* * * * * 1 votes

Abu Dhabi Post Season Tyre Test 2015

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:56

I can't imagine there will be much information from it seeing as journalists are not allowed.

12 hour test starts at 9.00 local time (05.00 GMT). 1 car per team.
Drivers:
Mercedes Wehrlein?
Ferrari Vettel/Raikkonen
Williams Bottas
Red Bull Ricciardo (Kvyat?)
Force India Celis/Hulkenberg
Lotus Palmer
Toro Rosso Sainz/Verstappen
Sauber Fong
McLaren Vandoorne
Manor King/Haryanto

Pirelli to direct the program. No upgrades to be run on the cars.
One aim of the test is to develop the new super soft tyres (Pirelli have several different solutions they want to trial)

http://www.pirelli.c...t-at-abu-dhabi/

Originally Pirelli only wanted race drivers but due to some teams needing to sell the seats to afford to run they had to relax the rules.

Edited by Gilles4Ever, 01 December 2015 - 06:23.

Advertisement

#2 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:24

Drapeau rouge. The Red Bull has stopped on the outside of Turn 16 to bring out the red flag #F1

CVHnWi-W4AEq10p.jpg

#3 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:25

During a lull in proceedings, Rio gets the opportunity of his first download with the engineers.

CVHo-LUUkAAnObw.jpg

#4 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:37

I can't imagine there will be much information from it seeing as journalists are not allowed.

Why was this again? I hope it gets flouted every which way if so.

#5 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:59

their reasoning:

The company said in a statement: "All teams will attend the test, running one car each, and they will not be allowed to try new parts nor alter the cars in any way during the test.

"Pirelli will define the test programme for each car. The tyres used during this test will not be considered as part of the testing allocation for 2015 and will not show any branding or colour markings to indicate which tyre set is fitted to each car.

"A very full testing program is planned due to the limited amount of time available. The full results will not be available until some days after the test is concluded, as all the data from the teams is collected and analysed."

Added to that, the media have not been invited to watch the action.

"For all these reasons Pirelli and the teams have with regret taken the joint decision to keep the test closed to the media. Pirelli will, however, be releasing a full press release at the end of the test," the statement added.

http://planetf1.com/...d-closed-doors/

#6 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:07

Thanks. Not convinced any of that really adds up to a reasonable justification to keep the press out, mind. On the other hand, I guess  the silly secrecy has transformed that pic of that broken down Red Bull upthread from something bogstandard in testing into something thrillingly illicit.

#7 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:10

If they're afraid of blow ups or some problems with tyres I can understand Pirelli doesn't want the media there. If not... it's stupid they whine about the money while missing a perfectly good chance for extra exposure.

#8 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:26

Pirelli motorsport boss Paul Hembery is concerned one test session is unlikely to be enough to bring a tyre performance 'cliff' back to Formula 1.

While the main aim of Tuesday's 12-hour test session at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi is to run the rule over the new-for-2016 ultra-soft compound, Pirelli is also looking at again increasing the number of pitstops.

The primary concern for Pirelli is ensuring the ultra-soft tyre works, with four variants overall to be tested as it tries to find the best solution.

"The ultra-soft is the real priority," added Hembery.

"We've four different proposals for the ultra-soft, but it will be completely blind for the teams so they won't know what we are looking at.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/122076

#9 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:28

They just don't want the media to report the truth, just like the drivers not being allowed to criticise Pirelli anymore...

#10 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:33

Opinion on Pirelli aside, It is a private test held on private property so they can invite/keep out whoever they so wish. I don't have a problem with that. 

My heart sank when i saw the Autosport headline of '12 hours to find the cliff'. I know it's probably too much to ask of Pirelli to produce a racey & durable tyre, but why are they still being asked to replicate the 'Canada 2010 scenario' every weekend? It was good then because it was a 1 off. 

What other racing tyre on earth produces more marbles ON THE STRAIGHTS than it does on the outside of corners??? They degrade with centrifugal force, not wear. It's all wrong. 

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:40

If they're afraid of blow ups or some problems with tyres I can understand Pirelli doesn't want the media there. 

On past form, they should lobby to keep the cameras away for the race weekends too to be on the safe side. :D

#12 Jonnycraig37

Jonnycraig37

• 728 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:46

Thanks. Not convinced any of that really adds up to a reasonable justification to keep the press out, mind. On the other hand, I guess the silly secrecy has transformed that pic of that broken down Red Bull upthread from something bogstandard in testing into something thrillingly illicit.

To be fair, why would the press need to be there? There is literally nothing to report.

#13 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:56

To be fair, why would the press need to be there? There is literally nothing to report.

Seems like that is something the journos could weigh up and decide for themselves.

#14 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:13

I'm not a fan of secrecy, but given the walloping Pirelli have had a various times this year, and given that they are trying out a new, experimental tyre, there may be large piles of purple hinted rubber marooned around the track, and they may not want this graphically and instantly sprayed globally.

