Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Lauda to quit Mercedes after falling-out with Wolff?

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:03

The times is reporting that (paywall)

Sources have told The Times that Niki Lauda, the chairman who brought Hamilton to Mercedes, is considering quitting the team, possibly as soon as the end of the season.

Lauda, a three-times world champion, is one of the most recognisable and popular figures in the paddock, but he triggered a falling-out with Toto Wolff.

http://www.thetimes....icle4602805.ece

What could have happened there if its true?

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:08

For anyone thinking of buying the article to find out, it doesn't say what they might have fallen out about, btw.

#3 JesiahBlack

JesiahBlack

• 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:10

Here's another link:

http://www.foxsports...l-1227592818816

#4 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:19

That Foxnews snippet is literally just quoting word for word other news sites. At least it links to them.

#5 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:21

Could it be over the RBR engine debacle?

#6 MattK9

MattK9

• 817 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:21

So Toto is annoyed that Niki talks to the media too much when Toto is the official spokesperson for the Merc team. Talk about handbags at dawn.

#7 JesiahBlack

JesiahBlack

• 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:23

There are some articles popping out regarding the subject.

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns32373.html

#8 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:28

There are some articles popping out regarding the subject.

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns32373.html

All that link is saying is 'look what The Times is saying' about it.

#9 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:29

So Toto is annoyed that Niki talks to the media too much when Toto is the official spokesperson for the Merc team. Talk about handbags at dawn.

I wondered for years when all that chefs in the Mercedes kitchen would draw knives. :p

#10 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:31

Wow, what the rest of the grid wouldn't give to have Mercedes problems, a couple of bitching sessions between primadonna drivers and primadonna team chiefs, while the car romps on to win after win.

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:32

I wondered for years when all that chefs in the Mercedes kitchen would draw knives. :p

Didn't that already happen?

0tqUP8v.jpg

#12 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:33

Lauda does talk to the media an awful lot, the British media seem to find him more interesting that Toto at least.

What is his actual job though apart from wearing a checked shirt and stating the obvious about what a good job Lewis and/or Nico are doing?

Edited by Donkey, 03 November 2015 - 11:34.

#13 Laura23

Laura23

• 825 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:34

It was well known that Lauda was keen to do business with Red Bull but Toto shut the door on any talks pretty firmly. Lauda set up the offer made to Red Bull a few months ago, of course Red Bull never got back to them and you have to wonder if Toto did stick his nose in there by telling them the deal was never on in the first place.

One gets the feeling Toto wants Mercedes to shift into being a team who does favour the better performing driver over the course of a season, Lauda likes it to be equal as long as possible. Niki wanted Nico and Lewis to race hard in Mexico, they did of course until Mercedes went safe. Perhaps a little too safe at Toto's request despite both titles being wrapped up.

It's clear they have a difference of opinion on matters more often than not. Too many cooks spoil the broth as they say.

#14 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:35

I was also thinking of Brawn when I read that, Toto seems to be a real wolf :lol:

#15 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:37

Didn't that already happen?

0tqUP8v.jpg

Yep, was going to say that. And while since Brawns departure Lauda has repeatedly claimed to have lure Hamilton to the team, it was always obvious that it was rather Brawns presence that made him change, Lauda only being the messenger.

For what it's worth, and while I always enjoy screentime with Lauda, I don't see a possible departure having much influence on the team.

#16 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:41

Yep, was going to say that. And while since Brawns departure Lauda has repeatedly claimed to have lure Hamilton to the team, it was always obvious that it was rather Brawns presence that made him change, Lauda only being the messenger.

For what it's worth, and while I always enjoy screentime with Lauda, I don't see a possible departure having much influence on the team.

This.

#17 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:45

Lauda's comments on incidents and goings on are to the point, no bullshit and true.

:up:

30 seconds TV time with Lauda is worth more than an hour with most people in the paddock.

#18 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:47

Lauda is technically more senior than Toto isn't he? I mean he led discussions between Bernie and Daimler facilitating the signing of the Concorde Agreement. I would think that the Red Bull conversation was well within Lauda's remit, which was ultimately voted down by the main Merc board, not the motorsport board (of which Toto and Niki are part). I don't see the smoke over it. 

