- - - - -

Fantasy non-FIA alternative World Drivers' Championship

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 19:44

I think we all agree FIA is the root of evil, don't we? And today showed their true face, they can't prevent F1 from scheduling a clash with Le Mans, despite that it was said no FIA-sanctioned series will clash with LM24 now that it's in the FIA WEC.

So, what would your alternative WDC look like without FIA-sanctioned races (no F1, WEC, WTCC races, etc.)? A circuit hosting a FIA-sanctioned event doesn't disqualify it from holding an alternative WDC event, though in a different type of racing.

Here's mine incl. open-wheel, sports, touring, and stock cars. (I didn't include rallying because it's so different from circuit racing. But you can include.) Five of each category, only one race per venue (e.g. only Daytona 500 but no Rolex 24).

Daytona 500

Clipsal 500 Adelaide (touring cars)

12 Hours of Sebring

Grand Prix of Long Beach

Talladega (stock cars)

Grand Prix of San Marino (Imola)

Indianapolis 500

Coca-Cola 600 (mandatory double duty)

Norisring (touring cars)

Grand Prix of Road America

Grand Prix of Donington

Watkins Glen (stock cars)

Bristol (stock cars)

Suzuka 1000 (sports cars)

Petit Le Mans

Bathurst 1000

Brands Hatch (touring cars)

Guia Race of Macau (touring cars)

Mil Milhas Brasil (1000 miles, sports cars)

24 Hours of Potrero de los Funes (sports cars)

Advertisement

#2 chadwick8505

chadwick8505

• 368 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 20:05

So essentially you picked every popular race that isn't an FIA sanctioned event.... I'm confused what's the point of this thread?

Also the FIA is the root of all evil because F1 potentially has a race over le mans weekend? Overraction much?

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,048 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:54

I'm confused what's the point of this thread?

It's called dreaming...and as Debbie Harry said... "Dreaming is free".

I too had a thread that implored for a multi-disciplined drivers 'world championship' and it stretched to 90 something replies.

Mind you most of the responses were just like yours as in..WTF is this?..It'll never happen...I don't understand..Etc.

However, as the world turns so do the wheels in out heads, hoping for something better, more compelling, garnering greater interest.

So that's why good race fans come up with these hair brained scenarios where drivers become heroes once again and sporting focus is honed to the relevance of it all....Just like it was in the good old days.

Our sport suffers from too much dilution, so much so that it's almost impossible to have dedicated and incontestable indicator of greatness.

A REAL Drivers World championship would do this.It may be way off in the future and all the experts I have mentioned this to agree, to make Auto Racing great again..IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN.....Eventually.

So here's mine, FIA events included, cuz what a half-assed series it would be without them !!

Rally-Raid/ PARIS-DAKAR
Nascar/ DAYTONA 500,
Endurance/ SEBRING

Rally/PIKES PEAK
Touring Car&F3 /MACAU

F1/MONACO
IndyCar/ INDY 500
Nascar/MARTINSVILLE
Endurance/LEMANS
F1/SILVERSTONE
F1/ SPA
Rally/ACROPOLIS
V8 Supercars/ BATHHURST
F1/SUZUKA
Rally/ BAJA000

Jp

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:57

A calendar that excludes any and all FIA sanctioned races is the exact opposite of what I'd call 'fantasy'.  

#5 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:59

No.