Susie Wolff retiring

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#1 JuanPablo

JuanPablo

• 237 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:19

https://twitter.com/...813011309568001

Hope I linked this correctly. Susie Wolff has announced her retirement. Good luck to her in the future.

Advertisement

#2 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,964 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:24

retire from having her rich husband sort out drives for her?

#3 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:27

retire from having her rich husband sort out drives for her?

Because nobody on the grid past or present has ever got a drive due to finance or connections before.....

#4 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:37

Did she have a job? I'll get my...

#5 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:39

Sure, good luck to her. :up:

But it's hardly a big loss to the racing world. She has only scored points during two races in the last ten years, unless I'm reading her Wikipedia article wrong.

#6 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:40

Good luck to her in future endeavours.

Yes, she fell short of the talent required for a race seat in F1 but she played a hugely positive role in potentially inspiring young girls that this can be a route for them and that motorsport need not be an exclusively male preserve.

#7 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,305 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:42

Retiring at 32, so much love for her sport. :well:

#8 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:46

Retiring at 32, so much love for her sport. :well:

An odd conclusion! Someone who has been involved in the racing world since childhood is either mad or very 'in love' with the sport.

That's not the same as being good enough to compete, though - and there's no shame in that. Not everyone can be an F1 race winner.

#9 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:53

I guess she is pregnant or soon to be.

#10 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:00

Good luck in the future! It is a hard step to make that decision after being in motorsport for so long, but I think she'll be happy about it in a few years.

#11 Sebastien007

Sebastien007

• 637 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:02

A shame she didn't had even 1 single chance to participate at 1 gp. It would have been fun.

But good luck to her

#12 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,498 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:04

Well, she was slow in DTM, so she wouldn't have made the test seat at Williams without Toto there.

#13 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:04

Sorry to see her go, but at the same time pleased. Glad she didn't cost anyone else a shot at a race seat and gives a real talent like Lynn a bigger chance to shine.

#14 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:07

Because nobody on the grid past or present has ever got a drive due to finance or connections before.....

But most of them have at least won a car race. Thankfully another complete nepotistic gender-based swindle has been ended.

#15 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:08

Good luck to her in future endeavours.

Yes, she fell short of the talent required for a race seat in F1 but she played a hugely positive role in potentially inspiring young girls that this can be a route for them and that motorsport need not be an exclusively male preserve.

In my opinion she was exactly the opposite, a terrible role model for young girls interested in motorsport. Get nearly to F1 (if her publicity is to be believed) on the basis that you married a rich powerful man overriding your complete lack of ability.

#16 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:10

An odd conclusion! Someone who has been involved in the racing world since childhood is either mad or very 'in love' with the sport.

That's not the same as being good enough to compete, though - and there's no shame in that. Not everyone can be an F1 race winner.

F1 race winner? I'm still waiting for her to win a car race. Any car would do to warrant her career. 

#17 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:10

she played a hugely positive role in potentially inspiring young girls that this can be a route for them and that motorsport need not be an exclusively male preserve.

I'm sorry, but NO. 

What sort of of progressive message was she sending to young girls? Marry a shareholder in a racing team so that you can be a condition of an engine supply? 

That's a setback for women racers, to me. 

[EDIT - beaten to it]

Edited by Peat, 04 November 2015 - 09:11.

#18 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:11

I am conflicted as it is clear nepotism was involved in her getting access to any role in Williams, but I actually quite liked her and her times in testing (which are obviously totally unrepresentative) weren't too shabby and I'd have been curious to see what she could have done in a race.

Still, best of luck for the future and hopefully you'll still be around Williams, maybe bringing through a top female talent to the team! 

#19 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:16

This is Susie's moment and I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have an announcement too.

I will also be retiring from Formula 1. 

I know this will come as a blow to many; losing Susie Wolff and me from the sport you love in the same day. My and Susie's roles within F1 were equally as important, but I know it can continue without us, it can be strong again. With great talents such as Jorda and Stevens on the horizon I predict great things in this new chapter.

Edited by RedBaron, 04 November 2015 - 09:22.

Advertisement

#20 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:18

She is easy to like, seems like a nice lady, but let's be real. The F1 world won't be saddened over a lost talent

#21 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:34

Serious side note, the BBC mentioned or at least hinted at her taking on a role on Top Gear when it returns. Surely that is the case. Susie was coy in her response to that suggestion, but her retiring from Formula 1 or racing isn't big news. It doesn't get a slot on BBC Breakfast.

This has been done to get her name out there and increase her profile, she is trending on Twitter now too. With this momentum she'll probably make the papers tomorrow even if it's only a couple column inches.

They're making her 'someone' and giving her F1 credibility so when they reveal her on new Top Gear it doesn't seem like a nobody hiring.

[/Theory]

#22 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:36

Guess we can expect some Mini-Totonators now...

Edited by Marklar, 04 November 2015 - 09:37.

