Photo

Wolfgang 'Taffy' von Trips (merged)

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 05 August 2000 - 16:32

While we're talking about von Trips (well, I am, at least), I remembered that I was curious about the origin of his nickname, "Taffy." I'm sure someone here knows about it.

Dave

Advertisement

#2 John Cross

John Cross

• 139 posts

Posted 05 August 2000 - 16:50

According to Robert Blinkhorn's excellent site, he was nicknamed 'Taffy' by Mike Hawthorn in the mid-1950s ('because I think you look like a taffy!'). See this page:

http://www.askide.co...careers/605.cfm

#3 Tony Kaye

Tony Kaye

• 68 posts

Posted 07 August 2000 - 00:28

So what did Hawthorn have in mind when he thought von Trips looked like a 'Taffy'? To any young Englishman like Hawthorn a Taffy would have been a Welshman. It comes from the age-old children's rhyme
"Taffy was a Welshman,
Taffy was a thief,
Taffy came to my house
and stole a leg of Beef"
That may not be word perfect, but it's a while since I was a child. The implication is clear that the English believed that the Welsh were all thieves. Apologies to the Tom Pryce Fan Club.

#4 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 20 April 2001 - 05:43

Anybody interested in visiting the von Trips Museum go to: http://www.erftkreis...ps/welcome.html

It is in German and pretty good also..

Gil:up:

#5 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 20 April 2001 - 07:26

Thanks Gil,
I added the site to my favorites.

#6 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 20 April 2001 - 08:40

great site :up: next time I'm town I'll visit the museum :drunk:

#7 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 20 April 2001 - 19:15

Actually, my parents went there a couple of weeks ago, though both have but a passing interest in racing. They just happened to be around the place...

Having said that, they had something to tell when I last visited them! 'Mouth watering' would be the correct term... I shall make that trip in the very near future!

One interesting thing was they told me the wrecked Monza Dino 156 would be there on display - and I thought they were all scrapped! :confused:

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,232 posts

Posted 20 April 2001 - 22:55

It was probably with the Carabinieri for so long it survived... is it really there?

#9 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 21 April 2001 - 14:19

I WILL find out! :)

#10 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 21 April 2001 - 17:54

Michael,

When you do go, find out what kind of memorabilia they have... I was a fan before he became famous. Also try to convince them to drop the shot of the Ginther 246 F-1 car and replace the misidentified photo of Phil Hill in the 1962 156 at the Station Hairpin on their web site.

Gil

#11 David J Jones

David J Jones

• 448 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 17:00

The last I heard the von Trips car was still impounded in Italy?

The Clark car though has now been released - has been rebuiilt - and is in the Donnington museum.

That being said where is the sole surviving sharknose now?

I heard the Chris Rea replica is in the von Trips museum?

#12 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 18:26

Chris Rea has left the museum...

#13 engin

engin

• 340 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 22:34

hello

it was 61 italian gp the title was either to von trips or his teamamte hill and the new boy was there jim clark

that race was a sad story in the f1 as it ended with the death of what might have been the first german champion in f1 .

at the start jim and von trips had tangled with each other and crashed trips died immediatly and clark survived .

after his domination of most of the sixties jim clark has died on a german track .

if somebody can help me was the accedint a responsibilty of clark or trips ?

#14 birdie

birdie

• 572 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 22:50

bear in mind this was 20 years before I was born...

I don't think either was responsible but I recall hearing that Clark was under investigation by the Italian authorities, because part of Italian law is that every accident must have someone to blame. I don't know if Clark was under investigation because he precipitated the chain of events or just because he was the one lucky enough to survive.

#15 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 23:21

Please read this post.

http://www.atlasf1.c...affy#post402046

#16 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,860 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 23:23

No blame was apportioned on either driver, in a tragic episode best described as a "racing accident".

