* * * * * 3 votes

F1 silly season 2017

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4001 replies to this topic

#3401 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:07

Any news on Maldanaldo making a return and joining Mercedes by buying one of Lewis's or Nico's contracts.  :rotfl:

soso-548ad49d29dd1.jpg

Edited by f1paul, 03 August 2016 - 19:08.

Advertisement

#3402 Saivelynn10

Saivelynn10

• 219 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:09

Any news on Maldanaldo making a return and joining Mercedes by buying one of Lewis's or Nico's contracts.  :rotfl:

Button Leaves McLaren > McLaren has Eric Boullier > Eric was from Lotus > Maldonado was from Lotus > Maldonado at McLaren.  :stoned:

#3403 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,714 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:11

It will be very very hard for Magnussen to continue as a F1 driver if not retained by Renault, Indycar or WEC would be his future. I do not see anything special in Bottas, I get Ocon, I get Perez as viable candidates but Bottas I can not see having any appeal for Renault.

:cool:

#3404 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:21

Claire Williams has made it amply clear that she is inclined to replace both drivers if she had Button and Perez. A  damning indictment of Bottas who not so long ago was talked about as a replacement for Kimi at Ferrari. how times change.

Not sure if that is true. I have also seen an interview on video from last weekend where she was telling that continuing with Bottas would be in her (and Williams's) hopes and high interests.

So if she is telling different kind of stories depending on the media she is interviewed with, I do not know what to think.

Edited by Jvr, 03 August 2016 - 19:21.

#3405 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,989 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:23

Not sure if that is true. I have also seen an interview on video from last weekend where she was telling that continuing with Bottas would be in her (and Williams's) hopes and high interests.

So if she is telling different kind of stories depending on the media she is interviewed with, I do not know what to think.

Most recent quotes is what I am talking about. Button and Perez seem to be at the top of Williams' list

Edited by Quickshifter, 03 August 2016 - 19:23.

#3406 Jvr

Jvr

• 7,598 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:24

Most recent quotes is what I am talking about. Button and Perez seem to be at the top of Williams' list

Is that a story by a reporter on paper or in the Internet? Since I saw the video of her talking to the camera.

Edited by Jvr, 03 August 2016 - 19:36.

#3407 Button4life

Button4life

• 6,154 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:44

Button and Perez in the same team. Madness!

Ugh, not again. I prefer Button and Bottas

#3408 VolvoT5

VolvoT5

• 3,178 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:48

I can't be the only person that thinks Button and Bottas as a driver line up has to be one of the dullest on the grid  and is clearly a symptom of Williams play it safe mentality with a lack of creativity or ambition.    By hiring Button they would literally be trying to recreate something from the past rather than looking forward  and Bottas is underwhelming, I don't see any real flare or fire in his belly at all. 

#3409 VolvoT5

VolvoT5

• 3,178 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:50

Also with the Perez thing......... in my mind it is questionable whether Williams is a better team than Force India really.  Williams seem to be going backwards lately.   I think if he can get a long term deal Renault is the place to be at for Perez.... manufacturer backed team with a recent (2012/13) history of actually winning races and scoring regular podiums. 

#3410 Saivelynn10

Saivelynn10

• 219 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 20:11

Also with the Perez thing......... in my mind it is questionable whether Williams is a better team than Force India really.  Williams seem to be going backwards lately.   I think if he can get a long term deal Renault is the place to be at for Perez.... manufacturer backed team with a recent (2012/13) history of actually winning races and scoring regular podiums. 

Williams seems to be a team that can do a lot with not much money. That's not to say FI hasn't been doing that, but we have the comfort knowing that they'll actually make it year after year. Plus, Williams can deliver higher peak performance when all goes well. The thing with Perez or Button is this may possibly be Buttons last team whilst this most likely is just a stepping stone for Perez, either way, this isn't a long term prospect for Williams which is why Bottas must be extremely highly regarded there as he's proven to be so loyal already. Sadly, Massa is just on his way out. 

