Photo

Beta site header overrides "middle click" event

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:25

For example, if I want to open the forums in a new tab, I middle click on the "Forums" link in the header. The forums then open in the same tab.

Infuriating.

Advertisement

#2 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 17:01

Can you let me know which operating system and browser you're using and what you mean by "middle click"?

Are you using a non-mobile device? If you control-click or right-click to bring up a contextual menu and select "open in new tab" (or your browser's equivalent), does this work?

#3 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 00:49

OS X, the latest version (El Capitan?), Safari.

By middle-click I strictly mean a three-finger tap but this is mapped to the same event as a mouse-wheel click. Same as a ctrl-click on Windows or cmd-click on a Mac.

Open in new tab from a contextual menu works fine.

#4 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:24

Thanks for that.

I can see what you mean when I try the same thing out - I'll pass it on to our developers for a fix!

#5 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 22:14

This additional nugget is probably already past its best before date, but...on the old site, the "Previous Story" and "Next Story" links at the bottom of a news article appear to have the same behaviour  :drunk:

#6 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:17

So it seems that this has now been resolved, but there is a new problem. It no longer happens with header links, but instead happens with every link in the main body of the page.

It seems awfully amateur to override normal page interactions in this way.

#7 Grayson

Grayson

• 3,497 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 16:43

So it seems that this has now been resolved, but there is a new problem. It no longer happens with header links, but instead happens with every link in the main body of the page.

I'm not sure how that bug crept in there, but that's fixed now!