Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Ron Dennis giving Alonso private ear tweaking?

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#1 scandyman

scandyman

• 180 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 13:39

https://translate.go...t-text=&act=url

"we talk about it in private - "I would say that Fernando was not very constructive - said the owner of the McLaren to Sky Sports UK, responding to a question sull'imbarazzo created by those words - we present here the leaders of Honda and are all committed to make winning this challenge. But he is a rider who thrives on adrenaline and passion for racing, if there is frustration can happen so I would not be too mad at him for what he said. I do not apologize, but you can not blame pilots for their frustration, we'll talk about behind closed doors. "

What do u think? Did Alonso cross the line or is he just giving constructive critism ??? Or is this just start of coming armageddon?

Advertisement

#2 Sonic2k

Sonic2k

• 261 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 13:42

What do u think? 

I think this thread is ridiculous.

#3 RedFury

RedFury

• 327 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 13:45

What are you looking for here that  hasn't been said in the McLaren thread? Dirty underwear?

#4 4Wheeldrift

4Wheeldrift

• 228 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 13:46

ALO was a bit stupid to come out with that "GP2 engine"  stuff, but then his career has been blighted by his relationships with teams - apart from Renault of course.  And who knows, maybe a works Renault could be were he goes next.

#5 scandyman

scandyman

• 180 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:21

I think this thread is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? We have seen this behavior before and if we follow pattern, we know where it might end.

#6 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:21

Let's all bash McLaren.

#7 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:22

Why is it ridiculous? We have seen this behavior before and if we follow pattern, we know where it might end.

I hope it ends soon, this thread that is.

#8 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,434 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:28

He did'nt really say this to the press/public, it was a radio comment for his team, which happened to have come to our ears.

#9 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 850 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:30

I hope it ends soon, this thread that is.

Normally, yes. As soon as possible.

But I actually think (as a McLaren supporter) that Alonso's mini-rant is a talking point on its own. It seemed to me to be quite deliberate that he said it at Suzuka when surely he has been feeling the same frustration for months now.

Can't blame him when he's being blown away by almost anyone who's close enough to take a pop at him.

#10 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:36

But I actually think (as a McLaren supporter) that Alonso's mini-rant is a talking point on its own. It seemed to me to be quite deliberate that he said it at Suzuka when surely he has been feeling the same frustration for months now.

Can't blame him when he's being blown away by almost anyone who's close enough to take a pop at him.

It was still highly unprofessional and downright insulting to his employers. I don't want drivers to always be PR robots, but this was probably a bit much and I hope he at least felt bad about it afterwards. I'm quite prone to frustration myself at times, but you repress outbursts when you're at work. When I'm home, yea, "**** this god damn router, piece of ****, why the hell cant **** simply do what it says on the box?!?!?!"

#11 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:40

Well now if he'd have said "It was like a horrible truck to drive," "No pleasure at all." he'd be out of a drive for the rest of the year!

#12 pRy

pRy

• 26,317 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:45

He did'nt really say this to the press/public, it was a radio comment for his team, which happened to have come to our ears.

Of course he did. He is a driver of 249 Grand Prix. He knows all too well that the juicy driver to pit radio messages are always played to the viewers at home. Radio messages have not been private for some years now. He knows that. 

Edited by pRy, 27 September 2015 - 14:45.

#13 GTA

GTA

• 2,580 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:47

Agree completely. When I heard the 1st rant by Alonso, I thought he was venting out. But the 2nd one seemed pre-planned. He was in Japan, home of the engine-maker and no better place to humiliate the engine maker in their own homeland. Looks like he is past his breaking point. Button seems like he doesn't care anymore and wants this to be over ASAP. The drivers these days look like they just want to show up, drive the car for 300km or as long as the engine lasts and go home.

#14 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,229 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:50

I'm no fan of Alonso but I don't see why he shouldn't say out loud what's evident for all to see: That Honda pu is Gp2 material. At best.

#15 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:52

Later, when explaining the outburst, he modestly added, "Obviously it's frustrating how they overtake you on the straights and then you arrive at the corner and you see them braking late, making mistakes - you take the corner perfectly and you are recovering time and they just overtake you on the straights."

#16 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,547 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 14:58

I'm no fan of Alonso but I don't see why he shouldn't say out loud what's evident for all to see: That Honda pu is Gp2 material. At best.

There's a protocol to follow in any organization, Alonso has put himself above Ron Dennis ... does Alonso pay the bills, is he going to take the backlash of calls that will be coming from Honda.

Alonso has not done the "TEAM" any favours.

