• 31,165 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 21:44

As you were then.

Advertisement

#2 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 21:46

Is this the best pairing on the grid? Is this a lineup that can work when you have vettel chomping at the bit?

#3 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 21:56

Is this the best pairing on the grid? Is this a lineup that can work when you have vettel chomping at the bit?

Alonso and Button is another.  Given similar cars it's a good line-up for the WCC but not for the WDC because Kimi is absolutely no match for Vettel.

Edited by OO7, 28 October 2015 - 15:45.

#4 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 22:08

Alonso and Button are the best in my opinion, with Lewis and Nico a shade behind.

Anyway, this weekend. Who do we think the track suits better? 

#5 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 22:29

How Nico can say in that interview in the previous thread it's not like he lost "...because the opponent was simply faster..." Is beyond me! Lewis has 11 pole positions and 10 race wins, Nico has 4 pole positions and 3 races wins. Those number reflect the season well in my opinion.

I was always a fan if Nico until last season, sour grapes comes to mind and he reminds me very much of all the other drivers who just can't live with their teammate (Webber, Massa, Barrichello), they all start off being quite likeable and turn into moaning, bitter racing drivers.

#6 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 23:07

gosh there hasn't been much to talk about

I just saw a gif of Lewis's baseball celebration in Bahrain and it reminded me of all the race weekends he's dominated this season that have slipped from my memory and I was in awe of him all over again

Edited by TomNokoe, 27 October 2015 - 23:08.

#7 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 00:21

Now - Can we talk about the upcoming Mexico race please - Pretty please?

I am wombering the same thing about Mexico.

I like Lewis Hamilton's chance this upcoming weekend. I think he will have an extra spring in his step, BUT he will give Nico a wider berth. I expect him to win on racecraft.

#8 Hamandeggs

Hamandeggs

• 360 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 00:33

Reliability not withstanding,I have a sneak Rosberg will seek revenge and find a way to lose only after the final pit stop as Lewis hunts him down. Interesting to see. how Force India will approach the race with the tyre choices in play with their renowned ability to extend stints.Certain they will fin a way to help Perez be a hero...... just hope with championships wrapped up the engine modes are all open.

1.Rosberg

2.Hamilton

3.Vettel

#9 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:46

There's an annoying quote about the definition of futility being doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, but the .gif below highlights this quite well (there were 3 identical, unsuccessful attempts in Bahrain alone, but I refrained from showing all of them in order to save file size) 

Spoiler

Also, here's what Lewis usually thinks of being overtaken on the outside :)

https://youtu.be/-acsKszvYOo?t=37s

Let's see what Mexico will bring!

#10 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:02

I hope they put a new engine and box in Lewis's car every race till the end of the season and start last - let him go full power and revs etc. 

Don't quali, so new tyres all day. 

Jut for giggles. 

#11 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:04

In terms of driver pairings

Lewis/Nico

Alonso/Button

Bottas/Massa

Vettel/Kimi

Yup - thats how far Kimi brings Ferrari. 

Ricciardo/Max would also be quite potent I dare say. 

All IMHO obviously. 

#12 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:17

1.Rosberg
2.Hamilton
3.Vettel

I think that's the most likely result this weekend. I think Nico will hook it up this weekend, and not bottle it in crucial stages.

Edited by SophieB, 28 October 2015 - 06:26.

#13 lewymp4

lewymp4

• 628 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:42

Lewis should enjoy this new track in Mexico City, and will want to baptize this new updated track, by him being their first winner.

Edited by lewymp4, 28 October 2015 - 03:47.

#14 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:27

Clean up done. Less discussion of each other, more of Lewis vs Nico, please!

#15 Will

Will

• 3,320 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:46

Nico must be careful that he does not assume that Lewis' pace is equivalent to his given equivalent luck. There have been plenty of times this season where Lewis has managed his pace with glimpses of pace in reserve by pitstop windows etc. His downfall this year has been overconfidence that x or y will swing things in his favour. Last year his was less fixated on that and more concentrating on rattling Lewis through nailing his own laps. If he wants to beat Lewis he needs to be on it from Day 1. It may be close. Both are good at learning new tracks.

