- - - - -

Button confirmed at McLaren for 2016

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
808 replies to this topic

#1 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:36

British driver Jenson Button is expected to announce his Formula 1 retirement this weekend in Japan during the Grand Prix weekend in Suzuka. After 16 seasons in Formula 1, it looks like the end of his career in the highest class of motorsport.

At the start of this season the 35 year old racing driver agreed a new deal with McLaren. While negotiations were going on during the season about extending his contract, it's reported he is ready to call time on his career. The 2009 world champion in Formula 1 has achieved 15 race victories out of 278 starts. This amount makes him the third most experienced driver in the history of Formula 1.

The Briton wants to announce his retirement in Japan because of his fondness for the Japanese Grand Prix and country, while his wife Jessica is Japanese. Among the local supporters, Jenson Button has always been very popular in Japan as well.

I hope it's not true guys.  :well:

http://www.f1today.n...ement-in-japan?

Edited by Mc_Silver, 21 September 2015 - 11:36.

Advertisement

#2 Equinox1

Equinox1

• 214 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:38

Sad if true, he is still one of the best drivers on the grid.

#3 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:39

Selfishly I hope it is true because I'd love to see him as a co-host on Top Gear, and racing in WEC. 

I don't see much point hanging around in F1 for him now, McLaren are in a rebuilding phase and the competitive seats are locked up for next year. 

#4 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:41

I completely understand Button in this case.

Considering that McLaren seems to have some financial short fall, next year most likely still not having a championship winning car, why should Button race for a fraction of his worth in F1? He's a smart guy after all.

There are other racing series were he can have at least a real chance at winning races and still have a decent income.

Edited by HP, 21 September 2015 - 11:43.

#5 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:42

If true, he will be missed.

I was hoping he would join Ferrari next year (before they sign Ricciardo or Verstappen in 2017/18) to have another go in a good car.

#6 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:47

His pit radio sounds awful. I hope he will sound better when he joins the BBC commentating crew.

#7 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:49

why should Button race for a fraction of his worth in F1? He's a smart guy after all.

There are other racing series were he can have at least a real chance at winning races and still have a decent income.

In F1 (and life) you are worth what people will pay for you, and if that is what they are paying.....

Nice guy though he appears to be, I don't think many teams look at him now and say 'here is a guy who can turn our fortunes around/is worth investing in for the future'

#8 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:50

The right decision...I am mindful that this is a daily mail story but it kinda rings true. I'd much rather see him in WEC. McLaren won't be good for years I think and F1 itself is in a strange place anyway.

Will have to start looking into how to watch WEC now.

#9 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 2,285 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:52

His pit radio sounds awful. I hope he will sound better when he joins the BBC commentating crew.

God I hope he doesn't go there :/

#10 4Wheeldrift

4Wheeldrift

• 228 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:54

Given the nature of this season, all he can look forward to at McLaren next year is helping ALO's career as he isn't going to see much benefit from an improved McLaren.

Shame if true as a talented champion with excellent variable grip skills - probably the best out there. But he's had a great run and he's lucky it went on as long as it did.  After all by his own admission here turned up in F1 about 4 years too early.

#11 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,065 posts

Too early, such a shame. :|

#12 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,968 posts

He has had a very good run for many years, raced for top teams, won races and was World Champion.

Now he is stuck with an uncompetitive car, and is being badly squeezed by a team that cannot really afford him and which has at least two young replacements lined up.

Very understandable if he were to retire; from F1 or completely.

#13 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 273 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:55

Not many open seats in WEC though.

Personally, I can see him taking a Honda seat in Super GT next season, it's a very well paid and exciting series

#14 F1Gui

F1Gui

• 287 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:56

It will be a sad day if its true but one which I can completely understand. He's at the tail end of his career and for the last 3 years Mclaren have been moving backwards down the grid. Even if he was to stay on for another few years he knows all the race winning cars will be taken and therefore highly unlikely he will ever win another race let alone compete for another championship ever again. Knowing all that and also being put under pressure to take a pay cut must be quite demoralising.