Hill was leading the race, with Trips second after a tardy start. "Taffy" was charging though the field and had passed Clark earlier, but Jimmy had picked up a tow in the Ferrari's slipstream and pulled out to pass Trips under braking for Vedano, relying on his car's late braking ability to complete the move. Unfortunately, Trips apparently never saw Clark and moved across the track in front of him. Their wheels touched and Trips was sent into an uncontrollable spin - his car overturned and he was thrown out and killed instantly:( along with fourteen spectators. Clark also spun, but was unhurt, although severely shocked.

#17 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 23:47

Durst I digress here again? Bernd's link ('Get away from maniacs', to be more precise) reminded me of a thing I read in 'Cruel Sport' in a section on Phill Hill, where he speaks of his '61 Dutch GP (IIRC) duel with Clark... The thing that intrigued me is following quote:

'... There is one driver, for instance, who has reputation for imprudence and who now uses this reputation as a weapon to scare other drivers out of his way. I think that's evil.'

Did he, as I presume, mean Taffy, and what was background for this, if so? Thanx in advance. :)

#18 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 369 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 10:08

Yesterday (ok 1:00) in "Sport Stars"(N3). 25 minutes awesome footage (some I never saw before), interviews with Moss and Phil Hill about Wolfgang. Von Trips is talking about the risks in an accent I suddenly remember very well. He was from the same area as Michael Schumacher. So you hear Michael Schumacher talking in a way - that's almost surreal. So everybody in Europe (if you got a sat dish)- watch out for any reruns... BTW: Why do they show that excellent stuff only at late night?

Lutz

#19 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 11:26

Because it's German TV, they only show football and stupid game shows at prime time. I stopped watching TV for exactly that reason (have to raise at 5:30 or 6:00 am, no chance to watch the goodies... :()

Advertisement

#20 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 369 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 11:58

But I guess you got a VCR ;) I recorded that "accidentally" (they don't print in the tv guide what they show in Sport Stars)... But most stuff at prime time is crap - that's true... Especially when you looking for "old school" racing docus. I don't want see these "let's make a mtv video clip out of racing footage" (and I'm not taking about the "supreme" clip - that was great) documentaries anymore.

Lutz

#21 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 12:45

No VCR, no DVD, I'm even less modern than Fred Flintstone! You know that old saying?

Frage: "Was haben die Menschen eigentlich abends gemacht bevor es Strom gab?"

Antwort: "Sie mussten im Dunkeln fern sehen..."

#22 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:28

Gentlemen:

I have just finished paging through a book about Wolfgang von Trips (Trips - Erinnerungen an ein Idol by Fodisch) and was wondering about the title "Graf" which appears to be a more familiar version of Reichsgraf (M) or Reichsgrafin (F).
Can someone enlighten me as to what the title means? I believe it to be hereditary.
Thanking everyone in advance,

Ron Scoma

#23 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,381 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:54

Count = a European nobleman whose rank corresponds to that of a British earl

:cool:

#24 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:48

I'm sure the answer is somewhere on This old thread

#25 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:58

Originally posted by KWSN - DSM
Count = a European nobleman whose rank corresponds to that of a British earl

:cool:

Absolutely

#26 eukie

eukie

• 247 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 13:20

If you`re interested in Trips' nobleman-heritage and the castle of his family, you will get some rough facts on this page of the Trips-Museum-Website: http://www.automobil...bach/index.html, or here: www.burghemmersbach.de, or you may even buy a book of my colleague Dr. Frank Kretzschmar and the local archivist, Susanne Harke-Schmidt: http://www.rennsport...41a0edf90b.html Recommended for those with an interest in architecture and art.

#27 marty8405

marty8405

• 61 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 21:37

I saw a post on another board that Wolfgang Von Trips would have died one way or another on 9/10/61. The writer of the post said Von Trips was scheduled for a plane after the race that ended up crashing, killing everyone on board. This freaked me out! Forgive me if this has been discussed, I searched the BB briefly and nothing jumped out at me regarding this subject. Can anyone out there confirm or deny this amazing story?