#17 4Wheeldrift

4Wheeldrift

• 228 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:05

ALO knew full well what he was saying, where he was saying and the audience that would hear it.  He does, after all, have plenty of time to think of things heading down the straights at the moment  :drunk:

I am impressed he has kept as much of his council as he has - he does not have a good track record on team relationships - I expected him to blow up earlier and more violently than this.  It's one of his major weaknesses.

I thought BUT who had to then face the "do you agree" questions handled it much better.  BUT discussed a talking point (being passed on both sides into turn one) and explained a key difference between himself and Ricardo Zonta - that Zonta had backed off to let Hakkinnen and MSC through, whereas BUT had his foot the floor but no further power.  He then, when faced with the direct question about ALO's comments simply said that it was clear that the team had a lot of work to do etc.

ALOs comments help no one, other than telling the world that it isn't his lack of talent that is the reason he is getting overtaken.  We all know that.  So his comments only help to hurt more the people who are trying to provide him with the platform for his next world championship.

#18 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:07

Later, when explaining the outburst, he modestly added, "Obviously it's frustrating how they overtake you on the straights and then you arrive at the corner and you see them braking late, making mistakes - you take the corner perfectly and you are recovering time and they just overtake you on the straights."

I don't think anybody is questioning whether he should be frustrated or not. It's how he handled it.

#19 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:07

Good for Alonso to tell it like it is.

Advertisement

#20 shmoo

shmoo

• 162 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:08

A slight ruffle of his Alonso beards perhaps?

#21 Norm

Norm

• 573 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:10

BS. Last weekend we heard Button mouth off and nothing was made of it.

#22 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,333 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:12

sure...are you so naif?

After all this year knowing what to expect Alonso comments weren't done at heat of the moment. It was a political declaration. Timed for the place.

That said i have not any problems with that comment, Honda deserves harsh criticism.

#23 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:12

Alonso is a very political driver - those messages were for the whole of Honda and their board to hear at their home GP - it was for them and them alone to hear and he is trying to kick start them into throwing more resource at their PU.

#24 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:14

Obviously Alonso is frustrated (as are many fans) with the ridiculous form of the McLaren-Honda, but to publicly bash the Honda engine at their home event on "their" track for a major loss of face (with all the Big Cheeses of Honda in attendance), in front of the assembled Japanese automobile world was nothing less than poor judgment on his part, and indeed makes me wonder whether he has already decided to GTFO at the end of this season...

Edited by maximilian, 27 September 2015 - 15:16.

#25 Norm

Norm

• 573 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:16

Let's all bash McLaren.

No, no. This is just an opportunity for the british to bash the hell out of Alonso. Button said some pretty strong stuff last week but because it's Jenson it is ok... :rolleyes:

#26 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

We bemoan the political correctness that pervades the paddock, then bemoan when one of them actually says what's on his mind.

#27 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

BS. Last weekend we heard Button mouth off and nothing was made of it.

And he did it today again, but he is always more polite. Not big deal in any case.

"We are so used to fighting whereas now it is not fighting . It is like a Samurai warrior without his armour and sword. It is very difficult."

#28 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,434 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:19

He already said Something similar at Canada, during the race. That's not even a new thing.

#29 4Wheeldrift

4Wheeldrift

• 228 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:23

He already said Something similar at Canada, during the race. That's not even a new thing.

In Canada he was angry at the timing of calls to save fuel - team operations.  In Japan he was making a crude comment that the custom built engine he was using was no better than an off the shelf spec engine from a lower formula.

#30 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,434 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:24

Sounded the same to me, he was telling the world how **** his PU is.

#31 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:25

Honda should take that message and do something about if they don't want this humiliation to continue next year. You are paying the best driver in the grid 40 million to drive this shitbox that lacks power and breaks down every other race.
I knew that once Mclaren and Merc went their seprate ways Ron would struggle big time to take his team to the top once again .

#32 revmeister

revmeister

• 811 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:41

If Honda can bear the humiliation of seeing their engines outclassed on the straights of their own track, I imagine they can endure Alonso's comments. If not there are some things they can do.

- replace Arai

- hire some outside help

- threaten to leave the sport if they are not to be allowed to catch up(something that seems to work for other teams, including Mercedes)

or

- fire Alonso

In fairness to Alonso, he was promised that after some early pain the car would become competitive in the second half of the season. It is now clear that there is not even much hope for next season.

Alonso has been lied to and he is not happy.

#33 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:46

Whatever Ron says in public it might actually suit McLaren if his drivers are moaning about the PU on the radio.

Not too often, obviously.

#34 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:48

Love how Ron tells in public he's going te tell off Alonso in private

#35 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,716 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:54

I think what Fernando Alonso said on the radio is exactly what McLaren wanted to say to Honda but didn't say to Honda because of keeping the good relationship. Fernando Alonso made it easy for McLaren and especially for Ron Dennis and Eric Boullier.

