* * * - - 2 votes

Hamilton has a jab at Vettel, Webber, and Raikkonen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
135 replies to this topic

#1 Chiwie

Chiwie

• 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:47

Hamilton is an amazing talent, but if this article http://www.grandprix...-and-raikkonen/ is real, it makes him sound a bit arrogant and in my opinion he doesn't need to act like this since he is the wold champion.

Advertisement

#2 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:50

Stating the obvious is arrogant? Damn. 

Waiting for the outrage-machine. 

Edited by GoldenColt, 19 November 2015 - 12:51.

#3 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:59

The Schumacher bit is bang on, as no matter who you are you cant disagree there is an argument to had over '94 and a few other incidents.

With regards to Vettel, he has a point, as he has always been the number defacto number one and not had a team mate of the highest calibre. Yes he got beat by Dan, but tbh I thought he was exhausted after the 4 titles and was operating sub par, no discredit to Dan though. I think he is just lucking forward to a big fight with Vettel next year, and as he has not had a real title battle with him before, he is uncertain of the last 1% he has.

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:00

As usual the context is missing. But no worries, I read parts of the original Interview ;)

If I recall it correctly he was asked about which driver he would take:"Normally as a team chef you would take the best drivers. That would be Vettel. I have big respect towards him, but I cant really asserd how good he is...." (that was more or less the context, dont remember exactly everything)

Actually he was praising Vettel and just saying that ultimately he cant judge how good he really is.

The Schumacher bit is an old one by the way which was also extensively discussed here

Edited by Marklar, 19 November 2015 - 13:02.

#5 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:06

Can not see what is wrong with that to be fair - it is very FACTUAL about Seb, Webber and Kimi... and Schumacher...

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 19 November 2015 - 13:07.

#6 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:11

So he states exactly what many, many F1 fans are saying. Sure it's different when it comes from an actual driver, but I don't see what's the big deal. Some people just really want to hate Hamilton.

Edited by Anja, 19 November 2015 - 13:11.

#7 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:19

Tabloid headline

#8 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:20

Can not see what is wrong with that to be fair - it is very FACTUAL about Seb, Webber and Kimi... and Schumacher...

I didn't read his Schumacher comments but if they were as described in this article, it certainly cannot be considered 'factual' I'd also suggest the Mercedes car is as much a reason for his last two titles as his own natural ability. I'd say the same if Alonso or Vettel had enjoyed the same success in the same car.

Anyway, I find the best thing to do with Hamilton is ignore him a lot of the time.

#9 Chiwie

Chiwie

• 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:21

As usual the context is missing. But no worries, I read parts of the original Interview ;)
If I recall it correctly he was asked about which driver he would take:"Normally as a team chef you would take the best drivers. That would be Vettel. I have big respect towards him, but I cant really asserd how good he is...." (that was more or less the context, dont remember exactly everything)
Actually he was praising Vettel and just saying that ultimately he cant judge how good he really is.
The Schumacher bit is an old one by the way which was also extensively discussed here

Well, if that the case it makes more sense, and the article just wants a sensationalist headline.
Thanks for clarifying.

#10 Wendigo

Wendigo

• 7 posts

I saw this article earlier, trying to get the link to it but it didn't have the sensationalist headline as the above suggested, in fact he was saying Vettel was one of the best drivers that could be selected for a team, but how good he is he couldn't say or judge.

it was an actual praise for Vettel, not sure how this website has changed the narrative.

Will try to find a link for the other one.

#11 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Anyway, I find the best thing to do with Hamilton is ignore him a lot of the time.

And yet you barely ever follow your own advice.   ;)

#12 Chiwie

Chiwie

• 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:29

So he states exactly what many, many F1 fans are saying. Sure it's different when it comes from an actual driver, but I don't see what's the big deal. Some people just really want to hate Hamilton.

Don't hate Hamilton, the guy is amazing driving talent, just the quote is not very sportsmanship like, but no big deal, and now that Marklar clarified it was a paragraph taken out context, making it sound sensational.
So it just bad press as it happens often in f1.

#13 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:32

Yeah, I don't seehow Lewis saying this is so bad? He is just making obvious points which people on places like forums always make.