#16 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:56

I think Lewis is going to dominate the weekend. He's usually very good on new circuits. 

#17 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:10

Posted Today, 17:01

Incidents in general... the Bottas/Kimi had 12 pages before it was shut down..

I think its still open, and yes both threads have the about the same number of posts, apart from the Kimi one has been open for a lot longer and T1 thread has actually been locked.

Oh yeah and it was an actual crash where it caused one driver to DNF and lose a podium and the other to suffer heavy damage, lose a few places and then get a penalty.

But yeah I can totally see why the T1 incident needs to be investigated just as much at Kimi/Bottas. :lol: :up:

Anyway, we're getting off track. Lets leave the last race behind us and look forward to Mexico.

Edited by Retrofly, 28 October 2015 - 08:31.

#18 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:27

Alonso and Button are the best in my opinion, with Lewis and Nico a shade behind.

Anyway, this weekend. Who do we think the track suits better? 

Lewis has a habit of doing well at new tracks, assuming the FP is not washed out.

#19 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:32

I think that's the most likely result this weekend. I think Nico will hook it up this weekend, and not bottle it in crucial stages.

Nope, I think the fight has been blown out of him this year for good now. Lewis should breeze past in the remaining races this year without external problems. Mexico is anyway too soon and Nico would be yet to recover from the loss of a title. It will very likely play on his mind whereas Lewis would be the opposite, oozing confidence.

Advertisement

#20 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:34

Lewis won 7/8 of the last set of races in the calendar in 2014 and is currently at 5/6 with three to go. I can see him winning at least 7 if not 8 by the end of the season.

The main worry for Nico will be to keep Vettel behind, in the races and the points table eventually.

#21 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:37

If it wasn't for that weird Singapore weekend, he would have won the last 6 races in a row. Could've beaten Vettel's and Schumi's record of 9 wins in a row. But whatever. At least he's the first driver to win at least 10 races two seasons in a row. 

#22 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:24

I think Lewis is going to dominate the weekend. He's usually very good on new circuits.

I evidenced this before Austria last year and he proceeded to mess it up :lol:

#23 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:31

I evidenced this before Austria last year and he proceeded to mess it up :lol:

His race was strong last year. The mess up happened in qualy, so I am still hopeful.

#24 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:37

Question:

Does anyone know why Lewis is always at the bottom of the 3xWDC lists? Is it because of the runner-up and 3rd places being used in a back count?

He's won more races than anyone bar Schum and Prost.

https://en.wikipedia...pions#By_driver

Edited by CountDooku, 28 October 2015 - 10:41.

#25 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:45

Looks like order of first title to me

#26 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:51

Question:

Does anyone know why Lewis is always at the bottom of the 3xWDC lists? Is it because of the runner-up and 3rd places being used in a back count?

He's won more races than anyone bar Schum and Prost.

https://en.wikipedia...pions#By_driver

The answer's already been given, but Hamilton half-jokingly queried the same thing when shown the rankings on Sky and then laughed his ass off saying how though he wasn't motivated by rankings/stats he didn't like being at the bottom of the page and kidded around about having to do something about that.

#27 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:05

Thanks both.

Looking at the race wins list, I still can't believe Lewis is 3rd in history! And his wins % now compares very favourably with some greats. I can remember feeling pretty resentful of Vettel's win stats in 2013 when Lewis was on 21 wins and Seb was nearly at 40 as I thought Lewis had the talent to be up there with him.

It's amazing how things turned around.

Edited by CountDooku, 28 October 2015 - 11:17.

#28 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:12

Thanks both.

Looking at the race wins list, I still can't believe Lewis is 3rd in history! And his wins % now compares very favourably with some greats. I can remember feeling pretty resentful of Vettel's win stats in 2013 when Lewis was on 21 wins and Seb was nearly at 40 as I thought Lewis had the talent to be up there with him.

It's amazing how things turned aroun.

I think the only overall stat and a very important one where Lewis is behind is the number of titles. If he gets there next year, he would be way clear of Vettel on most stats.

