Photo

Bruce at the wheel

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 17:42

In the spirit of 'giving back' to the forum - and with thanks to all those helpful replies of late - here's a special little pic of Bruce at the wheel of his M8D. Have a great weekend guys!

e56943e7b568becf1210eed2558e22d6.jpg

Advertisement

#2 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 18:02

Interesting… there can't be a huge number of pictures of Bruce driving an M8D (though I haven't seen skies quite that colour at Goodwood); do you know the source of the image? 

#3 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 18:14

This wasn't Goodwood as far as I am aware - from time to time you can buy some of these shots on eBay as slides.

I am well aware of the sad connotation of the Bruce / M8D combo, but let's celebrate the man as he sat there in this photo, at the wheel of his car, living his dream! :up:

#4 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 18:15

Interesting… there can't be a huge number of pictures of Bruce driving an M8D (though I haven't seen skies quite that colour at Goodwood); do you know the source of the image?

M8B at The Corkscrew, Laguna Seca??

#5 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 18:21

M8B at The Corkscrew, Laguna Seca??

Quite possible, he certainly isn't driving an M8D, that's clear from the pic.

#6 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 18:33

You may well be right - judging from the black strut behind him!

So scratch my earlier reference to M8D :blush:

Edited by ThursdayCar, 20 November 2015 - 18:36.

#7 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 18:38

'Thursday' is suitably embarrassed about his very basic mistake and will sit quietly in the corner for a minute... :rolleyes:

Edited by ThursdayCar, 20 November 2015 - 18:38.

#8 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 18:53

Hardly a cause for embarrassment...

But did Bruce drive an M8D anywhere other than Goodwood? 

#9 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 19:05

After closer examination on the big screen, I might waffle a bit on the "where..."

I'd thought that was a track above the car, complete with a white line on the edge; but it could be a concrete wall, with the "white line" actually being the top of the wall. Although now that I blunder all that out, if a wall it should be front-lit! < So...

Thursday, stock photographer talking now, but it's always beneficial to credit photos here — not only for IDing details, but also to credit shooters who spend enormous time reinventing their slides (and possibly might otherwise make a sale).

Beyond, it's just the right thing to do, and think it's in the rules as well. But please don't take this as criticism!  :) 

#10 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 19:38

Not taken as such ...and I normally would - and do... BUT... as I said, I bought this image as a slide on eBay and unfortunately it came with zero context or credits... in fact, this is as detailed as it got:

This is an original 35mm color slide.  It's a rare piece of vintage sports memorabilia.

See my problem? :D

#11 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 20:31

...I shall have a look sir! Thanks for the tip!

(It's how you discover your profile photo is on Datingdotcom and your name is Ramon, a successful self-employed businessman from Belize who is available for no strings fun in New York on weekends and Paris during the week - call for a good time).

#12 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 20:37

TinEye stares back at me blankly and confesses to having zero results to impress me with.

Unmounted the slide and am afraid it's carrier edges reveal zero branding, text or numbers... probably a repro?

#13 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 21:01

Oh well, it's a nice picture!

#14 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 22:00

You would have no problem selling prints of that image. Lightroom would likely bring out more shadow detail lost with the density, partly from the polarizer.

Except that ownership of the physical film doesn't necessarily confer ownership of the image  :-)

Mind you, you'd expect such a striking image to be better-known if someone else had the original, and it's presumably not a random enthusiast's forgotten shot. 

If it is a dupe, some of the shadow-detail could be lost for good, depending on how carefully it was duped.

I figured it was taken by a passenger (on some sort of demo ride maybe) - that maroon patch at bottom right suggests an arm. It looks a bit like 'fleece' which I don't think we had back then.

With that enhanced sky colour, it's very much a 'Gulf' shot!

#15 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 22:09

Hi guys - well let me bring that particular line of speculation to a halt right now then: I am not going to reprint it to sell prints!

It's a lovely shot that I use as a wallpaper on my PC and I may print it for myself, to put on my office wall.

It was actually taken using a rig inside the car - I have seen a few shots of cameras mounted on rigs, not just in Bruce's car but also other drivers'.

Cannot remember the context of when and who by to be honest...

#16 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 22:30

When did he have the Gulf decal on his silver helmet?  Don't think I've ever seen that before, or if I have, I've forgotten.  I wonder if his use of the decal was during a limited period of time, which might narrow things down to his location.