#14 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:34

"Sport Bild" never did an interview. The magazine merely transcribed one radio message from LH to the team.

:)

Edited by Mila, 19 November 2015 - 13:38.

#15 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:34

In some ways it is fairly ironic, considering how much Nico Rosberg has under performed for most of this season. I doubt many people would rate him as highly as Alonso or whoever else.

Hamilton had Alonso as team mate in his first year, but in my opinion I don't think he's really had a top tier team mate since then.

#16 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:36

And yet you barely ever follow your own advice.   ;)

Not really. I don't comment much on this kind of thing. I contribute sometimes to the Hamilton V Rosberg thread but that is over what is happening on the track.

#17 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:39

In some ways it is fairly ironic, considering how much Nico Rosberg has under performed for most of this season. I doubt many people would rate him as highly as Alonso or whoever else.

Hamilton had Alonso as team mate in his first year, but in my opinion I don't think he's really had a top tier team mate since then.

Button?!

#18 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:44

Button?!

I knew someone would take issue with that. :p

Button is a very good driver, and a deserving World Champion. But is he among the absolute elite in F1, the best in the world? Will he be remembered as one of the best ever, in the way Alonso may well be? I mean no disrespect, but probably not.

Feel free to say I'm talking rubbish if you want, but to me, Webber and Button were of very similar ability. Obviously one won a World Championship, but the only came very close to doing so.

#19 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:45

Hamilton is really getting to people, and that's noticeable on a lot of websites. Curiously this forum isn't one of them.

Advertisement

#20 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:45

Feel free to say I'm talking rubbish if you want, but to me, Webber and Button were of very similar ability. Obviously one won a World Championship, but the only came very close to doing so.

I want to say you're talking rubbish.

#21 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:48

Thanks.

I'd actually like to be harsher, given you know they were never driving the same car and still think that's an argument.

#22 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:51

Webber beat Rosberg when they were team-mates. Just sayin'. 

#23 mwf1

mwf1

• 1,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:52

You could argue that there is some truth to Hams comments MW should have won the 1st of Vettels titles but, when Vettel competing with Ricciardo soundly beaten I can see why he wanted Raikonnen retained.

Edited by mwf1, 19 November 2015 - 13:54.

#24 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:54

Rosberg was a rookie. Webber in his prime. And the Williams was less reliable that year than this years McLaren.

Just sayin'

#25 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 13:59

Thanks.

I'd actually like to be harsher, given you know they were never driving the same car and still think that's an argument.

Your signature tells me all I need to know on how highly you feel about Button, so it seems there's little point getting into an argument over this.

Different opinions. Still think it's a bit rich of Hamilton to be calling other drivers out for the team mates they've had though.

Edited by JHSingo, 19 November 2015 - 14:00.

#26 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:00

Can you state "the obvious" and still be arrogant? Of course you can.

And so Hamilton does. I am a big Alonso fan, yet I cannot deny how arrogant he sounds sometimes. Ditto for Lewis, who I consider the other top driver (and Vettel slightly behind but closing in fast). BTW, Vettel can be extremely arrogant at times, and if we like to indulge in a "your driver said X and is then more arrogant than mine" you can find without much trouble quotes making sound arrogant drivers like Button, Massa, Kimi, Verstappen, Grosjean, etc. Oddly enough, among the ones I found more difficult to recall in an arrogant mood during an interview would be everybody's favorite archenemy, a certain Pastor Maldonado who, despite his antics on track, is always humble and good natured, at least when interviewed by the Latinamerican TV, and never sounded like he was faking it.

As for the past, my all time favorites Senna and Villeneuve were at times inseufferably arrogant, not to mention guys like Piquet, Hunt, Prost, Villeneuve Jr., Montoya, Lauda and Schumi, of course.

So, was Lewis arrogant (assuming those quotes are real), yes!!! Is that horrible and should he be stripped of his WDC? Nah, arrogance is as common as carbon fiber in F1. Keeps these forums happy and busy.

#27 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:03

Your signature tells me all I need to know on how highly you feel about Button, so it seems there's little point getting into an argument over this.

