- - - - -

Formula E Season 2 Team Mate vs. Team Mate

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 15:28

So... how about we start a little thread about the team mate battles in Formula E, similar to the ones we have for F1 - except I think we can probably handle them all in ONE thread?   Some initial thoughts:

Audi Schaeffler ABT: in my humble opinion, Daniel Abt seems clearly outmatched by his team mate, and is becoming a bit of a liability in terms of ABT's title challenge - but it's hard to fire your own son, is it?

Renault eDAMS: Buemi seems to be the class of the field, and appears to be consistently outperforming Prost - but it's hard to fire your own son, is it? :rotfl:  Actually Nico is doing ok, and makes for a good #2 driver to back up the title challenge.

Mahindra:  so far a pretty good match - I would rank Heidfeld higher, but let's see how this one pans out

Venturi: Sarrazin seems to be getting stronger, and only bad luck has kept him from scoring a couple of really good results in the past few races even stretching back to the previous season.  His drive from last place in Putrajaya was fantastic.  As such, JV has his work cut out, and I fear he won't look too good in this comparison, but I still hope his learning curve will peak quickly, and it'll be a good match.

Dragon: this seems to be a really strong overall line-up.  Loic Duval is emerging as a great lost open-wheel talent, and he SHOULD and would have won in Putrajaya.  He's been my sleeper candidate for winning the title.  D'Ambrosio meanwhile keeps putting in solid performances, and I expect quite a bit from the Dragon boys in the races to come.  Also the best looking line-up! :lol:

DS Virgin: Sam Bird seems to find ways to put in high scoring performances, and his race craft is impressive.  He has to be considered one of the top favorites for the title.  JEV meanwhile isn't doing himself a lot of favors - sure had some bad luck, but compared to his team mate, he never really seems to come up with that BIG result that all of us have been expecting from him for a while now.  He needs to get a win in SOON.

Amlin Andretti: lovely line-up, my favorite in terms of drivers I like.  Robin's drive with broken suspension was amazing.  Not sure he has the car to challenge for the title, but the kid has so much talent, it's great to see him on a big-ish stage.  I fear he might wipe the floor with Simona... the Swiss Missile will need to up her game soon, she's been fairly disappointing so far.

Aguri: hat's off to Felix da Costa, he drove beautifully in Putrajaya, and really seems to belong.  I expect him to badly beat Berthon, who in my opinion was an uninspired appointment.

NextEV TCR:  these guys look in real trouble so far, so it's hard to determine who's doing the better job at the moment, but Oliver Turvey has been pretty strong.  I expect Piquet to prevail in the end, but the Brit was a decent appointment.

Trulli:  I think Salvador Duran surprised a few of us last season, and once these guys get going, he may be a good match for Liuzzi.  For now, they have other problems to worry about... I just hope they'll finally be on the grid next race :well:

Advertisement

#2 Kev00

Kev00

• 4,656 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 16:28

All i have to say is i agree with everything in the opening post.

#3 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 16:45

All i have to say is i agree with everything in the opening post.

Thread closed? :lol:

#4 Volcano70

Volcano70

• 871 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 16:47

Good idea for a thread like this!

NextEV is FE's Mclaren-Honda at the moment.

#5 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,213 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 17:14

Frijns :up: That's all I have to say right now. He's so impressive.

#6 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 17:17

Good idea for a thread like this!

NextEV is FE's Mclaren-Honda at the moment.

While Trulli is FE's Life Racing Engines.

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 18:12

Frijns :up: That's all I have to say right now. He's so impressive.

That would be the Frijns who creamed his car into the wall?  Very impressive.

#8 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 18:25

Good idea Maximilian!  :clap: 

So far, massive differences between team-mates can be found in Renault Dams, Venturi & Andretti. 

The rest is pretty much close, i hope Villeneuve raises his game up as soon as possibile, even if he could have scored points without the car change problem in Putrajaya. But i think we'll see Jacques scoring points in Punta del Este, he needs time. 

Virgin DS pair seems to be way to erratic at the moment, expecially Vergne who seems to lack some race management skills. 

Frijns is obviously a class apart from Simona, he's so impressive and i love that he joined Formula E. Can we consider he the Verstappen of the Formula E? 
Could have done great things in F1, if his bag would have been a little bit heavier. 

