Photo
- - - - -

What will happen to Red Bull drivers if they pull out?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 pjnoake

pjnoake

• 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 20:32

Not sure if this has already been discussed?

Where do you think Red Bull drivers will go if Red Bull don't continue in F1 next year?

Would Ferrari pay Raikkonen off again to get Riccardo LOL

What about Verstappen?

Might be a seat (or 2 ) at McLaren but not sure any would want to go there!!

Edited by pjnoake, 01 October 2015 - 06:52.

Advertisement

#2 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 20:36

Well I'm sure they'd get told off quite hard.  Mateschitz's scheme to breed drivers is very important to Red Bull's long term initiatives.  It gets expensive to have to bid for a young driver's commitment.  Much better to just start raising them from birth. 

#3 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 20:55

they will become free agents i would assume 

#4 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 21:03

Redbull is going nowhere, they're just talking a lot

#5 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 21:11

Surely this can be added to the Red Bull will quit F1 thread this don't need a separate thread ?

#6 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 21:16

I guess Ricciardo and Verstappen would have no trouble to find somewhere a seat (my guess: Ricciardo in the 3rd Ferrari, Verstappen either to Haas before joining Ferrari later or to Manor before joining Mercedes later or directly to Mercedes). For Sainz and Kvyat it could mean that they will be free agents after this season...

#7 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,595 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 21:16

Well at least the thread name leaves it open from where the drivers pull out and why...

#8 RockBrocaine

RockBrocaine

• 107 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 21:17

I suspect they would remain childless , but statistics show it's that's only 75% of the time.

#9 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 21:19

Max Verstappen will be able to do what most 18 year olds do - go to university.

:p

#10 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 21:27

Max Verstappen will be able to do what most 18 year olds do - go to university.

:p

No.

#11 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 21:29

No.

Don't you mean

#12 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 22:31

I think it's worthy of a separate thread. We're talking 20% of the grid potentially out of a drive, and the main thread rarely touches on this issue.

#13 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 22:48

I guess Ricciardo and Verstappen would have no trouble to find somewhere a seat (my guess: Ricciardo in the 3rd Ferrari, Verstappen either to Haas before joining Ferrari later or to Manor before joining Mercedes later or directly to Mercedes). For Sainz and Kvyat it could mean that they will be free agents after this season...

Finding a seat is the big problem where is there a space nowhere that I can see

#14 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,493 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 22:48

The Red Bull Global Rally Cross could be an option.

#15 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 22:49

"Pull out" hehehe

https://media0.giphy...1FvIk/200_s.gif

#16 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,991 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 23:46

Alonso should be considered for a seat in one of the three car teams. :up:

#17 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 00:08

In a theoretical scenario, it would shake up the driver market.

Lord Max is one of the most exciting prospects in years. Despite the hype getting out of hand, he has been electric this year. While D.R does not yet have the resume to considered an elite driver, he is well on his way. On current form, only Lewis and Seb are in his league (Alonso doesn't have the chance to shine sadly).  Even though vacancies appear to sparse, I think teams would go to great lengths to sign either. That could entail paying certain drivers to step aside. 

Kvyat and Saintz would probably have to take a year out, but I suspect both would be signed the following year. Red Bull have a knack for producing driver talent. 

#18 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 00:13

If losing 4 cars would cause 3-car teams it would seem at least Ricciardo and Verstappen will surely be picked up by two of them.

If someone actually BUYS one or both teams, then I would imagine the drivers would stay in place for their new owners, since there are probably no better seats available under the normal 2-car system.

Unless you meant coitus interruptus, which is also possible, considering the title of this thread.  In that case, I'd rather not comment. :p :wave:

Edited by maximilian, 01 October 2015 - 02:23.

#19 pdac

pdac

• 17,122 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 00:16

Max has passed his driving test, so he can become a cabbie now if he's stuck for a job.

Advertisement

#20 SuperSwede

SuperSwede

• 799 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 00:42

I suppose that the drivers contracts defines that. I mean, there could be clauses saying that RedBull must provide cars and if they don´t their drivers become free agents. But on the other hand there might not be any, or any saying which kind of cars. RedBull could enter WEC for instance and if so they´ll most likely would wanna hold on to their drivers.

But let´s hope that both teams will find competitive engines and show up on the F1 grid next year. :)

#21 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 00:46

Ricciardo will go straight to Ferrari, probably replacing Kimi mid year if Kimi is the same as 2015.