Great photo.  Love the straight-arm technique.  Not like them stock-car drivers we got today.  Farina would be proud. 

#17 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 22:44

Especially in this context, copyright is always worthy of a brief discussion, if I may...

2F, Bravo on the callout, for clarification if nothing else. You're right, in that there could be copyright constraints, but as it was sold as "an original 35mm color slide" transfer of copyright is implied — even if the seller hadn't the right to do so. So the question becomes, "How did the seller get the original, or even duplicated film?" I suspect the shooter and/or image originated in America, if for no other reason than the ad doesn't say "colour."

Any infringement claim here would fall upon the seller who sold it to our intrepid OP in such a manner. In stock photography, it is up to the photographer, or agent acting on their contracted behalf, to specify and/or transfer copyright. If this were one of several image variants, only this particular image would then belong to the buyer — but not any similars, even if nearly identical. Personally, I'd never transfer an original in this manner, in some cases a highly-sellable image can fetch thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars if selling "All Rights." (though racing images rarely fetch such amounts)

This leads me to believe "Estate Sale" or duplicate, begging the question "Why did the photographer allow their image to be duplicated?" and also, "Why isn't it copyright stamped?"

So, if the photographer sold or parted with the original, that was their decision. A claim now would just be sour grapes rather than substantive.

I think the maroon bit could be a pillow or something, it would be impossible to hold a "right-handed" camera that way and see one's arm — unless perhaps there was a rig and a passenger, or it's a left arm holding onto something. I will add that Lightroom is unworldly in the detail it can pull from shadows, not at all like Photoshop on that capability, even when appearing to be totally blocked up.

#18 PCC

PCC

• 1,095 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 23:46

Quite possible, he certainly isn't driving an M8D, that's clear from the pic.

Is that a wing-strut support at the right of the frame emerging from behind Bruce's helmet? Which would definitely make it an M8B, no?

#19 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 00:01

I assumed it was the wing-strut, and a shadow thereof.

When I figured there was another person on board - I assumed that if the camera was hand-held the shooter was not looking through the viewfinder. But of course a rig is entirely possible - I've used such a thing myself a couple of times. Doesn't the driver look a bit 'crowded'?

E1pix - yes, the issue of rights and usage of an image can be easily misunderstood by the layman, can't they? I've sometimes found that even clients turn out not to understand quite what they are buying when an image is used in a broader project.

Advertisement

#20 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 00:13

E1pix - yes, the issue of rights and usage of an image can be easily misunderstood by the layman, can't they? I've sometimes found that even clients turn out not to understand quite what they are buying when an image is used in a broader project.

:up:  Sounds like we do similar things for a living.   :wave:

#21 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:09

I seem to remember that photo, but ! to quote Mr. Cocker " if you remember the sixties, you weren't there"   :stoned:   and think it was in Road & Track or Car & Driver in period ? with todays technology, it might have been tweaked, and reposted.

Mike (group7) in Canada

edit: a very similar image, by Bob Tronolone, looks to be taken from track side, and shows more of the car.  was in the January '70 issue of Road & Track, in coverage of the Laguna Seca Can-Am, written by James T. Crow.

Edited by group7, 21 November 2015 - 04:47.

#22 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,091 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:41

It's an M8B, taken at Edmonton. In other pictures from the series it's possible to see some distinctive buildings in the background.

#23 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 15:28

Fabulous, Nigel!

Might you know who the photographer was?

#24 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,091 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 17:12

Unfortunately not. For what it's worth they were on an ebay shop run by "dr.jteeee", but with no detail. I figured out the venue by cross referencing the silhouette of the stands in the background in other pics from the series with photos I have from known tracks.

#25 Obster

Obster

• 195 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 17:38

Great image of Bruce in the cockpit. Thanks for posting.

Remember, by the time he tested the 8D he was wearing a full face helmet.

#26 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 19:06

Thanks Obster!

Nigel, you are correct, this is where I bought the slide from :up:

#27 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 19:45

I'm starting to realize my copyright advice may have been premature…  :well:

#28 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 21:51

"Bad is advice is only bad when followed" :drunk:

#29 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:39

You're welcome. :-/

#30 ThursdayCar

ThursdayCar

• 207 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:03

PS - Show me some of your work sometime?