Edited by Saivelynn10, 03 August 2016 - 20:11.

#3411 messy

messy

• 7,510 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 20:24

I feel sorry for Bottas really. I think his stock is plummeting through little fault of his own. Williams struck gold at the start of 2014 with the Merc engine and a very neat car, propelling him from backmarking rookie to impressively mature frontrunner. Since then they've fallen slowly backwards and he's getting less and less chances to compete at the front, but he's still beating Massa, he's still impressing when he gets the chance (Canada) and probably still driving as well as he was in 2014. It shows how much the perception of a driver's performance is tied to the car they're in I guess.

#3412 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,989 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 21:05

Is that a story by a reporter on paper or in the Internet? Since I saw the video of her talking to the camera.

http://en.f1i.com/ne...z-interest.html

#3413 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 21:14

'Considering if available' is completely different to 'going to take him if available' though.

Edited by Marklar, 03 August 2016 - 21:14.

#3414 Montie

Montie

• 1,845 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 21:40

I like all the attention Perez is getting, he is a good driver, but is he WDC material? I am not convinced.

#3415 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 21:52

I like all the attention Perez is getting, he is a good driver, but is he WDC material? I am not convinced.

He's solid (those podiums weren't all luck) and brings a good sum of Mexican pesos.

#3416 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 5,003 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 23:13

According to Autohebdo there are only three contenders for two Renault seats:

- Bottas
- Perez
- Ocon

Perez will be out of the equation if Renault signs a contract with Telefonica Movistar this summer as main sponsor of the team.

I'd agree to this list, but I think Ocon is secured.

#3417 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 23:21

I can't be the only person that thinks Button and Bottas as a driver line up has to be one of the dullest on the grid  and is clearly a symptom of Williams play it safe mentality with a lack of creativity or ambition.    By hiring Button they would literally be trying to recreate something from the past rather than looking forward  and Bottas is underwhelming, I don't see any real flare or fire in his belly at all.

Well, if they successfully recreate 2009 it will seem like a pretty remarkable decision! Button goes from driving a Honda to a Mercedes powered car in a year with major rule changes? Hmmm...

#3418 VolvoT5

VolvoT5

• 3,178 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:22

Well, if they successfully recreate 2009 it will seem like a pretty remarkable decision! Button goes from driving a Honda to a Mercedes powered car in a year with major rule changes? Hmmm...

I'm sure Jenson would be pleased about Williams recreating their 2009 season where they finished 7th in the constructors and didn't even score a podium...  :confused:

#3419 VolvoT5

VolvoT5

• 3,178 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:28

Williams seems to be a team that can do a lot with not much money. That's not to say FI hasn't been doing that, but we have the comfort knowing that they'll actually make it year after year. Plus, Williams can deliver higher peak performance when all goes well. The thing with Perez or Button is this may possibly be Buttons last team whilst this most likely is just a stepping stone for Perez, either way, this isn't a long term prospect for Williams which is why Bottas must be extremely highly regarded there as he's proven to be so loyal already. Sadly, Massa is just on his way out. 

Force India probably have even less money than Williams as they don't get the special deal from Bernie that Williams gets for historical reasons.    Williams lucked into an ultra dominant engine in 2014 & to an extent this carried over to 2015.  I think this flattered their car.   Now the engine performance gap is closing up a bit they look to be losing ground rapidly... they are a distance 4th this year with a very real possibility they could lose out to Force India by the end of the year. 

My point is Williams seem to be on a downward swing and these regulation changes rely heavily on producing a good chassis/aero performance, which (other than straight line speed) is not something Williams have done in a while.   I think going to Renault would be a smarter move for Perez in the long run.  

Advertisement

#3420 TyreSmokeDownshift

TyreSmokeDownshift

• 1,083 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:51

TBH, I think one of them will just be acting as a placeholder until Lance Stroll is ready to make the step up into F1 (unless Papa Stroll decides to send young Lance the 'Max Verstappen route').

