* * * * * 3 votes

F1 silly season 2017

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#1 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:30

The 2016 seats are decided, except the Manor ones, but who gives a crap about those, lets start talking next year

What to watch next year:

- Is Rosberg staying with Merc for 2017 if he loses to Lewis again?

- Raikkonen is probably retiring, who gets the Ferrari seat?

- Massa is probably gone as well, who gets the Williams seat?

- Is Verstappen going to a big team? And which one

Fire away

Edited by charly0418, 10 November 2015 - 20:31.

Advertisement

#2 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 20:31

Some 2017 silly season from Pete Gil

http://www.skysports...-max-verstappen

- He links Verstappen more closely to Mercedes than Ferrari

- Verstappen-Hamilton might be too tempting for Merc to pass up

- Raikkonen is gone after next season

- There was interest in Bottas but says that has cooled down

- Mentions RIC but not much on him

- Grosjean is also taking a shot but he has notthing guranteed

- Perez is again on the radar, both because of form and because of the Mexican market

#3 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 21:43

I honestly can't see Rosberg staying at Mercedes if '16 is a repeat of '14 and '15. No idea as to where he could go though. That second Ferrari seat is probably the biggest unknown at the moment and Renault should do some interesting signing if they'll take more serious approach after 2016. Anyway, it could be the most interesting silly season in quite some time.

Edited by Anja, 10 November 2015 - 21:49.

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 22:15

Mercedes: Unless something serious happens Hamilton will stay. I also expect Rosberg to stay, but if he will get beaten once again next year, than he might consider to try something new (contract expires, option can be taken). But where should he go? He would have the same issue at McLaren and Ferrari against Vettel and Alonso. Red Bull will not take him. Renault is a huge gamble. Everything else has no perspective to fight for the championship. So he will stay. Mercedes also want to keep him as he fullfit the German part of the team. In case if Rosberg is leaving Mercedes has plently alternatives: Bottas who has connections with Wolff, Verstappen as a future star and the opportunity of having an fascinating driver pairing (especially if Red Bull quits) or maybe they will replace the German driver with another German driver (Wehrlein, Hulkenberg)?

Ferrari: Vettel is as safe as Hamilton is at Mercedes. Raikkonen indicated lately that he might consider to continue in 2017, but does Ferrari want to keep him? This time Bottas would be a free agent, Grosjean is at the partner team Haas and has with Allison a strong supporter. Furthermore he would fit into the #1 and #2 driver politics of Ferrari. Ricciardo and Verstappen are probably also on the list, but both have long-term contracts with Red Bull.

Williams: Both drivers have this time no option in their contract. Massa could retire after 2016 anyway, it depends on the next season. If Williams wants to re-sign Bottas than they would need this time to increase the salary which might be possible if Massa leaves. Alternatives for now are their test driver Alex Lynn and former test driver Felipe Nasr who also provides some budget which is needed. For the 2016 silly season also the likes of Stoffel Vandoorne and Nico Hulkenberg were discussed. Much depends on the financial situation and the championship position by the end of 2016.

Red Bull: Ricciardo recently extented his contract, but this is not a guarantee that he will actually stay. However, if Red Bull is competitive next year than he wont have a reason to leave. If Ricciardo wont leave than Kvyat has bad chances to stay as a promotion for Verstappen is very likely. For the unlikely case that both Red Bull cockpits are free Sainz would be also an alternative.

Force India: Hulkenberg is just one of a few driver on the grid with a contract for 2017. Unless a big team is asking for him, he will fullfit it. Perez has no contract for 2017, but a big sponsor and very strong past 1.5 years as an argument. However he earned a bad reputation during his McLaren days which might deny him the chance in a top team again, but Renault could be interested in him. Should he leave than his cockpit could be taken by a pay driver like Pastor Maldonado or Felipe Nasr. Jolyan Palmer might also fall into this category. Also possible that Mercedes junior Esteban Ocon who impressed this year at testing will get his chance. Likewise Pascal Wehrlein could also be a prospect especially if he has a good rookie seaon for Manor in 2016 (if he drives in 2016). As Force India almost secured the 5th place this year and will likely colloborate with Aston Martin next year, the financial issue might be smaller. The driver choice will depend on that.