Antonio Felix Da Costa impressed too in Putrajaya, was going for the podium without the problem. Another talent, snobbed by F1. 

Dragon Racing battle is particularry interesting, as i think that Duval & D'Ambrosio don't like each other very much. We've seen sparks in Beijing. Those two guys are very close in terms of performance, but i would give a slight advantage to Duval, who appears to be able to qualify better. In race they are pretty much equal in terms of pace, with D'Ambrosio maybe a little bit better in energy management

In Mahindra things are very close, but i think that Bruno Senna has more speed, but he is mistake-prone, much more than Heidfeld. In Beijing Heidfeld outpaced Bruno overall, in Putrajaya just the opposite, since the free practice. We're in for a close fight! 

Edited by thegamer23, 08 November 2015 - 18:28.

#9 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 21:35

That would be the Frijns who creamed his car into the wall?  Very impressive.

:rolleyes:  everyone in the field has crashed a few times in this series at some point or other. Frijns finished 3rd with a damaged car that is a year out of date, what's bad about that result?

Edited by Prost1997T, 08 November 2015 - 21:36.

#10 Lipp

Lipp

• 2,038 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 21:43

:rolleyes:  everyone in the field has crashed a few times in this series at some point or other. Frijns finished 3rd with a damaged car that is a year out of date, what's bad about that result?

And, BRG, you read that in a post coming from a Prost!  :rotfl:

#11 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,800 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:02

There wasn't a big difference in pace between Frijns and Simona at China, so I would be cautious with them (thou I do expect Frijns to prevail simply because he's an immense talent)

#12 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 10,709 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 16:50

Bit unfair to describe BOTH Virgin drivers as erratic. Sam Bird would have had two solid races without the lockup in Bejing, he still made a good recovery. And Vergne also alluded to strangely locking brakes, so it can potentially be ignored. Plus two wins last season which is also what Piquet achieved.. 

Edited by Jordan44, 09 November 2015 - 17:18.

#13 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 17:15

Yes indeed, but it is not usually depicted as proof of their immense talent!  

Finishing second in an undamaged car might have been a better result....

#14 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:12

Am I imagining things, or did Frijns' incident happen when there was some kind of chaos on track (Duval or Buemi slowing)?... perhaps forcing evasive action, resulting in damage?  Honest question.

#15 fridge46

fridge46

• 394 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:37

Am I imagining things, or did Frijns' incident happen when there was some kind of chaos on track (Duval or Buemi slowing)?... perhaps forcing evasive action, resulting in damage?  Honest question.

Duval slowing. Frijns overtook him on the inside approaching Turn 9 (the one before the tight hairpin). Because of this, Frijns approached T9 at a tighter angle, took too much speed, got onto the broken surface and slammed into the the wall.

How he managed those last few laps with a crabbing car :confused:

Race highlights (skip to 3:45):

Edited by fridge46, 10 November 2015 - 02:39.

#16 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:40

It was a twisted shopping cart with bend wheels. Luckily these cars don't go that fast. :p

#17 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 13:15

Thanks for that, fridge46.  I thought so.  Well, one could argue he shouldn't have hit the wall anyways, but at least it wasn't really an unforced error.  So Frijns still gets full marks from me! :lol:

SenorSjon... I keep seeing some of you saying the cars don't go that fast... but when I watch the on-board footages with these cars zipping through a concrete jungle just inches from the walls, I have to say it's pretty breathtaking, and takes no less skill.  In fact it probably takes a lot MORE skill than racing on wide open race tracks with HUGE asphalt runoff areas, even at higher speeds. :drunk:

#18 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 14:01

But they top out at ~220. If I watch IndyCar, it is a real life version of PinBall on some of the street courses going 300+.

#19 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 15:55

But they top out at ~220. If I watch IndyCar, it is a real life version of PinBall on some of the street courses going 300+.

Yes, absolutely.  IndyCar is the pinnacle of motor racing, and I have nothing but love for it :love: :love: :love:

Advertisement

#20 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 16:19

Last few laps with Frijns's amazing drive  :up:

#21 Cloxxki

Cloxxki

• 472 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 17:21

Last few laps with Frijns's amazing drive  :up:

Scroll up.

#22 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:33

How I wish there were more races! :lol:

#23 paulb

paulb

• 11,218 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 21:09

This topic makes me sad because I see it as the start of the slippery slope of Formula E commentary turning into F1 level bickering.