#3421 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,688 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:17

Any news on Maldanaldo making a return and joining Mercedes by buying one of Lewis's or Nico's contracts. :rotfl:

soso-548ad49d29dd1.jpg

We have Nico now for hitting other people. He thinks he drives a ML Mercedes I guess. ;)

#3422 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 985 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:04

I'm sure Jenson would be pleased about Williams recreating their 2009 season where they finished 7th in the constructors and didn't even score a podium...  :confused:

Rosberg was 7th in the WDC despite some shockingly bad luck, it was just that Nakajima failed to score a single point. The Williams was at worst 5th or 6th fastest over the entire season and was as good as 2nd/3rd fastest at some tracks. I reckon Jenson would've scored at the very least a couple of podiums in that car.

#3423 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,836 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:53

Yep. Looks to me like maybe old Frank is trying to apply a little pressure with the "Perez Card" to get JB moving. But I really don't see Perez making basically a lateral move (unless it's better for his bottom line in some way) to Williams, who always start strong and then get massively outdeveloped as the season progresses.

#3424 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,569 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:00

According to Autohebdo there are only three contenders for two Renault seats:

- Bottas

- Perez

- Ocon

Perez will be out of the equation if Renault signs a contract with Telefonica Movistar this summer as main sponsor of the team.

A title sponsor? But Ron told us it was impossible? 

#3425 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,044 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:15

A title sponsor? But Ron told us it was impossible? 

No he didn't.

He said that he couldn't get a sponsor to pay a fair amount for title sponsorship.

#3426 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,569 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:36

No he didn't.

He said that he couldn't get a sponsor to pay a fair amount for title sponsorship.

I was being sarcastic  :rolleyes:

#3427 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:59

I already explained why I'd definitely take Renault over Force India/Williams, but I'd also take Williams over Force India. Yes Force India's staff probably are more impressive than Williams regarding how much performance they can extract from lesser budgets, but I'd rather be on the team I know is sustainable, rather than in one where we don't know when will Mallya's house of cards finally fall apart.

That being said, if Perez is locked out of Renault due to sponsor conflict, it may also be tempting to stick to Force India for just one more season just to see what happens with the reg changes, then move. You don't want to be stuck with a 2/3 years contract somewhere, then find out the team ballsed up the new regs and has ground to catch up. Renault is worth that gamble due to the factory status, Williams even if I trust them more than Force India may not be worth it.

#3428 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 14:19

Rossi: No plans for Formula 1 return

#3429 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,051 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 16:32

If I had to choose between Renault and Williams, Renault every time, Not even close
Youl never win a title with Williams.

#3430 Vettelari

Vettelari

• 1,564 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 16:45

With Rossi out and some other tidbits I have come across, I thought it was time to update my list...

This is how I see things as of right now. This is only MY OPINION based on different things I have read and pontificated. I may be 1000% incorrect, but thought I would share anyways.

Merc, RBR, Ferrari, and McLaren (ALO/VAN) are set.

Williams
Very likely
Jenson Button

Possibly
Bottas
Stroll
Nasr

Longshot
Massa
Magnussen
Lynn
Kvyat

Renault
Very Likely
Perez

Possibly
Ocon
Bottas
Magnussen

Sainz
Longshot

Grosjean

Buemi
Palmer
Rowland
Massa
Sirotkin
Delatraz

Force India
Very likely
Hulkenburg

Possibly
Gutierrez
Wehrlein

Perez
Ocon
Nasr
Massa
Magnussen
Bottas

Longshot
Kvyat
Maldonaldo

HAAS
Very likely
Grosjean

Possibly
Leclerc
Gutierrez
Nasr
Bottas
Magnussen

Longshot
Massa
Kvyat
Palmer
Ferucci

Sauber
Very likely
Ericcson

Possibly
Leclerc
Massa
Nasr
Magnussen
Maldonalso
Gutierrez

Lonshot
Kvyat
Palmer

STR
Very likely
Pierre Gasly
Carlos Sainz

Possibly
Buemi
Giovinazzi
Sirotkin
Rowland

Longshot
Kvyat
Da Costa
Frijns

Manor
COMPLETELY GUESSING AT THIS POINT

Wehrlein

Ocon

Sirotkin

King

Stroll

Leclerc

Giovinazzi

Rowland

Matsushita

Haryanto

Delatraz

Lynn

Ferucci

All in my completely worthless opinion, as always.