#23 blacky

blacky

• 2,360 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:41

In my opinion she was exactly the opposite, a terrible role model for young girls interested in motorsport. Get nearly to F1 (if her publicity is to be believed) on the basis that you married a rich powerful man overriding your complete lack of ability.

Exactly.

The sad thing is it is accepted to rail against pay drivers like Maldonado and friends, however when the name Susie Wolff comes up for discussion, who is the prototyp of a paydriver, this woman should be a role model? A clear case of double standards.

#24 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,684 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:41

Who is Susie Wolff ?!  :confused:

#25 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:44

F1 race winner? I'm still waiting for her to win a car race. Any car would do to warrant her career. 

Despite all the ifs and buts, she was participating in F1 world championship events - even if only during select practise sessions.

I am under no illusions about how she got there, but she didn't really embarrass herself during those outings either.

It wasn't good enough to land her a race seat - but then again we're still waiting for that elusive Hülkenberg podium, too. :p

Edited by Nonesuch, 04 November 2015 - 09:45.

#26 OilFour

OilFour

• 798 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:45

She just traveled with Toto to the races, but on Williams's expenses. That's about it, no?

#27 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,219 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:47

Toto's wife. Not so popular like Beckham and his wife, but still... Don't you know them?  :lol:

#28 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:47

It wasn't good enough to land her a race seat - but then again we're still waiting for that elusive Hülkenberg podium, too. :p

Oh no you didn't.

#29 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:57

If she really wanted to race then surely she would have driven GT's. Maybe an LMP2 drive. She was a decent driver. But not good enough for F1. It seemed she enjoyed the publicity of being in F1 than actually racing somewhere else.

#30 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:03

Talk about a no news news. She was basically retired already. 

That she takes part in Race of Champions is ... well ... eh ... no ... 

#31 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:10

Let the sport down. Let aspiring female drivers down. Not the best image to leave behind, and for no reason either... Shame

#32 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,684 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:19

Susie Wolf was against different F1 category for women unfortunately and now she is leaving motosport but Carmen Jorda is realistic about her chances in F1 and was/is a fan of different F1 category for women. I wont miss Susie Wolf at all because IMO she wanted to race in F1 in the most easiest way and now she is leaving because of wanting a new challenge but where did her enthusiast about motor racing go?????

Carmen Jorda knew racing in F1 is almost impossible and I appreciate her willingness for separate F1 for women.

Note: I don't want to fuel up another Different/Same F1 for Women/Men discussion because it is done and dusted already.

Edited by RYARLE, 04 November 2015 - 10:21.

#33 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:20

Susie Wolf was against different F1 category for women unfortunately but Carmen Jorda is realistic about her chances in F1 and was/is a fan of different F1 category for women. I wont miss Susie Wolf at all because she wanted to race in F1 in the most easiest way and now she is leaving because of wanting a new challenge but where did her enthusiast about motoracing go?????

Carmen Jorda knew racing in F1 is almost impossible and I appreciate her willingness for separate F1 for women.

Note: I don't want to fuel up another Different/Same F1 for Women/Men discussion because it is done and dusted already.

Oh look, you found out who she is.

#34 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,684 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:22

Oh look, you found out who she is.

Google is always our friend  :)

#35 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:25

Susie Wolf was against different F1 category for women unfortunately and now she is leaving motosport but Carmen Jorda is realistic about her chances in F1 and was/is a fan of different F1 category for women. I wont miss Susie Wolf at all because IMO she wanted to race in F1 in the most easiest way and now she is leaving because of wanting a new challenge but where did her enthusiast about motor racing go?????

Women can race in F1 against men. A separate category would be terrible.

Formula 1 needs women in overalls even just in FP1 or just in the garage. Even if they are only there because of looks or connections or money. A young girl watching F1 seeing a female driver may inspire her to get into racing, over time helping to increase the pool of female drivers to chose from, maybe with a larger pool there'll be greater talent spotted that will make it to Formula 1 on out right pace. The casual young fan won't have any idea how or why a driver is in F1, they wouldn't consider the 'pay driver' scenario, just that they are there in F1.

Note: Agreed but I can't let your comment sit as a lone voice  :p

Edited by RedBaron, 04 November 2015 - 10:30.

#36 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:26

I just don't see how this is news. 

#37 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:31

I just don't see how this is news. 

It isn't but it's been quiet about her lately. 

I don't get why, after her contract with Mercedes DTM-programme wasn't renewed, went into GT-racing instead. She would have secured a seat there within the Mercedes fold with out too much hindrance and be able to race on and inspire girls, of which we need more in motorsport, to take up racing instead of chasing this lucid F1-dream that was never on to begin with and just led her to end up as photo poser for several years. That didn't contribute too much. I'm sure toto would have been able to arrange for her to han in an F1-paddock anyway.

While at the same time we have real female racing drivers working hard on a proper racing career like Simona de Silvestro.  