Renault: For me it is higly unlikely that Renault will continue in 2017 with Palmer and Maldonado. Pretty sure that Maldonado will have to leave (contract expires anyway). Palmers future will depend on his debut season. There are strong indications that Renault wants a French driver. This would be Vergne or Ocon. It is even rumoured that Grosjean could return. As Vasseur is likely to be the new team chef his driver at ART Vandoorne could be on the list as well. And Perez was already discussed for 2016 at Renault. Should Rosberg leave Mercedes than Renault is probably his first alternative, also a Alonso return to Enstone was often discussed...

Toro Rosso: Unless dissapointing in his 2nd season Verstappen will likely earn a promotion to Red Bull or top teams like Ferrari or Mercedes will get him. Usually drivers at Toro Rosso are getting three seasons which means that Sainz is likely to stay unless Red Bull is lacking of driver. The most likely replacement is Pierre Gasly. Dean Stoneman and Luca Ghiotti (who will be soon a Red Bull rookie apparentely) have outsider chances.

Sauber: Ericsson has reliable supporters. It wouldnt be a surprise if he stays. Likewise Nasr has a good sponsor, but he might try something else. In any case if they replace their driver pairing the budget will be decisive: Maldonado is the first to comes to my mind for that, Gutierez could also return. But, if he is driving a good season in GP2,a Ferrari junior like Marciello could also get the cockpit, but I doubt that.

McLaren: Alonso has a contract for 2017 and confirmed that he will stay in 2017, but this doesnt mean anything. A disappointing 2016 season and he could leave. Button implied lately that he wants to take part in F1 with the new rules in 2017, but will McLaren give him another year? In any case Stoffel Vandoorne would be the first replacement. If Rosberg is really considering to leave Mercedes and Alonso leaves at the same time McLaren than he might also be a possibility.

Manor: It will be a fight about who will offer most. Besides the current line-up people like Haryanto or King are possible. Mercedes junior Wehrlein as well. Pretty difficult to predict that.

Haas: Its possible that the driver lineup will stay. But likewise it is also possible that Ferrari will place a young driver like Marciello or Fuoco there. And it could be also possible that Haas will take a American driver like Rossi.

#5 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 22:44

Mercedes: Hamilton, ?

Ferrari: Vettel, ?

Williams: Bottas, Nasr

Red Bull: Ricciardo, Verstappen.

Force India: Hulkenberg, Perez.

Renault: ?, ?

Toro Rosso: Sainz, ?.

Sauber: ?, ?

McLaren: Alonso, Van Doorne

Manor: ?, ?

Haas: Grossjean, Gutierrez.

Fitting drivers in to the '?' will be a mix of current, reserve and newcomers. Rosberg and Kvyat I feel pretty confident will have a seat, and unless Venezuela default then Maldonado will have one as well. With Wehrlein being the annointed Mercedes driver, he will be somewhere on the grid and possibly even in a Mercedes.

The second Ferrari seat will be very very very interesting, I do not expect either of Hulkenberg, Perez or Bottas to be in play there. Contractually I do not think Verstappen can be in play for 2017 so may be a stop-gap seat for someone, if that were to be the case as things stand right now, that would be Vergne, but 2 years out of a seat is a long time (The Dane in me want it to be Magnussen, but sadly think I have seen the last of him in F1).

I think 2017 will be without Button, unless Alonso once again tilt the whole driver market then McLaren simply can not let a talent like Van Doorne walk away. I expect Massa to be done as well, however he could re-surface at Sauber.

It is close to impossible to predict which of the Junior formula drivers will be in F1 for the 2017 season, at least one of them will, can be either of:

Rowland

Ghiotto

Ocon

Haryanto

Marciello

Fuoco

Harvey

Visser

And any number who have not even registered with me yet.

:cool:

#6 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 22:57

The 2017 silly season will be very interesting, mostly because I think the early-2000 generation will retire: I don't see Massa, Raikkonen and Button being on the grid anymore after 2016 and if McLaren suffers another terrible season, Alonso might call it a day as well. 