#28 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,860 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 22:08

In "Trips - Erinnerung einen Idol", by Födisch and Louis there is a reproduction of the front page of Bild Zeitung announcing Trips' death. Another short piece on the front page mentions a German DC4 airliner crashing shortly after leaving Shannon on a flight from Düsseldorf to Chicago.

Might that be the source?

#29 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 22:53

I believe the Shannon crash - involving a DC6 operated by President Airlines - actually occurred in the early hours of that Sunday morning, BEFORE the Italian GP had been run. It was said to have been carrying employees of a German steel works on a charter flight to the US.

dcn

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,232 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 23:15

My thoughts too, Doug...

I would have thought it was a private plane he'd booked to take him home to Spain.

#31 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,860 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 23:23

DC6 indeed: in fact a DC6B. Obviously Bild Zeitung got it wrong. And it happened at about 03.55.

http://www.planecras...961/1961-28.htm

There are no other commercial air crashes recorded on that date.

#32 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:26

My understanding is that Trips was slated to fly from, I think, Milan to New York the day after the '61 Italian GP and that that flight crashed.

#33 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,860 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:44

The website I quoted above has only one other crash in the immediate period after September 10th: an Air France Caravelle which went down near Rabat in Morocco on the 12th.

#34 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 14:29

Richard, you obviously don't know the Bild-"Zeitung" - they get it wrong all the time!;)

#35 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,860 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 14:35

I'd heard it had a reputation for being somewhat less than accurate .... :rolleyes:

Much like The Sun or Daily Star here ....;)

#36 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 20:32

Hi friends,
I'm looking for the complete race's record of Wolfgang Graf Berghe Von Trips and the list of his wins in F1, F2 ,Sport & GT.
I try to find something like in Internet but I haven't found what I've finding for.
Could you help me ?
Two other questions please :

What does it means the initials R.S.K. (in German language) in the name of some Porsche of last fifties years and early sixties ? And S.L.R in the 1955's Mercedes ?
What was the name of the Racin Team of Porsche AG ? I've found the name "Porsche Rennende Mannschaft" but I don't think its the correct one.

#37 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 21:06

Up to 1961 official Porsche cars were entered by "Dr Ing hcF Porsche KG". From 1962 it was "Porsche System Engineering".
300 SLR= Sport Leicht Rennenwagen.

#38 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 22:58

Porsche RSK:
Accdording to Barth / Boschen "Das große Buch der Porsche-Typen" the correct designation of the type 718 was 1500 RS-K, where "RS" of course stands for "Rennsport", while the "K" refers to the new front axle, which had the shape of a K letter. Later that axle was changed again, but the letter combination remained.

#39 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 23:07

Originally posted by GIGLEUX
Up to 1961 official Porsche cars were entered by "Dr Ing hcF Porsche KG". From 1962 it was "Porsche System Engineering".
300 SLR= Sport Leicht Rennenwagen.

I can't produce it now, but I'm sure I've seen entry lists from 1960 with Porsche System Engineering.

In the 1950s Autosport regularly produced entry lists for Le Mans. The Porsches were entered by Automobiles Porsche!

Advertisement

#40 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 14:01

:confused:

posted by Gigleux

posted by Roger Clark
In the 1950s Autosport regularly produced entry lists for Le Mans. The Porsches were entered by Automobiles Porsche!

I think you're both right.
The first one is the official name of "Porsche Firm", the second one should be the english translation of the first one.
The race's world since 50's have ever been stictly anglophone so I think Autosport used the english translation of the german name.
The name I'm finding for is the equivalent of "Scuderia Ferrari" for the Porsche Firm.
"Dr Ing hcF Porsche KG" is the same of "SEFAC Ferrari" you can find in many entries list.
The "Porsche Rennende Mannschaft" I've found , it means (I think...) something as "Porsche Racing Team", but I think it's wrong.

Thanks

#41 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:35

Back to the original request.