Edited by Vettelari, 04 August 2016 - 16:53.

#3431 Taylo207

Taylo207

• 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 17:10

I think in order for K-Mag for to keep his drive an Renault he needs both Perez and Bottas to stay at FI and Williams respectively next year, or for Merc to move Wherlien to FI should Perez sign with Renault, and then have Ocon move to Manor next year to fill Wherliens seat.

If neither of those Scenarios plays out, then I can't see any other way Renault would hang on to him, which would be a shame, Hopefully if worse comes to worse he can do a straight swap with Perez and move to FI.

Edited by Taylo207, 04 August 2016 - 17:12.

#3432 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 5,003 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 17:17

With Rossi out and some other tidbits I have come across, I thought it was time to update my list...

This is how I see things as of right now. This is only MY OPINION based on different things I have read and pontificated. I may be 1000% incorrect, but thought I would share anyways.

Merc, RBR, Ferrari, and McLaren (ALO/VAN) are set.

Williams
Longshot
Massa

Renault
Longshot
Massa

Force India
Possibly
Massa

HAAS
Longshot
Massa

Sauber
Possibly
Massa

All in my completely worthless opinion, as always.

For Massa it will be Williams, Renault or retirement.

There is a serious threat of having no Brazilians on the grid soon.

#3433 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,924 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 17:24

If I had to choose between Renault and Williams, Renault every time, Not even close
Youl never win a title with Williams.

I'm surprised at the number of people who think this way.

#3434 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 18:05

Williams
Longshot
Massa

Renault

Longshot
Massa

Force India
Possibly
Massa

HAAS
Longshot
Massa

Sauber
Possibly
Massa

Massa's got a lot of options hasn't he  :rotfl:

#3435 LiftAndCoast

LiftAndCoast

• 2,398 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 18:17

It's a factory team, they've recruited some great people like Bob Bell, and are investing heavily in their facilities.

This year they look awful, but that's the legacy of the previous owners. Enstone has a great history, and while it takes time to turn around the ship, most judge that in the mid-term Renault will start to challenge for wins and possibly titles.

Whereas Williams will probably never break into the top tier, not in the foreseeable future. 2014-5 was their peak, and the advantage they had with the Mercedes PU is reducing as the PUs converge and the other engine makers get their act together. Given their aero weaknesses in recent years, it's hard to see how the 2017 changes will make things any better for Williams.

That's not intended as a crack at Williams, I'd love to see them at the front again, but the reality of the resources available to them means they are probably never going to challenge the manufacturer teams (I include RB in that for present purposes).

As a youngish driver, Renault look by far the better bet if you dream of wins and titles.

Edited by LiftAndCoast, 04 August 2016 - 18:19.

#3436 skyfolker

skyfolker

• 393 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 18:23

Funny how Fernley & co. were quite vocal about how Ferrari would have to buy Perez out of contract but now when he might leave for Renault nobody mentions that(allegedly,there is an "escape clause" now,and I doubt it means paying FI for him).

#3437 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,688 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 18:30

Renault (as Lotus) was the last non-Merc/RB/Ferrari winner. Bar the lottery in Spain 2012, Williams haven't won in years since BMW left. Their last title was in 1997. Eons ago in F1-terms. Renault had 2 titles in 05/06. They are the best bet as a factory outfit.

#3438 flickerf1

flickerf1

• 359 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 18:45

What about Sirotkin? He must have some sort of deal with Renault if he wins GP2 this year. This is what his father says.