Different opinions. Still think it's a bit rich of Hamilton to be calling other drivers out for the team mates they've had though.

No, it doesn't.  You just think it does, which is quite different.

Differing opinions are fine - it's the argument you use that's worse than rubbish.

There's a reason driver vs driver threads are restricted to team-mates.

#28 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:04

He's right in what he's saying.

Vettel is definitely being flattered having Rai as his teammate.

Then again, Ham only had Alonso in 07 as strong opponent.

#29 Chiwie

Chiwie

• 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:08

Can you state "the obvious" and still be arrogant? Of course you can.

And so Hamilton does. I am a big Alonso fan, yet I cannot deny how arrogant he sounds sometimes. Ditto for Lewis, who I consider the other top driver (and Vettel slightly behind but closing in fast). BTW, Vettel can be extremely arrogant at times, and if we like to indulge in a "your driver said X and is then more arrogant than mine" you can find without much trouble quotes making sound arrogant drivers like Button, Massa, Kimi, Verstappen, Grosjean, etc. Oddly enough, among the ones I found more difficult to recall in an arrogant mood during an interview would be everybody's favorite archenemy, a certain Pastor Maldonado who, despite his antics on track, is always humble and good natured, at least when interviewed by the Latinamerican TV, and never sounded like he was faking it.

As for the past, my all time favorites Senna and Villeneuve were at times inseufferably arrogant, not to mention guys like Piquet, Hunt, Prost, Villeneuve Jr., Montoya, Lauda and Schumi, of course.

So, was Lewis arrogant (assuming those quotes are real), yes!!! Is that horrible and should he be stripped of his WDC? Nah, arrogance is as common as carbon fiber in F1. Keeps these forums happy and busy.

Well now I'm not even sure if he was arrogant, just the tone of the article makes him sound that way.
Why f1 press has to be so sensational? ( well obviously for hits I know, but still annoying)

#30 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:14

Vettel  never had a teammate like Heikki Kovalainen.  Two years as Lewis's teammate only twice did he have a lighter fuel load for qualification in what, 37 races?   Lewis won the championship by 1 point.   

Lewis arrogant or saying stupid things?  Nothing new here.  

#31 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:20

Vettel never had a teammate like Heikki Kovalainen. Two years as Lewis's teammate only twice did he have a lighter fuel load for qualification in what, 37 races? Lewis won the championship by 1 point.

Lewis arrogant or saying stupid things? Nothing new here.

true. Bourdais was even worse

Btw he was not comparing himself and his team mates to vettel and his team mates

Edited by Marklar, 19 November 2015 - 14:22.

#32 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,824 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:20

I'm not a fan of Lewis, but what he has said is spot-on. He ran Alonso close... very close.  :up:  Should have won the WDC that year.

He is right about Vettel's team-mates being weaker, but that's not necessarily Seb's fault. He has won four drivers championships and mentally destroyed Webber. Retaining Kimi is a suspicious move, though. 

#33 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,325 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:27

He's got a point about Vettel but in the usual Hamilton fashion its made in a clumsy way and comes accross quite poorly. Nothing new here.

I do think he is making a mistake playing games like this with Vettel though. Hamilton is far stronger on track than off and they do say knowing your own weaknesses is important.

im sure Vettel will be delighted with these remarks.

#34 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:39

Except for the fact that Lewis explicitly states that Vettel hasn't had a teammate like Alonso...which Lewis has...and as Alonso is considered by pretty much everyone to be the best or equal best on the grid how can what Lewis is saying be perceived as a bit rich?

#35 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Vettel  never had a teammate like Heikki Kovalainen.  Two years as Lewis's teammate only twice did he have a lighter fuel load for qualification in what, 37 races?   Lewis won the championship by 1 point.   

You do realize that a stronger teammate would have taken more points from Massa that year?

#36 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

He's got a point about Vettel but in the usual Hamilton fashion its made in a clumsy way and comes accross quite poorly. Nothing new here.

I do think he is making a mistake playing games like this with Vettel though. Hamilton is far stronger on track than off and they do say knowing your own weaknesses is important.

im sure Vettel will be delighted with these remarks.

