* * * * * 1 votes

Allen: British GP at risk

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#1 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,679 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:42

I guess this is what Formula Money was talking about...

Future of British Grand Prix at risk, says track boss:

http://www.telegraph...track-boss.html

Edited by AustinF1, 27 September 2015 - 20:42.

Advertisement

#2 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:44

Its a plea to get money from government. Hopefully that doesnt happen.

#3 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:48

Yeah. Typical dross from Formula Money.

It's not even news.

Anyone who remotely pays attention to Silverstone knows they are under the cosh for money. It has been the case for many years, nothing substantial has changed in terms of income streams, the threat of losing the race is constant.

Ecclestone himself has said a few times that nobody can plan ahead for even five years, so did anyone really take seriously a contract to 2026.

It's just clickbait built up around a tiny interview where the boss say's they need investment. Nothing has changed in that respect, ergo it isn't news.

Once again Sylt and Reid confirm everything I've ever thought and wrote on here about them.

#4 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:49

I'm not a Brit but for the sake of British taxpayers, I hope government won't fund the event.

Honestly, F1 has been taking so many blows in recent years that I can't be fussed. Surely some dictator will pay more than Silverstone.

#5 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

British GP in doubt is hardly the biggest sporting story of the year! If that is what FormulaMoney was hinting at.

Will be a bloody outrage if they lose Monza AND Silverstone from the calendar. 

#6 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

I take it you want to see the British Grand Prix disappear?

#7 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:54

I liked my Steak pic better

Jp

#8 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:55

British GP in doubt is hardly the biggest sporting story of the year! If that is what FormulaMoney was hinting at.

Will be a bloody outrage if they lose Monza AND Silverstone from the calendar. 

+1 

#9 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:55

You think I'd support the idea of low income people subsidising a billionaire's travelling circus? Get a grip.

No GP should be state funded. It just artificially inflates the price for independants. You really think the government should pay for what is ABOVE the actual real market rate to host a GP??? A sport almost exclusively for millionaires???

It would be pure unjustified immoral insanity. It would be sad to see it go but I am no supporter of state subsidies.

#10 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:56

I liked my Steak pic better

Jp

Me too, thanks for that one  lol

#11 pdac

pdac

• 17,265 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:56

I take it you want to see the British Grand Prix disappear?

I would not wish to see the British Grand Prix to disappear, but I certainly think that it should not be government supported either (just like I don't think any GP should be government funded). I hope this iss a wake-up call to the teams to understand just where FOM are taking their sport. If Bernie et al do not help then, yes, I would reluctantly lose this GP.

#12 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:57

Government investment is such a cop out. I'm not even sure it would be legal under EU State Aid regulations. AFAIK Monza and other EU races received local council money, not government.

Anyway, even if they could circumvent State Aid regs, it just opens up the prospect of losing the race when funding gets pulled with minimal notice or when the current government ends, and also the race will inevitably end up a political pawn.

They need real business investment, it's the only way to secure a real future, not through piecemeal handouts that rely on the political climate from year to year.

#13 pdac

pdac

• 17,265 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 20:59

Government investment is such a cop out. I'm not even sure it would be legal under EU State Aid regulations. AFAIK Monza and other EU races received local council money, not government.

Anyway, even if they could circumvent State Aid regs, it just opens up the prospect of losing the race when funding gets pulled with minimal notice or when the current government ends, and also the race will inevitably end up a political pawn.

They need real business investment, it's the only way to secure a real future, not through piecemeal handouts that rely on the political climate from year to year.

No, Formula 1 need to get real about hosting fees.

#14 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:00

You think I'd support the idea of low income people subsidising a billionaire's travelling circus? Get a grip.

No GP should be state funded. It just artificially inflates the price for independants. You really think the government should pay for what is ABOVE the actual real market rate to host a GP??? A sport almost exclusively for millionaires???

It would be pure unjustified immoral insanity. It would be sad to see it go but I am no supporter of state subsidies.

You make a good case, but I wonder if you're supporting consigning the race for a moral purpose, when I doubt that nations such as Russia and China are going to stop subsidising their races.

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:00

Ah, I've missed the 'British GP in peril' stories for the last year or so.  Welcome back!

#16 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:03

This country has just removed tax credits for low income earners in the name of austerity and "balancing the books".

Subsidising a motor race would,be scandalous in such circumstances.

#17 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:06

This country has just removed tax credits for low income earners in the name of austerity and "balancing the books".

Subsidising a motor race would,be scandalous in such circumstances.

Can't we afford both?  I agree that the current Government subsidising the British Grand Prix would be unsupportable given their other policies, but I doubt doing both would render the country bankrupt.

#18 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:07

See also http://forums.autosp...ies-of-the-year post #26.

Bernie has laid an egg and invites the journos to peel it off.

#19 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:09

I just think it sends out the message that the government is prepared to throw money at something that is perceived to be swimming in income (F1) at a time when it is expecting people towards the bottom of the pile to,live on (even) less.

It is ridiculous that F1 can't afford to run its own events, but then CVC needs to extract its rent before all other considerations.

