Photo

"An error occurred. You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day".

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 22:21

What??? I'm home sick in bed reading hundreds of posts to pass the time, and I can't give posts that I enjoyed a vote of confidence because I've already done it for others?  I love this place and have been lurking here since the 90's, but I must say that this is totally lame. What on earth is the point of limiting how many posts you can affirm? Makes no sense & I hope the Mods consider removing this completely artificial and irrelevant limit. 

Thank you for hearing my rant.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,494 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 22:27

We've long been struggling with this problem in the disgusting salon of mutual backrubbing that are the Indycar threads.

I suggest the workaround of quoting a line of the pleasant post and adding a suitable emoticon.

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:19

Hmmn, now that I've spent one of my precious likes on Risil's post, I will pop in to say I didn't realise there was a limit, nor what it is. No doubt testament to my essentially begrudging and ungenerous nature in all things.

I will ask the admins.

#4 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:59

I suggest the workaround of quoting a line of the pleasant post and adding a suitable emoticon.

:up:

#5 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:00

Actually, I always rather disliked posts like the ones above.  The whole like thing's been good for getting rid of them.  An increase in the limit seems good to me.

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:59

Actually, I always rather disliked posts like the ones above.  The whole like thing's been good for getting rid of them.  An increase in the limit seems good to me.

This.

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,494 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:07

This.

):

#8 BRG

BRG

• 25,893 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 16:49

I think the OP should stop being so nice to others.  Unleash your inner b******!

#9 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,170 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 20:29

Give CravenM a break. He was laid up sick, poor dear. :kiss:

FWIW, bumping into limits of this kind (quotes, likes, etc.) always prompts bemusement on my part - and a measure of agreement with the need to place some boundaries on immoderation. To hell with Blake's palace of wisdom. :cool:

Edited by Zmeej, 23 September 2015 - 21:37.

#10 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,170 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 21:24

SophieB :wave:

Hmmn, now that I've spent one of my precious likes on Risil's post, I will pop in to say I didn't realise there was a limit, nor what it is. No doubt testament to my essentially begrudging and ungenerous nature in all things.

You are a worthy inheritrix of PitBabe's mantle. :up: :)

I will ask the admins.

Be sure to consult yourself, too.  ;)

#11 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,170 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 21:27

Risil :wave:

We've long been struggling with this problem in the disgusting salon of mutual backrubbing that are the Indycar threads.

:up: :lol:

Yeah. Too much goddamn bonhomie in them threads. :cool:

Barkin' Farkin' A. :up: :smoking:

Edited by Zmeej, 23 September 2015 - 21:37.

#12 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:04

Thank you all for your input. It's most appreciated. Hoping for unlimited positive votes are coming our way.  :up:

#13 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:14

GRRRRRRRR!!!  :mad:

After two freakin' days of that first error message (so much for a 24 hr period), now on the third day, all I get is this:

"An error occurred. There was a problem storing your reputation vote."

Three days of this rubbish? Colour me unimpressed. 

Edited by Craven Morehead, 24 September 2015 - 02:17.

#14 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:16

I guess I have no options but to follow Risil's fine advice and clog up threads with quotes & smilies. Or maybe I should just do as BRG says, and revert to my regular grumpety self. 

#15 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:45

After two freakin' days of that first error message (so much for a 24 hr period), now on the third day, all I get is this:

I don't know what is up with that error message. I think I had that one once, and think logging out and logging back into my account made it go away.

#16 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:52

Also, I did ask the admins if the number of 'likes' is one of the settings they have the power to review/adjust and it isn't, sorry so I guess any potential adjustment would need to be done by the software developers. I have no idea how big a change that would represent, nor what the rest of their current workload might be.

I think it makes sense there's *some* limit from a system stability point of view. Even Twitter has a daily limit of 'refreshes', for example but I confess I am speculating about this being the rationale for the current limit.

#17 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 17:30

Oddly I have never run into the 'Like' limit here, but regularly do so on another forum that also uses IPBoard software.  I don't think I try and like more posts there than here, so I wonder if it's sort of tied to the number of posts a user has made on the forum (I've made very few on the other forum I mentioned), but then again that piece of conjecture makes little sense when I consider that Mr Morehead has in excess of 4,700 posts here.

Oh well, I think it just behoves me to allot smilies on the basis of whether a post was liked or disliked in this thread.  I'll let you figure out which belongs to which:  :drunk: :up: :down: :stoned: :kiss: :eek: :smoking: :lol:

Neil

#18 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 17:31

Sophie, Thankyou kindly for taking time to look into it and explain the circumstances. I appreciate that. If it was reasonably easy I thought we could make a change, but does not seem to be the case. Thanks again to all who weighed in.

#19 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 20:32

I get that error all the time, it seems to happen when my cell signal is weak.

Advertisement

#20 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 16:02

Ok. So here I am again. The system has been telling me I have used up all my likes for today for TWO days now.

Firstly let me say that arbitrary limits on something this innocuous borders on the absurd. Secondly, the damn arbitrary limit system is broken. Very lame.

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,769 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 17:03

Ok. So here I am again. The system has been telling me I have used up all my likes for today for TWO days now.

Firstly let me say that arbitrary limits on something this innocuous borders on the absurd. Secondly, the damn arbitrary limit system is broken. Very lame.

Try clearing your cache and all Autosport cookies. There's something odd going on in your case, because - in response to a similar complaint from Zmeej - I recently bumped up the daily limit for Paddock Club members. AFAIK not even he has hit the new daily limit!

The 'like' system has some uses within board security, which for obvious reasons I don't intend to clarify. And while 'arbitrary', the limit - even for non-PC members - is generous.

#22 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 19:39

Thank you. I will give this a try.

#23 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,277 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 23:50

Thumbs up for the new daily limit for Paddock Club members. I like it :D

#24 Tsarwash

Tsarwash