#19 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:56

Lauda does talk to the media an awful lot, the British media seem to find him more interesting that Toto at least.

What is his actual job though apart from wearing a checked shirt and stating the obvious about what a good job Lewis and/or Nico are doing?

Niki has no right to set up talks with anybody behind Wolff's back, without his consent. Niki owns part of the team(on paper at least), but has no executive rights whatsoever. 

edit:  AND, that is for the better, of course

Edited by Szoelloe, 03 November 2015 - 11:56.

Advertisement

#20 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:57

An off the wall suggestion - Lauda to head up a Mercedes B Team from the remnants of Manor with Booth et al running the day to day stuff.

#21 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:01

So we could have:

Red Bull "no engine" Saga:

- Red Bull quits

- Toro Rosso quits

-Renault quits

- Niki Lauda quits

Anybody else?

Ironically the only one I WANT to quit (Bernie) shows no signs of it! :p

#22 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:02

Weren't there some rumour of Lauda being a possible Bernie replacement a while back?

#23 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:05

An off the wall suggestion - Lauda to head up a Mercedes B Team from the remnants of Manor with Booth et al running the day to day stuff.

That would be a disaster. The guy is a(not in a good way) mix of Ron, Eddie Jordan, spiced with a hint of Marko. He basically ruined Jaguar in a year.

#24 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:38

Lauda is a non-executive member of the board of directors of MGP, afaik. Basically, his function is to oversee the executives of the board. In case the executive make irrational business decisions, the non executives have instruments to block that. They cannot, however, interfere in day to day business decisions of the board.

Lauda is acting as an executive. Brokering deals with RB, talking to media, taking positions about their drivers. Imo he thereby steps on Toto's territory, and is making Toto's work harder than necessary.

This was bound to happen. Make Lauda an executive, or let him go. L

#25 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:45

Good thinking - that would be awesome !

Edited by molpid, 03 November 2015 - 12:49.

#26 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:50

Lauda is technically more senior than Toto isn't he? I mean he led discussions between Bernie and Daimler facilitating the signing of the Concorde Agreement. I would think that the Red Bull conversation was well within Lauda's remit, which was ultimately voted down by the main Merc board, not the motorsport board (of which Toto and Niki are part). I don't see the smoke over it.

Doesn't Toto own a decently large chunk of Merc F1? Decently-large in the sense of impressive for an individual. I think Lauda got some shares too, but I wonder who is the more 'valuable' person there...

#27 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:58

Toto just recently said that Niki talks too much when he said that Nico has to be more aggressive. He did not look very happy which is strange because I always felt, Toto would be much more Pro-Nico than Niki.

Edited by Tourgott, 03 November 2015 - 12:59.

#28 Brod

Brod

• 1,423 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:00

Doesn't Toto own a decently large chunk of Merc F1? Decently-large in the sense of impressive for an individual. I think Lauda got some shares too, but I wonder who is the more 'valuable' person there...

Wolff and Rene Berger own 30%.

#29 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:01

Toto owns 30%, Lauda 10%.

#30 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:01

Who is Rene Berger...

#31 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:06

Shareholding is not that relevant when you don't own 50% + 1 vote.

#32 Brod

Brod

• 1,423 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:06

Who is Rene Berger...

Wolffs business partner and friend. He is also a non executive member of the board like Lauda. 

Edited by Brod, 03 November 2015 - 13:06.

#33 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:14

Lauda does what? 

I'm sure any team would manage just fine without having Lauda in the manager mix. 

#34 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:22

Niki has no right to set up talks with anybody behind Wolff's back, without his consent. Niki owns part of the team(on paper at least), but has no executive rights whatsoever. 

edit:  AND, that is for the better, of course

Wut?  :)  Jumping to conclusions much?

#35 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,388 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:24

Oh noooos! How will HAM get back from Brazil if Lauda ain't there anymore?

Edited by Brackets, 03 November 2015 - 13:24.

#36 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:27

Wolf, as Lauda is a non-executive as in no power?

#37 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:28

Oh noooos! How will HAM get back from Brazil if Lauda ain't there anymore?

In his own jet?

#38 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,388 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:29

You're ruining it.