Prediction:

Mercedes: Hamilton/Ricciardo (Vettel will probably veto Ricciardo at Ferrari)

Ferrari: Vettel/Verstappen

Red Bull: Kvyat/Sainz

Williams: Rosberg/Bottas

McLaren: Alonso/Vandoorne

Force India: Hulkenberg/Ocon

Renault: Perez/Vergne

Toro Rosso: Gasly/Leclerc (I think the latter could be a sensation)

Sauber: Nasr/Wehrlein

Haas: Grosjean/Marciello

Manor: whoever pays the most

#7 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 23:10

The 2017 silly season will be very interesting, mostly because I think the early-2000 generation will retire: I don't see Massa, Raikkonen and Button being on the grid anymore after 2016 and if McLaren suffers another terrible season, Alonso might call it a day as well. 

Prediction:

Red Bull: Kvyat/Sainz

Williams: Rosberg/Bottas

McLaren: Alonso/Vandoorne

Force India: Hulkenberg/Ocon

Renault: Perez/Vergne

Toro Rosso: Gasly/Leclerc (I think the latter could be a sensation)

Sauber: Nasr/Wehrlein

Haas: Grosjean/Marciello

Manor: whoever pays the most

I think I'd put money on every one of your predictions being wrong, bar McLaren, possibly.

#8 ButtonForEver

ButtonForEver

• 369 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 23:13

Mercedes: Hamilton / Bottas

Ferrari: Vettel / Grosjean

Red Bull: Ricciardo / Kvyat

McLaren: Button / Alonso

Williams: Rosberg / Verstappen

Force India: Hulkenberg / VanDoorne

Toro Rosso: Sainz / Nasr

Lotus: Maldonado / Palmer 

Haas: Perez / Gutierrez

Manor: Wehrlein / Lynn

No more Sauber in F.1.

Edited by ButtonForEver, 10 November 2015 - 23:17.

#9 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 23:25

I think either Rosberg, or Grosjean will be in the 2nd Ferrari for 2017. Beyond that, I have not formulated even a wild guess.

#10 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,649 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 23:33

Mercedes: Hamilton Verstappen
Ferrari: Vettel Grosjean
Red Bull Energy: Ricciardo Sainz
Renault: Rosberg Alonso
Aston Martin Mercedes: Button Perez
Williams Mercedes: Bottas Hulkenberg
McLaren Honda: Vandoorne Magnussen
Toro Rosso Ferrari: Kvyat
Sauber Ferrari: Nasr Maldonado
Manor Mercedes: Rossi
Haas Ferrari: Palmer Gutierrez

Edited by le chat noir, 10 November 2015 - 23:35.

#11 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 00:42

I would LOVE Rosberg at Ferrari, much as I hate it though, two Germans may not be on the cards.

#12 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:13

:up:  :up:  :up:

#13 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:55

I see that people are once again predicting the end of Jenson's career.

I suppose that eventually they will be right, he won't go on for ever. :)

#14 Volcano70

Volcano70

• 871 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:17

Mercedes- Hamilton, coming off a 4th WDC, looks to keep his pace going against promising youngster Max Verstappen, who took 3 dominating race wins last year for Toro Rosso. Toto decides to part ways with Rosberg, who finished a disappointing 5th in last years standings. For the second year in a row, Esteban Ocon will remain as reserve driver after jumping from DTM, the series he finished 3rd in last year, to GP2 with Racing Engineering. 

Ferrari- Last years 6 time race winner Sebastian Vettel, who missed out on a 5th WDC due to reliability problems causing DNF's in Sochi and Brazil. Joining the German is Finn driver Valterri Bottas, who joined Ferrari after scoring a shock win in the wet Sepang event. He replaces the retiring Raikkonen. Bottas, unsure of his 2017 Whereabouts, had done multiple tests for Ferrari's GT team, also hinted at Ferrari's upcoming project of entering an engine into Formula E, most likely where 2017 reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez will end up for extra seat time.

Williams- Nico Rosberg headlines this historic team, as he is lucky to find a competitive drive in Formula One. Sergio Perez makes a surprising move from the podium-contending Aston Martin-Mercedes to Williams, who can score points easily. With 2016 GP2 champion Alex Lynn already scoring a drive with another team, Williams looks to the promising Nick Cassidy, who won the GP3 title, and moves to Super Formula for the year along with his reserve role.