On the other hand the secrecy makes it look like they are expecting to have significant failure rates, and any journo/photographer is going to want to get an eyeful.

The main thing I'm worried about is are the cars going to run at full tilt?  I know that the engines don't need to be saved any more, but is there anything left to be saved, all the engines will have significant milage, and are they going to be doing enough to realistically simulate the conditions in a full blown race?  Also, is this track known for degradation?

The, in my opinion, ridiculous limits on testing mean that if the data from this test is insufficient, we could have problems next year.

EDIT: Pre-coffee typos...

Edited by Lotus53B, 01 December 2015 - 09:14.

#15 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:15

I can get the press not being allowed to be there. But, if we start winter testing with six huge tyre blow-outs and it becomes apparent there were huge concerns during this test already, Pirelli will have dug themselves a nice little hole.

#16 Jonnycraig37

Jonnycraig37

• 728 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:18

Seems like that is something the journos could weigh up and decide for themselves.

Given the chance, they would love an extra days jolly in the sun getting retweets for completely pointless nonsense, a fact Pirelli know well.

#17 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:28

55 laps for Rio Haryanto this morning. Next up, it's the turn of our Development Driver Jordan King! @ymcofficial

#18 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:31

Pirelli motorsport boss Paul Hembery is concerned one test session is unlikely to be enough to bring a tyre performance 'cliff' back to Formula 1.

While the main aim of Tuesday's 12-hour test session at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi is to run the rule over the new-for-2016 ultra-soft compound, Pirelli is also looking at again increasing the number of pitstops.

The primary concern for Pirelli is ensuring the ultra-soft tyre works, with four variants overall to be tested as it tries to find the best solution.

"The ultra-soft is the real priority," added Hembery.

"We've four different proposals for the ultra-soft, but it will be completely blind for the teams so they won't know what we are looking at.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/122076

Oh dear lord no. Just No. Graphics like they are now take a full lap to place drivers in the correct places and gaps on live timing. FOM graphics on screen give no hope to follow the actual strategy if more than 2 stops are made. I remember some of the anti-refuellingmob stating who wants to see a car stop? And now we have three more years with this crap. 

On past form, they should lobby to keep the cameras away for the race weekends too to be on the safe side.  :D

Just like the past race weekends. The crazy Mexicans were fun, but that is the only highlight since Austin.

#19 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 290 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:48

Instead of trying to find a cliff, they should throw these Pirelli's off the nearest cliff instead. Would be one hell of a 'show'

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:01

"The full results will not be available until some days after the test is concluded, as all the data from the teams is collected and analysed."

Five shite years in F1 and Pirelli goes all Pyongyang. How great it is that Bernie has renewed the contract.

#21 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,563 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:14

Since there is no re-fueling anymore (thank deity of choice), there's no reason to do pit-stops.

Just make a bloody tire that can last the whole race, even if the pilot lights them up coming out of every corner!! (and please, aforementioned deity: give the cars so little grip and so much ooomph, that they will)

But I forgot, we must "improve" the show......

#22 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:19

Live stream:

#23 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:22

If they all have to pit within the same 2 laps, we have extra pitstops, a FOM director who can't track it (split screen or screen inserts anyone?) but zero additional overtakes. With the dual compound rule, the top 10 has the same starting point anyway. They should abolish the start on Q tire rule.

And I hope the mediums get better. The softs can hold on for about as many laps and give more performance from lap 1.

#24 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,563 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:28

Live stream:

LOL, I'm writhing on the floor after the newsreader started into it !! Epic!

#25 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:33

Aren't tire tests frequently closed to the media? Or at least not covered much?

#26 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:38

Five shite years in F1 and Pirelli goes all Pyongyang. How great it is that Bernie has renewed the contract.

fits perfectly

#27 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:45

Aren't tire tests frequently closed to the media? Or at least not covered much?

Jup, all of them... I can only remember Mercedes having one in 2013 and since then zero(?)

#28 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:55

In Spanish http://directo.laf1.es/ 

Quite detailed reports for a private test on that website. I don't know how he gets the lap times though.

#29 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,164 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 13:24

Quite detailed reports for a private test on that website. I don't know how he gets the lap times though.

Nice. So they report all cars locking up massively at turn 17 (the tricky right-hander before the left-hander that goes under the hotel). Lap times around 1'45" - 1'46" (these are similar to lap times they were doing mid-race on Sunday), with tyres getting in trouble after ~7 laps.

#30 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 13:28

CVI9wqmWIAEDt3v.jpg

Chris Medland @ChrisMedlandF1
Raikkonen takes over the Ferrari from Vettel but just can't get Turn 18 right. Two lock-ups and running wide in the last 10 minutes #F1

Edited by Marklar, 01 December 2015 - 13:33.