#39 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:30

Reading some Hamilton quotes today:

Speaking on Monday, Hamilton was asked if he felt that the team had orchestrated the result. 

"I never think those kind of things," Hamilton responded.

He added: "But I know the team has felt the need to be extra warm [to Rosberg]."

When asked to elaborate, Hamilton said: "I do know what I mean, but I'm not going to say what I mean. You should ask Toto Wolff [Mercedes team boss] and Niki Lauda [Mercedes non-executive chairman].

"You should put those questions to them about how they feel about it, and what they have to do behind the scenes to keep him happy."

http://www.foxsports...p-Rosberg-happy

Lauda is a real racer and I think he always want his drivers to have an equal chance to win. In Mexico it felt to me Mercedes wanted to make sure Rosberg would win and maybe Lauda doesn't agree with this policy.

Advertisement

#40 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:30

Wolf, as Lauda is a non-executive as in no power?

Would is the Executive Director - Commercial of MGP and the head of Mercedes Motorsport. He's the most senior executive in Mercedes Motorsport.

#41 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:34

Toto and Niki may have opinions, but they can argue amoung themselves all they want. The final word has always been with Daimler Chairman Dieter Zetsche. If he wants Red Bull to get Mercedes engines they'll get them, but if he doesn't they won't. Right now he doesn't, and I can't see that changing.

#42 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:39

Would is the Executive Director - Commercial of MGP and the head of Mercedes Motorsport. He's the most senior executive in Mercedes Motorsport.

So we agree?

You're ruining it.

Sorry! lol! :up:

#43 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:42

Maybe this is good news for the other teams if it destabilises the team?

#44 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:47

Wolffs business partner and friend. He is also a non executive member of the board like Lauda.

Huh, there's something that was kept quiet. The more you know...

Toto Wolff is the head of motorsport for Mercedes and part-owner of the F1 team, so is the more important operational figure in the team. Lauda's there as non-executive chairman, to oversee the team and act as a figurehead, and there would unlikely be much change if he did leave.

#45 Graveltrappen

Graveltrappen

• 1,261 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:52

I think Lauda overstepped the mark when he 'shook' on a deal to supply the Austrian Redbull team with engines, which Wolff then argued to the board would destabilise the Mercedes team. I don't think Lauda had consulted Wolff to get a company line before his meeting and was a bit of a lone wolf.

Now lauda has been made to look like he's renegaded on an engine deal with the team with which he shares nationality.

I was never quite sure how he came to be such a 'big wig' at Mercedes anyway, especially after his poor showing as Jaguar boss.

#46 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:58

Now lauda has been made to look like he's renegaded on an engine deal with the team with which he shares nationality.

To be fair, Lauda at least cares a little bit about the sport. Not the first time he suggested something which might have hurt his own team but would be good for F1.

#47 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 14:06

So we agree?

No, Wolff has power. He is an executive, as opposed to Lauda who is a non-executive.

#48 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 14:12

To be fair, Lauda at least cares a little bit about the sport. Not the first time he suggested something which might have hurt his own team but would be good for F1.

I think that's true, but all he could have promised Red Bull is that he'd put the proposal to the Daimler Board, he can't make promises like that on his own. His position has been further undermined by the latest statement from Dieter Mateschitz telling his rivals that they're "unsporting", and claiming that RB would wipe the floor with everyone else if they only had current Mercedes or Ferrari engines. Similar comments have been made by Horner and Adrian Newey, a good example of how not to make friends, Red Bull weren't very popular even before they stupidly brought this engine situation on themselves. Bernie will no doubt cobble together some fix to try to hang onto RB, but that isn't going to benefit anyone in the longer term. If only a handful of people could be lined up against a wall in front of a firing squad, there might be some hope for F1's future, but with all that's going on, it's hard to be optimistic.

#49 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 14:14

Reading some Hamilton quotes today:

Lauda is a real racer and I think he always want his drivers to have an equal chance to win. In Mexico it felt to me Mercedes wanted to make sure Rosberg would win and maybe Lauda doesn't agree with this policy.

Yes, Lauda - the real racer said that Nioc was faster in Mexico.  End of.   

#50 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 14:17

Please don't derail the thread with Hamilton chat, folks.