This is the sequence of races given in „Graf Berghe von Trips – Eine deutsche Rennfahrerkarriere“ by Jörg-Thomas Födisch & Reinold Louis:

02 May: XXI Mille Miglia, Porsche # 228 (co-driver: Walter Hampel), 33th (1st in 1300-GT-class)
23 May: XVII Internationales ADAC-Eifel-Rennen, Nürburgring, Porsche, 2nd in 1600 class
June: 12 heures d’Hyères, Porsche
19 September: Großer Preis von Berlin für Rennwagen, Avus, Porsche, 5th
30 April: XII Mille Miglia, Porsche, 2nd in GT class
29 May: XVIII Internationales ADAC-Eifel-Rennen, Nürburgring, Porsche, 1st in 1300-GT-class
10 July: IX Coppa d’Oro delle Dolomiti, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Porsche # 46, did not finish
07 August: Großer Preis von Schweden für Sportwagen, Kristianstad, Mercedes-Benz 300 SL, did not finish
28 August: Internationales ADAC-500-Kilometer-Rennen, Nürburgring, Porsche, 1st
17 September: Tourist Trophy, Dundrod, Mercedes-Benz (partnered by Claude Simon), 3rd
25 March: 12-Stunden-Rennen von Sebring, Porsche (partnered by Hans Herrmann), 6th (1st in 1500 class)
29 April: XXIII Mille Miglia, Brescia, Mercedes-Benz 300 SL # 446, did not finish
27 May: II Internationales ADAC-1000-Kilometer-Rennen, Nürburgring, Porsche 1500 RS (partnered by Umberto Maglioli), 4th (1st in 1500 class)
22 July: Großer Preis der Solitude, Stuttgart, Porsche # 9, 2nd
28/29 July: 24-Stunden-Rennen von Le Mans, Porsche # 25 (partnered by Richard von Frankenberg), 5th (1st in 1500 class)
12 August: Großer Preis von Schweden für Sportwagen, Kristianstad, Ferrari # 1 (partnered by Peter Collins), 2nd
02 September: Großer Preis von Italien, Monza, Ferrari, did not start (practice crash on 31 August)
16 September: Großer Preis von Berlin, Avus, Mercedes 300 SL, 1st (GT class), Porsche 1500 RS, 1st
13 January: Großer Preis von Argentinien, Buenos Aires, Ferrari-Lancia (partnered by Cesare Perdisa & Peter Collins), 6th
20 January: Mil Kilometros de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Ferrari (partnered by Eugenio Castellotti & Alfonso de Portago), 3rd
27 January: XI Gran Premio Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Ferrari, 8th
12 May: XXIV Mille Miglia, Brescia, Ferrari, 2nd
19 May: Großer Preis von Monaco, Ferrari, did not finish
26 May: ADAC-1000-Kilometer-Rennen, Ferrari 250 GT, did not start (practice crash on 25 May, badly hurt)
25 August: Grand Prix Suisse de la Montagne Lenzerheide, Porsche # 138, 1st
08 September: Gran Premio d’Italia, Monza, Ferrari, 3rd
04 May: Großer Bergpreis von Griechenland, Mont-Parnaß, Porsche 1500 # 1, 1st
18 May: Großer Preis von Monaco, Monte Carlo, Ferrari # 40, did not finish
29 June: Großer Bergpreis von Frankreich, Mont Ventoux, Porsche RS, 2nd
July: 12-Stunden-Rennen, Reims, Ferrari GT (partnered by Wolfgang Seidel), 4th
06 July: Großer Preis von Frankreich, Reims, Ferrari # 6, 3rd