Aston Martin- Many fans wanted to see him in a top car, but in 2015 there hoped seemed non-existent. Aston Martin put this talent to use, winning in Baku and his home GP at Hockenheim, 4th place in the standing last year Nico Hulkenburg leads the Aston Martin squad into the battle that is the 2017 F1 season. Joining him will be another veteran, Daniel Riccardo, who left the Red Bull squad after a crash with his then-teammate Kvyat in Brazil, causing a 5 car pileup taking out Verstappen (3rd in points in Brazil), Rosberg (4th in points in Brazil), and Rio Haryanto. Speaking of Haryanto, he will become the third driver, moving from a second-to-last in the standing drive with Manor.

Red Bull- Red Retains Daniil Kvyat, who is content in his position as lead driver. Joining him will be Toro Rosso graduate Carlos Sainz Jr., who gave the Junior team a double podium in both Montreal and Hungary. Antonio Felix Da Costa and Sebastian Buemi will split reserve roles.

Mclaren- Fernando Alonso continues on leading the Honda-powered team, as Honda showed improvements in late 2016 and pre-season testing, as Alonso scored 3rd in COTA and Button 3rd in Brazil. The 16-season F1 career is over for Jenson Button, as he turns to IMSA in an interesting move. The most poorly-kept secret in the 2016 garage was Button's retirement and next year's debut of Stoffel Vandoorne replacing Button. Vandoorne, who finished 3rd in the Super Formula championship to former F1 drivers Kaziuki Nakajima and Kamui Kobayashi. Seregy Sirotkin will assume reserve roles. Sirotkin said," It will be a pleasure working with an well experienced team that knows everything about the mechanics of Formula One, and the need another promising talent to fill the reserve role, as it would be better to have a good driver than one who doesn't know much about F1 mechanics."

Haas- Romain Grosjean returns to the American team, hoping that 2018 will be his chance to land his role of Ferrari driver. For now, he will continue with Haas, a team that had a stable debut, which is good for new teams. Joining the team is Alexander Rossi, who replaces Esteban Gutierrez. Gutierrez scored 0 points in 2016, and was replaced by Rossi for COTA. Taking Reserve driver roles will be 2016 European F3 champ Charles Leclerc.

Renault- Renault cleans out the visible remnants of the lotus team and fully establishes the Renault Team. His third team in 4 years, swede Marcus Ericsson joins Renault on a high note, after scoring a career best 3rd at Monza. However he missed Silverstone after a freak accident at Baku where his car hit a wall where it was not secured, Ericsson then left the track and hit a concrete pole, he suffered bruised feet. Joining Ericsson will be Alex Lynn, last year's GP2 champion. Lynn is the first GP2 champion since Romain Grosjean to go straight from GP2 to F1. Competing in GP2 for his second season, Felix Rosenqvist joined the team for the young drivers test and reserve driver roles.

Sauber- Felipe Nasr and Banco De Brazil continue racing and sponsoring Sauber, as it is their 3rd season together. Coming off a strong 3rd place effort in GP2 last season, Raffaele Marciello will move from FP1 driver to full time driver for Sauber, replacing the migrating Marcus Ericsson. Oliver Rowland is looking to become the first British driver since Johnny Herbert in 1998 to drive for Sauber, something he could accomplish next year.

Toro Rosso- An all-new lineup graces the Red Bull Junior team, as Red Bull young driver Pierre Gasly enters Formula 1. Filling the 2nd seat will be former Mclaren Works driver Kevin Magnussen, who tested for Toro Rosso last year, as Rio Haryanto took the 2nd Manor seat. Toro Rosso's reserve driver if they need him will be Dean Stoneman.

Manor- Returning driver and former DTM Champion Pascal Wehrlein will again drive at Manor for a move to Mercedes hopefully later in his career. Wehrlein may have moved to Aston Martin to fill he seat vacated by Sergio Perez until Daniel Riccardo filled that open slot. Taking the #2 drive at Manor is 2016 Formula 3.5 V8 Champion Jazeman Jafaar. Brit Joylon Palmer takes over as FP1 driver (reserve driver).

My Prediction of 2017 F1, but still 16.6 months away.

*verstappen won't probably win three races in 2016, nor will the AM takeover happen in 2016. Ericsson won't hit that barrier and maybe GUT will score a point. But, all in all, who knows? anything's possible in motorsport.  ;) 

Edit: sorry i wasted your time.....

Edited by Volcano70, 11 November 2015 - 03:18.

