- - - - -

An Sochi Autodrom build on grief and tears

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 22:10

I make a separate thread about this because I do not want to spoil the joy and the celebration of the other treads about Russian Grand Prix.

I haven´t seen a single lap of the Russian GP and I didn't either in 2014. The slave labor and beatings of workers were AWFUL & UNACCEPTABLE in my opinion when Sochi was built. I saw a documentary (2014) as I  sometimes regret that I saw. Horrible, horrible way to treat workers ! Disgrace is an understatement !
The workers was not paid, and when they ask for salary some of the workers got a crowbar up in rectum as destroyed their spine for life. It was many workers from neighboring countries to Russia that never got their paychecks and were severely beaten and seriously injured when they asked why they didn´t get paid for the job.

We as watch F1's usual are very caring and concerned of and if a accidents happen to teams or drivers, but it's scary how little we care of those poor people who built Putin's boasting buildings/constructions and amusement park, Sochi Olympic Park and Sochi Autodrom.
I assume there are other Formula 1 tracks that have the same tragic background when they was built, but I am unaware of it and you are unaware of it.

I have to write about this, even if you might know about it already. I couldn't help it but my tears was flooding down on my cheeks yesterday when I saw all the happiness and unawareness from Russian Grand Prix 2015 about this.( I felt the same about 2014 Russian GP)

Mods can close this topic if you find it wrong in anyway.

Thanks for reading.  :cry:

Edited by Lotusseven, 11 October 2015 - 22:15.

Advertisement

#2 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 22:16

People get a bad deal in a dictatorial state, that's hardly news. Try asking the workers from the Indian subcontinent that built most of the UAE etc ... just don't ask in front of their indigenous bosses. As for Russia, dig a little deeper and you'll see that poor treatment of anyone who isn't Russian (particularly if they are Asian, or just Asian in appearance) is by no means the most appalling aspect of the way they conduct themselves. Ask anyone in Russia who is gay, politically aligned with any party or publication that isn't vehemently pro-Putin or just plain poor, to name but a few.

That said, you really cant take any of the comments in these documentaries at face value. Some of the stories are, well, just that. The truth usually sits somewhere in between.

Edited by superden, 11 October 2015 - 22:25.

#3 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,972 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 22:24

This is more a Paddock Club thread ain't it?

And I also hope you boycot all other races where similar things happen as well, you might find yourself watching quite a bit less F1 in that case, or is it because of Russia?

#4 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 22:30

I make a separate thread about this because I do not want to spoil the joy and the celebration of the other treads about Russian Grand Prix.

I haven´t seen a single lap of the Russian GP and I didn't either in 2014. The slave labor and beatings of workers were AWFUL & UNACCEPTABLE in my opinion when Sochi was built. I saw a documentary (2014) as I sometimes regret that I saw. Horrible, horrible way to treat workers ! Disgrace is an understatement !
The workers was not paid, and when they ask for salary some of the workers got a crowbar up in rectum as destroyed their spine for life. It was many workers from neighboring countries to Russia that never got their paychecks and were severely beaten and seriously injured when they asked why they didn´t get paid for the job.

We as watch F1's usual are very caring and concerned of and if a accidents happen to teams or drivers, but it's scary how little we care of those poor people who built Putin's boasting buildings/constructions and amusement park, Sochi Olympic Park and Sochi Autodrom.
I assume there are other Formula 1 tracks that have the same tragic background when they was built, but I am unaware of it and you are unaware of it.

I have to write about this, even if you might know about it already. I couldn't help it but my tears was flooding down on my cheeks yesterday when I saw all the happiness and unawareness from Russian Grand Prix 2015 about this.( I felt the same about 2014 Russian GP)

Here is a link to the documentary called "An Olympic Games build on grief and tears" [translated from swedish to eng.]

Mods can close this topic if you find it wrong in anyway.

Thanks for reading. :cry:

Do you believe everything you watch? I believe that documentary has been pretty much discredited. I'm no fan of Putin/Russia but a lot of it is ludicrous.

Your reaction seems more about wallowing in it than anything else.

I hope you maintain the same standards for other races and events

#5 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 22:34

The torture of the guest workers as was reconstructed and narrated by some guest workers in this documentary was painful, horrible and heartbreaking to watch and a wake up clock to myself...WTF am I watching ! ...and I was thinking Russian GP is a BIG NOT WATCH ! ,,,but everything is up to each end everyone of us and I´m sure I have watched GP´s with similar tragic background because of my unawareness. Sometimes it´s better to be unaware of a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.  :|  :well:

#6 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 22:35

This is more a Paddock Club thread ain't it?

And I also hope you boycot all other races where similar things happen as well, you might find yourself watching quite a bit less F1 in that case, or is it because of Russia?

I have no access to the padock club.

#7 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 22:39

Do you believe everything you watch? I believe that documentary has been pretty much discredited. I'm no fan of Putin/Russia but a lot of it is ludicrous.

Your reaction seems more about wallowing in it than anything else.

I hope you maintain the same standards for other races and events

Uppdrag granskning - Mission examination as it is called in sweden, is the most reliable and serious documentary serie in our country. So the answer in this case is YES !!

Yes I will maintain the same standard for other race events if they have the same or similar awful background as Sochi Autodrom.

Edited by Lotusseven, 11 October 2015 - 22:43.

#8 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 23:06

I don't see much avenue for racing discussion here, only politics. Sorry guys, this is most certainly a Paddock Club topic.