- - - - -

Wolff: Driver tension may force line-up change [split topic]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
470 replies to this topic

#1 pRy

pRy

• 26,336 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:22

Interesting threat from Toto to change the line up if tensions still exist in 2016. Sounds like a lot has been going on behind closed doors too involving other team members.

I'd quite like to see Lewis and maybe even Lauda switch to Ferrari for 2017. That would be fun.

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:33

Interesting threat from Toto to change the line up if tensions still exist in 2016. Sounds like a lot has been going on behind closed doors too involving other team members.
I'd quite like to see Lewis and maybe even Lauda switch to Ferrari for 2017. That would be fun.

Just for those who dont know it

http://www.motorspor...-line-up-change

"We struggle sometimes in winning races on Sunday and having always one [driver] upset, [...] It is something that needs to stop. We took the decision of having two evenly matched drivers in order to make the team progress faster and better[...]Going forward, we will consider if it is the best set-up for the team. If we feel that it is not aligned with the general consensus, spirit and philosophy within the team, we might consider that when we take a decision, in terms of the driver line-up going forward."

When asked to clarify if that meant a change in team philosophy to have a number one and number two instead, or simply a change of one of the current drivers, Wolff said: "I think it is important to have talented and fast drivers in the car. But we want to work with nice guys."

"If I were to analyse what are the biggest strengths and the biggest weakness of the team [...]"The biggest weakness is the dynamic of the relationship between the drivers – and sometimes between the drivers and the team."

Edited by Marklar, 02 December 2015 - 09:36.

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:41

My take on that: domination in the current unreachable form ends, now we cant do the same **** at every single race (one driver is always upset) and may switching our policy, one driver (Rosbergs contract ends) will leave unless they are starting to behave.

Or in short: I guess its Nicos last year at Mercedes...

Edited by Marklar, 02 December 2015 - 09:44.

#4 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,561 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:43

Wolff overreacting? perfect harmony isn't possible anyway ... its fine as it is now imho

#5 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:44

So they want to have (change to) a number #1 and #2 driver philosophy?

I wonder who they try to buy out the contract Rosberg may be the cheapest?

Well done Mercedes - NOT!!! :down: :down:  A good way to win fans... :down:

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:44

If Hamilton wins his third straight title next season and Raikkonen's departure opens the scarlet door, I could certainly see the problem taking care of itself. Or moving to Ferrari.

#7 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:46

If Hamilton wins his third straight title next season and Raikkonen's departure opens the scarlet door, I could certainly see the problem taking care of itself. Or moving to Ferrari.

But would Vettel let Hamilton join? or do you mean Rosberg?

What is the current contracts lengths in place? as basically aren't NR and LH contracts due to expire at the same time?

#8 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:47

But would Vettel let Hamilton join? or do you mean Rosberg?

What is the current contracts lengths in place? as basically aren't NR and LH contracts due to expire at the same time?

Nico end 2016

Lewis end 2017

#9 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:51

Perhaps they should let them race instead of keeping them on unusable strategies? 

#10 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:54

Toto manages Bottas. Likely he could do a deal with Williams? We give you one more engine mode . .  .

#11 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:56

Mercedes trying to get in the news ...? 

In other words - if we are to change one of our drivers the new driver can expect to be a clear # 2, just smile and be happy and finish behind his team mate. 

#12 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:56

Wolff overreacting? perfect harmony isn't possible anyway ... its fine as it is now imho

We don't know how strained it is behind closed doors. We enjoy the show out front but it might be causing tension and strain for the guys working in the team, which can't go on.

#13 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:57

Team wins two consecutive WDC and WCC
-Drivers have tensions
-Team Bosses falling out
-Drivers have tensions with team members

:lol:

#14 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:57

I think they need to do something. A poisoned atmosphere within the team takes out the sweet taste of victory and... well, victories is all they get to taste at Mercedes. So who will they get rid of? Hamilton has a longer contract, but I assume that if Nico starts winning and Lewis feel they are working against him... I am quite sure he has the option to leave early.

I think Nico will be the 2016 World Champion.

Edited by ardbeg, 02 December 2015 - 10:00.