#3439 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,733 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 18:52

Perez to Williams seems a possibility this evening

Advertisement

#3440 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 19:26

What about Sirotkin? He must have some sort of deal with Renault if he wins GP2 this year. This is what his father says.

Sirotkin and Ocon would be brilliant!

#3441 TheKerb

TheKerb

• 175 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 20:12

I feel there's a chance that the Silly season might be over before we even notice. Perhaps the occasional Manor switching will happen since they are strapped for cash. 

I can see the larger teams choosing for experience rather than talent due to the new regs for 2017. Button might slide to WIlliams for 2017 to bring experience in, I do however feel a move for Ocon, Wehrlein or maybe even King/Lynn or Stroll is off the table because of these changes. Renault would want to hire a driver thats way more capable of doing the job than Palmer and Magnussen... A side from that, I can't see much happening. 

#3442 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,207 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:35

Information in Autosport this week:

• Pérez is choosing between Renault and Williams (he may remain at Force India, but moving is more likely).
  • If he goes to Renault, Renault will promote Ocon alongside him and dump their current drivers.
  • Massa will almost certainly leave Williams but is also in talks Renault.
  • Bottas is not secure at Williams as his contract option for next season includes a significant pay rise, and the team may choose to hire someone cheaper.
  • Force India could recruit Wehrlein (Mercedes benefits) or Gutiérrez (continued Mexican sponsorship) to replace Pérez if he leaves.
  • Button (experienced, star quality but expensive) and Gutiérrez are also options for Williams.

Edited by midgrid, 05 August 2016 - 10:36.

#3443 CommanderShepard

CommanderShepard

• 1,358 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:37

When will the Vandoorne/Button announcement see the light?

#3444 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,569 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:01

I feel there's a chance that the Silly season might be over before we even notice. Perhaps the occasional Manor switching will happen since they are strapped for cash

I can see the larger teams choosing for experience rather than talent due to the new regs for 2017. Button might slide to WIlliams for 2017 to bring experience in, I do however feel a move for Ocon, Wehrlein or maybe even King/Lynn or Stroll is off the table because of these changes. Renault would want to hire a driver thats way more capable of doing the job than Palmer and Magnussen... A side from that, I can't see much happening. 

Not true.

#3445 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,249 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:12

Information in Autosport this week:

Pérez is choosing between Renault and Williams (he may remain at Force India, but moving is more likely).

Good...

If he goes to Renault, Renault will promote Ocon alongside him and dump their current drivers.

Very nice...

Massa will almost certainly leave Williams but is also in talks Renault.

Not a surprise...

Bottas is not secure at Williams as his contract option for next season includes a significant pay rise, and the team may choose to hire someone cheaper.

Interesting new info...

Force India could recruit Wehrlein (Mercedes benefits) or Gutiérrez (continued Mexican sponsorship) to replace Pérez if he leaves.

Makes sense...

Button (experienced, star quality but expensive)

As expected...

and Gutiérrez are also options for Williams.

Nooooooooooooooo! God, why! No!

#3446 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,569 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:21

If Williams signs GUT I will lose all respect for them.

#3447 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,303 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:26

Do you think they would sign Gutierrez because they want to? I don't think so. If they want to afford Button they are forced to have a cheap solution in the 2nd cockpit

(Btw, how the f**** did this silly season reached already almost 70 pages?)

#3448 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,249 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:28

Do you think they would sign Gutierrez because they want to? I don't think so. If they want to afford Button they are forced to have a cheap solution in the 2nd cockpit

(Btw, how the f**** did this silly season reached already almost 70 pages?)

Personally I'm regularly contributing to this thread because whilst the main excitement is who's going to drive for Williams, Force India or Renault, it's still far more interesting than what's going on on track.

#3449 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,207 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:59

Is it really any worse than signing Kazuki Nakajima?

#3450 Montie

Montie

• 1,845 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:11

They should sign Magnussen instead.