The financial model of F1 needs to demonstrate much greater sustainability and responsibility before government's get involved in funding it.

Advertisement

#20 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:10

Can't we afford both? I agree that the current Government subsidising the British Grand Prix would be unsupportable given their other policies, but I doubt doing both would render the country bankrupt.

Why should taxes of those not interested in F1 be used to fund the GP?

#21 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:11

"Biggest story of the year" LOL

#22 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:12

I fully agree. I'd rather pay less for my entry ticket.

But it's flogging a dead horse at the same time.

Since CVC, F1 is an item to be bought and sold. How can it ever go back from that? People say they want to see the back of CVC, but they never consider for a moment that to do so is merely to welcome the next investment company who will tighten the screws further.

#23 August

August

• 3,277 posts

The financial model of F1 needs to demonstrate much greater sustainability and responsibility before government's get involved in funding it.

Surely they already do in Bahrain, Russia, etc.

#24 pdac

pdac

• 17,265 posts

Can't we afford both?  I agree that the current Government subsidising the British Grand Prix would be unsupportable given their other policies, but I doubt doing both would render the country bankrupt.

It'll be okay if they involve China - China invests in the GP and the British government will throw a few more contracts Chinas way.

#25 pdac

pdac

• 17,265 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:19

I fully agree. I'd rather pay less for my entry ticket.

But it's flogging a dead horse at the same time.

Since CVC, F1 is an item to be bought and sold. How can it ever go back from that? People say they want to see the back of CVC, but they never consider for a moment that to do so is merely to welcome the next investment company who will tighten the screws further.

Yeah, but it's about calling bluffs. Regardless of what some people might say, Formula 1 is  a British series. Nearly all of the teams are based there. I think the impact of having no British Grand Prix would be huge for F1. Of course, what might well happen is that Bernie will try to do deal with another circuit in the UK. But he'd still want the top-spec facilities for the F1 elite and their guests. But Bernie always adopts the stance that F1 is doing you a favour (commercially as well as otherwise) by graciously allowing you the opportunity to host a GP and all of the circuits/countries seem to fall into line.

#26 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:22

After the Donny fiasco no track will touch F1

#27 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:23

Time for Silverstone ( and the other circuits) to grow a set and not pay the outrageous hosting fee. It's beyond a joke. Try making money from all the other series they host. While unfair, I always feel that all Silverstone care about is the British GP.

#28 4Wheeldrift

4Wheeldrift

• 228 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:33

Bernie will beat up the British GP whilst he believes he can screw more money out of it.  And if they can't pay he normally has a couple of events ready to step in.

Losing the British GP would be tragic for F1, just as losing Monza would.   But, even being a proud British GP lover, I am reaching the point were I am sick of the saga.  It's been going on for what 15 years?  More?  Wasn't the British GP going to be at Brands Hatch from about 2000?  Donnington about 10 years later?

Stuff it Bernie, Kim Jong-Un will build you a track, I am sure, and you can go back-to-back with another desert race as I believe there is a lot of flat land now available in Syria.

#29 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:38

I couldnt car less about losing the Grand Prix to be honest

It is a pathetically overpriced event, and it staggers me completely that people will pay that much to watch it.

But sadly the hosting fees of the event have meant a lot of other larger events at Silverstone have had their prices raised conspicuously since then, to recoup some of the hosting fee loss Silverstone makes. So, maybe losing the GP might bring the stupid place down to earth a little!

If F1 wants to do this I have no problem with it, it is not the fans wish, it is a banks wish to make a profit and as much money as possible as they do from their customers who bank with them.

If F1 is to simply go where the money is it will sooner or later run out of places to go and by then it will have died.

So maybe, we might get our sport back one day!

Regarding Donington, did the world ever catch up with that total crook Gillett?  What happened to him? I would hang drawer and quarter him to be honest.

Edited by chunder27, 27 September 2015 - 21:39.

#30 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,095 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:55

Yet we have more races than ever before...

#31 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 21:59

What, you mean the same sort of regulations that Silverstone tried to use to oppose state funding of the Circuit of Wales?

After the Donny fiasco no track will touch F1

Donington still looks like it's trying to undo the damage that did, let alone what the real picture is behind the scenes.

#32 Volcano70

Volcano70

• 871 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:01

If this is true

Brands

Hatch

Plz?

#33 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:03

If Silverstone can't afford to pay Bernie's extortion fee, I hope they show him the finger and let him try and drop the Grand Prix. There's zero reason for Silverstone or the club to let themselves be dragged under by the increasing costs of hosting the Grand Prix. If Bernie thinks he can carry on without the British Grand Prix (as well as the French, German and possibly Italian) he's welcome to try, because one thing for sure is that no other venue is going to even come close to taking over, even if they could find the money.

Build a giant statue of Cameron and a pig wouldn't bankrupt the country, but that doesn't mean it's a valid use of public money...

#34 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,959 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:06

Maybe it's been a slow year off track, but I'd hardly say this was the biggest story of the year. That said, I'd struggle to say what was the biggest story.

