Photo

F1 1998 - McLaren MP4-13 vs. Ferrari F300

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keisalex

Keisalex

• 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 16:48

Hello guys, i'm a pretty new member and i wasn't sure if i should've write this in the Racing forum or here. I decided to create this here, but feel free to relocate it if you feel it would be better.

Anyway, for various reasons i recently got gripped with the 1998 F1 season and i wondered: Which the was the best car of the year?

It's obviously a contest between the MP4-13 and the F300.

It looks to me so far that the McLaren car was, in overall, superior to the Ferrari. But can we start here a deeper analysis?

If you could guys provide clues to how the cars compared in the following categories, that'd be massively appreciated  :clap:

A) Chassis Aerodynamic Efficiency

B) Engine (Power-Speed, Reliability)

C) Car Components' Reliability (Brakes, Suspension)

D) Drivers (Although not an aspect of the car, the drivers are the ones which steer the car. So basically, how did HAK/COU fared in 1998 against MSC/IRV. This can open a huge disscusion of driver comparison, but that's not the point of the threat, so please keep it short)   ;)

E) Adding all components together, which car/driver combo was the best?

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 17:35

You forgot the most critical component, the tyres. It was all down to the Goodyear/Bridgestone war that year, with first one having the upper hand, then the other, and da capo several times!

#3 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,542 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:57

The reason Ferrari was quite close to McLaren was Michael Schumacher at his zenith.

The McLaren was by far the better car, it was 2 seconds quicker at Melbourne and let's not forget the brake steer, even with that banned, it was still the better car by a large margin.

Edited by George Costanza, 18 November 2015 - 03:59.

#4 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:28

We sat at Turn 9, Albert Park in 1998. Schumacher was indeed at his zenith and it clearly showed. McLaren showed up with an utterly dominant car, similar to what Mercedes are doing today. I dont remember a lot about qualifying, but I vividly remember the first laps of the race. The McLarens just cruised through there, nose to tail, our for a Sunday drive, little fuss, in a race of their own (or not as it would turn out). The next car, gradually falling back, was Schumacher, and the commitment was incredible. He threw the car in there, right on the limit each time, desperately trying to keep up. More than any other driver on the grid that day you could tell he was just on it. Up to the point I didnt really like him, but after seeing that, I did have a lot of respect. There was a lot of talent and racer on display in that lead Ferrari that day. No matter what "devices" may have ultimately ended up on the Ferrari that year, at that race, it was unsorted, and it looked WILD. He was the only driver that looked to be trying to beat the two McLarens that day and was throwing everything at that track. Eventually though, he thumped the curb in front of us VERY hard, the car jumped, next lap he was out. It was thrilling stuff to watch.

So, at that first race... the Ferrari was nowhere near the Mclarens, especially Irvine`s car. It amazed me Ferrari got close by the end of the year, but, after seeing how committed Schumacher could be, it wasn't surprising.

Fond memory that.

#5 Keisalex

Keisalex

• 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 15:28

So we actually had a situation where McLaren was far superior at the beginning of the season, then Ferrari gradually caught up with them?

Like.. hmmm...McLaren and Ferrari (again  :cat:) in 2009, starting as midfielders and netting wins by mid-season?

Also, the Hakkinen + McLaren vs. Schumacher + Ferrari was something reminiscent of an alternative 2015 season whereas Rosberg leads Mercedes (Hamilton out of team, or F1, you decide) and Vettel takes the fight to him in the Ferrari? I didn't thought the cars were that far away. I'll have the first 10 races download, i'll watch 1 or 2 of them on evening, though, and i'll see.

Mind you, i wasn't even born in 1998- that came in two yrs later  :p

#6 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 22:02

McLaren had an extra brake pedal that worked on the rear wheels, which was subsequently banned after a photographer stuck his camera down in the cockpit and took a photo. That removed some, but not all, of the McLarens advantage.

#7 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,542 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:30

Michael in his prime, was a far better driver than anyone today, except for Fred and Lewis, IMO. Even Fred and Lewis would struggle to beat him in his vintage form.

Just remember that.

Edited by George Costanza, 19 November 2015 - 01:30.

#8 DerFlugplatz

DerFlugplatz

• 126 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 15:58

Michael in his prime, was a far better driver than anyone today, except for Fred and Lewis, IMO. Even Fred and Lewis would struggle to beat him in his vintage form.

Just remember that.

In your opinion maybe.