- - - - -

Removal of Hewland MK.9 Bearing CARRIER

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 March79B

March79B

• 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 14:49

Hello to the forum, I am having a problem removing the bearing carrier from the rear of a Hewland Mk.9 transaxle.  I have followed the steps in the shop manual:  removed the Nyloc nuts and the rear cover, removed the selector finger, removed the drawbolt and pinion nut, loosened the layshaft nut.  Also removed all the Nyloc nuts and then the  studs via "double nutting" from the rear of the main case that hold the bearing carrier to the case  The only parts still in place at the rear of the case are the two "Dowel Pins".  I have pushed in the 1st/Rev and the 3rd/4th Selector rails as per directions.  The Pinion shaft and layshaft still rotate freely and the axle assemblies turn freely.  The carrier case will only move back a set distance and then meets resistance.  I have moved the selector forks in and out and have rotated the stub axles but the carrier will not move beyond the aforementioned distance about 1/4".  Any ideas from the forum to help with this problem?   Appreciate any insight or information on this problem and thanks.  Jerry

Advertisement

#2 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,730 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:09

Big hammer needed.  

#3 bigleagueslider

bigleagueslider

• 1,235 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:28

Make sure you keep the subassembly perfectly aligned as you withdraw it. There may not be much radial clearance between the passing parts, and if the shaft assembly is tilted too much when being extracted it might be causing interference.