Photo

Old circuit racers Grass Tracking in the early '80s

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:10

I have my current restoration project up for sale on Ebay at the moment, partly due to my frustration at not being able to identify it (an anathema to a member of TNF!) It's an old Clubmans / F1200 car, previously the subject of a thread in the research section.

A chap has been in touch to say he saw the car for sale in  dismantled state in around 1982 in Rhuddlan, North Wales. The condition at the time ties in with the other descriptions I had received. At that time it seems it may have been planned for use in grass tracking. I'm following this up with the 'Ace of Clubs' grasstrack  club through which it was offered to see if the lead helps unravel the mystery of the identity.

However, this also got me wondering about tales of other circuit racers which ended up in this rather more 'rough and tumble' form of Motorsports after their career on track ended.

I'm sure I recall reading that a Lotus 18 (not sure if it was an F1 or FJ) was later built into a grasstrack special in Ireland, but subsequently restored it's now a regular competitor on circuit again.

Can anyone think of any others?

And of course, if anyone was a member of 'Ace of Clubs' at the time,let me know (they still exist, and I've contacted them via Facebook)

Al

Advertisement

#2 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:54

Not exactly grass-track, but the ex-Piers Courage Lotus Seven, "00 9149", ended up sand racing on the beaches of the Channel Islands - the conditions and modifications for which inevitably took their toll on the fabric of the car. It was, however, rescued just a few years ago and refurbished before appearing at the Goodwood FoS.  

Edited by 2F-001, 22 October 2015 - 10:54.

#3 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:36

I think some F3 500cc cars went into autocross in the 60s and 70s when they were worthless. I think the losse rate of cars from that formula has been quite high.

#4 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 15:01

Indeed, I assume the primary appeal will have been that they were 'proper' racing cars, but available for next to nothing, and anything with a tubular frame could easily be adapted as required 

Presumably their engines often went elsewhere into Modsport etc.

Al

#5 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 16:40

On a side note (and duplicating a request in the Historical research section), does anyone have a run of Autosport from 1982 who could flick through the classifieds to see if there is an ad for a dismantled Lotus seven project in North Wales, possibly with a Ford 1500 or Lotus Twin Cam engine (not fitted)? It may have been with Richard Peacock of Rhyl, who was operating in this area at the time.

Any help would be much appreciated

Al