But it isn't this. British Grand Prix under threat? What else is new? It's one of those re-usable stories for journalists, along with the 'VW to F1' story that comes around every now and then. :yawnface:

#35 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:18

Maybe it's been a slow year off track, but I'd hardly say this was the biggest story of the year. That said, I'd struggle to say what was the biggest story.

Obviously, that was Lewis's hair.

#36 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:29

This was the 10pm news? Lucky I forgot about it 5 mins after reading it, if I'd been waiting on this I'd be sorely disappointed. We can ignore Formula Money for good now can we, no more topics based on their announcements. I'm sure they've done this before.

#37 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:30

Apparently Silverstone is 44% down on revenue.

#38 ThisIsMischaW

ThisIsMischaW

• 174 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:33

You think only low income people pay tax?

No GP should be state funded but the vast majority are, it is impossible for private investors to make a profit on hosting races.

Nothing wrong with state subsidies if you get a return on them, in fact it's insane not to provide state subsidies if you can make a return on the money.

#39 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:34

If this is true
Brands
Hatch
Plz?

Do you remember the Brands Hatch layout plan to host F1 in early 00s? They would've butchered the great track, thank God the GP there didn't happen.

Advertisement

#40 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:36

Again with this bullshit. Who are we kidding.

As long as  95% of the cars and parts are made in England there will be a British GP.

#41 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:47

This is hardly the 'story of the year' they claimed it would be. We get this every year, I won't start panicking just yet.

#42 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Do you remember the Brands Hatch layout plan to host F1 in early 00s? They would've butchered the great track, thank God the GP there didn't happen.

Do you have a link? I don't recall the layout.

#43 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Maybe Bernie can go strike up a deal with the promoters at the imaginary Circuit of Wales like Dorna did.

Then the race promoters can do the same thing that they do with MotoGP; run the race at Silverstone. :lol:

#44 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 22:54

Do you have a link? I don't recall the layout.

http://theracingline...02Proposal.html

#45 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,959 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 23:08

Yeah, I agree. Brands Hatch isn't that great a circuit for high downforce single seaters anyway. There's few overtaking opportunities and the races A1GP and Superleague Formula had there weren't anything too special, it's more suited as a track to bike racing and touring car racing, like BTCC.

But I had a similar thought about them giving it the Tilke treatment if F1 ever did go there. It wouldn't be the same Brands Hatch, that's for sure.

I would suggest Donington - but then after the mess they made of it after the last attempt to host F1 there, I'd rather they left that place alone as well. Silverstone is just about the best venue you could have for F1 in this country. I don't think anywhere else would be suitable in this day and age.

#46 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 23:09

The British GP has been at risk for years.

#47 Volcano70

Volcano70

• 871 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 00:45

Thanks for the link August,

And anyway i didn't, I've not really followed that much F1 since 10-12 (and even then scarcely did) but i have gotten more into it.

That layout would've been horrid.

#48 anneomoly

anneomoly

• 863 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:05

Yeah, I agree. Brands Hatch isn't that great a circuit for high downforce single seaters anyway. There's few overtaking opportunities and the races A1GP and Superleague Formula had there weren't anything too special, it's more suited as a track to bike racing and touring car racing, like BTCC.

But I had a similar thought about them giving it the Tilke treatment if F1 ever did go there. It wouldn't be the same Brands Hatch, that's for sure.

I would suggest Donington - but then after the mess they made of it after the last attempt to host F1 there, I'd rather they left that place alone as well. Silverstone is just about the best venue you could have for F1 in this country. I don't think anywhere else would be suitable in this day and age.

Ignoring track issues, if you had it at Donington, what would you do with the airport that would get in the way of any infrastructure improvement? The time they had 90,000 in attendance for bikes on a bank holiday was literal chaos, and they haven't changed the roads since then (can't actually see where they could create more road space, to be honest).

Stuff the track, the area can't hack that kind of capacity. Download festival gets 80-85k but that's less cars and more spread out over the weekend rather than a focal race day.

#49 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,254 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:22

Formula 1 makes enough money to support itself.

#50 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:12

That's just as bad.

Surely it is? In that there are places queueing up to host F1 races. Which is why the calendar is 25% bigger than it was 20 years ago. And for every India that drops out, there's an Azerbaijan to take its place.

The problem is not that. The problem is wider. It involves everything from dirty money coming from mafioso governments which ought to fail every money laundering check European law demands to the value to F1 itself of having races in traditional, well-attended venues.

But when the commercial interests of the sport are not held by the sport then there's going to be a disjoint. Remember that F1 is almost unique in that the governing body does not own those rights. Somehow the EU decided that it was illegal - but just for Formula 1 itself. By one of those coincidences one of the chaps who got himself a sinecure position with F1 was a Labour MEP. And that happened after Max flogged off 100 years of commercial rights for a sum of money that would not pay for 1 year of one country's football league, in a supposed auction with one bidder. A deal that was smiled on by Romano Prodi - the Eurocrat imposed as Italian PM.

The rights fee in such a farrago is neither here nor there...