#15 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:00

What I have to add: this season except of China everything looked to be very harmoniously up until Austin with cap gate and the fact that Mercedes denied a Rosberg a big team meeting about the turn 1 incident.

#16 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:03

He said the same in 2014. I think this one is the final warning, those two are like a couple of kids sometimes.

Edited by MikeV1987, 02 December 2015 - 10:06.

#17 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:12

What I have to add: this season except of China everything looked to be very harmoniously up until Austin with cap gate and the fact that Mercedes denied a Rosberg a big team meeting about the turn 1 incident.

Did you miss Monaco. ;) Both drivers are always ready to throw a tantrum when things don't go their way and it is never their own fault as well. 

#18 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:16

Did you miss Monaco. ;) Both drivers are always ready to throw a tantrum when things don't go their way and it is never their own fault as well.

I didnt saw this season tension between Hamilton and Rosberg in Monaco. Completely the opposite actually.

I saw tensions in China and at every single race since Austin.

Edited by Marklar, 02 December 2015 - 10:17.

#19 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:16

Toto manages Bottas. Likely he could do a deal with Williams? We give you one more engine mode . .  .

Well that being possible is ridiculous and would underline the horrible hold Mercedes and to some extent Ferrari have on the sport. 

Anyway IMO Bottas is nowhere near deserving of a top seat anyway. He is mediocre and fits nicely into his current mediocre team.

Advertisement

#20 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:18

I think they need to do something. A poisoned atmosphere within the team takes out the sweet taste of victory and... well, victories is all they get to taste at Mercedes. So who will they get rid of? Hamilton has a longer contract, but I assume that if Nico starts winning and Lewis feel they are working against him... I am quite sure he has the option to leave early.

I think Nico will be the 2016 World Champion.

That'll be the line used if Rosberg does start beating Hamilton consistently next season.

From what I have seen, Mercedes has never worked against either. They've given them both a great car.

#21 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:22

"We struggle sometimes in winning races on Sunday and having always one [driver] upset, [...] It is something that needs to stop. We took the decision of having two evenly matched drivers in order to make the team progress faster and better [...]. Going forward, we will consider if it is the best set-up for the team. If we feel that it is not aligned with the general consensus, spirit and philosophy within the team, we might consider that when we take a decision, in terms of the driver line-up going forward."

'Going forward' twice, dear Bernie! Did he get an (extra) MBA in the USA over the summer break?

In any case; I am reminded of Wolff's response to questions about Mercedes supplying engines to Red Bull, when he said: "[I have] the responsibility to represent the Mercedes-Benz brand in the right way in Formula One‎ - and to make sure it is represented in the right way by others, too."

Aside from any issues that might exist within the team, I have been dumbfounded by the gloomy attitude of the Mercedes drivers this year. The blank stares, the uncomfortable shrugs; what's going on? Why aren't these guys the epitome of happiness and spreading joy throughout the world of F1?

#22 Jonnycraig37

Jonnycraig37

• 728 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:23

Translation: Rosberg was getting a bit too close for comfort at the end of 2015.

#23 Fisico54

Fisico54

• 1,008 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:23

Well that being possible is ridiculous and would underline the horrible hold Mercedes and to some extent Ferrari have on the sport.

Anyway IMO Bottas is nowhere near deserving of a top seat anyway. He is mediocre and fits nicely into his current mediocre team.

3rd in the WCC is hardly mediocre

#24 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:26

3rd in the WCC is hardly mediocre

Not once did they seriously challenge for a race win despite having the best engine.

Translation: Rosberg was getting a bit too close for comfort at the end of 2015.

Don't say that on here mate. Apparently everything at Mercedes is tuned to work against Hamilton just like it was when he was at McLaren :rolleyes:

#25 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:38

From what I have seen, Mercedes has never worked against either. They've given them both a great car.

Changing the clutch which influenced Lewis' starts seems to me like working against him. Especially if you consider how perfect his starts have been before. Changing things on Rosberg's car if he's struggling is ok, but on both cars just because one of them is struggling?

Same goes for that new suspension or whatever has caused Lewis to struggle with the car ever since Singapore. To me it seems as if Mercedes are keen on keeping Rosberg motivated and happy at all costs. Even at the cost of compromising their World Champion. 