27 July: ADAC-Bergpreis am Schauinsland, Freiburg, Porsche # 10, did not finish
03 August: Großer Preis von Deutschland, Nürburgring, Ferrari, 4th
15 August: Großer Bergpreis von Österreich, Gaisberg, Porsche # 114, 1st
17 August: Flugplatzrennen Zeltweg, Porsche RSK, 1st
24 August: Großer Preis von Portugal, Oporto, Ferrari, 5th
31 August: Großer Bergpreis der Schweiz, Ollon Villars, Porsche 718 RSK, 6th
07 September: Großer Preis von Italien, Monza, Ferrari, did not finish
11 May: Großer Preis von Monaco, Monte Carlo, Porsche 718/2, did not finish
07 June: Internationales ADAC-1000-Kilometer-Rennen, Nürburgring, Porsche (partnered by Joakim Bonnier), 7th (2nd in 1500 class)
05 July: Coupe de Reims (F2), Reims, Porsche, 5th
12 July: XXII Internationales ADAC-Eifel-Rennen (FJ), Nürburgring, Stanguellini, 1st
01 August: Großer Preis von Berlin, Avus, Porsche RSK, 1st
02 August: Großer Preis von Deutschland, Avus, Porsche # 14, did not start
16 August: Internationales Gaisbergrennen, Gaisberg, Porsche, 3rd
05 September: Tourist Trophy, Goodwood, Porsche RSK (partnered by Joakim Bonnier), 2nd
12 December: Großer Preis der USA, Sebring, Ferrari, 6th
19 March: Großer Preis von Syrakus, Syrakus, Ferrari, 1st
08 May: Targa Florio, Sizilien, Ferrari Dino 246 # 194 (partnered by Phil Hill), 2nd
22 May: VI Internationales ADAC-1000-Kilometer-Rennen, Nürburgring, Ferrari (partnered by Phil Hill), did not finish,
Ferrari (partnered by Cliff Allison, Willy Mairesse & Phil Hill), 3rd
29 May: Großer Preis von Monaco, Monte Carlo, Ferrari # 38, did not finish
06 June: Großer Preis von Holland, Zandvoort, Ferrari # 2, 5th
25/26 June: 24-Stunden-Rennen von Le Mans, Ferrari # 9 (partnered by Phil Hill), did not finish
24 July: Großer Preis der Solitude, Stuttgart, Ferrari # 7, 1st
04 September: Großer Preis von Italien, Monza, Ferrari # 22, 5th
02 October: Großer Preis von Modena, Ferrari, 3rd
09 October: Internationales Innsbrucker Flugplatz-Rennen, Innsbruck, Cooper, 2nd
17 December: Großer Preis von Kapstadt, Lotus, 3rd
26 December: Großer Preis von Südafrika, East London, Lotus # 5, did not finish
26 March: Sebring, Ferrari (partnered by Richie Ginther), 2nd
01 May: Targa Florio, Sizilien, Ferrari # 162 (partnered by Olivier Gendebien), 1st
14 May: Großer Preis von Monaco, Monte Carlo, Ferrari # 40, did not finish
22 May: Großer Preis von Holland, Zandvoort, Ferrari # 3, 1st
28 May: VII Internationales ADAC-1000-Kilometer-Rennen, Nürburgring, Ferrari 246 # 3 (partnered by Phil Hill), did not finish,
Ferrari (partnered by Richie Ginther & Olivier Gendebien), 3rd
18 June: Großer Preis von Belgien, Spa-Francorchamps, Ferrari # 2, 2nd
02 July: Großer Preis von Frankreich, Reims, Ferrari # 20, did not finish
16 July: British Grand Prix, Aintree, Ferrari, 1st
06 August: Großer Preis von Europa, Nürburgring, Ferrari, 2nd
10 September: Großer von Italien, Monza, Ferrari # 4, did not finish (fatal crash)

