Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

What do F1 test drivers do to keep themselves sharp?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,687 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 15:12

F1 test drivers often aren't racing in any series, and with limited testing actually available surely their skills will only deteriorate over time. I know they go in the simulator, but surely that's not enough on its own.

I read a headline recently saying that Kevin Magnussen thinks he's now a better driver. How's he going to get better by not racing? How would he even know if he's better? When did Susie Wolff last race anything?

We all saw what happened to Luca Badoer when he drove for Ferrari in 2009. Obviously that's an extreme case, but surely these drivers should be racing something shouldn't they?

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 15:24

Instagram

#3 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 15:26

They polish the main driver's boots.

#4 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 15:28

F1 test drivers often aren't racing in any series, and with limited testing actually available surely their skills will only deteriorate over time. I know they go in the simulator, but surely that's not enough on its own.

I read a headline recently saying that Kevin Magnussen thinks he's now a better driver. How's he going to get better by not racing? How would he even know if he's better? When did Susie Wolff last race anything?

We all saw what happened to Luca Badoer when he drove for Ferrari in 2009. Obviously that's an extreme case, but surely these drivers should be racing something shouldn't they?

no because that's not their job, that's the job of the reserve driver. Test (or simulator) drivers are there to try out branches in the simulator, what happens if I change this and this, or this and that other thing, things the race team doesn't have the track time to try.

#5 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 15:35

I was gonna write something that rhymes with tank...... but I don't want another ASBO.

For the record: In the late 90's to early 2000's it was superkarting. Same power to weight ratio, grip, etc. Schuey loved it. They also could pummel around with the "test team" for hours in a pukka car.

Now: Simulators and the gym. The current generation 5ax of Sims are off the scale. Completely mind-blowing.

I wish I had the money (and the time). 

#6 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 16:14

Guess they spend a lot of time in the simulator. It must be so naff to be a test driver, though. It'd be great if they were allowed to run a third car on Fridays, but I don't know if it's feasible with the costs that'd involve.

#7 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,687 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 17:40

no because that's not their job, that's the job of the reserve driver. Test (or simulator) drivers are there to try out branches in the simulator, what happens if I change this and this, or this and that other thing, things the race team doesn't have the track time to try.

But surely it's in their own interests to retain the ability to race. If it's someone's job to be cut off from racing and possibly gradually lose the ability to race, why would you do it? Maybe they see it as an opportunity, but I think it's unfair of the teams to prevent them from keeping up their racing skills.

#8 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,717 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 17:43

I think it is different between drivers. Some even produce babies to stay sharp  :p :up:

#9 taran

taran

• 4,464 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:32

The main role for the test driver/reserve driver/third driver etc. is to be able to step in the car at a moment's notice. That requires a lot of accumulated knowledge of the team's operating procedures, car systems and steering wheel and engine systems.

Much of this is learnt driving the simulator and the rest by being with the team during actual race weekends, so they learn the rhythm of such a weekend, how things are prepared and built up for qualifying and the race.

But without any actual racing, the pure racing skills atrophy so its a job that can only be done for a year or so without a complimentary racing programme in another series.

Why did Williams hire Sutil? Because Wolff might know how the car works but she can't race it properly due to lack of racing sharpness and in her case talent IMO. Sutil, perhaps not the most talented either, has recent experience in racing and the V6 engine systems under racing conditions.

Why does Magnussen think he's a better driver now? Because he can now take the time to study why the McLaren team operate in a certain way and how they prepare and build up for a race weekend. And he can observe Alonso. When you are a rookie race driver, you probably don't have that time to truly study and absorb what you are doing.

All in all, serving as a test driver is good for a year because you can learn the ropes while acting as an understudy. But if you stay an understudy too long, you will never be a star yourself...

Edited by taran, 23 September 2015 - 08:32.

#10 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:43

Back when it was fun it might have been things like this

harp-lager.jpg

hue6ch66njcvfatp7mdn.jpg

and

hot-women-vs-fast-cars-220x130.jpg

But now it's probably just
bull.jpeg

proplus.gif