#26 ANF

ANF

• 29,519 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:40

He said the same in 2014. I think this one is the final warning, those two are like a couple of kids sometimes.

Hating each other since Monaco 2014 and Rosberg's qualifying excursion into the escape road.

Before that happened, you could see them talking and even joking and smiling after the end of the race. Now they can hardly look at each other.

#27 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:40

I am one of the rare breed of F1 fans who prefers teams having a clear #1 and #2 driver so would welcome it if Merc went down this route.  Intra-team rivalry almost always leads to people crying that one driver is being favoured over another so I really think it's better for F1 to have teams not adopt this policy and then not have racing drivers behave like kids.  

Bottas might be who Totto is looking for for 2017 but bare in mind that Button's contract also ends that year, plus if Alonso takes his rumoured sabbatical he may also be available and that's before you get onto the likes of KMag, Vandroome, Perez, Hulk, Max, Carlos, etc.  No driver would turn down a seat in that team even if it meant being #2.

#28 Cig35

Cig35

• 641 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:41

It ends anyway. Pretty obvious that he is preparing his departure imo.

Rosberg ends 2016, Hamilton 2018

Do we really know Rosberg's contract terms? I think Mercedes have officially been a bit vague and only said that a "multi-year" contract was signed in 2014. That can then be interpreted as at least two seasons, but is there any reliable source saying that it ends after the 2016 season?

#29 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:45

Rumours anounded at #AbuDhabiGP that the public shenanigans are just the tip of the iceberg with Hamilton and Rosberg at war

#30 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:49

I think it would be pretty stupid to kick out their 3-time world champion and marketing magnet in favour of Rosberg, who although being a very good driver isn't on the Hamilton level and has nowhere near as much fans nor marketing value.

#31 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:51

Toto's just laying the ground work for bringing in his boy Bottas. 

#32 ANF

ANF

• 29,519 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:53

I am one of the rare breed of F1 fans who prefers teams having a clear #1 and #2 driver so would welcome it if Merc went down this route.  Intra-team rivalry almost always leads to people crying that one driver is being favoured over another so I really think it's better for F1 to have teams not adopt this policy and then not have racing drivers behave like kids.  

Bottas might be who Totto is looking for for 2017 but bare in mind that Button's contract also ends that year, plus if Alonso takes his rumoured sabbatical he may also be available and that's before you get onto the likes of KMag, Vandroome, Perez, Hulk, Max, Carlos, etc.  No driver would turn down a seat in that team even if it meant being #2.

I can definitely see Bottas and Rosberg swapping drives for 2017. I'm not sure there needs to be a clear #1 and #2 though as long as they don't start hating each other.

#33 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:55

Mercedes trying to get in the news ...? 

In other words - if we are to change one of our drivers the new driver can expect to be a clear # 2, just smile and be happy and finish behind his team mate. 

I don't think Lewis would be happy in that kind of team?

#34 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:55

Toto's just laying the ground work for bringing in his boy Bottas. 

You heard it here first - that swop happens for 2016....   ;) lol!

Edited by GrumpyYoungMan, 02 December 2015 - 10:56.

#35 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:56

I think it would be pretty stupid to kick out their 3-time world champion and marketing magnet in favour of Rosberg, who although being a very good driver isn't on the Hamilton level and has nowhere near as much fans nor marketing value.

Well, Rosberg would have had 2 titles with that car if Hamilton wasn't performing. Mercedes doesn't need an expensive driver like Hamilton to win these titles for them. 

But I wonder how big the iceberg is. Do we get a wall like Rossi/Lorenzo in the past?

#36 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,085 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:57

There is something odd about the relationship between the drivers.  Both of them act like Petulant children at times,

#37 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:58

I can definitely see Bottas and Rosberg swapping drives for 2017. I'm not sure there needs to be a clear #1 and #2 though as long as they don't start hating each other.

No, Bottas is no young rookie anymore and he will not go in as #2. If they replace Rosberg they'll do it with someone like Vandoorne/Verstappen/Sainz.