He's made his millions and will always have options in other racing series where he can be more in with a chance of winning.

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:01

Public Address Announcement

Mr. Jenson Button; Please report to the nearest and best remunerating TV Commentary Box.

Thank you..

Jp

#16 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:02

Disappointing if true as I've always wanted him to do well as he just seems very positive. He may not be in the same class as Schumacher (in his first F1 stint), Vettel etc but he's still a blood good driver, especially in terms of his feel for the car in difficult conditions, usually being one of the first to switch to inters/dry tyres and gaining massively as a result. Very popular driver though, and hopefully he'll go and do something else when he does retire from F1 (whether it's this year or any other year).

Probably the right decision though, as being honest, even though Honda still have some tokens for this year and they'll have some for next year (so will the other teams though), the possible money shortfall due to having a terrible season means in reality, I think next year at best he'd be scrabbling round for 8th or 9th occasionally if he's lucky, and by the time the car is in any sort of position to fight for podiums or wins on pure pace and merit, it'll be with young stars (and maybe Alonso) in the car, so he won't be fighting for much really. I think you can tell as well that he's not enjoying himself, even though he keeps smiling for the cameras, but with what he says, how he looks etc, he just doesn't come across as someone enjoying himself, and if you don't enjoy it, it's best to leave.

Hopefully he'll race in another series somewhere though. I think (I'm not sure?) he's said before about wanting to do Le Mans one day, so could definitely see him heading to the WEC and Le Mans if that is the case. Deserves a lot of respect though, and if he does announce his retirement this weekend, hopefully he can 'celebrate' by getting a point or 2 both in Suzuka and also Abu Dhabi for his final race.

#17 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:06

Oh and just for reference, I saw it mentioned this weekend that apparently he said he wouldn't be involved in F1 coverage full time, but maybe more as an occasional guest pundit for example.

#18 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,862 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:08

He sounds so demoralized on the radio, it isn't a surprise.

Such a shame, I'd have loved it if Ferrari has replaced Kimi with him for a year.

#19 Peat

Peat

• 8,864 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:10

About time, but a shame he has to go on the back of this woeful season. 

Advertisement

#20 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:11

Go win Le Mans Jenson. It's too early to retire from racing just yet, and we can wait a few years before you start commentating.

Eddie was right again though. Button certainly did seem like he had just decided his future in Singapore.

Edited by Fastcake, 21 September 2015 - 12:12.

#21 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:12

I have never rated Button and still don't, but he deserves better than the way McLaren treated him last year and he deserves a better car than the McLaren, maybe see him with Webber as teams mates?  ;)

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 21 September 2015 - 12:44.

#22 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:18

Said it in another thread - F1 is going to be a lesser places without personalities like JB and Webber etc

#23 omgwtf

omgwtf

• 58 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:19

If true shame, all round good guy and very competent, professional racer, I'll miss him. Gutted his last season spent driving around in such a bag of shite...

If he calls time on driving it'd be nice to see him on Sky, replace that clown Johnny Herbert..

#24 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:20

I like Button, but he's never struck me as a funny man type. Not sure how he fits into Top Gear unless they're taking a slightly more serious route.

#25 BlinkyMcSquinty

BlinkyMcSquinty

• 862 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:22

This is pure speculation without any supporting facts. The one and only fact we can work with is that Button just recently stated that McLaren would be his last Formula One team. But that doesn't mean he will retire right now.

Reasons why he may stay on: 1) he would be paid more than doing any TV commentator. 2) Any driver would rather be driving than talking about it. 3) His esteemed team mate is not mopping the floor with his face. 4) If by some miracle Honda start getting it right and actually have a respectable power unit for 2016, the team will definitely require a driver fully capable of maximizing the opportunities and points available. They already have one in Alonso, Button would supplement that line up. The worst thing to do is that after these last few embarrassing years is to finally miss out on the opportunity to get points because of a driver not capable of doing so.