#15 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:25

Verstappen won't drive for Ferrari or Mercedes as long as ham and vettel are there.

#16 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:42

Ferrari-Ferrari; S. Vettel & D. Ricciardo

Mercedes-Mercedes; L. Hamilton & M. Verstappen

McLaren-Honda; F. Alonso & S. Vandoorne

Williams-Mercedes; V. Bottas & N. Rosberg

Aston Martin-Mercedes; N. Hulkenberg & E. Ocon

Renault-Renault; S. Perez & J. Button

Red Bull-Honda; D. Kvyat & C. Sainz Jr.

Haas-Ferrari; R. Grosjean & K. Magnussen

Manor-Mercedes; A. Lynn & P. Wehrlein

Toro Rosso folds and its assets merge with a failing Sauber to make Sauber-Ferrari; S. Sirotkin & F. Nasr

Edited by Jimisgod, 11 November 2015 - 05:43.

#17 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:41

Yes. If they want to keep him. 

Up in the air. Outside chance Max Verstappen but it's a tall order to get him released from Red Bull. I'd say Grosjean is in with a good chance. 

Not sure he is, but also up in the air. 

Red Bull. If they are still around. And are still a big competitive team. But it's a tall order to get him out of the Red Bull contract. The only one who would be able to is Ferrari. 

#18 AlguersuariJA

AlguersuariJA

• 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:16

Verstappen is barely better than Sainz Jr., I can't see him in a big team (besides RBR) any time soon.
BTW. I still think Max should have prove his worth in GP3 or GP2 first.

Edited by AlguersuariJA, 11 November 2015 - 08:38.

#19 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,449 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:20

The 2016 seats are decided, except the Manor ones, but who gives a crap about those, lets start talking next year

What to watch next year:

Fire away

A lot of people who back a real racing organisation.

Advertisement

#20 RiccardoPatrese

RiccardoPatrese

• 1,439 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:24

Verstappen is barely better than Sainz Jr., I can't see him in a big team (besides RBR) aby time soon.
BTW. I still think Max should have prove his worth in GP3 or GP2 first.

Lucky for Max that the TP's think otherwise.

#21 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,928 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:19

What to watch next year:

Fire away

- Rosberg will stay but watch out for Pascal Wehrlein: he is the most likely candidate to replace him (ideal nationality also)

- Romain Grosjean replaces Kimi

- Massa will be replaced by Alex Lynn or by Felipe Nasr

- I hope not, arrogant little twit Max, but he will probably be in a Red Bull

Edited by William Hunt, 11 November 2015 - 09:20.

#22 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:21

Mercedes: Hamilton Verstappen
Ferrari: Vettel Grosjean
Red Bull Energy: Ricciardo Sainz
Renault: Rosberg Alonso
Aston Martin Mercedes: Button Perez
Williams Mercedes: Bottas Hulkenberg
McLaren Honda: Vandoorne Magnussen
Toro Rosso Ferrari: Kvyat
Sauber Ferrari: Nasr Maldonado
Manor Mercedes: Rossi
Haas Ferrari: Palmer Gutierrez

Verstappen has a four-year-contract with Red Bull, so I think he will graduate for Red Bull in 2017.

Can't see Rosberg or Alonso at Renault because I don't think Renault is going to be a top team. I think Rosberg will stay at Mercedes or move to Williams. Alonso will stay at McLaren or retire.

HĆ¼lkenberg has a contract with Force India until the end of 2017, so I think he will stay there.

Magnussen back to McLaren is very unlikely after Magnussen was thrown out of the team via e-mail...

At Toro Rosso there could be a place for Red Bull Junior driver Gasly.

#23 RiccardoPatrese

RiccardoPatrese

• 1,439 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:26

You really hate him, don't you? What did he do to you and why would you call him arrogant? It's hard to find a more down-to-earth driver in F1 then VES.

#24 BT44/45

BT44/45

• 170 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:48

... Visser ...

:lol:

#25 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:50

For those seeing Verstappen at Ferrari, remember how overly cautious they always are at choosing their drivers. I'd be simply shocked if they were to pick him up so soon.

#26 BT44/45

BT44/45

• 170 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:54

You really hate him, don't you? What did he do to you and why would you call him arrogant? It's hard to find a more down-to-earth driver in F1 then VES.

not hard at all. i give you two : hĆ¼lkenberg and grosjean.