#38 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,684 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:32

Women can race in F1 against men. A separate category would be terrible.

Formula 1 needs women in overalls even just in FP1 or just in the garage. Even if they are only their because of looks or connections or money. A young girl watching F1 seeing that may inspire her to get into racing, over time helping to increase the pool of female drivers to chose from, maybe with a larger pool there'll be greater talent spotted that will make it to Formula 1 on out right pace. The casual young fan won't have any idea how or why a driver is in F1, they wouldn't consider the 'pay driver' scenario, just that they are there in F1.

Women need separate category of F1 but with the same cars and tracks like F1 to show their ability by comparing their laptimes. Nobody prefer woman over man in F1 because they don't want to risk.

Women have to start from somewhere and starting form F1 is extremely difficult so i prefer different category with the same F1 cars and tracks to let women show their ability and teams in original F1 would have a clearer picture.

Edited by RYARLE, 04 November 2015 - 10:33.

#39 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 1,263 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:38

Good luck to Susie on her retirement, she's done not bad for a lass from Oban in Scotland.    

Advertisement

#40 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:39

Women need separate category of F1 but with the same cars and tracks like F1 to show their ability by comparing their laptimes. Nobody prefer woman over man in F1 because they don't want to risk.

Women have to start from somewhere and starting form F1 is extremely difficult.

We'll have to disagree on that. I don't see why women can't race in F1 with men. The problem is inspiring enough young girls to take up racing, not that women aren't talented racers.

Starting in F1 is difficult for anyone, male or female. But with more men taking up racing obviously there's a greater chance of finding a top talent that is male over female.

Teams do not care about gender. They would sign up a female driver today if she was doing what Max Verstappen is doing. But with less girls going into racing you have less of a chance of finding top female talent. That's all it is.

The last thing we need is women aspiring to win in a category filled of women only, while men race the real championship.

Edited by RedBaron, 04 November 2015 - 10:40.

#41 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,684 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:50

We'll have to disagree on that. I don't see why women can't race in F1 with men. The problem is inspiring enough young girls to take up racing, not that women aren't talented racers.

Starting in F1 is difficult for anyone, male or female. But with more men taking up racing obviously there's a greater chance of finding a top talent that is male over female.

Teams do not care about gender. They would sign up a female driver today if she was doing what Max Verstappen is doing. But with less girls going into racing you have less of a chance of finding top female talent. That's all it is.

The last thing we need is women aspiring to win in a category filled of women only, while men race the real championship.

I don't agree. Your suggestion can't help women to race in F1. We need something new and effective and IMO separate F1 for women with the same F1 cars and the same F1 tracks are the only way to go. In this case world can compare laptimes and see woman's performance in  F1 cars and original F1 teams can identify and sign talented female drivers.

#42 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:03

I don't agree. Your suggestion can't help women to race in F1. We need something new and effective and IMO separate F1 for women with the same F1 cars and the same F1 tracks are the only way to go. In this case world can compare laptimes and see woman's performance in  F1 cars and original F1 teams can identify and sign talented female drivers.

Haha let me get what you're saying here. Duplicate a multi billion dollar sporting championship for women only, make teams run 2 more cars each at their own expense (or worse still new Formula Female teams entirely) just so women can showcase their talent and get into the real Formula 1 championship?

Dude, we have lower formula already where women can show their talent against men. Or to put it far better drivers can showcase their talent against other drivers. You don't need your awful idea of Formula Female to find talent to get it into F1. You need to inspire more female talent to get into racing and run it through the already mixed gender lower formula. More women to pick from, greater chance of one with real talent rising to the top.

If you had 100 women entering the lower formulas - or even karting - every year and just 10 men entering, the chances you'd find a male driver as a top talent is greatly reduced. F1 would be dominated by women in that scenario.

It's about getting young girls into racing and increasing the female talent pool. I'm just repeating myself now, so you either get it or you don't  :wave:

Edited by RedBaron, 04 November 2015 - 11:08.

#43 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:07

Please take the 'separate championship for women?' discussion here if needed - http://forums.autosp...l-female-lineup.

This one's for discussing Wolff's retirement from the sport more directly.

#44 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:09

Well at least we still have Carmen Jorda as a big prospect for the future for women in Formula 1!

Edited by TheRacingElf, 04 November 2015 - 11:13.

#45 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:10

That is such a bad attitude dude. Don't get me wrong I'm glad this story is over as she was never going to get a seat, as she simply was never good enough, nothing more nothing less.

#46 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:12

I do find it odd she is in the ROC

#47 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:20

You maybe right, but then again you might not, but proving a negative is nearly impossible. So until we have a female WDC we will never really know.

#48 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:40

Is she pregnant?

#49 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:47

Hit a bump in her career ?

Andy

#50 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:57

Sadly blatant sexism is never far away if you scratch the surface of many motorsport fans.