I still believe they want to keep Nico. A new WDC creates new opportunities for marketing

#38 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:58

Changing the clutch which influenced Lewis' starts seems to me like working against him. Especially if you consider how perfect his starts have been before. Changing things on Rosberg's car if he's struggling is ok, but on both cars just because one of them is struggling?

Same goes for that new suspension or whatever has caused Lewis to struggle with the car ever since Singapore. To me it seems as if Mercedes are keen on keeping Rosberg motivated and happy at all costs. Even at the cost of compromising their World Champion. 

To me your just paranoid and unwilling to give Rosberg any credit for his recent form.

#39 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:59

Kevin Eason @easonF1

Rumours anounded at #AbuDhabiGP that the public shenanigans are just the tip of the iceberg with Hamilton and Rosberg at war

Im sure that Austin T1 is the trigger. Nico was upset. There were media reports that Hamiltons move was in his opinion compareable to Spa 2014 and that he would had expected that Hamilton will get an similar outrage or at least again a big team meeting, nothing happened. Since then they have tensions and Hamilton said pre Mexico that the team would try to keep Nico happy, then Rosberg had a winning streak which even increased the tension. Something interestimg is going on there.

Edit: Source for that

http://www.auto-moto...s-10225231.html

Edited by Marklar, 02 December 2015 - 11:11.

Advertisement

#40 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:03

So they want to have (change to) a number #1 and #2 driver philosophy?

That's not what Wolff says.

He wants nice guys being nice.

#41 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:04

Effective driver management isn't all about hugs and kisses, sometimes it's about wielding 'The Big Stick', this may just be Toto sensing problems ahead and reminding the drivers they're not indespensible to reign in the egos a bit.

I wonder if this has been an issue all season or just in the last half.....

#42 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:06

Or drivers being more political like Toto I guess. ;) 

Both drivers look very spoiled and when they finally should meet up on track, it would end in tears. That is why I believe they do everything in their power to keep both drivers at least a few seconds apart.

#43 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:09

This is in reaction to Nico but a threat to Lewis.

#44 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,555 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:15

Both Nico and Lewis do whine a lot for having the privilege to ride in a dominate car.  :lol:

#45 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:16

Well, Rosberg would have had 2 titles with that car if Hamilton wasn't performing. Mercedes doesn't need an expensive driver like Hamilton to win these titles for them. 

But I wonder how big the iceberg is. Do we get a wall like Rossi/Lorenzo in the past?

Last 2 years they maybe didn't need a driver like Hamilton but what about next year or the year after when other teams might have caught up? I think they will be laughed at when they are stuck with a Rosberg/Bottas pairing and getting overtaken, raced hard and driven off the track by a Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen or even Alonso in rival cars. In the coming years when their car isn't that dominant anymore they need a star driver to take on the fight with the other teams.

Edited by TheRacingElf, 02 December 2015 - 11:21.

#46 MattK9

MattK9

• 818 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:27

There is something odd about the relationship between the drivers.  Both of them act like Petulant children at times,

If one driver wins and one driver finishes second the other is going to be upset. They are not actling like children for being upset that they lost. And they are not really moaning when answering questions the media ask like why werent you as fast as your teammate?

#47 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:28

No, Bottas is no young rookie anymore and he will not go in as #2. If they replace Rosberg they'll do it with someone like Vandoorne/Verstappen/Sainz.

I still believe they want to keep Nico. A new WDC creates new opportunities for marketing

I don't think Verstappen, from all the things we've seen, is a #2 driver.

Bottas would be a nice fit for the team though, including the Toto connection.

#48 Hamandeggs

Hamandeggs

• 360 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:36

Just saw this and haven't seen the article yet

I'd love Nico to Ferrari  and Grosjean to Mercedes,  Bottas bores me:)

what fun this is,and it is likely imo that Nico will stay but Freds ears will be on fire now:)

#49 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:42

Let's face it, the Merc is so good they don't need both drivers.

No Hamilton, Rosberg wins WDC.
No Rosberg, Hamilton wins WDC.

#50 Hamandeggs

Hamandeggs

• 360 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:46

Let's face it, the Merc is so good they don't need both drivers.

No Hamilton, Rosberg wins WDC.
No Rosberg, Hamilton wins WDC.

Rosberg over Alonso ,Fred is wide awake now0