Edited by BT44/45, 11 November 2015 - 09:54.

#27 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:00

Maybe not arrogant, but his age shows pretty often.

#28 RiccardoPatrese

RiccardoPatrese

• 1,439 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:10

not hard at all. i give you two : hĆ¼lkenberg and grosjean.

Two out of 20? Makes me wonder how arrogant those other 17 drivers are if Max' already is called arrogant. I know the guy a little bit and there is nothing what made me call him arrogant.

#29 RiccardoPatrese

RiccardoPatrese

• 1,439 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:12

I don't agree, he's pretty mature for a 18 year old but still a rookie so he needs to gain experience although his learning curve is pretty steap.

Another year at TR wouldn't harm him.

#30 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:21

Verstappen has a four-year-contract with Red Bull, so I think he will graduate for Red Bull in 2017.

Can't see Rosberg or Alonso at Renault because I don't think Renault is going to be a top team. I think Rosberg will stay at Mercedes or move to Williams. Alonso will stay at McLaren or retire.

HĆ¼lkenberg has a contract with Force India until the end of 2017, so I think he will stay there.

Magnussen back to McLaren is very unlikely after Magnussen was thrown out of the team via e-mail...

At Toro Rosso there could be a place for Red Bull Junior driver Gasly.

Agree as already said above in my assessment. But I disagree about Rosberg. If he is leaving Mercedes than he will try to get something where he has the chance to win one day a championship. And thats more likely at Renault than with Williams. However his alternatives are so bad that driving at Mercedes alongside Hamilton will be always his best chance, so Im expecting him to stay.

#31 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,601 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:24

Verstappen won't drive for Ferrari or Mercedes as long as ham and vettel are there.

Why?

I believe you are (half) Belgian? Just out of curiosity, do you think Vandoorne is arrogant or down to earth?

Examples please   ;)

I hope for F1 sake that if Mercedes and Ferrari remain the dominant teams Rosberg and Raikkonen get replaced in 2017 with more exciting prospects.

#32 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:48

The sense of this thread is not to talk and discuss whether you like Verstappen or not.

I also dont believe that he will drive in 2017 for Mercedes and Ferrari, he has a contract with Red Bull and both Ferrari and Mercedes have already superiour drivers like Vettel and Hamilton which would make it needless to spend a lot money to get Verstappen out of his contract. Furthermore Ferrari has a clear #1 driver politics and they are always carefull in their driver choice. Mercedes is also happy with their driver pairing and strongly prefer to have a German driver: they are preparing Wehrlein to replace Rosberg one day. Verstappen would be a replacement for Hamilton somewhere in the future.

#33 tifosii

tifosii

• 474 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:51

I think 2017 Mclarenā€˜s lineup would still be Alonso and Button.

and Verstappen won't go to  Mercedes and Ferrari in 2017,maybe go to Redbull

Ferrari won't sign a 20 years old driver,it's rediculous

As for Mercedes,their lineup still remain Hamilton and Rosberg,maybe Rosberg go to Ferrari,and Mercedes sign Bottas or other driver

Edited by tifosii, 11 November 2015 - 10:55.

#34 taz

taz

• 554 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:57

I think it's Grosjean's intention of going to Ferrari for 2017 and this seems very likely with Allison being there..

If Grosjean stays at Haas, Perez could also be an option

#35 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:07

Don't forget to play in the 2017 Silly Season Trophy!

I'm keeping my mouth shut on what I think will happen until the deadline ends on that game. :p  

Edited by noikeee, 11 November 2015 - 11:07.

#36 BT44/45

BT44/45

• 170 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 13:03

Two out of 20? Makes me wonder how arrogant those other 17 drivers are if Max' already is called arrogant. I know the guy a little bit and there is nothing what made me call him arrogant.

okay. i give you two more ... button and ricciardo. i could go on, but i have a feeling that that would be futile. and anyway, my point was that it isn't hard at all to find (more or less) down-to-earth F1 drivers. of course i don't know any of these guys personally, only from what i see on the telly. so, i could be completely wrong.

to stay on topic ...

2017 grid ...