This definitely is not a complete record but should be a useful start.

#42 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:12

:clap:

Thank you Reinhard, for your kind help.
I think your post is more than an "useful start" for my work, so I hope I will be able to use your informations :up: for the best.

In the future I hope I could find more specific informations about some particular race (at the moment I've found & bought magazines about Solitude F.2. G.P 1960, about Dutch and British G.P. and Targa Florio 1961).

#43 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:54

I was thinking of buying that book about Von Trips but with about 40 events missing from the stats, posted by Reinhard, I don't think I'll bother!

John

#44 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:34

John, I don’t think the Födisch/Louis book was intended to be a record of statistics.

It is mainly a pictorial record.

What I listed is a summary of pages 23 to 123 of the book where those races are described and illustrated.

If you like numbers - stay away from that book. If you like pictures - consider a purchase.

#45 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:36

:confused:
John do you have a most complete Von Trips races' record than this one ?
Could you help me ?
I think the Reinhard's list is an useful help for my work, and, at the moment, I can't found anything better...
The book you are speaking about is it a german one ?

Thanks to all

#46 hinnershitz

hinnershitz

• 109 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 14:27

Originally posted by humphries
I was thinking of buying that book about Von Trips but with about 40 events missing from the stats, posted by Reinhard, I don't think I'll bother!

You can still buy this one:

Wolfgang Graf Berghe von Trips
Eine Biographie von Reinold Louis
Greven Verlag, Köln, 1989
ISBN 3-7743-0250-2

Actually the same Reinold Louis who is the co-author of the book mentioned by Reinhard. Not a specialised motorsports journalist. Don't bother with it if you can't read German. It's loads of text and very few pictures, the opposite of the other book.

Here we find (I omitted the races that were already posted by Reinhard) :

October - Orientierungsfahrt des Braunschweiger BMW-Clubs, 5th on BMW 500 (motorcycle)
October - ADAC Rheinlandfahrt (Krefeld-Leverkusen), silver medal on BMW 500 (motorcycle)
19 November - Geländefahrt Hamburg, started, BMW 500 (motorcycle)

4 September - Motorrad-Geschicklickeits-Turnier Kerpen, started, BMW 500 (motorcycle)
11 September - Frechen, started, BMW 500 (motorcycle)
16 September - Bad Neuenahr, took part on a Borgward, this was a Concours d’elegance
29/30 September - Deutsche Schwarzwaldfahrt, BMW 500 (motorcycle), 3rd in class & team-prize winner

January - ADAC-Rehinlandfahrt, Nürburgring, BMW 500 (motorcycle)
March - Westdeutsche Zuverlässigkeitsfahrt, won gold medal, BMW 500 (motorcycle)
March - Deutschlandfahrt, retired, Vespa (motorcycle)
Summer - Hessenfahrt, retired, BMW 500 (motorcycle)
Summer - Velbert, won bronze medal, BMW 500 (motorcycle)
November 1952 - ADAC-Rheinlandfahrt, Nürburgring, BMW 600 (motorcycle)
Winter 1952/3 - Wintersternfahrt (location not mentioned), won silver medal on Tornax (motorcycle)

NOTHING

5-7 March - Rallye Trifels, won bronze medal on Porsche 1300 shared with Hans-Rolf Clasen
4 April - Pfälzische Zuverlässigkeitsfahrt, gold medal on Porsche 1300
May - Internationale Bäder-Rallye, started on Porsche 1300
June - 24 hour race in Versage/Belgium, 2nd in class on Tornax 350 motorcycle shared with Edgar Kania
NOTE: Hyeres is not mentioned here. A confusion with Versage?
June - Wildeshausen, took part on Tornax
1 August - German GP, Nürburgring, 2nd in Race for standard sports cars (1.6 litre class) on Porsche, using the pseudonym „Axel Linther“
3 October - Internationale ADAC-Rheinlanfahrt, bronze medal on a „VW-Special“
Winner of the German Championship for standard sports cars and GT, 1.6 litre class

14 August - Karlshuga (I think this means: Karlskoga), 3rd on Mercedes 300SL
14/15 October - Rallye Wiesbaden, 3rd on Porsche

February - Wintersternfahrt Bad Neuenahr-Garmisch, took part, car (or bike) unknown

25 February - Havana, 4th in 2 litre class on Ferrari, 8th overall
1 September - Aosta-Gran San Bernardo. 2nd on Porsche 1500 RS
29 September - Mt. Parnes, Greece, winner on Porsche
3 November - Gran Premio de Venezuela, 3rd on Ferrari shared with Wolfgang Seidel
(I took the freedom to add some dates that are missing in the book)