Kvyat will probably become a 3rd driver, replacing an underperforming driver in 2017.

Verstappen will probably slot into an upper midfield team and then maybe a Rosberg replacement in a year or two.

Sainz, probably out.

#22 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:57

They'll ask for their money back and drive for whoever takes over the teams.

#23 josepatches

josepatches

• 1,109 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:56

Ricciardo to ferrari, ricciardo to ferrari, ricciardo to ferrari........but why? Why not mercedes?

I believe Ferrari is set to keep Kimi now and Grosjean for 2017 but who knows.
If Red Bull quits then Ricciardo could be headed to Renault. Another works team is Mclaren. They are nowhere right now but if Button leaves the team they have a seat

If we have 3 drivers per team Mercedes would be the best place to go and he seems to be a nice guy so he could be a good fit for them too.

#24 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:14

Ricciardo to ferrari, ricciardo to ferrari, ricciardo to ferrari........but why? Why not mercedes?

I believe Ferrari is set to keep Kimi now and Grosjean for 2017 but who knows.
If Red Bull quits then Ricciardo could be headed to Renault. Another works team is Mclaren. They are nowhere right now but if Button leaves the team they have a seat

If we have 3 drivers per team Mercedes would be the best place to go and he seems to be a nice guy so he could be a good fit for them too.

Ricciardo's father is a 1st generation Italian migrant who lived in Italy for a fair amount of his life. He's as close to an Italian in THE Italian car as you can get right now.

#25 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:52

Anyone know what a tissue is  :well:

#26 loki

loki

• 12,102 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:52

Red Bull and STR will be in the field next year with whatever engine they can beg Ferrari to give them.

#27 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:59

For all those hoping for third cars in the hope it would pave the way for three way scraps between Ricciardo, Hamilton and Rosberg at Mercedes (or other similar examples), remember that it's unlikely the third driver would be eligible for WCC or WDC points. Or so previous reports have suggested.

#28 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:12

They should get Ferrari engines, even if they are from 2015 and they should stop acting like children. They should learn that you cannot always win in this sport! It would be a shame to see Ricciardo, Kvyat, Verstappen & Sainz go as all four are talented drivers and maybe two of them might find a place somewhere, but all four? Not a chance.

#29 Murl

Murl

• 743 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:29

I think it's worthy of a separate thread. We're talking 20% of the grid potentially out of a drive, and the main thread rarely touches on this issue.

There is no potential for them to be out of a drive.

Red Bull is as likely to pull out of F1 as...it is to make a product that has nutritional value.

#30 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:34

For all those hoping for third cars in the hope it would pave the way for three way scraps between Ricciardo, Hamilton and Rosberg at Mercedes (or other similar examples), remember that it's unlikely the third driver would be eligible for WCC or WDC points. Or so previous reports have suggested.

So basically they'll run two guns and one youngster? Or for Ferrari in 2016, two guns and a retiree. :p

#31 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:45

So basically they'll run two guns and one youngster?

If it happens, yes, that seems the most likely outcome should 3rd cars happen:

...it is likely a team would field a junior driver, potentially to make up a junior championship, with any points accrued only eligible for that 'series' and not for the main drivers' and constructors' titles.

source: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/119296

The Red Bull/ Toro Rosso drivers are in a hell of a tough spot for F1 drives next season should now Red Bull leave at the end of the season.

#32 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:48

Wouldnt Verstappen, Sainz and Kvyat be eligible for that if this is happening? Thats what I though so far. They are all 21 or younger. Or is it more likely to be just for rookies? AMuS reported a few months back that the points wouldnt count for the WCC but for the WDC, but the 3rd car would likely to be an old car and the 3rd driver beeing a younger driver.

Edited by Marklar, 01 October 2015 - 06:52.

#33 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:57

Wouldnt Verstappen, Sainz and Kvyat be eligible for that if this is happening? Thats what I though so far. They are all 21 or younger. Or is it more likely to be just for rookies? AMuS reported a few months back that the points wouldnt count for the WCC but for the WDC, but the 3rd car would likely to be an old car and the 3rd driver beeing a younger driver.

I don't think there's enough been nailed down to be sure. I didn't know AMuS reckoned they'd be eligible for the WDC, unlike Autosport who reckon they probably won't, for instance. My point was I think people hear 'third cars' and immediately eagerly picture 3 top drivers in a team, all scrapping it out for wins in a top car and that isn't at all likely to happen.

#34 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:06

Hopefully nothing of that will happen, especially considering that even if the 3rd cars are free to enter for every driver ane eligible for points, just Ferrari, McLaren and perhaps Mercedes and Williams will use one. And at least McLaren and Mercedes will use it probably for their own young drivers...

Edited by Marklar, 01 October 2015 - 07:08.

#35 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:11

Any class or tier system like that will kill the sport. If people wanted to watch a grid of cars where 1/3 follow different regulations or raced for a different prize then they already have WEC.

#36 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:12

What happens to the rest of us : a mess.

#37 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:22

They will be forced to seek to drive elsewhere.

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:26

Any class or tier system like that will kill the sport. If people wanted to watch a grid of cars where 1/3 follow different regulations or raced for a different prize then they already have WEC.

We already have a tier system, just nobody is taking notice of that.

#39 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:52

I think it is a good question. To be honest I can't see other teams kicking out any of their current contracted drivers in favor of these guys for next season no matter how good they are. And there are not many seats left at the moment and less as we speak.

Verstappen says he is not worried though so unless he has had an offer from another team I assume he doesn't believe Red Bull will pull out. 

Advertisement

#40 Paul McLucas

Paul McLucas

• 204 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:57

Would Seb even let Daniel come to Ferrari?  It didn't go too well last time for him.

#41 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:00

Alonso should be considered for a seat in one of the three car teams. :up:

he is no Red Bull driver yet :cool:

#42 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:02

Sounds about right. 

I worry far more about the sport as a whole if Red Bull leave, though. 

And 3rd car entries that are competing, but not *actually* competing sounds like a farce. 

Edited by Seanspeed, 01 October 2015 - 10:04.

#43 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 1,271 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:08

Who is to say that that both drivers would not stay with the team, I take-it that both teams would be sold?

And you could have a team from the ashes like Brawn F1 did, didn't they do well?  

#44 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,209 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:12

The next generation of young drivers won't come along!!

#45 MikeMM

MikeMM

• 884 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:19

Who is to say that that both drivers would not stay with the team, I take-it that both teams would be sold?

And you could have a team from the ashes like Brawn F1 did, didn't they do well?  

Brawn did well because they recieve latest spec Mercedes engine.

#46 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 1,271 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:33

Brawn did well because they recieve latest spec Mercedes engine.

I agree Brawn did get the latest spec engine, I was trying to use Brawn as an example, there is life after Red Bull, like there was life after Honda?

I still think a old spec Mercedes engine would do well in F1, if you have a good designed car?    

#47 foreva

foreva

• 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:00

I believe I read a while ago that Ricciardo said he had been given some assurances on next season by Mateschitz?

Edit: haven't remembered it quite correctly.

Ricciardo has faith that Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz will find a solution but is aware the clock is ticking.

"I have spoken to Helmut and Christian [Horner]," Ricciardo said. "I haven't broken Dietrich's balls yet, I am sure he has got a lot on his plate. I will let him do what he needs to. And as I say, if it gets later in the year and still nothing has come, then yeah, maybe I will make a little bit of noise. But honestly I don't think it will get to that.

Asked if Marko or Red Bull team boss Christian Horner had given him any assurances, Ricciardo replied: "They are confident we will figure it out one way or another. Obviously it is in our interests to try and get the best [power unit]. We want to win as well, so that is what we are trying to get.

"I have confidence in them. They are not promising me anything, but I have confidence it will figure itself out."

The uncertainty has an impact on all four drivers at Red Bull and Toro Rosso, as well as those funded by the Austrian company lower down the motor sport ladder. However, Ricciardo says a year away from F1 is not something he's concerned about - yet.

"Thinking about that I am too young to have a year off. But right now I am not concerned - more curious to see what happens basically. It is still only September, so sure the sooner we get an answer the better, don't get me wrong, but we are not in November or December yet. When you start getting towards that part of the year, then you have got to really decide what is going to happen, but it is still early. I am confident we will get what we are after. Curious to see how it unfolds."

Edited by foreva, 01 October 2015 - 11:03.

#48 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:32

Which would be yet ANOTHER of the MANY incredibly stupid decisions that have been laid down over the past few years... :down:

#49 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,450 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:14

they will be on the grid.

#50 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,180 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 13:17

Regarding 3rd cars, do they kick in if both teams leave? We'd still have a 18 car grid, thanks to Haas. There was a 18 car grid for a couple of races last year and I don't remember the 3rd cars being on the track...