- merc : hamilton / ricciardo

- ferrari : vettel / grosjean

- red bull : kvyat / verstappen

- mclaren : alonso / vandoorne

- williams : bottas / perez

- renault : rosberg / wanting for a better (free) french driver ... let's go for vergne right now ...

- force india aston martin : hĆ¼lkenberg / ocon

- haas : gutierrez / rossi

- sauber : maldonado / any other driver with a big wallet ... haryanto perhaps?

- manor : after the 2015 exodus of some key personnel ... i don't see manor on the 2017 grid.

- toro rosso : sainz / stoneman

#37 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,601 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 13:23

The sense of this thread is not to talk and discuss whether you like Verstappen or not.

I also dont believe that he will drive in 2017 for Mercedes and Ferrari, he has a contract with Red Bull and both Ferrari and Mercedes have already superiour drivers like Vettel and Hamilton which would make it needless to spend a lot money to get Verstappen out of his contract. Furthermore Ferrari has a clear #1 driver politics and they are always carefull in their driver choice. Mercedes is also happy with their driver pairing and strongly prefer to have a German driver: they are preparing Wehrlein to replace Rosberg one day. Verstappen would be a replacement for Hamilton somewhere in the future.

It can be dangerous to mention Verstappen on this forum these days but I'll have a go anyway.

It won't be needless if they believe Verstappen is a once in a lifetime talent. 

Mercedes has shown a strong interest in Max before as has Ferrari who will probably get access to his data if the engine deal with Toro Rosso goes through. So I wouldn't rule out both Mercedes and Ferrari trying to get him for 2017 (and spend a lot of money) if Max keeps performing like he has been performing in his rookie year so far. It's pretty clear though that Red Bull won't let him go that easily.

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 13:30

It can be dangerous to mention Verstappen on this forum these days but I'll have a go anyway.

It won't be needless if they believe Verstappen is a once in a lifetime talent. 

Mercedes has shown a strong interest in Max before as has Ferrari who will probably get access to his data if the engine deal with Toro Rosso goes through. So I wouldn't rule out both Mercedes and Ferrari trying to get him for 2017 (and spend a lot of money) if Max keeps performing like he has been performing in his rookie year so far. It's pretty clear though that Red Bull won't let him go that easily.

He is 18 years old, they have world class drivers, dont want trouble and they stil can get Verstappen when he is a little bit older (which is stil extremely young). It is not like that a driver would make nowadays the huge difference.

#39 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 14:05

Why?

I can't describe it properly but I feel like Ferrari and Mercedes already have their respective star driver. No need to disrupt all this.

It also goes the other way around ofc. We are talking about two of the best drivers. If Verstappen loses out to one of them (also not only over one but more season), the hype will most certainly be gone. 

I see Verstappen as a future replacement of Vettel and Ham. But there is no rush. He has at least 15 years ahead of him. 

And on top of all that, I'm certain RBR made sure he'll stay with them for a very long time.

Advertisement

#40 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 15:55

Ricciardo is going straight to Ferrari, the only exception I can see being if Vettel wins in 2016 and the team shovels praise upon him for their first championship since 2007-2008.

#41 Cloxxki

Cloxxki

• 472 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 16:55

Curious that all of the above are seeing Red Bull on the 2017 grid, but without Verstappen. Especially after a 2016 with TR, I don't see him pass up the mothership unless they've spectacularly fallen off the pace and are not showing any 2017 perspective. Both Vettel and Hamilton have enough WDC's, why would they veto the kid? Strong expression of lack of belief in self that would be. Why would a team pay a driver 30M just to keep other fast drivers out by veto? It's about the company result for them, not the driver.

Outlandish as 2017 MV speculation may seem, it is no secret he did speak with those team for testing/career side track roles. And especially Merc has been showing this season to be a fan. Perhaps part ofntheir agenda to come across as a sports enthusiast brand, but still. I don't see MV walking away from a seat a RB just like that. Unless they are firmly #4 in the WCS, or less.
Right now I wish F1 was like Netflix series. One weekend after release to see the whole season.

#42 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 17:31

Please people this is a 2017 silly season thread, please stop trying to make everything about Max Verstappen. 