I guess Ron Dennis will give a big gift (a McLaren P1) to Fernando Alonso in private  :clap:

#36 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 15:59

Is Honda outraged, or just the Alonso haters?

#37 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:01

You made your bed, Fernando. Lie in it.

#38 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:03

Maybe this is what Honda needed, their star driver calling them out in their home race, to fix that POS of PU they have developed this year.

#39 stiffy

stiffy

• 40 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:05

Ron was happy to give Jenson a public slagging off in public last year.Its noticeable that since Ron regained control the team have gone downhill even more.

Advertisement

#40 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:14

I think what Fernando Alonso said on the radio is exactly what McLaren wanted to say to Honda but didn't say to Honda because of keeping the good relationship. Fernando Alonso made it easy for McLaren and especially for Ron Dennis and Eric Boullier.

I guess Ron Dennis will give a big gift (a McLaren P1) to Fernando Alonso in private :clap:

Up until now Honda haven't exactly been kicking and screaming to get themselves out of this situation quickly have they. I think McLaren will be a bit relieved of Alonso's performance on track today.

#41 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,069 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:14

No, no. This is just an opportunity for the british to bash the hell out of Alonso. Button said some pretty strong stuff last week but because it's Jenson it is ok... :rolleyes:

This always winds me up. One person made this thread, one. Not the whole bloody country.

Personally, I think he meant to say what he said, and personally, I don't blame him for it. After the amount of bollocks Ron Dennis spouted to the media last year about this season, God knows how much he filled Alonso with. He probably should have joined Button in the reasoned criticism in an interview though, I can't imagine driving an F1 car is conducive to well thought-out comments.

#42 dierome1987

dierome1987

• 92 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:16

Obviously Alonso is frustrated (as are many fans) with the ridiculous form of the McLaren-Honda, but to publicly bash the Honda engine at their home event on "their" track for a major loss of face (with all the Big Cheeses of Honda in attendance), in front of the assembled Japanese automobile world was nothing less than poor judgment on his part, and indeed makes me wonder whether he has already decided to GTFO at the end of this season...

Nah, it's not like it is not clear how poor the engine is. It may have been politically incorrect, but, if anything, it will only put more pressure on Honda to get out of the hole they find themselves in.

The embarassment doesn't come from Alonso's comment. To portray him as the villain here is ludicrous. The performance speaks by itself.

Edited by dierome1987, 27 September 2015 - 16:17.

#43 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:20

I don't think anybody is questioning whether he should be frustrated or not. It's how he handled it.

I agree, but was just pointing out that once he gets on a roll, his "modest" personality tends to come out more.

#44 AlexisBT

AlexisBT

• 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:21

Is Honda outraged, or just the Alonso haters?

I'm not a Alonso hater at all, he used to be amongst my favorite. What I don't like is the lack of professionalism. Alonso has been in mediocre terms with a few teams already and he keeps saying stuff like this. Which is not smart.

#45 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 3,391 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:21

Alonso got a hug in the motor-home from EB, I would imagine he is in for the same from RD.

#46 AlexisBT

AlexisBT

• 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:23

Nah, it's not like it is not clear how poor the engine is. It may have been politically incorrect, but, if anything, it will only put more pressure on Honda to get out of the hole they find themselves in.

The embarassment doesn't come from Alonso's comment. To portray him as the villain here is ludicrous. The performance speaks by itself.

Then why running your mouth if you're Alonso? Everyone knows Honda's PU isn't good enough to compete. He doesn't need to tell us all the time to justify being overtaken. BTW it was expected to see his car being overtaken on the track today.

Edited by AlexisBT, 27 September 2015 - 16:23.

#47 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:27

Why is Ron acting like this is the first day he knows Alonso? It's quite normal for Alonso to complain in public. Stupid, but that's his way i guess..

#48 4Wheeldrift

4Wheeldrift

• 228 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:31

I guess Ron Dennis will give a big gift (a McLaren P1) to Fernando Alonso in private  :clap:

This is an interesting point.  The natural assumption is that ALO thought this up during the race.  He might have thought it up before the race.  He might not have thought it up alone.  Or he might have thought it up alone but off the back of conversations he has had behind closed doors.

I am not really a fan of ALO - the politicking that he does being one of them - but he might have decided to "take one for the team".

#49 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,716 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:31

Surely Fernando Alonso knows something that we don't know. He is vocal because there is a need  :)  :up:

Edited by RYARLE, 27 September 2015 - 16:32.

#50 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,319 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 16:34

Just give hime a Honda stress ball for his cockpit, give him something to do on the long straights. Problem solved, problem staying solved, rangers lead the way!