I don't think he's playing games.

#37 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:41

I don't think he's playing games.

A journalist is though.

#38 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:42

Lewis arrogant or saying stupid things?  Nothing new here.  

A lot of people are of the opinion you don't know how good a driver is until they go up against a top top driver in the same team. A lot of the people are of the opinion that Alonso qualifies for that definition and Mark Webber and Kimi in 2015 don't.

So he's basically qualifying his praise for Vettel with a completely reasonable viewpoint.

Perhaps unnecessary but I think the reason it's perceived as arrogant is purely because it's Lewis saying it.

#39 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:43

A journalist is though.

Lewis must be complete gold for them, he has no filter for how words may bet twisted etc.

Several times I have read interviews and cringed only to then see the interview and it comes across very very differently.

Which is not to say he doesn't say enough cocky stuff anyway! But I don't think he's nearly as bad as he's made out to be.

Advertisement

#40 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,863 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:44

Who cares? All this is going to do is turn into is a fanboy vs haters thread. Isn't there enough of those?

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 19 November 2015 - 14:46.

#41 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,002 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:45

Hamilton is really getting to people, and that's noticeable on a lot of websites. Curiously this forum isn't one of them.

Those are people who carry a previous animosity about him, I find that most posters here actually read the articles here before posting. 

#42 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:47

Basically he was saying: "Vettel is the best driver but I cant say how good he really is as the reference is missing"

How arrogant.....not

#43 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:49

Britney's in the wall ... :lol:

#44 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,397 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 14:49

ROS beat MSC when they were team-mates. Trice. Just saying'.

#45 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,004 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 15:08

I knew someone would take issue with that. :p

Button is a very good driver, and a deserving World Champion. But is he among the absolute elite in F1, the best in the world? Will he be remembered as one of the best ever, in the way Alonso may well be? I mean no disrespect, but probably not.

He will not, even though he outscored Hamilton over the three years, basically ended JV's F1 career, and he haven't looked shabby at all compared to Alonso this year...

#46 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 969 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 15:10

Did Lewis still suffered Championship-winning after-party hangover?  :rotfl:

Edited by Reinmuster, 19 November 2015 - 15:11.

#47 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 15:14

ROS beat MSC when they were team-mates. Trice. Just saying'.

Thus you and to whom you responded allude to one of these circle comparisons.

The same thing Hamilton was doing himself, btw.

He himself knows that it's never that easy to judge. First against Alonso, then against Button. With Button Hamilton had probably some of his weakest years, but at that time it was also knowns that Whitmarsh seemed to cater more to the needs of Button, than those of Hamilton. In the end, some of those decisions might have even derailed McLaren just a little.So there is never a driver comparison that really shows the entire picture, even for team-mates running the same year.

I

#48 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 15:15

Literally zero controversy in his statements.

#49 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 15:26

He will not, even though he outscored Hamilton over the three years, basically ended JV's F1 career, and he haven't looked shabby at all compared to Alonso this year...

Button is really the odd ball in all of this, and he makes it even harder to understand the bigger picture.

The Alonso vs. Button duel of this year is completely skewed anyway. Too many mechanical issues (and Alonso missing the first race). I do hope next year will give us a better picture.

#50 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 15:30

Arrogant...

Of course, guess a lot of you don't have a clue what it takes to get to be a f1 driver.. Let alone win a gp. Let alone land a top seat and let alone win a championship. If your not.. You wouldn't get of carting..

Major eye roll to people perception of a drivers attitude.

And btw, the guys earned it in spades. Look at how many people have ever won a pinnacle of Motorsport championship.. Very few. Then look at how many have done so multiple titles.. Even less so. Of the hundred of thousands of racers over the last century.. He's in a very elite and small group of guys. Damn straight he can have chip on his shoulder..

He's smart about his career and the moves he makes and his commitment to his craft. So many drivers have had the chance and make a bad move and ruin their opportunity (Jacques being the most recent in my mind of throwing away a career at his prime with a risky move and Fernando being another who's moves just have never worked out for him..).

Edited by Paco, 19 November 2015 - 15:37.