26 January - Mil Kilometros de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, 2nd on Ferrari shared with Gendebien
2 February - Buenos Aires GP, on Ferrari, retired in heat 1
24 February - Havana, 4th on Ferrari
22 March - 12h Sebring, retired on Ferrari shared with Hawthorn
11 May - Targa Florio, 3rd on Ferrari shared with Hawthorn
1 June - 1000km Nürburgring, 3rd on Ferrari shared with Gendebien
21/22 June - Le Mans, retired on Ferrari shared with Seidel
13 July - Trento-Bondone, winner on Porsche
15 August - Gaisberg, winner on Porsche
winner of the European hillclimb championship

8 March - LA Examiner GP, Pomona, retired, Cooper
22 March - 12h Sebring, class winner 2 litres on Porsche shared with Bonnier, 3rd overall
24 May - Targa Florio, retired, Porsche shared with Bonnier
20/21 June - Le Mans, retired, Porsche shared with Bonnier

31 January - Mil Kilometros de la Ciudad Buenos Aires, 2nd, Ferrari shared with Ginther
7 February - Argentine GP, 5th on Ferrari
14 February - Buenos Aires GP, started (is this true?)
18 April - Goodwood, FJ, started on Stanguellini
19 June - Belgian GP, retired, Ferrari
3 July - French GP, retired, Ferrari
17 July - British GP, 6th, Ferrari
31 July - German GP, Nürburgring (F2), 2nd on Porsche
14 August - Portuguese GP, 4th on Ferrari
23 October - Monthlery 1000km, 2nd on Ferrari shared with Willy Mairesse
21 November, US GP, Riverside, 9th, Cooper Maserati
28 November - Nassau, took part in a kart race

11 June - Le Mans, retired, Ferrari shared with Ginther

#47 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 15:03

Great, Johannes! Now Frank can put together the whole picture.

Originally posted by hinnershitz
June - 24 hour race in Versage/Belgium, 2nd in class on Tornax 350 motorcycle shared with Edgar Kania
NOTE: Hyeres is not mentioned here. A confusion with Versage?

In "Eine deutsche Rennfahrerkarriere" it is written (p.24) :

In den Semesterferien - Graf Trips besucht die "Höhere Landwirtschaftsschule" in Brühl - fährt er mit einem Freund nach Paris, besucht Bekannte in Südfrankreich und fährt so "ganz nebenbei" die 12 Heures d'Hyères. Auf der Rückfahrt zur "Mist-Akademie" landet er, übermüdet, mit seinem Wagen in einem Graben.

For non-German speaking TNF'ers: During holidays from his agricultural studies he drove to France where he incidentally took part in the 12 h race at Hyères. On the return to the academy he landed in a ditch because of overfatigue.

This text is accompanied by a photo showing two Porsches - a dark one with car number 33 and a bright one with car number 43.

#48 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 18:00

Just a little mod:
1955 TT Mercedes-Benz 300SLR shared with André Simon and not Claude Simon.

#49 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,860 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 18:19

Originally posted by ReWind
John, I don’t think the Födisch/Louis book was intended to be a record of statistics.

It is mainly a pictorial record.

What I listed is a summary of pages 23 to 123 of the book where those races are described and illustrated.

If you like numbers - stay away from that book. If you like pictures - consider a purchase.

Seconded, John. Worth it for the pictures, mostly from unfamiliar (to UK eyes) sources.

#50 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 18:38

Please ad:

March 7, 1959: 21st in bobtail Cooper/Climax in the Satuday 10-lapper at Pomona

December 6, 1959: 9th in Porsche RSK in the Nassau Trophy.

Taffy also raced a Ferrari California in the same Nassau race one year later, but finding the results is too much of a chore at the moment due to stacks of in-the-way books.

WINO