- - - - -

"Thirsty aphalt" - New invention that could help some tracks

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 280 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 14:31

So this new thing is out; an asphalt that soaks up rain.
Which to me sounds like it's made for race tracks.

Unfortunately they can't use it in places that freeze, but they could surely have this in tropical places?

What do you think?

http://www.techinsid...e-topmix-2015-9

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 14:34

Nops.

They already have it too easy.

Or maybe only on the ovals.

Edited by Atreiu, 02 October 2015 - 14:35.

#3 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 14:39

Wait Tarmac is a brand name? I didn't know that. I'll add that to the list.

#4 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 14:52

Would be great at Malaysia and Brazil

#5 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 17:16

I heard about this magical new asphalt that can suck up a lake's worth of water in a quarter of a second a few days ago but my first thought was that it's most obvious motorsport application would be to install it at Monza to suck up Ferrari tears.

#6 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,861 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 17:25

Couple of things. It isn't asphalt, it's concrete. That is cement with aggregates. Asphalt is bitumen, oily stuff.

Because of its composition it isn't very strong. This is not structural concrete, it's only just strong enough to handle the weight of vehicles in a parking lot. High horsepower cars would chew it up in a hurry. You could compromise the perviousness some to make a stronger mix but I imagine you'd completely lose its water handling effects by the time you got to a strength that rivals a good bitumen asphalt that would have better traction than any concrete.

Also the recent 'viralness' of pervious concrete is interesting. I think someone came up with a 'new' product and have been promoting it like crazy. The concept itself is quite old.

Edited by Chubby_Deuce, 02 October 2015 - 17:27.

#7 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 17:49

Wait Tarmac is a brand name? I didn't know that. I'll add that to the list.

Well I never. It's like the hoover of the road surface world.

#8 Vibe

Vibe

• 383 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 17:52

In the words of Max Verstappen... NO!

#9 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 19:28

I remember this being tested at Monza in 1999. Clearly it was not seen as beneficial, maybe it eats tyres in the dry or something. 

I used to be really against it, as wet races are always great seeing drivers battling in the spray, but given now they just turn into Charlie's Amazing Safety Car Show, I would be supportive of this tech. 

Edited by Kristian, 02 October 2015 - 19:29.

#10 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 21:33

Nothing new.  In 1979, the whole of Silverstone was re-surfaced in Dunlop Delugrip, which was supposed to allow water to drain away whilst retaining grip.

#11 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 21:40

In the words of Max Verstappen... NO!

This

#12 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,229 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 21:45

So that we have no more wet races? No, thanks. Proper wet races are a rarity as it is.

#13 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,725 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:34

oops didnt see this  :drunk:

#14 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:59

So this is new? :lol: :lol:

The whole of the Netherlands has this asphalt/concrete on it's roads. We started with this in the eighties and by 2010 90% of our roads had it.

http://youtu.be/yLxyqmqN6_o

Gives problems with the winter weather though, when water freezes up it expands, breaking the asphalt/concrete from within.

vorstschade-aan-asfalt-1.jpg

But damn, people come up with this as something new?

#15 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:11

I don't think it will last under high downforce. 

#16 Foyle

Foyle

• 46 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 13:56

F1 cars put up to about 6-700kg lateral or traction force per wheel, but over a relatively large contact patch.  Cars on the road are pretty similar under peak braking loads (much more heavily biased to front wheels than F1), and trucks probably much much worse.  This stuff might not be strong enough, but then again the tyre pressures in F1 (<20psi??) and most other motorsports are damned low compared to trucks (>100psi) and even cars (>30psi) on roads.  (tyre pressures are closely linked to the vertical pressure loads on the road surface).  I doubt downforce would be a big deal.  

I would question how it would withstand the effects of getting blocked by dirt (marbles) etc over the long term.  And as others have pointed out it might get destroyed by ice (though perhaps not if it well).

#17 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 14:06

F1 cars put up to about 6-700kg lateral or traction force per wheel, but over a relatively large contact patch.  Cars on the road are pretty similar under peak braking loads (much more heavily biased to front wheels than F1), and trucks probably much much worse.  This stuff might not be strong enough, but then again the tyre pressures in F1 (<20psi??) and most other motorsports are damned low compared to trucks (>100psi) and even cars (>30psi) on roads.  (tyre pressures are closely linked to the vertical pressure loads on the road surface).  I doubt downforce would be a big deal.  

I would question how it would withstand the effects of getting blocked by dirt (marbles) etc over the long term.  And as others have pointed out it might get destroyed by ice (though perhaps not if it well).

Sorry I meant dowforce created by the floor and diffuser. The low pressure that sucks the car towards the ground also sucks the ground towards the car. 

Edited by Gorma, 10 October 2015 - 14:14.

#18 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 14:48

As I was a road traffic controller I can tell you that this indeed has been a problem. A very tight turn in our area had to be resurfaced with normal asphalt as dirt and rubber crap filled up the caveties and made the asphalt slippery.