P1 vs 918 vs LaFerrari at Portimao

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 16:41

VtRIt3t.gif?noredirect

Will love to hear comments from you guys and especially fatboy on the cars and the driving since hes been a bit critical of Chris harris in the past.

here you have serious attempts at lap times.

Let me just talk out of my ass and say that LaFerrari seems so hard on the front in the fast lap. It just bounces.. And the 918 looks so smooth as a comparison but kinda slow at apex/midcorner compared to it during the rest.

Very impressive cars and performance i must say. All we need know is a Koenigsegg at the same track.

Edited by MatsNorway, 26 November 2015 - 16:42.

Advertisement

#2 carlt

carlt

• 4,169 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 18:13

The Mclaren just looks so good , visually and on the track

#3 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,845 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 18:35

I'd take the McLaren.

#4 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,841 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 19:13

Why wouldn't all three run the same tires??

#5 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,845 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 19:44

They are designed for the tires they are delivered on.

When I was a kid, I also wanted a test to end with a winner. And everything should be fair and an even playing field. What this test show is that level playing field is unattainable and just enjoy and appreciate the cars for what they are.

But I'd still have the McLaren given the opportunity (as if...)

#6 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 20:24

Why wouldn't all three run the same tires??

Because the Macca and the Ferrari come with Pirellis from the factory (Ferrari with a single spec of tire, Macca with the same one plus a track-focused one), while the Porsche is factory-shod on Michelins and switching to any other tires without suspension adjustments would probably affect its handling quite badly. Particularly since I guess the Pirellis on the P1 and the LaF are not designed to put power to the road through the front wheels, the Porsche being the only (temporary) 4WD car in the lineup.

#7 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,349 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 22:59

That's absolutely true on the road, where the nuances of the steering and handling are more important than ultimate grip, but I suspect on the track you'd pretty much sacrifice all that stuff for more grip.

#8 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,635 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 23:40

For a mug driver like me it would have to be the Porsche for a track day. The Ferrari for the sound.

#9 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,384 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:25

For the first time, I could imagine the P1 as a descendent of the original F1 - you can see the styling cues particularly in the door cove/inset dealie ( <- technical term there). I like that.

I would imagine I might be "safest" in the Porsche but my couch-based desire is the P1. And a Koenigsegg. And a Pagani. And a Gumpert. Just so I can say "Gumpert".

#10 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,065 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:15

That's absolutely true on the road, where the nuances of the steering and handling are more important than ultimate grip, but I suspect on the track you'd pretty much sacrifice all that stuff for more grip.

Yes, but putting power through front tires that were never designed to handle it would screw with both handling and traction, even on a track. That's the main point: P1 and LaF are overpowered RWD cars with tires suited to that kind of power delivery, the 918 is variable 4WD with tires designed for that specific power delivery.

#11 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,349 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:37

do tell me how the oarsum power through the front wheels is so hard to handle compared with the braking loads.

#12 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:27

VtRIt3t.gif?noredirect

Will love to hear comments from you guys and especially fatboy on the cars and the driving since hes been a bit critical of Chris harris in the past.

here you have serious attempts at lap times.

Let me just talk out of my ass and say that LaFerrari seems so hard on the front in the fast lap. It just bounces.. And the 918 looks so smooth as a comparison but kinda slow at apex/midcorner compared to it during the rest.

Very impressive cars and performance i must say. All we need know is a Koenigsegg at the same track.

The pic looks like a drift event with all that tyre smoke, and tail out. They must be going slowly to do that.

Vid wont play for me, my internet has gone back to steam driven again. Too far from a capital city,, 6km!

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 27 November 2015 - 09:28.

#13 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:29

Pulling in the opposite direction? :wave:

#14 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 15:59

The pic looks like a drift event with all that tyre smoke, and tail out. They must be going slowly to do that.

Vid wont play for me, my internet has gone back to steam driven again. Too far from a capital city,, 6km!

Hold your horses until your steam starts going. he did it properly if you as me..

Edited by MatsNorway, 27 November 2015 - 15:59.

#15 imaginesix

imaginesix

• 7,525 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:35

Nice that he got straight to the point with the fast lap shootout at the start. Also enjoyed watching the Ferrari as it displayed a lot of body language when driven hard, making it look like it was really on a knife's edge. If it's as rewarding to drive as the video makes it seem, I might have to favour it over the McLaren, which was my favourite before watching.

But of course this is all armchair racer speculation on my part. I'll have to wait for my invitation to drive these cars to come in the mail before I can form any meaningful conclusions.

Edited by imaginesix, 04 December 2015 - 12:36.

#16 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,400 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 13:48

I wonder how much lap time the McLaren's race mode gives.

#17 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 15:10

I wonder how much lap time the McLaren's race mode gives.

I've read online that the increase in downforce is huge, like 300-400kgs just from race mode.

From reading websites of owners that are very familiar with the P1, they have said that they think the car is severely tire limited when it comes to maintaining lateral grip, as the chassis and downforce configuration is capable of producing much higher loads than the tyres can handle, vs the LaFa and 918. This is even on Trofeos.

I'd guess that if all three were fitted and set upwith slicks, the % gain in lap time for the P1 on a track like Portimao would be greater than the other 2 cars, based solely on downforce.

Edited by CountDooku, 15 December 2015 - 15:10.

#18 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 17:01

But would it beat a Koenigsegg 1:1? The Swede is lighter and has stupid amounts of power. But the importance of power goes quickly down when you have enough to light up your wheels at all times. So im not so sure the Swedish car would be so much better. if at all. I sincerely hope someone gets to do a head to head comparison on a track one day.

#19 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,349 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 20:33

"I've read online that the increase in downforce is huge, like 300-400kgs just from race mode."  Any particular speed, or just a number pulled from thin air?

Advertisement

#20 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:20

"I've read online that the increase in downforce is huge, like 300-400kgs just from race mode."  Any particular speed, or just a number pulled from thin air?

The number given by McLaren is a maximum of 600kgs at 155mph. From then onwards the car starts to trim downforce as the suspension components can't handle the forces.

You're right, I should have mentioned the speed. Very sloppy. Of course no downforce (or only very little) is generated from thin air.  ;)

#21 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,635 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:51

Hmm. I thought all downforce came from thin air?

#22 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:29

Next you'll be telling me space planes generate lift at the edge of space....

#23 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,635 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 00:22

No slight intended. Definition of "thin air" has always been:

http://idioms.thefre...out of thin air

#24 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:48

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

#25 gruntguru