#29 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:16

Seb isn't my yardstick, and I would be content even though Lewis doesn't win another title - 3 is the magic number. I just brought Seb up because of my feelings on their relative positions back in 2013.

#30 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:26

Honestly the number of titles is not important imo.

Had he stayed on 1 title it wouldnt had changed my opinion about him. As it didnt mattered for Moss or G. Villeneuve beeing w/o an title, they are stil among the best. Clark has just 2 titles, but he is easily one of the best. As well as the 2 titles for Alonso are not reflecting his real efforts. The amount of titles are not what is defiening a driver in the end, the efforts on the track are.

#31 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:48

Had he stayed on 1 title it wouldnt had changed my opinion about him. As it didnt mattered for Moss or G. Villeneuve beeing w/o an title, they are stil among the best. Clark has just 2 titles, but he is easily one of the best. As well as the 2 titles for Alonso are not reflecting his real efforts. The amount of titles are not what is defiening a driver in the end, the efforts on the track are.

I think Lewis is something like 15 points(2007+2010), one 2nd place finish, from being a 5 times world champion. Crazy! You can say similar for Alonso too. But I agree, I don't think the number of titles defines a driver, staying competitive through multiple rules and regs changes is a good indicator of a drivers quality. Vettel is great and Button has managed to stay competitive for many years which is quite a feat.

Edited by FrontWing, 28 October 2015 - 11:48.

#32 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:48

While this is good for people who have a good knowledge of of F1 past and present. But for the average Joe Blogs, and casual the stats will be what they turn to most.

For instance the last 2 Monaco wins, all the F1 fans will know that Nico *may* have been lucky to get 3 straight wins, but everyone else will just see 3x Monaco Grand Prix winner. Its because there is no doubting facts, everything else is down to pinion and preference.

#33 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:51

It is certainly up there but I'm not sure if it is the best because for the last year it has been pretty one-sided and with the car advantage they both enjoy, I'd expect them to bring home maximum points most of the time.

I think they are both strong drivers, but I'm not convinced they are actually the strongest. In better machinery, I'd probably still go for Alonso and Button if I was pushed.

#34 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:51

Agreed to some extent but if you are not winning titles, what is the point. Alonso himself says he is not in F1 to come 2nd and doesnt care for anything less than the title. So as much we may appreciate a driver for his perceived skills, titles do count for the vast majority of the fans and drivers themselves.

#35 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 19:08

Ok, I've noticed that the thread is recently loving Montoya, so I give you his latest quote on the Rosberg/Hamilton battle

"Nico is at least as fast as Lewis, if not even faster than Lewis"

http://www.welt.de/s...rr-Montoya.html

;)

Edited by Marklar, 28 October 2015 - 19:09.

#36 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,122 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 19:20

Ok, I've noticed that the thread is recently loving Montoya, so I give you his latest quote on the Rosberg/Hamilton battle

;)

Yeah, good old Jaun; he also told Ted Kravitz (during his notebook) that Lewis is unbeatable when he is ahead, but struggles when he is behind  :lol:

#37 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 19:20

Montoya is a man who ha always spoke rubbish.

#38 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 19:24

That's what happens when you have a camera smashed against your head.

Edited by GoldenColt, 28 October 2015 - 19:26.

#39 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,122 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 19:31

So do we think 3 consecutive poles for Nico and 3 consecutive Friday washouts are related? 

Advertisement

#40 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 19:38

So do we think 3 consecutive poles for Nico and 3 consecutive Friday washouts are related?

Considering that Hamilton throw it away in Suzuka and that Austin was a huge mess (Seeing how the race unfold Im even starting to thinking that Nico had more a wet and Hamilton more a dry setup), I don't think so. But following Hamilton this season I got the impression that he has this year the approach to exploring things, get it together over friday and saturday, and unleash his best when it matters on Saturday, friday washouts may hamper this approach.

Edited by Marklar, 28 October 2015 - 19:39.

#41 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 19:55

There's always a 'but' from journalists in regards to Hamilton and teammates. There always seems to be a magic bullet that applied to Button and now Rosberg that concludes they could actually match Lewis in given circumstances.

