* - - - - 2 votes

Bob Fernley bashing Manor... again

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:24

This man really winds me up. He supposed to be one of those who 'cares' about the smaller teams, then he say's something like this:

"We can either be a Manor, which is participating, or we can be a Lotus, Force India, Toro Rosso or Williams, which is competing. That bit in the middle has the value.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-warned-of-crisis-at-both-ends-of-the-grid/

Is he still hurt over not getting Manors prize money?

Advertisement

#2 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:29

If you think that is bashing, you must be a bit sensitive. 

And I'm starting the campaign for Bob to take over from Bernie. Far better than that awful Red Bull bloke. 

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:34

....and whats the problem about that exactly?

#4 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:53

A very fair point from Bob.

#5 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:59

With where Manor are today, I would say that was a fair point. Next year it might be different.

Honestly, it looks more like you're scrabling to bash Fearnley/FI more than anything.

#6 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Thus far he is right. BUT,For all we know Manor might well be a force to be reckoned with next season what with the technical partnership with Williams,decent engines from Merc and Bob Bell at the helm.I think the other Bob might well be scoffing his words this time next year.I for one will be rooting for these little guys who seem to have stumbled out of the gutter clutching roses!

#7 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Fair comment from Bob.

#8 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:02

I think he's spot on about the money distribution. And Manor Marussia... Well, their only chance of gaining a single position in any race is mechanical breakdowns on other cars.

#9 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,230 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:23

That bit in the middle has the value.

And without the bit at the end, the bit in the middle would be the end instead, which doesn't sound so much fun.

#10 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:50

Manor are just participating in 2015. He just used them as an active example of participating, I don't think he's jabbing at them for no reason.

#11 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:52

That's really being upset about nothing. 

Manor is nowhere and are just there to survive. It's not like they are threatening to enter the midfield under any normal circumstances any time soon. 

Maybe the new Mercedes/Williams deal for the first time ever in their short F1 history can make them slightly more competitive, but to say Manor are doing anything more than merely just be there seems exaggerated. 

#12 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 14:41

Cars are so much more reliable now. Time was when even the likes of Osella could get a point or two if they stayed out of trouble but not today, even with the points extending down to 10 and a grid of 20 cars.

If anything it sounds like Bob is actually speaking up for Manor rather than bashing them. He's not saying they are piss poor, but puts emphasis on the distribution of prize money and the importance of independents. One line summary reads to me as: Give Manor more money.

#13 Obster

Obster

• 195 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 20:42

Well, if he is going to call it like that, are not McLaren/Honda also just "participating"? And the Renaults at some tracks?

#14 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,769 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:21

Manor entered F1 on the basis that there would be a cap on spending. They are trying to compete, but it's a F1 problem that they can't. 

#15 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,497 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:21

FI isn't competing, the Merc in the back is competing. I wonder where they would be if they all had the same engine.

But I do agree with this:

"So if [the prize money] was distributed in a better way, and we got rid of the silly Strategy Group process for governance, hopefully we could start to see some stability coming back in."

#16 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:57

Manor bites back at FI...

Manor F1 Team ‏@ManorF1Team 2 minutes ago

Overtaking @ForceIndiaF1. Sign of things to come? #TrackWalk 

CQyGeNDWEAAPniC.jpg