It all depends on what will happen to Magnussen. He either gets a drive in next year's McLaren or walks away to another team. That will decide Button's future.

#26 AmnGoogly87

AmnGoogly87

• 140 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:24

The source is Daily Mail so yea ... I'll wait before saying my goodbyes to JB's career. I hope he stays because I've been a fan of his from the beginning, but if he wants to retire I'll support him 100% as always.

#27 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

If true shame, all round good guy and very competent, professional racer, I'll miss him. Gutted his last season spent driving around in such a bag of shite...

If he calls time on driving it'd be nice to see him on Sky, replace that clown Johnny Herbert..

They seem to idolise Herbert on Sky so not much chance of that.

#28 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Nope, sorry, until I hear it directly from Jenson (via my TV) I don't believe he won't be in a Mclaren next year

#29 Button4life

Button4life

• 6,067 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:25

Very sad for the team and the sport. He's a great driver and a great person. In my opninion it's the right decision to leave the sport. McLaren won't win anything untill 2017

#30 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:27

If this becomes a reality it would be a great shame, but it would make sense. McLaren are going nowhere, they're going to be in financial trouble soon (losing sponsors, very little TV money) and he surely doesn't want another year like 2015. He may as well hang it up now and move to a series where he can find new motivation.

If he does retire, it doesn't look good for McLaren. He wouldn't walk away from a team that's shaping up to a much better 2016...

Edited by RedBaron, 21 September 2015 - 12:29.

#31 omgwtf

omgwtf

• 58 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:28

They seem to idolise Herbert on Sky so not much chance of that.

I don't get it, I cringe when he performs an interview. No depth to any of his questions and very repetitive.

#32 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:31

The 'action highlights' clip will be brief...

#33 kvyatfan

kvyatfan

• 513 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:31

Kind of a crap season to end it, but would be hard to spend another year with the nonsense.

#34 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:34

I won't believe it until Eddie Jordan tells us.

#35 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:38

If he announces his retirement, I hope he gives us a great quote like "I just don't fancy spending the last years of my F1 career in a backmarker team". His departure is a big vote of no confidence in the McLaren-Honda project.

Edited by topical, 21 September 2015 - 12:39.

#36 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:42

I don't get it, I cringe when he performs an interview. No depth to any of his questions and very repetitive.

He offers no insight into anything.

If Button did replace him, hopefully they would replace Croft, Hill and Lazenby at the same time.

Maybe Button will do something out with Motorsport completely?

#37 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,387 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:42

If he announces his retirement, I hope he gives us a great quote like "I just don't fancy spending the last years of my F1 career in a backmarker team". His departure is a big vote of no confidence in the McLaren-Honda project.

I dont think his retirement will be down to that. Schumi wouldn't have retired if he knew Mercedes would be that competitive to give u an example.

#38 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:43

Story based on a lack of commitment from both Button and McLaren over the weekend during interviews. I would say from having watched the interviews that there is pushing and shoving over contractual points going on - probably money and the duration of the extension.  

Edited by MirNyet, 21 September 2015 - 12:44.

#39 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:44

I'll believe it when he confirms it himself. With the season McLaren have had so far, JB and Alonso have been almost invisible. I already miss them.

Advertisement

#40 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,960 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:52

I guess he's had one bad season too many. McLaren has been dreadful not just this year, but the last two as well. And with seemingly no progress coming from Honda any time soon, it's understandable.

If it's true, I look forward to hearing what he does next. No doubt he has plenty of options open to him, inside the cockpit and out of it. Also, it'll be interesting to see who McLaren have as his replacement, Magnussen or Vandoorne.

