...

#14 worsic

worsic

• 42 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:31

Hm, been there last year and going there to work this year again. Are you Russian by any chance and is your employer Red Bull?

No. I'm from Slovenia. And Red Bull as employer is my wet dream for now :D I work for a Slovenian automotive page and a sports paper on the side. I usually go to some European races.

#15 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:17

I remember it being heavily used last year, on lines that previously would have ruined laps. Another one of F1's corners that separated the great and the good completely muted. 

#16 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:02

The cars were all over the place last year. Previously the best drivers would manage to combine both speed and the perfect line and make that small difference.

But not to worry, the FIA will draw up a DRS zone along the main straight that is so long that a driver's line through Parabolica is all but meaningless anyway.

Just some of last year's highlights. Mistakes into Parabolica? No problem! :up:

tzWfidV.jpg

Edited by Nonesuch, 01 September 2015 - 10:06.

#17 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:33

It's been a while since I was there for a race weekend....This had BETTER not be the last either.

7a932f65392d738076ae9b28ef049ed9.jpeg

Jp

#18 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:37

This outfit is so 1998/9.  :p

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:31

Yep..1999 it was.

Well spotted there Mr.Coco Chanel

Jp

Advertisement

#20 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 13:11

Mercedes predicts speeds of up to 365 km/h - should be fun to watch  :smoking:

https://twitter.com/...007743874469888

#21 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 13:57

365? Does that mean Merc will not turn down their engine for the weekend?  :eek:

#22 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 13:58

Didn't Renault manage 361 last year? Was hoping for 370 for a Merc or Ferrari this year actually.

#23 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,710 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 14:30

Merc will run higher downforce, they may not have the outright fastest top speed, but it will translate to the quickest time.

#24 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 16:18

Merc will run higher downforce, they may not have the outright fastest top speed, but it will translate to the quickest time.

Hm, sticking your neck out with that one, eh?

:D

#25 quaint

quaint

• 831 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 16:58

Monza will stay near my heart for a long time, if not forever – it was perhaps the very last time I heard top class racing cars with somewhat magnificent engines back in 2013 (and no, I don't really care for dragsters, no matter how loud they are).

There is little hope for an exciting race this year, although unexpected variable weather might prove some.

#26 KjetilS

KjetilS

• 23 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 17:42

Just to feel the atmosphere. Here is the safetycar and medical car running of Friday.

I also love the sound of the speaker.

https://www.youtube....h?v=n3ohJqNgu4Q

#27 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 17:47

The cars were all over the place last year. Previously the best drivers would manage to combine both speed and the perfect line and make that small difference.

But not to worry, the FIA will draw up a DRS zone along the main straight that is so long that a driver's line through Parabolica is all but meaningless anyway.

Just some of last year's highlights. Mistakes into Parabolica? No problem! :up:

tzWfidV.jpg

Depressing...

It used to be a great corner.

#28 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,601 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 19:07

I am hoping we will get to see some more non DRS overtakes on ths high speed circuit.

Like Verstappen into Blanchimont. Is there any place in Monza were it is possible to overtake but you have to be totally mad to try it?

#29 Cloxxki

Cloxxki

• 472 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 19:36

I am hoping we will get to see some more non DRS overtakes on ths high speed circuit.

Like Verstappen into Blanchimont. Is there any place in Monza were it is possible to overtake but you have to be totally mad to try it?

Before Spa I predicted Max would show us new (formerly labeled as impossible) places to overtake. He did not disappoint.

It would be a relatively safe bet to say he'll do an overtake at some stage no-one else pulled off.
I just hope (and actually expect) that he's also been working (sim racing) on double DRS situations, to next time pull off the overtake. And his signature style (Spa F3 '14), two cars in one move. He was not ready to deal with Massa hanging around the end of Kemmel when overtaking Raikkonen. That misjudgement cost him 2 places and 4 points.

#30 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 19:51

Is there any place in Monza were it is possible to overtake but you have to be totally mad to try it?

Perhaps the outside of the Curva Grande (especially against Vettel) comes closest, but it's a move that's been done dozens of times before so it's not all that 'totally mad'.

Edited by Nonesuch, 01 September 2015 - 19:51.

#31 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 19:52

.. there will quite possibly be engine upgrades for ... Ferrari.

What?  Ferrari turn up at Monza with a Monza special engine?  Whoever heard of such a thing?

#32 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 20:49

Overtaking into Lesmo 2, have we seen that before?

#33 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 21:42

Hopefully Pirelli bring some actual tyres.

#34 Laura23

Laura23

• 825 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 22:19

Hopefully Pirelli bring some actual tyres.

Same compounds as Spa so don't expect much. Mercedes will cakewalk the race.

#35 tempname11

tempname11

• 153 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:15

Just to feel the atmosphere. Here is the safetycar and medical car running of Friday.

I also love the sound of the speaker.

https://www.youtube....h?v=n3ohJqNgu4Q

What's up with that Fly Emirates banner (center of frame in the closing seconds of clip)??? It looks like part of it is inside the track, in front of the green crash barrier, and the other end is way too high, so it's tilted as hell. I mean, that placement doesn't make any sense to me. So weird.  :drunk:

Edit: it's actually simply suspended above the track. Perspective tricks :)

Edited by tempname11, 02 September 2015 - 03:19.

#36 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:27

Michael's 55th Pole was at Monza, 2003

#37 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 743 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:32

How anyone could prefer today's sanitized motors to those screaming, psychotic, maniacal bastards is just beyond me.

#38 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:44

Also a crystal clear demonstration of what happens when you put run off on the outside of the Parabolica. Schumacher doesn't have half his car over the white line on the outside of the turn.

#39 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:01

It will mess up the aero.

Depends if they shave. :p

Advertisement

#40 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:04

That engine sounds like a banshee wailing as it drags you to hell. Visceral.

If the V6T has to go, then need to go the whole hog and go to V10s.

#41 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:10

Went twice - 2010 and 2011.

Both brilliant weekends. Loved Alonso winning for Ferrari in 2010 and seeing an MSC masterclass (of sorts) in 2011 was a joy to behold.

#42 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:36

Damon Hill passed Jean Alesi for the lead here on the first lap in 1996.

#43 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 13:25

2009 Jenson vs Heikki.

#44 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,601 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 15:42

Damon Hill passed Jean Alesi for the lead here on the first lap in 1996.

2009 Jenson vs Heikki.

Watched these. While in itself fine overtakes they don't exactly look spectacular.

Best bet for anything ballsy would probably be outside Curva Grande like Nonesuch said or through Parabolica.

#45 JAW97

JAW97

• 219 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 15:46

To be honest I'm half expecting Williams to run a rear wing that's the same size as the bloody moon.

Edited by JAW97, 02 September 2015 - 15:48.

#46 surbjits

surbjits

• 943 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 16:37

orgasmic :lol:

#47 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 17:07

The MS clip is SO dreadful.

It shows everything what was wrong with F1.

Horroble looking tires, engine noise that gives a headache, but most of all playstation cars.

See MS throwing the car into second chicane and flooring it all over the bumps? Jep. traction control for the win. It was not driving, it was playing a videogame. He didnt have tonthink about applying those lovely V10 HP's, the computer did it for him.

Surprised people only look back to V10 era in awe while drivers had the worst driver aid there is. Very very happy they abonded it in 08.

#48 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 17:16

Press conference schedule:
Thurs drivers:
Rosberg, Vettel, Massa, Ricciardo, Ericsson, Sainz

Friday teams:
Arrivabene ! (Ferrari), Horner (Red Bull), Boullier (McLaren), Carter (Lotus), Fernley (Force India) and Hembrey (Pirelli)

#49 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 17:33

The MS clip is SO dreadful.

It shows everything what was wrong with F1.

Horroble looking tires, engine noise that gives a headache, but most of all playstation cars.

See MS throwing the car into second chicane and flooring it all over the bumps? Jep. traction control for the win. It was not driving, it was playing a videogame. He didnt have tonthink about applying those lovely V10 HP's, the computer did it for him.

Surprised people only look back to V10 era in awe while drivers had the worst driver aid there is. Very very happy they abonded it in 08.

Yet with that equalising tool, the same person won so often? It didn't change results much when it wasn't there either.

On the other hand, the steering input to keep the car where it needed to be when it wasn't traction limited? Not needed now.

Swings and roundabouts.

And probably more roundabouts.

Edited by oetzi, 02 September 2015 - 17:34.

#50 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 17:40

Press conference schedule:
Thurs drivers:
Rosberg, Vettel, Massa, Ricciardo, Ericsson, Sainz

Friday teams:
Arrivabene ! (Ferrari), Horner (Red Bull), Boullier (McLaren), Carter (Lotus), Fernley (Force India) and Hembrey (Pirelli)

I say 90 % of the questions for Vettel. Rosberg will get a few about his fatherhood. And thats it.