#43 sportingcp

sportingcp

• 246 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 17:39

I can see Rosberg going to Williams. Then Mercedes will either go with Bottas or Verstappen (maybe Hulk if they want a german) and if Bottas leaves, Williams will probably partner ROS with either Hulk or Nasr. The most interesting/unpredictable is the Ferrari 2nd seat (RIC, GRO, PER, HUL?) and the Renault line-up. I donĀ“t see Verstappen at Ferrari, at least for now. It will be very interesting also to see what Alonso does if McHonda continues to struggle.

#44 RiccardoPatrese

RiccardoPatrese

• 1,439 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 17:50

Please people this is a 2017 silly season thread, please stop trying to make everything about Max Verstappen.

So we can't discuss VES future in the silly season thread and can't discuss his performances in the SAI vs VES thread?

#45 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 18:00

It depends on whether Williams rate Rosberg after his last time at the team, I imagine there's a hell of a lot of his data floating around that they can refer to.  I mean in a way it's a decent fit, guy needing his career rebooting going to a team that could do with a big name racer (should Bottas leave), but I am not sure it will happen unless the data from his first time was outstanding.  I do remember him doing a very decent job though.  I just wouldn't be surprised to see some more unexpected moves in 2017 and Bottas may well end up being forced to stay if no 'better' team chases him.  I am still holding out for Button to replace Massa in 2017. 

#46 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 18:03

Tbh it's well possible the whole 2017 silly season could be all dependent on Max Verstappen. But I think it's going to play out more conservatively and he'll just get promoted to Red Bull. This means one of the Red Bull drivers will have to leave and it seems everyone on the Silly Season game has had the same idea I've had - Kvyat would fit very well as the new Renault lead driver then.

... but it can still go a lot of different ways. Kvyat's almost matching Ricciardo lately. What if Ricciardo's the one that is released? Or if they're happy enough with their current duo, or Max doesn't keep impressing as we expect, can they keep him at Toro Rosso under the current contract? Or he's thrown into the open driver market causing silly season to go silly and likely all about him.

#47 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 18:05

So we can't discuss VES future in the silly season thread and can't discuss his performances in the SAI vs VES thread?

So far we had in this thread

• why Verstappen should have gone to GP2 instead of F1
  • why he is overrated
  • why people hate Verstappen
  • why Verstappen is arrogant
  • why Verstappen is not Belgian
  • if other drivers on the grid also dislike him
  • whether he has shown his age often

Nothing of that has to do with his future.

Edited by Marklar, 11 November 2015 - 18:13.

#48 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 18:09

Tbh it's well possible the whole 2017 silly season could be all dependent on Max Verstappen. But I think it's going to play out more conservatively and he'll just get promoted to Red Bull. This means one of the Red Bull drivers will have to leave and it seems everyone on the Silly Season game has had the same idea I've had - Kvyat would fit very well as the new Renault lead driver then.

... but it can still go a lot of different ways. Kvyat's almost matching Ricciardo lately. What if Ricciardo's the one that is released? Or if they're happy enough with their current duo, or Max doesn't keep impressing as we expect, can they keep him at Toro Rosso under the current contract? Or he's thrown into the open driver market causing silly season to go silly and likely all about him.

I cant imagine that Red Bull will get a rid off Ricciardo. He has already a too high status (same for Verstappen). Kvyat will just stay at Red Bull if Ricciardo want to leave or if Ferrari/Mercedes really want to buy Verstappen out of his contract. You saw with Vergne that even being faster doesnt mean that you will get promoted/will stay.

#49 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 18:11

I don't agree, he's pretty mature for a 18 year old but still a rookie so he needs to gain experience although his learning curve is pretty steap.

Another year at TR wouldn't harm him.

This is the problem, it's all off topic. 

#50 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 18:23

I cant imagine that Red Bull will get a rid off Ricciardo. He has already a too high status (same for Verstappen). Kvyat will just stay at Red Bull if Ricciardo want to leave or if Ferrari/Mercedes really want to buy Verstappen out of his contract. You saw with Vergne that even being faster doesnt mean that you will get promoted/will stay.

I agree Ricciardo's got a higher status and at the moment you couldn't possibly imagine him getting booted, but Kvyat's been getting closer, if Kvyat keeps that improvement trend and beats him more often, whilst Verstappen keeps on doing mini-miracles, the situation and perception might change quickly. They might do the math and realize well we've got 2 quick youngsters, why retain the older guy.