#41 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:55

I always like Webber and to be honest I don't miss him anymore, probably is going to be the same with Jenson, but he is a solid driver and a classy guy, F1 will lose an asset for sure. Soon Massa and Alonso will join him too, max 1-2 years. The old guard is retiring.

#42 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:55

Nope, sorry, until I hear it directly from Jenson (via my TV) I don't believe he won't be in a Mclaren next year

Would an official statement released on both the McLaren website and Button's personal website stating he won't be driving for them next year do?

#43 pRy

pRy

• 26,345 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:56

Story based on a lack of commitment from both Button and McLaren over the weekend during interviews. I would say from having watched the interviews that there is pushing and shoving over contractual points going on - probably money and the duration of the extension.  

I think it's more than that. The guys on Sky said this weekend they believed he was a man who had made up his mind.. but didn't say any more than that. Although Martin did ask Ron on the grid about a new contract.. which would suggest he hasn't been told he's leaving.

With each interview i've seen him do in recent races the interest has been draining from him. Traditionally he is the driver who puts a positive on things but he doesn't even do that anymore. I think it's easier for Alonso to do that because he's being paid handsomely to put up with it.. but you can tell Jenson has had enough.

If he does leave at least he can go and try something new. Webber says he has never looked back since he made his decision.

#44 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:59

If in fact he does retire this year he will retire as a World Champion and the last McLaren driver to win a GP. For a driver that many fans think of as average, he has performed very well against the like of Hamilton and Alonso.

#45 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 13:00

:(  A shame.

Oh well, racing in WEC should be more fun for Button anyway.  :)

#46 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,224 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 13:03

He is such a likeable British guy. I will miss him much

93089.jpg

#47 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 13:26

I always like Webber and to be honest I don't miss him anymore, probably is going to be the same with Jenson, but he is a solid driver and a classy guy, F1 will lose an asset for sure. Soon Massa and Alonso will join him too, max 1-2 years. The old guard is retiring.

Aye, it does have that "changing of the guard" feel about it at the minute. I think that if next year's McLaren is a dog then Alonso will be off. Raikkonen at the end of 2016 too. Then the old guard will consist of Vettel and Hamilton, and that makes me feel very old.

#48 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,960 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 13:38

I think it's more than that. The guys on Sky said this weekend they believed he was a man who had made up his mind.. but didn't say any more than that. Although Martin did ask Ron on the grid about a new contract.. which would suggest he hasn't been told he's leaving.

It was something Ted Kravitz talked about. Not sure if it was on the notebook on Saturday or Sunday, but he believes Button will retire. Apparently Jenson had made some comment along the lines of 'it's emotional, but I can't talk about it at the moment'. Kravitz wondered why would it be emotional if he was continuing.

The Telegraph is also reporting this now, so it's more than just the Mail.

http://www.telegraph...ormula-One.html

Edited by JHSingo, 21 September 2015 - 13:44.

#49 toolish

toolish

• 166 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 13:39

I like Button, but he's never struck me as a funny man type. Not sure how he fits into Top Gear unless they're taking a slightly more serious route.

I thought he was pretty funny in the post qualifying show on Sky F1: https://www.youtube....h?v=KHYXNKQ4ynY

And even in the race: "Do you want me to rub my tummy & pat my head, as well?" I had to laugh at that one.

Edited by toolish, 21 September 2015 - 13:40.

#50 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 13:40

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Button called it a day. The way McLaren handled his contract last year doesn't seem like something anyone would enjoy going through again.

He has sounded rather divorced from the whole ordeal for a while now. It could be just adding some humour to the general misery, but it sounds more like resignation to me.

Button had a pretty rocky start to his career, came into his own at BAR in 2004 - then entered a few dark years and managed to make the most of the questionable 'innovative' Brawn.

But more impressive than that, I think, was his choice to jump ship and join Hamilton at 'his' McLaren. Better yet, I'm quite sure the final tally of their years together surprised even Jenson's fans. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 21 September 2015 - 13:41.