#31 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 13:37

Nice. So they report all cars locking up massively at turn 17 (the tricky right-hander before the left-hander that goes under the hotel). Lap times around 1'45" - 1'46" (these are similar to lap times they were doing mid-race on Sunday), with tyres getting in trouble after ~7 laps.

Let me guess... The supersupersofts are a bit on the cold side?

#32 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,164 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 13:38

Let me guess... The supersupersofts are a bit on the cold side?

At least they have a cliff! Too bad they start from sea level.

#33 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 13:57

CVI9wqmWIAEDt3v.jpg

Chris Medland @ChrisMedlandF1
Raikkonen takes over the Ferrari from Vettel but just can't get Turn 18 right. Two lock-ups and running wide in the last 10 minutes #F1

Wow look at all the updates.

#34 CPR

CPR

• 5,800 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 14:50

Impressively detailed reporting... however they did it  :up:

#35 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 14:55

@autosport #F1 teams took the chance to track test 2016 developments in Abu Dhabi, @ScarbsF1 explains: http://beta.autospor...ks-in-abu-dhabi

#36 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 15:07

Alfonso Celis Jr completed 65 laps in first @ForceIndiaF1 AD test with a best 1m 48.545 lap. Hulkenberg completed 71 laps, 1m 45.852s #F1

#37 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 15:09

Impressively detailed reporting... however they did it  :up:

It's more detailed than we get from winter testing when the journalists are at the track with access to timing screens :)

A quick scan through looks like the fastest lap is a 1.42.8, done by Vettel as part of a 9 lap run, with 2 other laps in the 1.44s then tailing off into the 1.46 and 1.47s.

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 15:12

Yup, site is already bookmarked for winter testing :up:

#39 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 6,968 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 15:51

Would they have to change/rebuild any of the car(s) to cover the mileage that 12 hours of running would cover?

I guess some cars may just about manage it!

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 01 December 2015 - 15:51.

Advertisement

#40 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 15:55

Don't blame Perelli they are just doing what they have been told to do.

Absolutely Perelli don't have enough time to make an almost impossible tire.

#41 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 15:58

Would they have to change/rebuild any of the car(s) to cover the mileage that 12 hours of running would cover?

I guess some cars may just about manage it!

I don't think any of them are running for 12 hours though - several teams have already finished their programs (Force India, Lotus, Williams) and Williams completed 103 laps and Force India 136 (with 2 drivers - is it possible they used 2 different chassis maybe???) (GP was 55 laps for reference) McLaren and Red Bull both had long stoppages throughout the day so are probably a bit behind.

Edited by Exb, 01 December 2015 - 15:59.

#42 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:00

2ee0f61f64d268544ef80a8358f66ab0.jpg

#43 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,498 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:14

Don't blame Perelli they are just doing what they have been told to do.

Absolutely Perelli don't have enough time to make an almost impossible tire.

If they are told to go away, why don't they listen then? :p

#44 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,436 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:18

I hate this Pirelli Tire Era more and more with each passing day.

#45 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:19

Will be interesting to see how many of the 10 teams issue proper press releases about today's running. Only @ForceIndiaF1 so far

If you're wondering why so little news has come out of the @pirellisport F1 test thus far that's what happens when the media is banned!

I was told the media ban started as a clampdown on guests and hangers-on so teams could save money with skeleton hospitality crews...

Somehow the media got added to that and in any case it suited Pirelli to do its experimental running in private

@adamcooperF1 @pirellisport We should just not talk about it and pretend it never happened.

#46 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:29

Can't get excited about a test with the aim to verify how well they've engineered (lasting) mechanical grip out of their tyres.

#47 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:34

cliff is the last thing i want...I want tyres that can be bullied with which drivers can attack to their satisfaction.

i know, there's always tyre saving aspect. Just normal tyres i'm talking about, like Bridgestone tyre, like Michlin tires, like goodyear tyres, like tyres in any comtemporary motorsport series except F1.

#48 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:38

Looks like they have finished for the day/year :)

#49 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:41

Quite detailed reports for a private test on that website. I don't know how he gets the lap times though

2ee0f61f64d268544ef80a8358f66ab0.jpg

Appears exactly that way :p

via google translate

we have chosen to get on the Yas Viceroy hotel and follow this session the old -fashioned way: with a stopwatch and eye contact .

Impressive dedication there! Very good job for over 11 hours!

Edited by Exb, 01 December 2015 - 16:43.

#50 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,711 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 16:46

cliff is the last thing i want...I want tyres that can be bullied with which drivers can attack to their satisfaction.

i know, there's always tyre saving aspect. Just normal tyres i'm talking about, like Bridgestone tyre, like Michlin tires, like goodyear tyres, like tyres in any comtemporary motorsport series except F1.

Exactly. Why the F can't Pirelli and the powers that be, realize that the best race this year was the one where the tires (by chance) held up and could be ran on at maximum pace, was by far the best one??!! (Hungarian GP)