It's simply not true and no other driver is held to this standard. It seems many people are sometimes at a loss to explain why Hamilton beats his teammates so readily.

It's a discredit to Hamilton because it fails to take into account his own theoretical best.

I suppose we'll be seeing a lot of 'How Nico Rosberg can overcome Lewis Hamilton in 2016' articles floating around in the future.

Thrice déjà vu.

Edited by TomNokoe, 28 October 2015 - 19:55.

#42 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,122 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 20:02

Random stat: Lewis has finished ahead of Nico in 18 of the last 23 races. Quite surprising actually, even given Lewis's dominance. 

#43 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 20:06

There's always a 'but' from journalists in regards to Hamilton and teammates. There always seems to be a magic bullet that applied to Button [...] that concludes (he) could actually match Lewis in given circumstances.

Eerm....

Edited by Marklar, 28 October 2015 - 20:07.

#44 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 20:08

Update:

Records Lewis could equal/beat this season:

Most pole-positions in a season (15 by Seb Vettel in 2011): Currently 11

Most race wins in a season (13 by Schumi in 2004 and Vettel in 2013): Currently 10

Most points in a season (397 by Seb Vettel in 2013): Currently 327

Most fastest laps in a season (10 by Kimi and Schumi): Currently 6

Most hattricks in a season: (5 by Schumi in 2004): Currently 4

And, finally:

Lewis Hamilton at Mclaren vs Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes

110 Races - 54 Races

21 Wins - 22 Wins

49 Podiums - 35 Podiums

26 Poles - 23 Poles

12 Fastest laps - 14 Fastest Laps

913 Points - 900 Points

2 Hattricks - 7 Hattricks

0 Grand Slams - 2 Grand Slam

1 WDC - 2 WDC

0 WCC - WCC

Edited by GoldenColt, 28 October 2015 - 21:12.

#45 Samhain

Samhain

• 163 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 20:27

;)

Montoya is a ****ing idiot simple as that. He's only good at opening his big fat mouth that's all. He's the most embarrassing joke f1 has ever had.

Edited by Samhain, 28 October 2015 - 20:28.

#46 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 20:31

Just looking back at some old clips.

https://www.youtube....outu.be&t=2m19s

Hamilton schooling Massa and others, you'd think people would twig after 7 years :clap: . C'mon Nico pull something out the bag!

Edited by Retrofly, 28 October 2015 - 20:32.

#47 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 2,059 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 20:40

Until Rosbergs race craft improves and he stops expecting his team mate to cut him slack he will never match or beat Hamilton when all is even, having finally watched the last grand prix I was shocked how naive Rosberg was, it was always going to happen and it will keep happening until the penny drops that if you go round the outside the same thing will happen time and time again, I doubt Hamilton is interested in the polite well brought up racing some seem to think should be the norm, he,s there to win ,

#48 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 20:55

Update:

Records Lewis could equal/beat this season:

Most pole-positions in a season (15 by Seb Vettel in 2011): Currently 11

Most race wins in a season (13 by Schumi in 2004 and Vettel in 2013): Currently 10

Most points in a season (397 by Seb Vettel in 2013): Currently 327

Most fastest laps in a season (10 by Kimi and Schumi): Currently 6

Most hattricks in a season: (5 by Schumi in 2004): Currently 4

And, finally:

Lewis Hamilton at Mclaren vs Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes

110 Races - 54 Races

21 Wins - 22 Wins

49 Podiums - 35 Podiums

26 Poles - 23 Poles

12 Fastest laps - 15 Fastest Laps

913 Points - 900 Points

2 Hattricks - 7 Hattricks

0 Grand Slams - 2 Grand Slam

1 WDC - 2 WDC

0 WCC - WCC

FL count is wrong. Should add up to 26.

Thanks for the stats though :up:

#49 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 21:04

Eerm....

'He matched him in the races'
'Perfect setup'

etc etc
Then Buttons wins Japan '11 and there's praise aplenty how it's the first time Button has whooped Hamilton in the dry

Can't have it both ways

#50 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:39

Look out for Lewis turning up on WWE.  :rotfl: