- - - - -

Temporary Curbing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 21:24

Anyone know how they set up temporary curbing for street circuits? Are they asphalt that is just torn up after the event or something reusable?

When we run our motorcycle events at Sears Point we have to cone off the T11 candy striping to prevent guys and girls from cutting the corner. Of course the cones closest to the apex end up getting knocked onto the track several times per weekend, creating chaos. Sears won't install a raised curb because that's right in the middle of the staging lanes for the drag strip.

Something made of a high density rubber seems ideal but I have a feeling that would be a DIY project given the unique shape of a race track corner. I could copy the shape with tubing and then create something from fiberglass pretty easily but durability and keeping it in place gets challenging.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

#2 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 14:28

If you can make it from F glass, there are a huge amount of high-density 2-part rubber compounds that could be poured into the same (or similar) mould. A high-density rubber should have a decent combination of weight and stiction to keep it in place while being durable enough to withstand the weekend, while still being removable.

Edited by Canuck, 10 September 2015 - 14:29.

#3 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 17:22

Yeah I thought about that. Lots of (unpaid :( ) labor to go the extra step of making a female mould though. Thought i'd look for an off the shelf solution first.

#4 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 16:39

Temporary street courses usually have some sort of removable curbing. The road will have some sort of 'nut-sert' type thing set in concrete and then they'll bolt big nylon/polyurethane curbs into it. Some places will have concrete curbs in some places that stay there all year long. Long Beach, for instance, has some concrete curbs in turns 9 and 10 (just before the hairpin) that are permanent, but that part of the track is used as a parking lot, not an active city street.

Years ago, I did a big kart race in a parking lot that had temporary curbing. They used 1/4" steel plate with 1" angle welded to it (point up). I think they thought people would drive around them, but we were clouting them lap after lap. To give you an idea of the forces involved, after a couple days, the angle pieces started to get ripped off the steel plate and they had to red flag some sessions to fix them.

#5 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:23

Anyone know how they set up temporary curbing for street circuits? Are they asphalt that is just torn up after the event or something reusable?

When we run our motorcycle events at Sears Point we have to cone off the T11 candy striping to prevent guys and girls from cutting the corner. Of course the cones closest to the apex end up getting knocked onto the track several times per weekend, creating chaos. Sears won't install a raised curb because that's right in the middle of the staging lanes for the drag strip.

Something made of a high density rubber seems ideal but I have a feeling that would be a DIY project given the unique shape of a race track corner. I could copy the shape with tubing and then create something from fiberglass pretty easily but durability and keeping it in place gets challenging.

Any ideas?

Whatever you do you will have to bolt/ screw/ glue it down. And there unfortunatly is your problem.

Temporary kerbing normally is concrete that is ripped up after the event. On occasion it has broken up!

Tractor tyres will stop them hitting/ shortening the corners. Not ideal for riders though! 

Tyre bundles though maybe with some conveyer belting [air fence?] attached

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 29 September 2015 - 23:10.

#6 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 20:59

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think we'll look at just going without cones for a Saturday practice and exhibition races first and keep an eye out for track cuts. If it's an issue then we'll put the cones back for Sunday.

Sears might be open to a few drop in anchors since that area is never used as a live piece of track, only for the motorcycle T11 curbing and dragster staging. If I can do a small piece of curbing from fiberglass with a couple of reinforced bolt holes we'd be good.

#7 imaginesix

imaginesix

• 7,525 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 22:21

Hay bales.

For motorcycles they won't easily get tossed aside when a rider brushes up against them.

#8 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 23:12

Hay bales.

For motorcycles they won't easily get tossed aside when a rider brushes up against them.

Have you seen the price of hay lately!

Actually a very good suggestion. Old time come back to play.

#9 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,888 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:57

Well, we used to use them to mark out of bounds.

https://youtu.be/HYpmcrP_Z9g